Map Completion and Play As You Want - Legandaries

I like and agree that legendary components should come from various game modes to encourage players that want legendaries to be versed in differing game modes. That said I think it leans more time wise towards PvE. To that end we have a way to unlock hero challenges via WvW proofs. Along those same lines I think there should be ways to take PvP, WvW and Fractal currencies to buy unlocks for Hearts. Leave the map exploration pieces in place (PoI, Vistas, Wps) but allow players to choose to spend their other game mode currencies to unlock HPs and /or Hearts. This would create more use/demand of other currencies, still require players to do mixed game modes, but also allow players to pick how their time will be spent when unlocking needed map completion objectives. If the concept included both the account bound and non-bound currencies in sufficient number it would also increase the demand for those trade-able currencies and still require players to spend time in game to earn the account bound ones needed to unlock the other half of the currency for the heart. Like to Fractal, spend Fractal currencies to unlock hearts, like to PvP but have more of those the PvP, spend both types of currencies, same with WvW. You would still need to spend some time on map completion, but could also spend excise currencies earned while in other game modes to advance the PvE side of the equation. And considering newer zones have less hearts the same concept that is applied to the HPS could be done here. Less HPs that are worth more, cost more. Same with Hearts. Less means each one more expensive to keep the balance between Core, HoT and PoF.

Thanks for your time, Good Crafting!

You're always free to play how you want. Like map exploration? You're rewarded for it. Don't like it? You're not missing out on anything that would make it easier for you to play the content you do like.

Legendaries are nothing but glorified skins. If you enjoy spending your time jumping through hoops to get those skins, great for you. If not you're not in any way disadvantaged in playing the parts of the game you do like.

"Play as you want" does mean you can play whatever you enjoy, without the need to prepare for it by playing stuff you don't enjoy (flashbacks to older mmos where you had to grind your way through the always same questlines and dungeons/raids to even participate in endgame activities, good thing that's in the past). What it doesn't mean is you get any skin (and other cosmetic reward) you desire by only playing content of your choice.

> @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> You're always free to play how you want. Like map exploration? You're rewarded for it. Don't like it? You're not missing out on anything that would make it easier for you to play the content you do like.

>

> Legendaries are nothing but glorified skins. If you enjoy spending your time jumping through hoops to get those skins, great for you. If not you're not in any way disadvantaged in playing the parts of the game you do like.

>

> "Play as you want" does mean you can play whatever you enjoy, without the need to prepare for it by playing stuff you don't enjoy (flashbacks to older mmos where you had to grind your way through the always same questlines and dungeons/raids to even participate in endgame activities, good thing that's in the past). What it doesn't mean is you get any skin (and other cosmetic reward) you desire by only playing content of your choice.

If what this person said is to complicated for anyone to understand, it means you can play your character any way you want, does not mean play the game mode you want...big difference between the two(especially when it comes to cosmetics, which is simply what Legendaries are.

> @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > You're always free to play how you want. Like map exploration? You're rewarded for it. Don't like it? You're not missing out on anything that would make it easier for you to play the content you do like.

> >

> > Legendaries are nothing but glorified skins. If you enjoy spending your time jumping through hoops to get those skins, great for you. If not you're not in any way disadvantaged in playing the parts of the game you do like.

> >

> > "Play as you want" does mean you can play whatever you enjoy, without the need to prepare for it by playing stuff you don't enjoy (flashbacks to older mmos where you had to grind your way through the always same questlines and dungeons/raids to even participate in endgame activities, good thing that's in the past). What it doesn't mean is you get any skin (and other cosmetic reward) you desire by only playing content of your choice.

>

> If what this person said is to complicated for anyone to understand, it means you can play your character any way you want, does not mean play the game mode you want...big difference between the two(especially when it comes to cosmetics, which is simply what Legendaries are.

last time i tried to take my turret engineer to PoF, they melted her face

"play as you want "is really only valid for core OW

if you happen to like a non-meta spec...too bad

> @"battledrone.8315" said:

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > > You're always free to play how you want. Like map exploration? You're rewarded for it. Don't like it? You're not missing out on anything that would make it easier for you to play the content you do like.

> > >

> > > Legendaries are nothing but glorified skins. If you enjoy spending your time jumping through hoops to get those skins, great for you. If not you're not in any way disadvantaged in playing the parts of the game you do like.

