Story idea for a new expansion in Cantha

This is a story for a future expansion that i thought about.

One day, when the main character is doing whatever it needs to do to clean up the remains of Joko's army, an emissary from Cantha comes in.

-"we heard you slew a dragon. We need someone like that in Cantha urgently!"

-"Not just one dragon!"

-"Then it is really you that we need. Cantha is under threat of being destroyed by the Jade Dragon. We will give you riches if you help us"

-"I will help but not for the riches. I will do it for the people"

And so you sail to Cantha and the Jade Sea while wondering about this jade dragon since there shouldn't be one. Taimi is rightfully intrigued.

You set foot on the Jade Sea and start walking to the main land. You fight off a few creatures and some jade minions. If you look down, you see a massive shadow deep under your feet. As you are getting closer to the main land, the shadow grows bigger and the Jade Dragon comes up from under your feet and attacks your group! It literally swims in jade and it's skin seems invincible to attacks. It eventually gobbles you up and you need to find your way back out in a story instance inside it's guts.

The story goes further while you defend the old factions against jade minions and meet descendants of the old heroes.

Eventually, you discover hints about a temple dedicated to the land's elemental dragon. It's under the capital where after centuries of the city building atop itself, it finally got lost. So you go deep under the capital's crime ridden slums and sewers to find this old forgotten temple. A big revelation occurs to your group as you inspect the murals; It's not a jade dragon at all that you have been fighting! It's the water dragon! Shiro's curse changed the dragon from water to jade while it was sleeping under the sea. It all makes sense to Taimi! An island nation is the perfect place for a water dragon to live and it was sleeping when GW1 Faction's event took place so it was in a weakened state, enabling Shiro's curse to affect it. And it can swim through the jade sea like it used to swim through water before, making it unreachable unless you bait it out, but it will still be invincible then.

Braham jokingly says it would be way easier to reach and kill this dragon if the jade was back to water, which the group sees as a great idea; let's break Shiro's curse!

We need Rytlock's link to the underworld to either summon Shiro and get his help undoing his deeds, or go there directly. The summoning of Shiro only end up giving you 1 piece of information; he doesn't care about helping you. So now you need to go to the part of the underworld where he reigns to force him to help you break his curse.

It works and you get to finally start an offensive against the now softer skinned water dragon.

From here, i will let your imagination work as to how it all takes place. a boss to be fought underwater? or on boats? Inside the palace as the dragon takes it's revenge for you damaging it?

And the jade sea could have a slim splashing effect as you walk on it in post story maps since it finally starts to melt. Since it will take a very long time for the curse to wear off on the land, it enables the first few maps on the jade sea to be kept in the game ;)

also; new class for toons will be the ninja ;)

> @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> Sorry but no thanks. Too much human stuff already with Elonia and recent LW episodes...

Cantha will be chickens(Avicara and Tengu clans) fight for their place back in cantha, while player needs to do some missionary work with the emperor forces, while some evil guy take control of emperor itself and corrupts the army.

Meanwhile.... Togo was also sucessor familly to the throne, some familiar (grandson) will be the new emperor player will allow the npc to leech player work all the way to the throne :D

Meanwhile, ship's carriers with flying pet's :} wich guilds have access to use them for 40sec-60sec in pve.

> @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> > @"Felipe.1807" said:

> > No, no Cantha or any other Human related stuff, its time for the Norns or the Charr get some attention.

>

> ^That actually makes more sense.

Yes, yes it does. Norns in particular crying out for more attention and exploration. The general opinion of the is that they’re “just big humans” among the playerbase (which is really, really sad) when the reality is that they go much deeper than that. They’re more akin to the Jotun than humans, for one. Stuff like that which most players don’t even know about.

> @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> > @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> > > @"Felipe.1807" said:

> > > No, no Cantha or any other Human related stuff, its time for the Norns or the Charr get some attention.

> >

> > ^That actually makes more sense.

