High profile baddies' bars [suggestion]

For high profile baddies like bosses, have multiple condi\cc bars that need to be filled up to activate specified condi\cc. E.g. burning bar would not burn the boss until the bar is filled up. Having multiples of these at certain times can mix up game-play for bosses a little bit more.

So you would have to bring specific builds to boss fights, not to mention you had to coordinate with random players what builds to bring? Are you also for adding a kind of ablative armor against power damage from different weapon types, so you need x sword attacks before you can lower hp finally? Cause that would be a rough equivalent. This does not sound very intrigueing.

I can see some interesting variants to this, largely by making many smaller "break-bars" for specific things. With some slight tweaks it could allow us to actually use some CC on bosses etc.

Example:

A boss that have a normal Break-Bar, but have a specific one against cripple. This only drains when hit with cripple effects, and once it's broken, he can be crippled as normal, or becomes crippled until the break-bar resets. This bar would obviously be much smaller than the normal break-bar, basically showing weaknesses in the boss. This would reward some build fiddling, cooperation/teamwork/organization, and be a fairly simplistic way of teaching players some basic pay attention/strategy/tactics.

On the other hand, I can't see it used the same for Condi (damage), but it could be used/replaced as a "Resistance Bar" sort of. Example an enemy that is immune to burning, could instead get a "Resistance bar" against burning, once depleted it would burn like normal until it reset again. The main advantage to this, would be to avoid situations like a Burn Guardian tries to fight against Destroyers.

Essentially a system like this could be made to create small strengths and weaknesses in specific mobs. Which would add some slight complexity to encounters/fights, depending on how ANet actually implemented this, it might add some more depth to the combat system, but it could very easily add complexity without depth (in which case it is useless).

> @"Zahld.4956" said:

> Yes, players would actually have to use skills with purpose other than; dps, some kind of condi, dps, heal, dps- against bosses.

what bosses are you talking about? open world? where random strangers meet at an event? How do they coordinate what to bring? Did you consider that classes offer different kinds of conditions? So don´t bring your x to encounter y?

Have you noticed when running into an event with only a few players instead of a huge mob how you are the only person even using CC against the break bar? I sure experience that all the time. Can you imagine how that would work out in a more complex scenario when 90 % of the players do not even understand the blue bar?

Sorry, that is a pipe dream - and that is being told to you by someone who was used to games where eg. fire elementals where immune to burn and where you can exploit damage type weaknesses to succeed. In open world focus GW2, there is no chance in hell this would lead to anything but complete frustration, both for better players and more casual ones who don´t bother much with game mechanics. Next time Silver Wastes ("wich of my spels reflec??!") or Dragon Stand is on daily rotation, go there and witness badly informed people getting into content that requires doing more than autoattacking to succeed. No, thanks, not in this game. You basically ask for the Serpent´s Ire experience as a blueprint for the game.

> @"Zahld.4956" said:

> And forever they will never beat that boss.

> Haha

yeah, that seems like tremendous game design. Not "they" - "we", because who do you think you will play with against these "baddies"? Not to mention you kept ignoring half the concerns I brought up. What is this all about, badassery?

> @"Algreg.3629" said:

> > @"Zahld.4956" said:

> > Yes, players would actually have to use skills with purpose other than; dps, some kind of condi, dps, heal, dps- against bosses.

>

> what bosses are you talking about? open world? where random strangers meet at an event? How do they coordinate what to bring? Did you consider that classes offer different kinds of conditions? So don´t bring your x to encounter y?

>

> Have you noticed when running into an event with only a few players instead of a huge mob how you are the only person even using CC against the break bar? I sure experience that all the time. Can you imagine how that would work out in a more complex scenario when 90 % of the players do not even understand the blue bar?

>

> Sorry, that is a pipe dream - and that is being told to you by someone who was used to games where eg. fire elementals where immune to burn and where you can exploit damage type weaknesses to succeed. In open world focus GW2, there is no chance in hell this would lead to anything but complete frustration, both for better players and more casual ones who don´t bother much with game mechanics. Next time Silver Wastes ("wich of my spels reflec??!") or Dragon Stand is on daily rotation, go there and witness badly informed people getting into content that requires doing more than autoattacking to succeed. No, thanks, not in this game. You basically ask for the Serpent´s Ire experience as a blueprint for the game.

All perfectly valid reasons.

> @"Zahld.4956" said:

> Okay closed world then.

> Maybe in open world they can have text to show what to do and when to do it. Let's see how many players will ignore that and hammer that 1 key.

> @"Zahld.4956" said:

> Maybe in open world they can have text to show what to do and when to do it. Let's see how many players will ignore that and hammer that 1 key.

I can give you an estimation there: From my experience, everyone but yourself usually.

:)

And I find that extremely frustrating :/

> @"Zahld.4956" said:

> More excuse to tell them to read the text...just making more attempts to newb proof the baddies of the world, here.

> Even with more bars.

mhhhm, yes, studies show, it is the best approach to try change your customers as to fit your product... You should totally go into product design :)

Don´t get me wrong, I enjoy more complex games, but as for GW2 and its audience, it is what it is.