gryffon races.. please stop this

I am in the same boat. I am just not a good griffon pilot and have been trying to find a good tutorial that shows me what to do. But for me, while watching videos is helpful, I actually need a good training course that has players mastering the basics and working up to the advanced skills. Similar to the race they added for the Beetle in Kouna

I didn't have my headphone when I played it so I didn't know about it until I watched the video I recorded. It must be very annoying when it's the 20th time you try it. I have the voice in French so she said: _"Si vous vous penchez vers l'avant, vous ordonez au griffon de plonger"_

> @"notebene.3190" said:

> In all seriousness, I'm also having a really hard time with this. I can't reach the speeds that are in that Dulfy video. I certainly can't get even 'close' to going up that high when I pull up when I'm supposed to. That's as far as I get. What am I doing wrong? :(

Hold space when diving the first time to reach the second ring. Make sure you don't hold it more than the initial boost though.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > Uhm, I am not getting this notification when participating in a griffon race. When/Where does it appear?

> it's set for a few gryffon races around the world.

> There only a few that have it, but the ones that do play this track constantly.

Ah, I see. Must be PoF races then, because those are the only ones I barely touched. ;) Thanks for clearing this up. :)

> @"notebene.3190" said:

> In all seriousness, I'm also having a really hard time with this. I can't reach the speeds that are in that Dulfy video. I certainly can't get even 'close' to going up that high when I pull up when I'm supposed to. That's as far as I get. What am I doing wrong? :(

During the dive, you can press jump to double-dive, for the lack of a better word.

This doubles your speed, ultimately

> @"notebene.3190" said:

> @"Zushada.6108" said:

> I am in the same boat. I am just not a good griffon pilot and have been trying to find a good tutorial that shows me what to do. But for me, while watching videos is helpful, I actually need a good training course that has players mastering the basics and working up to the advanced skills. Similar to the race they added for the Beetle in Kouna

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Griffon_(mount)#Movement.2FControls

Try reading this.

In essence, use skill 1 to dive.

While diving, after a few meters, press the jump key. There is a minimum distance for mach diving so make sure you have the distance down.

Then let go and you will shoot forward.

Then, press 2 for the hidden skill that lets you climb back up (pressing backward also works)

Once at the peak of your climb flap your wings to recover the maximum height. You can climb in steps, like two or three climbs, but you will lose speed and ultimately height.

So:

1 》 dive 》 forward 》 2 》 climb

``````\_________________/``````````````

1+space 》 mach dive 》faster forward 》 2 》 climb

`````````\ /

\_》》》》》》》》》》》/`````

I hope anet doesn't ruin that image xD

Yep.. anet does.... rip forum function

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > @"notebene.3190" said:

> > In all seriousness, I'm also having a really hard time with this. I can't reach the speeds that are in that Dulfy video. I certainly can't get even 'close' to going up that high when I pull up when I'm supposed to. That's as far as I get. What am I doing wrong? :(

>

> > @"Zushada.6108" said:

> > I am in the same boat. I am just not a good griffon pilot and have been trying to find a good tutorial that shows me what to do. But for me, while watching videos is helpful, I actually need a good training course that has players mastering the basics and working up to the advanced skills. Similar to the race they added for the Beetle in Kouna

>

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Griffon_(mount)#Movement.2FControls

> Try reading this.

>

> In essence, use skill 1 to dive.

> While diving, after a few meters, press the jump key. There is a minimum distance for mach diving so make sure you have the distance down.

> Then let go and you will shoot forward.

> Then, press 2 for the hidden skill that lets you climb back up (pressing backward also works)

> Once at the peak of your climb flap your wings to recover the maximum height. You can climb in steps, like two or three climbs, but you will lose speed and ultimately height.

>

> So:

>

> 1 》 dive 》 forward 》 2 》 climb

> ``````\_________________/``````````````

>

> 1+space 》 mach dive 》faster forward 》 2 》 climb

> `````````\ /

> \_》》》》》》》》》》》/`````

>

> I hope anet doesn't ruin that image xD

> Yep.. anet does.... rip forum function

So what you are saying is, by leaning forward, you can urge your griffon to dive?

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > Instructions are unclear. Do you have to be on the Griffin when leaning forward? What if you’re on your raptor?

> >

> > By leaning forward, you can urge your raptor to levitate into the sky.

> > By leaning backward, you can urge your Beetle to roll up **the other way**

>

> Well it’s shockingly bad instructions. What they should be saying is “While flying through the air on your Griffin you can urge your Griffin to dive while leaning forward. Be sure to first acquire sufficient height for this maneuver and be wearing your safety belt. Put away any loose items into a closed container and put out any cigarettes. Also, remember the white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.”