> > >

> > > "Play as you want" does mean you can play whatever you enjoy, without the need to prepare for it by playing stuff you don't enjoy (flashbacks to older mmos where you had to grind your way through the always same questlines and dungeons/raids to even participate in endgame activities, good thing that's in the past). What it doesn't mean is you get any skin (and other cosmetic reward) you desire by only playing content of your choice.

> >

> > If what this person said is to complicated for anyone to understand, it means you can play your character any way you want, does not mean play the game mode you want...big difference between the two(especially when it comes to cosmetics, which is simply what Legendaries are.

>

> last time i tried to take my turret engineer to PoF, they melted her face

> "play as you want "is really only valid for core OW

> if you happen to like a non-meta spec...too bad

lol... sure... PoF open world requires meta builds now... Seriously...

Don't mistake personal lack of skill and awareness with build requirements. PoF is not harder than HoT, it's actually easier in terms of mob strength. The problem is a wider aggro range, so if you don't kill stuff, especially ranged, you'll get tossed out of your mount sooner or later.

But, unlike HoT, all PoF Hero Challenges are **easily** soloed by any class, and there's pretty much no reason not to complete exploration solo...

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > You're always free to play how you want. Like map exploration? You're rewarded for it. Don't like it? You're not missing out on anything that would make it easier for you to play the content you do like.

> > >

> > > Legendaries are nothing but glorified skins. If you enjoy spending your time jumping through hoops to get those skins, great for you. If not you're not in any way disadvantaged in playing the parts of the game you do like.

> > >

> > > "Play as you want" does mean you can play whatever you enjoy, without the need to prepare for it by playing stuff you don't enjoy (flashbacks to older mmos where you had to grind your way through the always same questlines and dungeons/raids to even participate in endgame activities, good thing that's in the past). What it doesn't mean is you get any skin (and other cosmetic reward) you desire by only playing content of your choice.

> >

> > If what this person said is to complicated for anyone to understand, it means you can play your character any way you want, does not mean play the game mode you want...big difference between the two(especially when it comes to cosmetics, which is simply what Legendaries are.

>

There's a difference between "play as you want" and "beat anything with anything". You really don't need meta builds nor top-of-the-line equipment to succeed on the PoF maps, but as endgame areas they do require a bit of thought and adjustment to sail through.

That said, I've played the PoF map with a variety of characters, none of them in any kind of meta build (as a matter of fact, there is no such thing as an open world pve meta build in this game to begin with), most of them with sub-par builds and equipment since build customization is not among my favourite parts of mmo gaming in general and I'm usually content as long as what I've picked up on the way gets the job done. I'm still doing ok in PoF maps even with classes that I'm only half familiar with, as long as I'm willing to check my trait and skill tool tips and switch out stuff if needed.

Most of the time it is just a very minor adjustment, often just a single utility skill, a quick weapon change or one or two traits that allow me to overcome the obstacle(s). I can see the challenge if you insist on turrets (I guess they can easily over-aggro on PoF maps), but it should still be doable to play the maps and story on a turret engineer.

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > >

> > >

> >

>

meta applies to group content only, or you trying to tell me you can't beat PoF without meta 10-man raid squad with optimized builds and gear?

> > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Core turrent engi can Solo pof story and do pof map completion. Been there done that.

> @"Neural.1824" said:

> Sure. And I want to buy a Gift of Battle with Fractal Relics, Dungeon Tokens, Auric Dust, etc.

Or, just have Miyani make Exploration/Battle into a conversion. I think the calculations time-wise were something on the border of 4:1, so turn in one Exploration for 4 Battle and vice versa.

Or let's just make Gift of Exploration/Battle tradeable on the market. WvW folks get a big infusion of cash, and those who don't want to do map completion (to be fair, those hearts are boring) can skips while ambitious map-runners can make coin. I'd certainly be wiling to pay the premium to never step foot in WvW for the 3-4 legendaries I have planned.

Anet only ever applied the phrase "play how you want" to two things:

1) There is no "holy trinity" in GW2, any profession can fulfill any type of role which means players can choose the profession they want without being forced into a play style or group role they don't enjoy. A warrior can be a support character, a guardian can be a 'glass cannon' damage dealer, an elementalist can be a defensive 'tank' build etc.

2) You don't have to spend hours leveling up and getting gear in PvE before you can play PvP or WvW - you can focus on the game mode/s you like and still earn everything you need to play.

That doesn't mean you can get every reward in the game playing exclusively in one mode, it just means that anything which can only be obtained in one specific area, or which requires playing lots of areas, won't be necessary to play. No one's going to tell you that you need raid gear (or even dungeon gear) before you can be competitive in PvP (or if they do they're wrong because it makes no difference).