>

> Yes, yes it does. Norns in particular crying out for more attention and exploration. The general opinion of the is that they’re “just big humans” among the playerbase (which is really, really sad) when the reality is that they go much deeper than that. They’re more akin to the Jotun than humans, for one. Stuff like that which most players don’t even know about.

>

>

>

...sometimes even make me wonder if that would be a good thing lol...they killed Eir and turned the whole profecy about the chosen one that would break the tooth into a fairy tale that the elders tell to the young...come on, if you aint gonna explore the lore its "okay" but dont fuck it like that lol...the way I see they turned Norns from Legendary warriors to just a bunch of drunken dudes who tell a lot of shit on a bar...not even the Spirits of Wild showed up on the LW so far...though we would had something when we went to bitterfrost, but we had more quaggan nonsense then Norn and Kodan lol

> @"Felipe.1807" said:

> > @"Oglaf.1074" said:

> > > @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> > > > @"Felipe.1807" said:

> > > > No, no Cantha or any other Human related stuff, its time for the Norns or the Charr get some attention.

> > >

> > > ^That actually makes more sense.

> >

> > Yes, yes it does. Norns in particular crying out for more attention and exploration. The general opinion of the is that they’re “just big humans” among the playerbase (which is really, really sad) when the reality is that they go much deeper than that. They’re more akin to the Jotun than humans, for one. Stuff like that which most players don’t even know about.

> >

> >

> >

>

> ...sometimes even make me wonder if that would be a good thing lol...they killed Eir and turned the whole profecy about the chosen one that would break the tooth into a fairy tale that the elders tell to the young...come on, if you aint gonna explore the lore its "okay" but dont kitten it like that lol...the way I see they turned Norns from Legendary warriors to just a bunch of drunken dudes who tell a lot of kitten on a bar...not even the Spirits of Wild showed up on the LW so far...though we would had something when we went to bitterfrost, but we had more quaggan nonsense then Norn and Kodan lol

That's like star wars prophecy of the galaxy savior.. people tough it was Anakin... but was the son.

Cantha-thread again, nice....

Assuming that parts of ANet are already working on the next XPac and that the story to that point has been mostly fixed by now(not that we know of it, but internally these things are probably layed out years in advance), I don't think that we can give them ideas as to how we should get to the next xpansion.

Can't we go somewhere new? Does everything need to be a callback to something? Do we need to revisit every inch of gw1?

> @"lokh.2695" said:

> Cantha-thread again, nice....

>

> Assuming that parts of ANet are already working on the next XPac and that the story to that point has been mostly fixed by now(not that we know of it, but internally these things are probably layed out years in advance), I don't think that we can give them ideas as to how we should get to the next xpansion.

>

> Can't we go somewhere new? Does everything need to be a callback to something? Do we need to revisit every inch of gw1?

I so agree. I am pretty done with the gw1 nostalgia. I am hoping for new frontiers. If the next xpac is Cantha I'll likely skip it. POF was a snorefest.

I would love to go to Cantha anyday, anytime over any boring Charr lands. If we're not getting Cantha on our 3rd expansion then I hope Norns will get some time to shine in our upcoming this expansion. I'd love to visit Far Shiverpeaks and see how Norns glorious homeland looks like today, aswell Ebon Vanguard were also up there! Remember? Which is even better since they're Ascalonians! :heart:

We had horror/undead theme in Vanilla GW2, jungle theme in HoT, desert theme in PoF, so our 3rd expansion has to be ice (_Far Shiverpeaks_) or water (_UW expansion, Unending Ocean_).

Cantha, not only human-related! Remember Tengu? I am sure ANet can make a great story of their flashback of what they have been doing and why they've shut out the world and barried themselves in Dominion of Winds and why Cantha banish all non-humans along with the Great Tsunami. What's happening to the Jade sea? What's happening in the Echovald forest? Are Kaineng City still strong and glorious and of course Shing Jea.

