Is there any point to roam on anything but a chrono or mirage (mostly mirage) anymore?

Atticus.7194

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Logged onto my main the other night and hit up the classic **condi evade spam thief** build. Still works due to the sheer amount of obnoxious evades/constant bleed ticks your enemies will be focusing you (who doesn't love pew pewing at a stealthless thief?) it will give your allies a break from the carnage so they can focus on doing dmg while you're prancing around laughing your behind off because nobody can land any hits on you.

**PROS:** Great at 1vx, can solo literally any objective T1-T3 (probably except for smc ;)), extreme sustain via evades/teleports/low CD block, tanky stats etc, perma swiftness, one of the major troll builds out there and completely dominates new/average players due to the easy no skill playstyle

**CONS:** Ineffective against high condi cleanse classes, stealthless playstyle means smart players will figure out your weakness regarding _Escapist's Absolution_ including when your evade animations end (dump condis on you & cease attacking), SoA nerf so less dodge spam potential, constantly switching between _Unhindered Combatant_ and _Lotus Training_ means you might get caught off-guard by an enemy

Hope that helps, happy hunting.

> @"Zephyra.4709" said:

> Logged onto my main the other night and hit up the classic **condi evade spam thief** build. Still works due to the sheer amount of obnoxious evades/constant bleed ticks your enemies will be focusing you (who doesn't love pew pewing at a stealthless thief?) it will give your allies a break from the carnage so they can focus on doing dmg while you're prancing around laughing your behind off because nobody can land any hits on you.

>

> **PROS:** Great at 1vx, can solo literally any objective T1-T3 (probably except for smc ;)), extreme sustain via evades/teleports/low CD block, tanky stats etc, perma swiftness, one of the major troll builds out there and completely dominates new/average players due to the easy no skill playstyle

>

> **CONS:** Ineffective against high condi cleanse classes, stealthless playstyle means smart players will figure out your weakness regarding _Escapist's Absolution_ including when your evade animations end (dump condis on you & cease attacking), SoA nerf so less dodge spam potential, constantly switching between _Unhindered Combatant_ and _Lotus Training_ means you might get caught off-guard by an enemy

>

> Hope that helps, happy hunting.

The only break your allies and enemies get is when they just have to watch and dont know whether to laugh or cry at the beauty of the prancing.

I roam on my Dragonhunter because it's my main character and I'm stupid idiot who enjoys the playstyle (bow, sword/shield) a lot. It does seem like an uphill climb most of the times in WvW. Many of my opponents - especially spellbreakers - seem to just have more and better options than me in every area.

> @"Traveller.7496" said:

> I roam on my Dragonhunter because it's my main character and I'm stupid idiot who enjoys the playstyle (bow, sword/shield) a lot. It does seem like an uphill climb most of the times in WvW. Many of my opponents - especially spellbreakers - seem to just have more and better options than me in every area.

Haven´t you noticed theres no team work developing classes for this game, only a final and minor iteration process to make class aceptable in damage output or some other gimick, each dev's creates is own class in a random way w/o any sense nor logic xD, reason some classes look and feel stronger than others.

DH was designed to win in powercreep moement with the traps even players w/o skill would be efficient using traps on PvP and PVE, was... initially since was way to efective and due complains Anet had to balance it.

> @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> > @"Traveller.7496" said:

> > I roam on my Dragonhunter because it's my main character and I'm stupid idiot who enjoys the playstyle (bow, sword/shield) a lot. It does seem like an uphill climb most of the times in WvW. Many of my opponents - especially spellbreakers - seem to just have more and better options than me in every area.

>

> Haven´t you noticed theres no team work developing classes for this game, only a final and minor iteration process to make class aceptable in damage output or some other gimick, each dev's creates is own class in a random way w/o any sense nor logic xD, reason some classes look and feel stronger than others.

> DH was designed to win in powercreep moement with the traps even players w/o skill would be efficient using traps on PvP and PVE, was... initially since was way to efective and due complains Anet had to balance it.

>

>

This type of development also encourages them to try and outdo each other. You don’t want to be the guy that made the lame/weak class nobody plays.

> @"Dralor.3701" said:

> > @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> > > @"Traveller.7496" said:

> > > I roam on my Dragonhunter because it's my main character and I'm stupid idiot who enjoys the playstyle (bow, sword/shield) a lot. It does seem like an uphill climb most of the times in WvW. Many of my opponents - especially spellbreakers - seem to just have more and better options than me in every area.

> >

> > Haven´t you noticed theres no team work developing classes for this game, only a final and minor iteration process to make class aceptable in damage output or some other gimick, each dev's creates is own class in a random way w/o any sense nor logic xD, reason some classes look and feel stronger than others.

