Need Different Female Body Types

Spiral.3724

> @"lokh.2695" said:

> I always wondered how one of the most PC developers didn't give us body positive(read: overweight) body types. Not just for human females but for all race/gender combinations. There's one plus sized body model and it's a norn male.

I named a toon after my acc name and it was banned for inappropriate name. You really think they are going to make fat sized models, also do people say + size to not corse offence?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To state the obvious, the way that the human body (or any other animal) protects itself from damage. The skin protects the other organs from the outside elements, it prevents direct attack on the muscles, etc. Then there's a layer of fat to protect against blunt impact and after that there's muscles as a final stop to prevent the organs getting hurt/damaged since those are significantly weaker. Not having fat means that blunt damage can be focused on small areas of the inner body maximizing the attack's effectiveness. Seeing muscle tone indicates a lack of fat and in turn demonstrates that while the person may be able to swing like a bear, he's essentially throwing stones from a glass house. So yes, many GW2 models are too thin to be combat viable as the person would not be able to take a hit.

However, this body positivity stuff usually implies the other end. Being fatter means more strain on all muscles (including heart and lungs) meaning that stamina is heavily impaired and combat effectiveness is reduced because the fat impedes the body from functioning properly in a combat scenario. The boxers among us can also affirm that standing inside a ring using your entire body takes a great deal of stamina, so to get to these body positivity fat levels would require them to take in a tremendous amount of food.

In turn the result would be a no to muscle tones for both males and females. But at the same time, if we're going for body positivity, I think we should do it in full. Fatter models should incur swiftness duration, might duration, quickness duration and fury duration penalties. Mounts should also incur a movement speed or lift penalty depending on the weight they are carrying compared to the optimum body composition.

> @"reaVer.4056" said:

> To state the obvious, the way that the human body (or any other animal) protects itself from damage. The skin protects the other organs from the outside elements, it prevents direct attack on the muscles, etc. Then there's a layer of fat to protect against blunt impact and after that there's muscles as a final stop to prevent the organs getting hurt/damaged since those are significantly weaker. Not having fat means that blunt damage can be focused on small areas of the inner body maximizing the attack's effectiveness. Seeing muscle tone indicates a lack of fat and in turn demonstrates that while the person may be able to swing like a bear, he's essentially throwing stones from a glass house. So yes, many GW2 models are too thin to be combat viable as the person would not be able to take a hit.

>

> However, this body positivity stuff usually implies the other end. Being fatter means more strain on all muscles (including heart and lungs) meaning that stamina is heavily impaired and combat effectiveness is reduced because the fat impedes the body from functioning properly in a combat scenario. The boxers among us can also affirm that standing inside a ring using your entire body takes a great deal of stamina, so to get to these body positivity fat levels would require them to take in a tremendous amount of food.

>

> In turn the result would be a no to muscle tones for both males and females. But at the same time, if we're going for body positivity, I think we should do it in full. Fatter models should incur swiftness duration, might duration, quickness duration and fury duration penalties. Mounts should also incur a movement speed or lift penalty depending on the weight they are carrying compared to the optimum body composition.

Alongside the above, bigger models should have different lines of dialogue, replacing lines like "I can outrun a centaur!" with lines like "Ouch! My knees hurt." or heavy breathing/coughing.

To stay more on topic: Our toons live in a world of magic and technology, maybe my max sized, beer bellied norn thief uses some of that to be at the same level of movement speed and endurance than his slender human-female counterparts, who knows. It's just always kinda irks me, when I think of the lenghts ANet goes to when it comes to PC'ness and inclusion, but when it comes to their character models, especially the human ones, you get to chose between 5 variations of stereotypical Barbie and Ken clones.

> @"lokh.2695" said:

> > @"reaVer.4056" said:

> > To state the obvious, the way that the human body (or any other animal) protects itself from damage. The skin protects the other organs from the outside elements, it prevents direct attack on the muscles, etc. Then there's a layer of fat to protect against blunt impact and after that there's muscles as a final stop to prevent the organs getting hurt/damaged since those are significantly weaker. Not having fat means that blunt damage can be focused on small areas of the inner body maximizing the attack's effectiveness. Seeing muscle tone indicates a lack of fat and in turn demonstrates that while the person may be able to swing like a bear, he's essentially throwing stones from a glass house. So yes, many GW2 models are too thin to be combat viable as the person would not be able to take a hit.

