Why am I (gold rank) getting matched vs high plats/god of PvP?

Kokoro.8437

Hello,

I have just gotten out of an incredibly frustrating match.

I was Gold ranked. 1428 MMR.

I have just gotten out a match vs a God of PvP and other top 250 players.

Why is this even a thing? I couldn't do anything that match. I didn't enjoy. i didn't learn anything. THIS IS NOT FUN.

Screenshot attached and names not crossed out because they're relevant for people to check up on the MMR of my team and my opponent's team.

Why is this a thing arenanet? I am ranked in gold. I want to play vs other gold players, and I sure as hell should NOT be anywhere near top 250 players. This is not fun for me and not fun even if there were other plats on my team.

Please implement a hard lock on matchmaking to at most, other players in my tier!

Bronze VS Bronze, Silver vs Silver, Gold vs Gold, Plat vs Plat!! ![](https://i.imgur.com/wdmBm3z.jpg "")

Unfortunately I think population in this game is too small. I've gotten matched with top players in my team when the other team was basically a top and 4 golds and have gotten matched against 5 top players and 4 plat 1's in lower plat. If they remove inter-tier matchmaking then you can expect hour-long queues already at plat so that doesn't work either. I wish they would just stop treating this like a full out competitive game and do some adjustments like allow duo queues back up there so we can improve overall qualities of matches AT LEAST. As you said, it's bad that gold/plat players can't learn and bad that legendary players get stuck closer to our rating.

If you or they were in queue for too long padding gets applied to the rating. It lowered peoples queue times that are not getting matches at the expense of match quality.

Best advice I can give is to restart any queue over 5 min. However, that won't prevent the system from derating them down to your level.

This is not matchmaking problem, it's just Revenant sucks ,plus you gave up.

Today i tried thief in PvP and you know, even as revenant i would be more useful. Was not fun at all! I couldn't oppose silly builds as condi guardian or scourges, warriors. Had no problems with them as scrapper, reaper, ranger.

**Resume** : you have 28 games, and revenant sucks, rank does not matter. Only ~5 specs can fight anything. Rev requires skill and luck. Try something else so you will be able to have fun.

Most people have address your question; the population is too low and you're either getting boosted up to platinum or they down to gold for the sake of queue time.

However, It doesn't answer the question as to why they were both on the same team. I'm not sure if the team comp is created around the real or adjusted average player rating.

All in all, I think a game mode that was made for more than 5 players per team would help offset some of this. The impact is heavily felt on the smaller scale.

> @"Frostmane.9734" said:

> Most people have address your question; the population is too low and you're either getting boosted up to platinum or they down to gold for the sake of queue time.

>

> However, It doesn't answer the question as to why they were both on the same team. I'm not sure if the team comp is created around the real or adjusted average player rating.

>

> All in all, I think a game mode that was made for more than 5 players per team would help offset some of this. The impact is heavily felt on the smaller scale.

Do you think a mode allowing for more players (let us say, 6 or 7) per team, attract more people into PvP? Also would it be a capture-the-thing like Conquest or are you thinking more along the lines of a death toll with timer?

> @"maxwelgm.4315" said:

> > @"Frostmane.9734" said:

> > Most people have address your question; the population is too low and you're either getting boosted up to platinum or they down to gold for the sake of queue time.

> >

> > However, It doesn't answer the question as to why they were both on the same team. I'm not sure if the team comp is created around the real or adjusted average player rating.

> >

> > All in all, I think a game mode that was made for more than 5 players per team would help offset some of this. The impact is heavily felt on the smaller scale.

>

> Do you think a mode allowing for more players (let us say, 6 or 7) per team, attract more people into PvP? Also would it be a capture-the-thing like Conquest or are you thinking more along the lines of a death toll with timer?

I think it would, but even if it wouldn't some variety would be better than what we have now. A 20 player team deathmatch or capture the flag would be great. I personally really like stronghold.

5v5 mode is very punishing for the team if some players are weak. The power (or weakness, ex. afk) created by 1 person is huge and not pvp friendly for people who want to try it.

Anet keeped his challenging game mode for all thoses years and it's why so many people are complainig about it : not enought players because a lot of them left this game mode. They can't have fun.

A 10v10 open pvp like those of WOW are much more average player friendly.

This padding nonsense is the worst in every game.

Why call it a "matchmaking" when it is allowed to do exactly the very opposite?

Such stuff keeps me mad at LoL and won't get me playing PvP in this game as well.

Why?

Just a little explanation from a GW2 PvE-only person but playing PvP in other games:

When I play a game with a self-proclaimed "matchmaking" (the term in itself is pretty strong and self-explaining) I expect a rating behind my skills. And I would not even give a single flick if I am rock bottom. HOWEVER within the rock bottom player bracket, I'd like (and probably would) have fun trying to beat similar skilled players. But "matchmakings" like these with their padding and nonsense prevent me and any other sane player from joining and raising the population. In LoL, despite having tens of thousands of players available around the clock for the average player does the same things: Put 5 people in a pot, mix it up, divide by 5, there you go.

But this is so bad. I do not even dare to play PvP in this game, because I litearlly see all the unfun "matchmaking" fails that basically render the term matchmaking obsolete such as me being a filler for good players vs average enemies. Neither my guys have fun with me, nor do I have fun with better enemies. Or "padding" nonsense.

Excelsior.

Generally, the match making... barely works. I run into games like these all the time. Without stressing on players ranking, most the games I play have significant player skill variance.

I would say you would get about 1-2 in every 10 games being fairly competitive games. The rest.. are predetermined wins or losses. That was a predetermined loss.

If it makes you feel any better, last season, I was on my run to making Platinum on my Core Thief.

I had won the last 8 of 12 matches. I was at Gold 1,487, literally one good win away from reaching Plat.

I get matched against the number 9 player in the game, Vallun himself (at least, he was number 9 by two points at the end of the match... 1,701).

We didn't stand a chance. The Mid fight lasted about 5 seconds. It went just as badly after that. We lost 501-85, and I dropped another 10 rank points.

Two games later, I get teamed up with someone who was afk for the first minute of the match. Then I get matched on a team with a second Thief.

All in all, it took me 7 matches after losing to Vallun before I finally hit Plat.

> @"Lordrosicky.5813" said:

> Because the population of this game is non-existent due to the power creep which made the game not fun at all.

and theres a group of people that aren't playing until Anet finalizes the trial of duo queue.... I'm one of them, about 8 people on Discord and throughout the forums plenty of people within their communities have said similar things.

I wonder if the people who changed the game to this set up back near season 5 still play the game? Or did they quit when they realized that even by removing team queue, they still didn't get much higher in rank.

> @"Nilson.9865" said:

> This is not matchmaking problem, it's just Revenant sucks ,plus you gave up.

> Today i tried thief in PvP and you know, even as revenant i would be more useful. Was not fun at all! I couldn't oppose silly builds as condi guardian or scourges, warriors. Had no problems with them as scrapper, reaper, ranger.

> **Resume** : you have 28 games, and revenant sucks, rank does not matter. Only ~5 specs can fight anything. Rev requires skill and luck. Try something else so you will be able to have fun.

how does revenant suck? what is this ideology that revenant is a bad class? It is actually the contrary, a very powerful class capable of carrying games get that in your heads NA players