> > DH was designed to win in powercreep moement with the traps even players w/o skill would be efficient using traps on PvP and PVE, was... initially since was way to efective and due complains Anet had to balance it.

> >

> >

>

> This type of development also encourages them to try and outdo each other. You don’t want to be the guy that made the lame/weak class nobody plays.

Both actually exist, and weak traitline arent that lame at all, maybe is the best balanced and designed class, but since this game is for care bears and scrubs that need alot of help on the spam or powercreep momentum, every one actually jumps on on the real lamer classes cause they hope to get carried with some gimmick.

It is a huge flaw on the dev's that design the classes, wich ended the game already saturated with aoe spam in 2 expantions.... while theres alor of mechanics and skills that need improvements for their possible role.

I just did 3 afternoons of thief in pvp and played 1 afternoon of mesmer. Even tho its the first time I ever played mesmer in pvp/roam I got way more kills than all 3 thief afternoons combined after learning 1 easy mes burst rotation.

Pretty much sums up how unbalanced mesmer is.

But scourge is even more ridicilous in pvp. Braindead easy to kill people in pvp there including plat/gold league

I usually roam with guardian...I win most of the fights, just sucks to know that 60% of the time I engage a enemy he at any time will be able turn around and run away and theres nothing that could do about that...i play for fun, playing a OP profession/build is not fun, last time i played Spellbreaker(havent played warrior since PoF beta test) i feel like I was hacking or something, diference between warrior and guardian for roaming is like day and night, I assume the diference must be even bigger with Mesmer.>

@"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"BLANE.8346" said:

> > Pretty much sums up how unbalanced mesmer is.

>

> Or maybe you just sucked on the thief? How would we know?

>

>

Or mesmer is just overperforming? Like the first time I played Holo on WvW...never touched a engi since Cele meta on sPvP, just got my engi with full PVT armor(AC dungeon stuff lol) and blue quality trinkets(yeah basically was playing with no trinkets) and was having more sucess then with Guardian, that I used to play everyday...its how the game works I guess, some professions just have better tools to handle certain situations.

@"Felipe.1807" not picking at your view here, but yes, guards mobility isn't designed for solo roaming. My weaver can out run MOST classes most times if I feel Like I need to. ( turn a corner and oh crap a Zerg!).

I've done some two man with a guard and me on a weaver. If we chase off a thief or Mesmer, it's a win. Usually, we can keep them in combat to get close again, but if they are built to escape, then oh well.

Some builds do some things better. But I don't see the ability to disengage and reset as being either OP, or unfair.

Plus: weaver really doesn't have any significant cooldowns so there is that...

> @"Felipe.1807" said:

> Or mesmer is just overperforming? Like the first time I played Holo on WvW...never touched a engi since Cele meta on sPvP, just got my engi with full PVT armor(AC dungeon stuff lol) and blue quality trinkets(yeah basically was playing with no trinkets) and was having more sucess then with Guardian, that I used to play everyday...its how the game works I guess, some professions just have better tools to handle certain situations.

Yes, some professions do have better tools to handle certain situations - that does not automatically equal overperforming. As I mentioned in another thread, you can go to each class subsection and find WvW roaming videos of people using their builds to roflstomp enemies. Yes, you will even find revs crushing things when roaming.

All the classes have different skill floors and ceilings and literally everyone have different skills themselves. Mesmer is a fairly easy class to get into but at the same time even if you play one you *will* meet mesmers that absolutely crushes you. A class is underperforming and overperforming at the same time? No, that's called skill difference. And when you got that, it's hard *not* to "overperform" I'm afraid, unless you mean that literally every player that reach a certain point of skill with a class should be forced to play another class they are bad at just to keep the playing field level.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Felipe.1807" said:

> > Or mesmer is just overperforming? Like the first time I played Holo on WvW...never touched a engi since Cele meta on sPvP, just got my engi with full PVT armor(AC dungeon stuff lol) and blue quality trinkets(yeah basically was playing with no trinkets) and was having more sucess then with Guardian, that I used to play everyday...its how the game works I guess, some professions just have better tools to handle certain situations.

>

> Yes, some professions do have better tools to handle certain situations - that does not automatically equal overperforming. As I mentioned in another thread, you can go to each class subsection and find WvW roaming videos of people using their builds to roflstomp enemies. Yes, you will even find revs crushing things when roaming.

>

> All the classes have different skill floors and ceilings and literally everyone have different skills themselves. Mesmer is a fairly easy class to get into but at the same time even if you play one you *will* meet mesmers that absolutely crushes you. A class is underperforming and overperforming at the same time? No, that's called skill difference. And when you got that, it's hard *not* to "overperform" I'm afraid, unless you mean that literally every player that reach a certain point of skill with a class should be forced to play another class they are bad at just to keep the playing field level.

