A Martial arts(Monk) Elite Spec, and what Profession should get it?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Sazukikrah.5036" said:

> well they sorta already have a monk class, it's on Thief with staff called Daredevil. In Gw1 Monk was basically a guardian.

Monk was kinda weird in GW1. Beside dance animation, no martial arts at all, purely "spellcaster".

> @"Mea.5491" said:

> Guardian but it won't happen because there's no such thing as "bare fists" in GW2 (unless they introduce new "weapons" in the future) but I really wouldn't mind dual wielding Touch of Madness... ;P

>

I think the easiest thing for them them to do as to not waste too much resources is to just make focus into a melee weapon

> @"supa suop.8026" said:

> > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > Guardian but it won't happen because there's no such thing as "bare fists" in GW2 (unless they introduce new "weapons" in the future) but I really wouldn't mind dual wielding Touch of Madness... ;P

> >

>

>

> I think the easiest thing for them them to do as to not waste too much resources is to just make focus into a melee weapon

And Torch!

> @"Mea.5491" said:

> > @"supa suop.8026" said:

> > > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > > Guardian but it won't happen because there's no such thing as "bare fists" in GW2 (unless they introduce new "weapons" in the future) but I really wouldn't mind dual wielding Touch of Madness... ;P

> > >

> >

> >

> > I think the easiest thing for them them to do as to not waste too much resources is to just make focus into a melee weapon

>

> And Torch!

Burn! (I really do hope that they add new weapons... It is sad that they didn't with this expansion. It is equally disappointing each time they release something without a scythe and a javelin xD)

> > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > Guardian but it won't happen because there's no such thing as "bare fists" in GW2 (unless they introduce new "weapons" in the future) but I really wouldn't mind dual wielding Touch of Madness... ;P

> >

>

>

> I think the easiest thing for them them to do as to not waste too much resources is to just make focus into a melee weapon

Any class dual wielding focus items sounds pretty cool...

>

>

That's not as easy as you think.

If you look at all of the weapons that can be used in either hand, they work in both hands without being flipped around. Some focus models, however, fit on the back of the hand and would need to be flipped around for the main hand. At the minimum, they'd need to make a separate "main hand" skin for all of those. And given that the game doesn't do things like that yet, it's quite likely that it's not set up to do it. That would make main hand focus a programming nightmare.

As for what class should get martial arts? I think three classes should get it, one from each armor class. Elementalist should get the mystic/element bending styles. Ranger should get an animal style. Either Warrior or Rev should get a power brawler style.

The key to this is to understand that it will have all the weapons associated with its base class. So it will hardly be unarmed. If you're looking for a sort of shaolin, then that already exists in the Daredevil. That was the point of melee staff and physical utility skills. So, what would the new weapon be. It's unreasonable to expect a rebuild of an already existing weapon, though that would actually be amazing. The new weapon would be contingent on the class. Guardian isn't getting staff or focus, which might make sense, because they already have those. What are the utilities, can't be physical if it's Warrior, because that's already a set for Warrior. Also, possibly most important, what is the class ability change? What is it that is expected out of this spec?

I voted for Guardian because it was the obvious choice snap decision. But I think I'd like to see Warrior, Melee Scepter/scepter, Meditations, and their burst power becomes some kind of buff/heal mechanic. Heal spec Warrior that fights with batons.

is monk/guardian relation something from GW1? because without playing the game, as far as class archetypes go, I don't see what a guardian (heavy armor, heavy weapons, tank, slow movements) has to do with a monk ( medium/light armor, no weapons, usually DPS, very fast and agile class.)

> @"Sazukikrah.5036" said:

> well they sorta already have a monk class, it's on Thief with staff called Daredevil. In Gw1 Monk was basically a guardian.

Guardian is a mix of gw1 Monk and Paragon. As far as implementation of unarmed fighting monk, the easiest would be some kind of kit, with “combo” skills like gw1 Assassin.

Give the warrior engie kits as the new skill type, call them "ways:" Way of the Owl (healing kit), Way of the Dolyak (tanking kit), Way of the Eagle (condi kit), Way of the Wolverine (dps kit) and Way of the Dragon (Elite). Give the 1-5 of each way unarmed martial arts mechanics which combine into unique combos like in a fighting game. New weapon: the focus.

> @"coso.9173" said:

> is monk/guardian relation something from GW1? because without playing the game, as far as class archetypes go, I don't see what a guardian (heavy armor, heavy weapons, tank, slow movements) has to do with a monk ( medium/light armor, no weapons, usually DPS, very fast and agile class.)

>

Yes, monk was a GW1 class. It was martial artist but very much based on defense and healing.

Guardian is the evolution of the GW1 monk. I'm sure there is a quote from one of the books where the character sees a guardian for the first time and its defined as a heavy armor defender with a lot of monk magic. Or something like that.

I've been wanting the Thief to have unarmed/empty hand skills for a long time. However, I'm fine with giving up the Monk spec as long as the Thief gets the Ninja Assassin spec. Unfortunately, the Thief is no Ninja Assassin, and the closest it gets is Deadeye which revolves around the Rifle. And anyone who has seen the movie 3 Ninjas knows that if they have guns, they're no ninjas ;-)

> @"coso.9173" said:

> is monk/guardian relation something from GW1? because without playing the game, as far as class archetypes go, I don't see what a guardian (heavy armor, heavy weapons, tank, slow movements) has to do with a monk ( medium/light armor, no weapons, usually DPS, very fast and agile class.)

>

yeap, it's stated in lore

> It's a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training, wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha. A real grab bag of "you can't hurt me". They're called guardians, and simply put, they mean trouble.

>

> — Macha

> > @"Mea.5491" said:

> >

>

>

I agree, though I'm pretty sure dual wielding The Binding of Ipos would cause some clipping.

> @"coso.9173" said:

>

GW1 monk was not a DPS, it was Healing magic, Protection Magic (think prevent damage instead of healing it) and Smiting (heal/cleanse to do damage). It was a spell-caster, and some of Guardian's skills steal their skill names directly from Monk skills from GW1.