> >

> > However, this body positivity stuff usually implies the other end. Being fatter means more strain on all muscles (including heart and lungs) meaning that stamina is heavily impaired and combat effectiveness is reduced because the fat impedes the body from functioning properly in a combat scenario. The boxers among us can also affirm that standing inside a ring using your entire body takes a great deal of stamina, so to get to these body positivity fat levels would require them to take in a tremendous amount of food.

> >

> > In turn the result would be a no to muscle tones for both males and females. But at the same time, if we're going for body positivity, I think we should do it in full. Fatter models should incur swiftness duration, might duration, quickness duration and fury duration penalties. Mounts should also incur a movement speed or lift penalty depending on the weight they are carrying compared to the optimum body composition.

>

> Alongside the above, bigger models should have different lines of dialogue, replacing lines like "I can outrun a centaur!" with lines like "Ouch! My knees hurt." or heavy breathing/coughing.

>

> To stay more on topic: Our toons live in a world of magic and technology, maybe my max sized, beer bellied norn thief uses some of that to be at the same level of movement speed and endurance than his slender human-female counterparts, who knows. It's just always kinda irks me, when I think of the lenghts ANet goes to when it comes to PC'ness and inclusion, but when it comes to their character models, especially the human ones, you get to chose between 5 variations of stereotypical Barbie and Ken clones.

Does that surprise you? It's the 5 models 99+% of the players would pick anyway for aesthetic and immersion identity reasons. Creating different models for the sake of inclusion is just not worth the development cost.

> @Haishao.6851 said:

> >Fantasy is not realistic enough.

>

Not only that but "Idealized fantasy" to bood.> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > @"lokh.2695" said:

> > > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > @"lokh.2695" said:

> > > > > @"reaVer.4056" said:

> > > > > To state the obvious, the way that the human body (or any other animal) protects itself from damage. The skin protects the other organs from the outside elements, it prevents direct attack on the muscles, etc. Then there's a layer of fat to protect against blunt impact and after that there's muscles as a final stop to prevent the organs getting hurt/damaged since those are significantly weaker. Not having fat means that blunt damage can be focused on small areas of the inner body maximizing the attack's effectiveness. Seeing muscle tone indicates a lack of fat and in turn demonstrates that while the person may be able to swing like a bear, he's essentially throwing stones from a glass house. So yes, many GW2 models are too thin to be combat viable as the person would not be able to take a hit.

> > > > >

> > > > > However, this body positivity stuff usually implies the other end. Being fatter means more strain on all muscles (including heart and lungs) meaning that stamina is heavily impaired and combat effectiveness is reduced because the fat impedes the body from functioning properly in a combat scenario. The boxers among us can also affirm that standing inside a ring using your entire body takes a great deal of stamina, so to get to these body positivity fat levels would require them to take in a tremendous amount of food.

> > > > >

> > > > > In turn the result would be a no to muscle tones for both males and females. But at the same time, if we're going for body positivity, I think we should do it in full. Fatter models should incur swiftness duration, might duration, quickness duration and fury duration penalties. Mounts should also incur a movement speed or lift penalty depending on the weight they are carrying compared to the optimum body composition.

> > > >

> > > > Alongside the above, bigger models should have different lines of dialogue, replacing lines like "I can outrun a centaur!" with lines like "Ouch! My knees hurt." or heavy breathing/coughing.

> > > >

> > > > To stay more on topic: Our toons live in a world of magic and technology, maybe my max sized, beer bellied norn thief uses some of that to be at the same level of movement speed and endurance than his slender human-female counterparts, who knows. It's just always kinda irks me, when I think of the lenghts ANet goes to when it comes to PC'ness and inclusion, but when it comes to their character models, especially the human ones, you get to chose between 5 variations of stereotypical Barbie and Ken clones.

> > >

> > > Does that surprise you? It's the 5 models 99+% of the players would pick anyway for aesthetic and immersion identity reasons. Creating different models for the sake of inclusion is just not worth the development cost.