Like I said, there are professions and builds who have better tools for certain situations, that indeniable...Guardian have poor mobility, no acess to stealth, etc...this makes him by nature a poor profession for the role of roaming, but it does have great support by heals and boons which makes him great(best?) for the support role on a zerg...thief on the other hand, for example, have great mobility, high burst damage, acess to stealth on demand, evades skills on many weapon sets and utility skills(best damage reduction is not get hit at all), but offer poor support options, the ones he does, are either unwanted by big scale fight or are just done better by other professions...

Finding vids on youtube on someone using "x" profession beating someone with "Y" preofession as evidence that theres no diference on performance of said professions is invalid...theres a famous vid of thief killing people using just fireworks...mesmer is overperforming right now, being able to do high burst damage, while having high survival by evade frames, invulnerabilities and also high mobility is way to much...and the AI clone spam is to much aswell, its so ridiculous that the game cant even render all the models sometimes, making both the mesmer and some of his clones literally invisible lol...mesmer has allways dominated the duel stuff on WvW, i dont mind that...but right is plaguing sPvP too, and there is where the game is supposed to be somewhat balanced

> @"Felipe.1807" said:

> > @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > > @"Felipe.1807" said:

> > > Or mesmer is just overperforming? Like the first time I played Holo on WvW...never touched a engi since Cele meta on sPvP, just got my engi with full PVT armor(AC dungeon stuff lol) and blue quality trinkets(yeah basically was playing with no trinkets) and was having more sucess then with Guardian, that I used to play everyday...its how the game works I guess, some professions just have better tools to handle certain situations.

> >

> > Yes, some professions do have better tools to handle certain situations - that does not automatically equal overperforming. As I mentioned in another thread, you can go to each class subsection and find WvW roaming videos of people using their builds to roflstomp enemies. Yes, you will even find revs crushing things when roaming.

> >

> > All the classes have different skill floors and ceilings and literally everyone have different skills themselves. Mesmer is a fairly easy class to get into but at the same time even if you play one you *will* meet mesmers that absolutely crushes you. A class is underperforming and overperforming at the same time? No, that's called skill difference. And when you got that, it's hard *not* to "overperform" I'm afraid, unless you mean that literally every player that reach a certain point of skill with a class should be forced to play another class they are bad at just to keep the playing field level.

>

> Like I said, there are professions and builds who have better tools for certain situations, that indeniable...Guardian have poor mobility, no acess to stealth, etc...this makes him by nature a poor profession for the role of roaming, but it does have great support by heals and boons which makes him great(best?) for the support role on a zerg...t

Guardians have no "natural" access to stealth (They (DH) can stealth via trapper runes)

just wanted to mention this :)

> @"Felipe.1807" said:

> Guardian have poor mobility

Ignoring trapper runes as mentioned above, dh has better mobility than many other classes and much of it is stock guard (sword/judge). They probably come in third after mesmer and thief, well maybe tied with the ranger. And incidently trapper dh is one of those builds that can completely roflstomp both mesmers and thieves. It's also one of the best "surprise zerg stoppers" since you can dump traps and still get them on cd. Good for door/wall breaches. The longbow is also a decent enough weapon for zerg backline while it has many other skills that can offer support.

So poor choice of comparison really, dh is one of the roamers that can rival mesmers and thieves when it's played by good people.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> > @"Felipe.1807" said:

> > Guardian have poor mobility

>

> Ignoring trapper runes as mentioned above, dh has better mobility than many other classes and much of it is stock guard (sword/judge). They probably come in third after mesmer and thief, well maybe tied with the ranger. And incidently trapper dh is one of those builds that can completely roflstomp both mesmers and thieves. It's also one of the best "surprise zerg stoppers" since you can dump traps and still get them on cd. Good for door/wall breaches. The longbow is also a decent enough weapon for zerg backline while it has many other skills that can offer support.

>

> So poor choice of comparison really, dh is one of the roamers that can rival mesmers and thieves when it's played by good people.

I dont know a single serious guardian(DH) that would use trapper runes to roam, all the ones that I faced where no challange, but I guess skill diference might have come in play here....you can say that a DH can be good in a duel, and even have the upper hand against Mesmer and Thief(i dont see this happening), but to say that decent mobility? He have decent combat mobility, with sword and JI, and both requires a target, but if you find yourself in a bad position, whatever you got outplayed by the enemy or saw a enemy zerg inc, you cant just turn around and make the then eat dust, when you commit to a fight, the only way to leave is either by stomping the enemy or WP back to spawn.( gotta be lucky to be able to F2 wings two times with elite and then finding a target to sword 2 and JI)