My "Commander" isn't human. With the xenophobia that Cantha is famous for, why would she be approached by an emissary of Cantha at all? This is reaching "We'd like you, an asura, to join the Shining Blade." weird.

And frankly, I agree with the above posters. I'd like to see someplace new, and less human centric.

> @"Alga.6498" said:

> I would love to go to Cantha anyday, anytime over any boring Charr lands. If we're not getting Cantha on our 3rd expansion then I hope Norns will get some time to shine in our upcoming this expansion. I'd love to visit Far Shiverpeaks and see how Norns glorious homeland looks like today, aswell Ebon Vanguard were also up there! Remember? Which is even better since they're Ascalonians! :heart:

>

> We had horror/undead theme in Vanilla GW2, jungle theme in HoT, desert theme in PoF, so our 3rd expansion has to be ice (_Far Shiverpeaks_) or water (_UW expansion, Unending Ocean_).

>

> Cantha, not only human-related! Remember Tengu? I am sure ANet can make a great story of their flashback of what they have been doing and why they've shut out the world and barried themselves in Dominion of Winds and why Cantha banish all non-humans along with the Great Tsunami. What's happening to the Jade sea? What's happening in the Echovald forest? Are Kaineng City still strong and glorious and of course Shing Jea.

I’m so ready for either ice or water! Woodland would be nice too

> @"Fenom.9457" said:

> I’m so ready for either ice or water! Woodland would be nice too

As long as it's an arctic/temperate woodland. Not a tropical woodland. You know... a jungle.

But to be honest, I'd like to see some more magic/alien/mists influenced environments. That is not related to any undead dude. I'm getting really bored of fighting zombies. Even HoT had plant-zombies. Atleast POF had Forged. Which were kinda metal-zombies but they were better than others preceding them.

What I would like the most though is a compelling villain that actually has some rational thought behind their actions, even if the actions themselves are clearly wrong. Joko was great as a character but as mentioned, I'm tired of undead opponents. And have their minions be there because they want to, not because they are mindless minions tied to their masters will.

Now that we've established that our commander isn't beyond reproach, some kind of anti-commander would be great as a character, always challenging your decisions, tailing you everywhere to do things "the right way".

"at the docks, you are met by a well dressed man. His robes carry the elaborately crafted runes N and C. He tells you to scramble, "no in-house competition for our asian themed products", you hear him shouting while the harbor is slowly fading in the distance."

Sylvari got their expansion/spotlight in Heart of Thorns

Humans got their expansion/spotlight in Path of Fire

I think Sylvari are mostly done with the story, they were also the focus of the personal story too, with Trahearne and the Pale Tree, I don't think there is much to be said about them (unless we find another tree).

Humans dominate the story lately, we need some change and then after we deal with the other races we can go back to human stories in Cantha.

Charr:

Rytlock is back, he has his sword, why not try to repeat the ritual and cleanse Ascalon of the ghosts? This time without failing.

Visiting the Blood Legion homelands again, maybe see a plot against Rytlock Brimstone unfold, some intrigue and inter-legion politics.

The Olmakhan interacting with the Charr legions would be very interesting. Will they integrate them back to Charr society?

Rytlock is the main male Charr, and he is a member of the Legion. Rox is the main female Charr and she is part of the Olmakhan now.

Norn:

First of all, a female Norn main character is needed. Eir is dead and she hasn't been very active in past seasons anyway.

Apparently Braham is our friend again, but he has a new guild, maybe they'll do something stupid?

The Sons of Svanir are still active, how do they deal with Jormag going back to sleep? Let's see the aftermath!

Asura:

Primordus went to sleep. Time for the Asura to react and reclaim their underground homes. Perhaps join forces with the Dwarves?

What happened to Zojja? Are we gonna see her again?

Joko was beaten, Caudecus was beaten, isn't it time to finally "beat" the Inquest for good? Or did Joko beat them? I doubt it!

Overseer Kuda appears to be Kudu's daughter, maybe she could be fleshed out as the next Inquest boss?