We already have components of all three game modes in a Legendary, outside of direct TP purchases. The point is these are not all balanced. I am a PvXer hence where my PoV comes from. Spend significant time in all three and Legies are very heavy PvE, which isn't bad, but repetitive hearts are boring after 3/4 times. You always want to give people goals but this could be improved upon.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > @"battledrone.8315" said:

> > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > > > You're always free to play how you want. Like map exploration? You're rewarded for it. Don't like it? You're not missing out on anything that would make it easier for you to play the content you do like.

> > > >

> > > > Legendaries are nothing but glorified skins. If you enjoy spending your time jumping through hoops to get those skins, great for you. If not you're not in any way disadvantaged in playing the parts of the game you do like.

> > > >

> > > > "Play as you want" does mean you can play whatever you enjoy, without the need to prepare for it by playing stuff you don't enjoy (flashbacks to older mmos where you had to grind your way through the always same questlines and dungeons/raids to even participate in endgame activities, good thing that's in the past). What it doesn't mean is you get any skin (and other cosmetic reward) you desire by only playing content of your choice.

> > >

> > > If what this person said is to complicated for anyone to understand, it means you can play your character any way you want, does not mean play the game mode you want...big difference between the two(especially when it comes to cosmetics, which is simply what Legendaries are.

> >

> > last time i tried to take my turret engineer to PoF, they melted her face

> > "play as you want "is really only valid for core OW

> > if you happen to like a non-meta spec...too bad

>

> meta applies to group content only, or you trying to tell me you can't beat PoF without meta 10-man raid squad with optimized builds and gear?

SOLO..i expect story to be for one person

maybe i could beat it, but it would take a very nasty man with a big gun to my head

since i had seen the content on my ranger, i just didnt bother anymore

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"battledrone.8315" said:

> > > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > > @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > > > > You're always free to play how you want. Like map exploration? You're rewarded for it. Don't like it? You're not missing out on anything that would make it easier for you to play the content you do like.

> > > > >

> > > > > Legendaries are nothing but glorified skins. If you enjoy spending your time jumping through hoops to get those skins, great for you. If not you're not in any way disadvantaged in playing the parts of the game you do like.

> > > > >

> > > > > "Play as you want" does mean you can play whatever you enjoy, without the need to prepare for it by playing stuff you don't enjoy (flashbacks to older mmos where you had to grind your way through the always same questlines and dungeons/raids to even participate in endgame activities, good thing that's in the past). What it doesn't mean is you get any skin (and other cosmetic reward) you desire by only playing content of your choice.

> > > >

> > > > If what this person said is to complicated for anyone to understand, it means you can play your character any way you want, does not mean play the game mode you want...big difference between the two(especially when it comes to cosmetics, which is simply what Legendaries are.

> > >

> > > last time i tried to take my turret engineer to PoF, they melted her face

> > > "play as you want "is really only valid for core OW

> > > if you happen to like a non-meta spec...too bad

> >

> > meta applies to group content only, or you trying to tell me you can't beat PoF without meta 10-man raid squad with optimized builds and gear?

>

> SOLO..i expect story to be for one person

It is. Have you ever considered that in your case a player may be a problem?

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > @"battledrone.8315" said:

> > > > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > > > @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > > > > > You're always free to play how you want. Like map exploration? You're rewarded for it. Don't like it? You're not missing out on anything that would make it easier for you to play the content you do like.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Legendaries are nothing but glorified skins. If you enjoy spending your time jumping through hoops to get those skins, great for you. If not you're not in any way disadvantaged in playing the parts of the game you do like.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > "Play as you want" does mean you can play whatever you enjoy, without the need to prepare for it by playing stuff you don't enjoy (flashbacks to older mmos where you had to grind your way through the always same questlines and dungeons/raids to even participate in endgame activities, good thing that's in the past). What it doesn't mean is you get any skin (and other cosmetic reward) you desire by only playing content of your choice.

> > > > >

> > > > > If what this person said is to complicated for anyone to understand, it means you can play your character any way you want, does not mean play the game mode you want...big difference between the two(especially when it comes to cosmetics, which is simply what Legendaries are.

> > > >

> > > > last time i tried to take my turret engineer to PoF, they melted her face

> > > > "play as you want "is really only valid for core OW

> > > > if you happen to like a non-meta spec...too bad

> > >

> > > meta applies to group content only, or you trying to tell me you can't beat PoF without meta 10-man raid squad with optimized builds and gear?