The red zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the white zone.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > Instructions are unclear. Do you have to be on the Griffin when leaning forward? What if you’re on your raptor?

> >

> > By leaning forward, you can urge your raptor to levitate into the sky.

> > By leaning backward, you can urge your Beetle to roll up **the other way**

>

> Well it’s shockingly bad instructions. What they should be saying is “While flying through the air on your Griffin you can urge your Griffin to dive while leaning forward. Be sure to first acquire sufficient height for this maneuver and be wearing your safety belt. Put away any loose items into a closed container and put out any cigarettes. Also, remember the white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.”

But what about my tray table? Shouldn't I put it in a closed position? ;)

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > @"notebene.3190" said:

> > In all seriousness, I'm also having a really hard time with this. I can't reach the speeds that are in that Dulfy video. I certainly can't get even 'close' to going up that high when I pull up when I'm supposed to. That's as far as I get. What am I doing wrong? :(

>

> During the dive, you can press jump to double-dive, for the lack of a better word.

> This doubles your speed, ultimately

I didn't know about this either, until someone in the map explained it to me yesterday. I'd watched videos of people doing the course but I couldn't tell what they were doing to go so much faster than me. I'd read the instructions on the Wiki for how to use the griffon but it didn't make much sense (maybe not helped by me being very tired and too hot to think).

Then someone just said "push jump while you're diving and you go faster and can climb higher" and suddenly it all made sense. It took some practice to get it right, I kept pushing or releasing keys in the wrong order (like I said, I was tired) but I got there eventually and was able to get gold award on both griffon adventures.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > Instructions are unclear. Do you have to be on the Griffin when leaning forward? What if you’re on your raptor?

> > >

> > > By leaning forward, you can urge your raptor to levitate into the sky.

> > > By leaning backward, you can urge your Beetle to roll up **the other way**

> >

> > Well it’s shockingly bad instructions. What they should be saying is “While flying through the air on your Griffin you can urge your Griffin to dive while leaning forward. Be sure to first acquire sufficient height for this maneuver and be wearing your safety belt. Put away any loose items into a closed container and put out any cigarettes. Also, remember the white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.”

>

> But what about my tray table? Shouldn't I put it in a closed position? ;)

Your griffon has a tray table? This must be some super-secret Anet only feature us mere mortals are not worthy of!

Ok, but seriously, mine doesn't even have cup holders. I mean I tried balancing it between her ears and she nearly threw me off!

> > > > Instructions are unclear. Do you have to be on the Griffin when leaning forward? What if you’re on your raptor?

> > >

> > > By leaning backward, you can urge your Beetle to roll up **the other way**

> >

> > Well it’s shockingly bad instructions. What they should be saying is “While flying through the air on your Griffin you can urge your Griffin to dive while leaning forward. Be sure to first acquire sufficient height for this maneuver and be wearing your safety belt. Put away any loose items into a closed container and put out any cigarettes. Also, remember the white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only. There is no stopping in the red zone.”

>

Only for the sake of preserving your dental record when the inevitable happens.

> > >

> >

>

**your gryffon has a tray table!?!?**

mine only has a horn-holder :(

I need to upgrade to a newer model, I guess, when's the new gryffon skins coming in?

> > >

> >

>

Not till you've eaten all your vegetables.

> > >

> >

>

You must be riding Business class. I have Economy Griffin flight and I don’t even get peanuts served during flight. All I have is to munch on is stale [Tin of Fruitcake] that’s been sitting around since Wintersday and I have to supply that myself.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> Your griffon has a tray table? This must be some super-secret Anet only feature us mere mortals are not worthy of!

>

> Ok, but seriously, mine doesn't even have cup holders. I mean I tried balancing it between her ears and she nearly threw me off!

May I suggest putting your hot coffee into an insulated cup before you try that again? The non-insulated ones tend to annoy them.

> @"Lord of the Fire.6870" said:

> Strangely it doesn't work this way for me diving and speed is okay but I can't get anymore the full way only around half of it , so basically the thing stops for me there when I must go full upwards again.

This is exactly what I am struggling with, too. I just can NOT gain enough height after the fourth ring. >.<

> @"Patchwreck.2357" said:

> Lets say I'm flying and i want to get to a lower elevation quickly.

> How is that accomplished?

If you're not speeding, press reverse (backwards)

And you will stop flying forward and the griffin will start descending until you press forward again