> @"ErgoProxy.5790" said:

> This is a story for a future expansion that i thought about.

>

> One day, when the main character is doing whatever it needs to do to clean up the remains of Joko's army, an emissary from Cantha comes in.

> -"we heard you slew a dragon. We need someone like that in Cantha urgently!"

> -"Not just one dragon!"

> -"Then it is really you that we need. Cantha is under threat of being destroyed by the Jade Dragon. We will give you riches if you help us"

> -"I will help but not for the riches. I will do it for the people"

>

> And so you sail to Cantha and the Jade Sea while wondering about this jade dragon since there shouldn't be one. Taimi is rightfully intrigued.

>

> You set foot on the Jade Sea and start walking to the main land. You fight off a few creatures and some jade minions. If you look down, you see a massive shadow deep under your feet. As you are getting closer to the main land, the shadow grows bigger and the Jade Dragon comes up from under your feet and attacks your group! It literally swims in jade and it's skin seems invincible to attacks. It eventually gobbles you up and you need to find your way back out in a story instance inside it's guts.

>

> The story goes further while you defend the old factions against jade minions and meet descendants of the old heroes.

>

> Eventually, you discover hints about a temple dedicated to the land's elemental dragon. It's under the capital where after centuries of the city building atop itself, it finally got lost. So you go deep under the capital's crime ridden slums and sewers to find this old forgotten temple. A big revelation occurs to your group as you inspect the murals; It's not a jade dragon at all that you have been fighting! It's the water dragon! Shiro's curse changed the dragon from water to jade while it was sleeping under the sea. It all makes sense to Taimi! An island nation is the perfect place for a water dragon to live and it was sleeping when GW1 Faction's event took place so it was in a weakened state, enabling Shiro's curse to affect it. And it can swim through the jade sea like it used to swim through water before, making it unreachable unless you bait it out, but it will still be invincible then.

>

> Braham jokingly says it would be way easier to reach and kill this dragon if the jade was back to water, which the group sees as a great idea; let's break Shiro's curse!

>

> We need Rytlock's link to the underworld to either summon Shiro and get his help undoing his deeds, or go there directly. The summoning of Shiro only end up giving you 1 piece of information; he doesn't care about helping you. So now you need to go to the part of the underworld where he reigns to force him to help you break his curse.

>

> It works and you get to finally start an offensive against the now softer skinned water dragon.

>

>

> From here, i will let your imagination work as to how it all takes place. a boss to be fought underwater? or on boats? Inside the palace as the dragon takes it's revenge for you damaging it?

> And the jade sea could have a slim splashing effect as you walk on it in post story maps since it finally starts to melt. Since it will take a very long time for the curse to wear off on the land, it enables the first few maps on the jade sea to be kept in the game ;)

>

> also; new class for toons will be the ninja ;)

I didn't read all the comments so I may repeat things that have already been said. Sorry about that.

Thing is...This story does not make sense at all, beginning with the lore. Here's why:

1) Cantha has been isolated for centuries. How would they hear about what happen in Tyria? Let alone, of a commander probably of a specy they don't know and their location in Elona?

2) Why would we help them? Cantha is SSSOOOOO far away and we already have a ton of dearing problems to deal with in Elona and Tyria. Why would we go to war in foreign land we know nothing about just to fight a dragon when we found out they should not be killed? No more right of interference. We need a VERY serious reason to do so. Riches and helping-people-selflssly-stuff is not.

3) An ocean dragon chosing to take rest in a sea with no connectin to his domains? I don't buy it for a second. Especially considering that the deep sea dragon is probably half the size of the jade sea anyway...

4) Also, though the jade wind origns remains mostly a mystery, it doesn't have to do with shiro himself, so he doesn't have the power to dispel it. Furthermore, I don't imagine for one second that a creature as powerful as an elder dragon is corrupted so easily. Or that it take him 460 years to wake up after such a disturbance

5) Why would turning the jade back into water make the dragon any easier to deal with. He just go back to its original state...which means gigantic and invincible. No airships or mind tricks this time...