> >

> > SOLO..i expect story to be for one person

>

> It is. Have you ever considered that in your case a player may be a problem?

>

>

so, a suboptimal player isnt a PERSON?

i guess thats why the game is going downhill

imagine the commercial for that..."this is the gameplay, that 1 out of 10 players prefer"

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > @"battledrone.8315" said:

> > > > > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > > > > @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > > > > > > You're always free to play how you want. Like map exploration? You're rewarded for it. Don't like it? You're not missing out on anything that would make it easier for you to play the content you do like.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Legendaries are nothing but glorified skins. If you enjoy spending your time jumping through hoops to get those skins, great for you. If not you're not in any way disadvantaged in playing the parts of the game you do like.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > "Play as you want" does mean you can play whatever you enjoy, without the need to prepare for it by playing stuff you don't enjoy (flashbacks to older mmos where you had to grind your way through the always same questlines and dungeons/raids to even participate in endgame activities, good thing that's in the past). What it doesn't mean is you get any skin (and other cosmetic reward) you desire by only playing content of your choice.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > If what this person said is to complicated for anyone to understand, it means you can play your character any way you want, does not mean play the game mode you want...big difference between the two(especially when it comes to cosmetics, which is simply what Legendaries are.

> > > > >

> > > > > last time i tried to take my turret engineer to PoF, they melted her face

> > > > > "play as you want "is really only valid for core OW

> > > > > if you happen to like a non-meta spec...too bad

> > > >

> > > > meta applies to group content only, or you trying to tell me you can't beat PoF without meta 10-man raid squad with optimized builds and gear?

> > >

> > > SOLO..i expect story to be for one person

> >

> > It is. Have you ever considered that in your case a player may be a problem?

> >

> >

> so, a suboptimal player isnt a PERSON?

> i guess thats why the game is going downhill

> imagine the commercial for that..."this is the gameplay, that 1 out of 10 players prefer"

But the story is balanced for single player already. I have difficulties understanding your issue.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > @"battledrone.8315" said:

> > > > > > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > > > > > > > You're always free to play how you want. Like map exploration? You're rewarded for it. Don't like it? You're not missing out on anything that would make it easier for you to play the content you do like.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Legendaries are nothing but glorified skins. If you enjoy spending your time jumping through hoops to get those skins, great for you. If not you're not in any way disadvantaged in playing the parts of the game you do like.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > "Play as you want" does mean you can play whatever you enjoy, without the need to prepare for it by playing stuff you don't enjoy (flashbacks to older mmos where you had to grind your way through the always same questlines and dungeons/raids to even participate in endgame activities, good thing that's in the past). What it doesn't mean is you get any skin (and other cosmetic reward) you desire by only playing content of your choice.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > If what this person said is to complicated for anyone to understand, it means you can play your character any way you want, does not mean play the game mode you want...big difference between the two(especially when it comes to cosmetics, which is simply what Legendaries are.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > last time i tried to take my turret engineer to PoF, they melted her face

> > > > > > "play as you want "is really only valid for core OW

> > > > > > if you happen to like a non-meta spec...too bad

> > > > >

> > > > > meta applies to group content only, or you trying to tell me you can't beat PoF without meta 10-man raid squad with optimized builds and gear?

> > > >

> > > > SOLO..i expect story to be for one person

> > >

> > > It is. Have you ever considered that in your case a player may be a problem?

> > >

> > >

> > so, a suboptimal player isnt a PERSON?

> > i guess thats why the game is going downhill

> > imagine the commercial for that..."this is the gameplay, that 1 out of 10 players prefer"

>

> But the story is balanced for single player already. I have difficulties understanding your issue.

if that was true, you wouldnt have big threads , like the one about the departed, would you?

if that was true, you would have more than 5 mio players in the expansions zones...did this happen?

if that was true, anet wouldnt have to nerf the same content MULTIPLE TIMES

PS i would love to see you solo mordy

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Neural.1824" said:

> > Sure. And I want to buy a Gift of Battle with Fractal Relics, Dungeon Tokens, Auric Dust, etc.

> Well, both an alternative way to get gift of battle for PvE players, and alternative way to get gift of exploration for WvW/SPvP players seems reasonable to me.

