[Unpopular opinion] Blish should't exist!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO it is disturbing. But disturbing is good. It means you need to know it, evaluate it, create reasons and values to make it part of your vision of the world. Disturbing is your brain acknowledging there is something you have not thought about, something that can affect you and feed you with more possibilities, good, bad or both.

Personally I've though of it enough to recognize the "cyborgs" are coming soon, and they WILL BE PEOPLE. That is enough to make you dream of immortality, flight and space travel, and have all kinds of machine related nightmares. We don't need to like it, but we need to be aware and prepare. Its going to be normal for our descendants.

> @"Substance E.4852" said:

> What will really activate your almonds is the idea that he's actually a transcribed duplicate of Blish's mind and the real Blish is very much dead.

>

> Taimi and Beetleboy are basically hanging out with a golem LARPing as their dead friend.

Except that the Golem himself is 110% convinced that he is Blish.

It goes well beyond LARPing.

I think I'm in the minority here, but I never even considered that some people _would_ feel weird about it. Bodies suck, and while machines get messed up too, they're usually a lot easier to fix. It's hinted at that he might have been suffering from a physical disability like Taimi does, and let me tell you, my friends with disabilities and/or chronic pain and fatigue are the ones that are _already_ totally into the idea of transferring their consciousness into a machine.

That being said, I can see upon reflection why someone would be squicked by that concept. They said that in early drafts they had Taimi playing a part similar to both Blish and Gorrik. I can't think of how that would have worked out, but I would be interested to see a sketch of that scenario!

> @"foozlesprite.8051" said:

> I think I'm in the minority here, but I never even considered that some people _would_ feel weird about it. Bodies suck, and while machines get messed up too, they're usually a lot easier to fix. It's hinted at that he might have been suffering from a physical disability like Taimi does, and let me tell you, my friends with disabilities and/or chronic pain and fatigue are the ones that are _already_ totally into the idea of transferring their consciousness into a machine.

>

> That being said, I can see upon reflection why someone would be squicked by that concept. They said that in early drafts they had Taimi playing a part similar to both Blish and Gorrik. I can't think of how that would have worked out, but I would be interested to see a sketch of that scenario!

Considering the nature of the trope, they would be doing it wrong if it didn't rub people the wrong way.

It is _meant_ to do that. It is sort of the pont, y'know?

> @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> It makes me feel...strange and it feels disturbing, binding a living being to a machine feels extremely unethical for a "good guy", even in a videogame.

It’s something very similar to Exalted, however much more technical. Replace magical ritual to magical technology.

> @"Tyson.5160" said:

> > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > It makes me feel...strange and it feels disturbing, binding a living being to a machine feels extremely unethical for a "good guy", even in a videogame.

>

> It’s something very similar to Exalted, however much more technical. Replace magical ritual to magical technology.

There is very little difference between Asura technology and "actual" magic when you think about it. Since magic is literally everywhere in the GW universe, an Asura "scientist" applies the "laws of magic" to get the desired effect like an IRL scientist does the "laws of nature/physics".

Basically it is magic disguised as sci-fieqsue technology. "Magipunk" if you will.

> @"Soggy Biscuit.9372" said:

> I have a feeling he will eventually get killed or turn evil or something anyway. At the start of the recent episode where he got caught and saw things felt uncomfortably sentimental with sad piano music and the player character sounding oddly solemn, although I only played it on a female asura.

Oh no, are you thinking like Ultron style plot?

> @"Zedek.8932" said:

> I wish I could join the Inquest!

Careful! That's the common romantisized feeling like "I want to live in a cyberpunk future" or "I want to live in the middle ages with knights and princesses" but in all actuality, you most likely would not :)

• 2 months later...

Blish is a fine character, I just wish they had kinda, talked about him more in previous seasons so we could familiarize ourselves with Taimi's backstory a bit more and perhaps get a feel for Taimi's need to see Blish again.. Blish after all means a lot for Taimi, why didn't we hear about him more often?

> @"hugo.4705" said:

> I think it's because of that thread that blish have been killed..... that's really sad he deserved better.

I don't think a single thread with a handful of posts could kill a character (assuming we don't find and reboot him again) If it was then every character in the story would have been killed a dozen times over.

> @"Robj.6815" said:

> > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > It makes me feel...strange and it feels disturbing, binding a living being to a machine feels extremely unethical for a "good guy", even in a videogame.

>

> So....no medical treatment allowed?

only things like pace makers and mechanical prostetics aren't allowed

> @"Robj.6815" said:

> > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

>

> So....no medical treatment allowed?

To conserve your body? Sure.

To conserve your, "Soul" in another vessel? No!

> @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > @"Robj.6815" said:

> > > @"Zaraki.5784" said:

> > > It makes me feel...strange and it feels disturbing, binding a living being to a machine feels extremely unethical for a "good guy", even in a videogame.

> >

> > So....no medical treatment allowed?

>

> To conserve your body? Sure.

> To conserve your, "Soul" in another vessel? No!

Too bad souls do not exist, living beings are just organic machines. Thus turning an organic machine into an anorganic machine is entirely ethical.