6) The jade sea has ALREADY beginning to turn bac to water at the end of GW1. It should be pretty advanced by now.

7) Where is the place of the dragon empire in this story? Khuunvang? Luxons? Kurzicks? Tamnakhai? It would be a shame if they don't have a place.

Personnal opinion: I don't want to make ANY Pact with Shiro f...... Tagachi. May he rot in the realm of torment for all eternity!

Personnal rant: Ninja? I see you coming... NO. Hell no. No more stupid archetypal false cliche of stupid acrobatic killer. I'm sick and tired of it. Unless it's done accordingly to what shinobis axtually were. And we have to give a different name. Cause ninja is a chinese term and chinese doesn't exists in the universe of Tyria.

Positive comment? The idea of a dragon swimming through jade is REALLY cool. I love it. Looks like a beautiful challenge.

But no. Rework needed.

I sincerely apologize if I sound harsh. No offense meant, i just want the lore to be respected.

Thanks for the idea anyway. Have a good day.

Something else I noticed: people want different expansions focusing on the playable races (and rightly so), but why do people only ask for those? A race doesn’t necessarily need to be playable to get the spotlight. Blazeridge mountains expansion focusing on ogres? Deldrimor front focusing on dwarves? Stuff like that

> @"Lametoile.7394" said:

> > @"ErgoProxy.5790" said:

> > This is a story for a future expansion that i thought about.

> >

> > One day, when the main character is doing whatever it needs to do to clean up the remains of Joko's army, an emissary from Cantha comes in.

> > -"we heard you slew a dragon. We need someone like that in Cantha urgently!"

> > -"Not just one dragon!"

> > -"Then it is really you that we need. Cantha is under threat of being destroyed by the Jade Dragon. We will give you riches if you help us"

> > -"I will help but not for the riches. I will do it for the people"

> >

> > And so you sail to Cantha and the Jade Sea while wondering about this jade dragon since there shouldn't be one. Taimi is rightfully intrigued.

> >

> > You set foot on the Jade Sea and start walking to the main land. You fight off a few creatures and some jade minions. If you look down, you see a massive shadow deep under your feet. As you are getting closer to the main land, the shadow grows bigger and the Jade Dragon comes up from under your feet and attacks your group! It literally swims in jade and it's skin seems invincible to attacks. It eventually gobbles you up and you need to find your way back out in a story instance inside it's guts.

> >

> > The story goes further while you defend the old factions against jade minions and meet descendants of the old heroes.

> >

> > Eventually, you discover hints about a temple dedicated to the land's elemental dragon. It's under the capital where after centuries of the city building atop itself, it finally got lost. So you go deep under the capital's crime ridden slums and sewers to find this old forgotten temple. A big revelation occurs to your group as you inspect the murals; It's not a jade dragon at all that you have been fighting! It's the water dragon! Shiro's curse changed the dragon from water to jade while it was sleeping under the sea. It all makes sense to Taimi! An island nation is the perfect place for a water dragon to live and it was sleeping when GW1 Faction's event took place so it was in a weakened state, enabling Shiro's curse to affect it. And it can swim through the jade sea like it used to swim through water before, making it unreachable unless you bait it out, but it will still be invincible then.

> >

> > Braham jokingly says it would be way easier to reach and kill this dragon if the jade was back to water, which the group sees as a great idea; let's break Shiro's curse!

> >

> > We need Rytlock's link to the underworld to either summon Shiro and get his help undoing his deeds, or go there directly. The summoning of Shiro only end up giving you 1 piece of information; he doesn't care about helping you. So now you need to go to the part of the underworld where he reigns to force him to help you break his curse.

> >

> > It works and you get to finally start an offensive against the now softer skinned water dragon.