> >

> > When I started playing GW2, I didn't know what kind of studio ANet was, so I wasn't suprsed to find the typical tropes for body types represented in the game. It kinda suprises me when I think about it, only now that I know how PC and inclusive Anet wants to present itself. I'm not saying "WE NEED THESE TYPES NAOWWW OR I RIOT!!!!!" I don't care about it and to not spend resources on including the whole spectrum of the human form was probably a good choice for the devs. It just irks me, that's all. I am well aware that my body positive norn thief is the exception and that 99% of the playerbase will go for a generic, long-legged, hourglass female with huge knockers. Adding more options just wouldn't hurt and as PC and inclusive as ANet wants to be, yes, it suprises me that we don't have that option.

>

> Actually it *could* hurt. It's work that needs to be done by someone, who wouldn't be able to do something else in that time. In the end, it's just a matter of assessing the expected outcome and allocate your available resources in the best way you can to make a better game.

>

> And before you say "how much work could it be" - the modelling itself would be minor, that much is true. But consider all the equipment pieces you attach on it. Hundreds of weapons and armor pieces. Clipping issues, poor stretching, there could be all sorts of problems.

Pretty much this. A new bodytype would mean having to go through every single piece of armour (headgear probably excluded) and outfit and rework them to fit.

It would be a massive undertaking with many work hours involved.

> @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> > @Haishao.6851 said:

> > >Fantasy is not realistic enough.

> >

>

> Not only that but "Idealized fantasy" to bood.> @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > @"lokh.2695" said:

> > > > @"Feanor.2358" said:

> > > > > @"lokh.2695" said:

> > > > > > @"reaVer.4056" said:

> > > > > > To state the obvious, the way that the human body (or any other animal) protects itself from damage. The skin protects the other organs from the outside elements, it prevents direct attack on the muscles, etc. Then there's a layer of fat to protect against blunt impact and after that there's muscles as a final stop to prevent the organs getting hurt/damaged since those are significantly weaker. Not having fat means that blunt damage can be focused on small areas of the inner body maximizing the attack's effectiveness. Seeing muscle tone indicates a lack of fat and in turn demonstrates that while the person may be able to swing like a bear, he's essentially throwing stones from a glass house. So yes, many GW2 models are too thin to be combat viable as the person would not be able to take a hit.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > However, this body positivity stuff usually implies the other end. Being fatter means more strain on all muscles (including heart and lungs) meaning that stamina is heavily impaired and combat effectiveness is reduced because the fat impedes the body from functioning properly in a combat scenario. The boxers among us can also affirm that standing inside a ring using your entire body takes a great deal of stamina, so to get to these body positivity fat levels would require them to take in a tremendous amount of food.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > In turn the result would be a no to muscle tones for both males and females. But at the same time, if we're going for body positivity, I think we should do it in full. Fatter models should incur swiftness duration, might duration, quickness duration and fury duration penalties. Mounts should also incur a movement speed or lift penalty depending on the weight they are carrying compared to the optimum body composition.

> > > > >

> > > > > Alongside the above, bigger models should have different lines of dialogue, replacing lines like "I can outrun a centaur!" with lines like "Ouch! My knees hurt." or heavy breathing/coughing.

> > > > >

> > > > > To stay more on topic: Our toons live in a world of magic and technology, maybe my max sized, beer bellied norn thief uses some of that to be at the same level of movement speed and endurance than his slender human-female counterparts, who knows. It's just always kinda irks me, when I think of the lenghts ANet goes to when it comes to PC'ness and inclusion, but when it comes to their character models, especially the human ones, you get to chose between 5 variations of stereotypical Barbie and Ken clones.

> > > >

> > > > Does that surprise you? It's the 5 models 99+% of the players would pick anyway for aesthetic and immersion identity reasons. Creating different models for the sake of inclusion is just not worth the development cost.

> > >

> > > When I started playing GW2, I didn't know what kind of studio ANet was, so I wasn't suprsed to find the typical tropes for body types represented in the game. It kinda suprises me when I think about it, only now that I know how PC and inclusive Anet wants to present itself. I'm not saying "WE NEED THESE TYPES NAOWWW OR I RIOT!!!!!" I don't care about it and to not spend resources on including the whole spectrum of the human form was probably a good choice for the devs. It just irks me, that's all. I am well aware that my body positive norn thief is the exception and that 99% of the playerbase will go for a generic, long-legged, hourglass female with huge knockers. Adding more options just wouldn't hurt and as PC and inclusive as ANet wants to be, yes, it suprises me that we don't have that option.