>

Except that is not what he is suggesting regarding the Gift of Exploration. His suggestion leave the exploring part of the gift firmly in pve. I see nothing wrong with the Gift of Exploration requiring, you know, exploring, whilst taking a charr 20 drinks can be bought with other currency.

> > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > @"battledrone.8315" said:

> > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > @"battledrone.8315" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > > > > > > > > You're always free to play how you want. Like map exploration? You're rewarded for it. Don't like it? You're not missing out on anything that would make it easier for you to play the content you do like.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > Legendaries are nothing but glorified skins. If you enjoy spending your time jumping through hoops to get those skins, great for you. If not you're not in any way disadvantaged in playing the parts of the game you do like.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > "Play as you want" does mean you can play whatever you enjoy, without the need to prepare for it by playing stuff you don't enjoy (flashbacks to older mmos where you had to grind your way through the always same questlines and dungeons/raids to even participate in endgame activities, good thing that's in the past). What it doesn't mean is you get any skin (and other cosmetic reward) you desire by only playing content of your choice.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > If what this person said is to complicated for anyone to understand, it means you can play your character any way you want, does not mean play the game mode you want...big difference between the two(especially when it comes to cosmetics, which is simply what Legendaries are.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > last time i tried to take my turret engineer to PoF, they melted her face

> > > > > > > "play as you want "is really only valid for core OW

> > > > > > > if you happen to like a non-meta spec...too bad

> > > > > >

> > > > > > meta applies to group content only, or you trying to tell me you can't beat PoF without meta 10-man raid squad with optimized builds and gear?

> > > > >

> > > > > SOLO..i expect story to be for one person

> > > >

> > > > It is. Have you ever considered that in your case a player may be a problem?

> > > >

> > > >

> > > so, a suboptimal player isnt a PERSON?

> > > i guess thats why the game is going downhill

> > > imagine the commercial for that..."this is the gameplay, that 1 out of 10 players prefer"

> >

> > But the story is balanced for single player already. I have difficulties understanding your issue.

>

> if that was true, you wouldnt have big threads , like the one about the departed, would you?

> if that was true, you would have more than 5 mio players in the expansions zones...did this happen?

> if that was true, anet wouldnt have to nerf the same content MULTIPLE TIMES

> PS i would love to see you solo mordy

I soloed him multiple times, thank you.

> @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > @"battledrone.8315" said:

> > > > > > > @"Kheldorn.5123" said:

> > > > > > > > @"battledrone.8315" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Zaklex.6308" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > > > > > > > > > You're always free to play how you want. Like map exploration? You're rewarded for it. Don't like it? You're not missing out on anything that would make it easier for you to play the content you do like.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > Legendaries are nothing but glorified skins. If you enjoy spending your time jumping through hoops to get those skins, great for you. If not you're not in any way disadvantaged in playing the parts of the game you do like.

> > > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > > "Play as you want" does mean you can play whatever you enjoy, without the need to prepare for it by playing stuff you don't enjoy (flashbacks to older mmos where you had to grind your way through the always same questlines and dungeons/raids to even participate in endgame activities, good thing that's in the past). What it doesn't mean is you get any skin (and other cosmetic reward) you desire by only playing content of your choice.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > If what this person said is to complicated for anyone to understand, it means you can play your character any way you want, does not mean play the game mode you want...big difference between the two(especially when it comes to cosmetics, which is simply what Legendaries are.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > last time i tried to take my turret engineer to PoF, they melted her face

> > > > > > > > "play as you want "is really only valid for core OW

> > > > > > > > if you happen to like a non-meta spec...too bad

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > meta applies to group content only, or you trying to tell me you can't beat PoF without meta 10-man raid squad with optimized builds and gear?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > SOLO..i expect story to be for one person

> > > > >

> > > > > It is. Have you ever considered that in your case a player may be a problem?

> > > > >

> > > > >

> > > > so, a suboptimal player isnt a PERSON?

> > > > i guess thats why the game is going downhill

> > > > imagine the commercial for that..."this is the gameplay, that 1 out of 10 players prefer"

> > >

> > > But the story is balanced for single player already. I have difficulties understanding your issue.

> >

> > if that was true, you wouldnt have big threads , like the one about the departed, would you?

> > if that was true, you would have more than 5 mio players in the expansions zones...did this happen?

> > if that was true, anet wouldnt have to nerf the same content MULTIPLE TIMES

> > PS i would love to see you solo mordy

>

> I soloed him multiple times, thank you.

pics, or it didnt happen

even if it is true, designing the story content for a niche group isnt exactly good for the longevity of the game