> >

> >

> > From here, i will let your imagination work as to how it all takes place. a boss to be fought underwater? or on boats? Inside the palace as the dragon takes it's revenge for you damaging it?

> > And the jade sea could have a slim splashing effect as you walk on it in post story maps since it finally starts to melt. Since it will take a very long time for the curse to wear off on the land, it enables the first few maps on the jade sea to be kept in the game ;)

> >

> > also; new class for toons will be the ninja ;)

>

>

>

> I didn't read all the comments so I may repeat things that have already been said. Sorry about that.

>

> Thing is...This story does not make sense at all, beginning with the lore. Here's why:

>

> 1) Cantha has been isolated for centuries. How would they hear about what happen in Tyria? Let alone, of a commander probably of a specy they don't know and their location in Elona?

> 2) Why would we help them? Cantha is SSSOOOOO far away and we already have a ton of dearing problems to deal with in Elona and Tyria. Why would we go to war in foreign land we know nothing about just to fight a dragon when we found out they should not be killed? No more right of interference. We need a VERY serious reason to do so. Riches and helping-people-selflssly-stuff is not.

> 3) An ocean dragon chosing to take rest in a sea with no connectin to his domains? I don't buy it for a second. Especially considering that the deep sea dragon is probably half the size of the jade sea anyway...

> 4) Also, though the jade wind origns remains mostly a mystery, it doesn't have to do with shiro himself, so he doesn't have the power to dispel it. Furthermore, I don't imagine for one second that a creature as powerful as an elder dragon is corrupted so easily. Or that it take him 460 years to wake up after such a disturbance

> 5) Why would turning the jade back into water make the dragon any easier to deal with. He just go back to its original state...which means gigantic and invincible. No airships or mind tricks this time...

> 6) The jade sea has ALREADY beginning to turn bac to water at the end of GW1. It should be pretty advanced by now.

> 7) Where is the place of the dragon empire in this story? Khuunvang? Luxons? Kurzicks? Tamnakhai? It would be a shame if they don't have a place.

>

> Personnal opinion: I don't want to make ANY Pact with Shiro f...... Tagachi. May he rot in the realm of torment for all eternity!

>

> Personnal rant: Ninja? I see you coming... NO. Hell no. No more stupid archetypal false cliche of stupid acrobatic killer. I'm sick and tired of it. Unless it's done accordingly to what shinobis axtually were. And we have to give a different name. Cause ninja is a chinese term and chinese doesn't exists in the universe of Tyria.

>

> Positive comment? The idea of a dragon swimming through jade is REALLY cool. I love it. Looks like a beautiful challenge.

>

> But no. Rework needed.

>

> I sincerely apologize if I sound harsh. No offense meant, i just want the lore to be respected.

>

> Thanks for the idea anyway. Have a good day.

yeah, lost my interest at "Ninja" myself. I suppose he is wearing an orange jumpsuit too.

> @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> @Oglaf.1074, exactly, and no one likes to do jumping puzles in a norn...

>

> Imo Norns needs more atention than lore in this game :\ the way male norns walk and jump... it feels like playing a golem underwater.....

I actually did most of the JPs on my main (a max height norn guardian). Its ... interesting... i used to love (read "hate with all my guts") the old Troll's End Jumping puzzle in LA. The "new" camera options did help with that a lot though!

On topic, yeah, i think it's time Arena Net steered away from the "Nostalgia Bomb" approach, and start giving us new things. Especially because GW2 can't compete with GW1 in terms of how large maps feel, and how much geography it covers.

Kourna is a good example of it... It's one of the few regions in GW1 i'm familiar with, and it's tiny in GW2 compared to how it feels in GW1. Especially because in GW1 you can't jump, so maps are more "on rails" or more like open air dungeons than terrain you're exploring. Those confines allow devs to make smaller maps look way larger and more intricate. Kinda how Dry top actually feels larger than it actually is (a bit less now due to mounts), because there's so many choke points that restrict movement and force you to travel in a somewhat fixed way.