> >

> > Actually it *could* hurt. It's work that needs to be done by someone, who wouldn't be able to do something else in that time. In the end, it's just a matter of assessing the expected outcome and allocate your available resources in the best way you can to make a better game.

> >

> > And before you say "how much work could it be" - the modelling itself would be minor, that much is true. But consider all the equipment pieces you attach on it. Hundreds of weapons and armor pieces. Clipping issues, poor stretching, there could be all sorts of problems.

>

> Pretty much this. A new bodytype would mean having to go through every single piece of armour (headgear probably excluded) and outfit and rework them to fit.

>

> It would be a massive undertaking with many work hours involved.

>

Speaking of a massive undertaking just imagine if we were able to choose which chin our helmets are strapped to.

GW2 is the only game where I have female main characters, and no male ones. Funnily enough it's because the male characters, to me, look obscenely deformed. Specifically, their shoulders are impossibly broad to the point where clearly, these guys skipped leg day every day. I sympathise with you OP, and agree that the Norn characters are a little better. I wonder though if the body shapes might also be a game design thing, perhaps they are easier to build armour for in ways that doesn't make it clip?

It's funny how I can say: "I'm suprised it's not in the game but I don't mind and it's probably easier on the workload" and still the replies to my posts are "It's just too much work for too little effort, why can't you see that?"

Being suprised about more variety not being in the game is something different than requesting it or seing the lack as a flaw of the game. Anyway, I'm out of this. :)

> @"Magnus Godrik.5841" said:

> I would like a slider so i can make my asura as fat as i want it.

Plot-twist: the default model is already morbidly obese by Asura standards. They’ve got an unspoken obesity epidemic going on.

_Cue the X-files theme music_

> @"OrbitalButt.5708" said:

> > @Einlanzer.1627 said:

> > Being slim is realistic, and was the norm until the 20th century.

> >

>

> This is patently false and ahistorical

exactly 'malnourished' would be a better word. Or 'covered in scars'. If they were not malnourished, in some periods they liked to get fat. In others not.

> @"The Revenant.4970" said:

> Good thing it's a fictional video game with fantastical creatures and such. I'd hate to play in a realistic world where over half of the population is obese...

Agree. CDC statistics show that 70% of all adults in the U.S. are overweight and nearly 40% (better than 1 out of every 3) are obese . This has actually been cited as a national security concern ("too fat to fight"). That said, if it makes people feel better to have a character model closer to their own body type, I couldn't care less.

As a female I disagree with this. I do not want my female friends to think that being large/fat/etc is ok. It is not. You should literally be aspiring to look like the women in this game. Anything less and you really have no self respect, nor do you care about your health. This is not a joke post. "real" "curvey" etc is code for fat. Fat is bad and anyone who supports being fat is literally killing people.

Smaller/larger breast sizes would be acceptable however.

> @"VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618" said:

> > @"OrbitalButt.5708" said:

> > > @Einlanzer.1627 said:

> > > Being slim is realistic, and was the norm until the 20th century.

> > >

> >

> > This is patently false and ahistorical

>

> exactly 'malnourished' would be a better word. Or 'covered in scars'. If they were not malnourished, in some periods they liked to get fat. In others not.

Wrong, up until the 20th centuries people had different diets that were better balanced and more nutritious. In the modern day there's a huge overintake of carbs in western societies causing all sorts of balancing issues for most people in the population (they get fat and still look and feel as if they have no energy). Jordan Peterson has gone on the record and stated pretty much this, in addition it causes a lot of psychological issues as well (aside from the standard inferiority complex).

> @"lokh.2695" said:

> I always wondered how one of the most PC developers didn't give us body positive(read: overweight) body types. Not just for human females but for all race/gender combinations. There's one plus sized body model and it's a norn male.

Considering all the dodge rolling and oversized objects being swung around constantly it would require a really awful diet to continue being overweight while doing all that. Although maybe for the people chowing down on 10 sticks of butter per hour ...