Why Lock new weapon quests behind crafting?

Rufo.3716

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > I don't understand why anyone wouldn't level up the crafting diciplines..

> >

> > They're a great source of exp for leveling up characters, they give many skins for both armor and weapons, essential for some collections and legendary gear, easy way to keep your gear upto scratch as you level.

> >

> > Imo ignoring the crafting system will hurt your Gw2 experience in the long run.. specially if your goal is to collect as much as possible or attain end game gear and legendary stuff.

>

> I suppose that it is a matter of perspective. Engaging in crafting makes any play session completely unenjoyable for me. I have limited play time. Actively attempting to ruin that limited time seems like a bad idea.

I could understand that if the crafting system was really arduous and you needed to invest hours just to rank it up one level.

Gw2's crafting system really isn't like that at all though.. if anything the crafting system is overly simplified and doesn't take that long to learn how to use.

Even for a casual player maxing out crafting isn't difficult, refine your materials at the end of each play session and leveling it up over time in small portions is easily done if playtime is limited.

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > I don't understand why anyone wouldn't level up the crafting diciplines..

> > >

> > > They're a great source of exp for leveling up characters, they give many skins for both armor and weapons, essential for some collections and legendary gear, easy way to keep your gear upto scratch as you level.

> > >

> > > Imo ignoring the crafting system will hurt your Gw2 experience in the long run.. specially if your goal is to collect as much as possible or attain end game gear and legendary stuff.

> >

> > I suppose that it is a matter of perspective. Engaging in crafting makes any play session completely unenjoyable for me. I have limited play time. Actively attempting to ruin that limited time seems like a bad idea.

>

> I could understand that if the crafting system was really arduous and you needed to invest hours just to rank it up one level.

>

> Gw2's crafting system really isn't like that at all though.. if anything the crafting system is overly simplified and doesn't take that long to learn how to use.

> Even for a casual player maxing out crafting isn't difficult, refine your materials at the end of each play session and leveling it up over time in small portions is easily done if playtime is limited.

So spread out the activity that ruins any play session over multiple play sessions in order to make logging into the game as unenjoyable as possible for as long as possible?

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > > I don't understand why anyone wouldn't level up the crafting diciplines..

> > > >

> > > > They're a great source of exp for leveling up characters, they give many skins for both armor and weapons, essential for some collections and legendary gear, easy way to keep your gear upto scratch as you level.

> > > >

> > > > Imo ignoring the crafting system will hurt your Gw2 experience in the long run.. specially if your goal is to collect as much as possible or attain end game gear and legendary stuff.

> > >

> > > I suppose that it is a matter of perspective. Engaging in crafting makes any play session completely unenjoyable for me. I have limited play time. Actively attempting to ruin that limited time seems like a bad idea.

> >

> > I could understand that if the crafting system was really arduous and you needed to invest hours just to rank it up one level.

> >

> > Gw2's crafting system really isn't like that at all though.. if anything the crafting system is overly simplified and doesn't take that long to learn how to use.

> > Even for a casual player maxing out crafting isn't difficult, refine your materials at the end of each play session and leveling it up over time in small portions is easily done if playtime is limited.

>

> So spread out the activity that ruins any play session over multiple play sessions in order to make logging into the game as unenjoyable as possible for as long as possible?

You're literally complaining about minutes.. if not seconds of your time looking at a crafting menu before you log out.

Do you seriously think that ruins your entire play session?

If so then I've no advice other than just don't bother with it then.

I take it you don't play many MMO's often though.. crafting systems are usually far more time and resource demanding than the one in Gw2..

ESO, STO, Aion just to name a few I've personally played, maxing out those crafting deciplines can take literally years for a casual player lol

(We're literally talking about time gated researching mechanics that take days to complete)

I'm glad Gw2 has nothing like that.

even while i am lucky enough that i just happened to have 2 in storage (and almost trowed it away), i do think it's a low thing to do by locking it yet again behind max crafting.

i absolutely loath crafting in GW2, it's not really rewarding, takes tons of time when gold is an issue and it is only getting worse and worse the higher it goes.

i know crafting of ESO and LOTRO is the repeat kind but it's fun to do, it feels rewarding and makes me want to immerse myself in crafting.

even after 6 years i have yet to get any crafting above 450 let alone 500 and as long as Anet doesn't take a hint of interest in improving it i never will.

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > > > I don't understand why anyone wouldn't level up the crafting diciplines..

> > > > >

> > > > > They're a great source of exp for leveling up characters, they give many skins for both armor and weapons, essential for some collections and legendary gear, easy way to keep your gear upto scratch as you level.

> > > > >

> > > > > Imo ignoring the crafting system will hurt your Gw2 experience in the long run.. specially if your goal is to collect as much as possible or attain end game gear and legendary stuff.

> > > >

> > > > I suppose that it is a matter of perspective. Engaging in crafting makes any play session completely unenjoyable for me. I have limited play time. Actively attempting to ruin that limited time seems like a bad idea.

> > >

> > > I could understand that if the crafting system was really arduous and you needed to invest hours just to rank it up one level.

> > >

> > > Gw2's crafting system really isn't like that at all though.. if anything the crafting system is overly simplified and doesn't take that long to learn how to use.

> > > Even for a casual player maxing out crafting isn't difficult, refine your materials at the end of each play session and leveling it up over time in small portions is easily done if playtime is limited.

> >

> > So spread out the activity that ruins any play session over multiple play sessions in order to make logging into the game as unenjoyable as possible for as long as possible?

>

> You're literally complaining about minutes.. if not seconds of your time looking at a crafting menu before you log out.

> Do you seriously think that ruins your entire play session?

>

> If so then I've no advice other than just don't bother with it then.

> I take it you don't play many MMO's often though.. crafting systems are usually far more time and resource demanding than the one in Gw2..

> ESO, STO, Aion just to name a few I've personally played, maxing out those crafting deciplines can take literally years for a casual player lol

> (We're literally talking about time gated researching mechanics that take days to complete)

> I'm glad Gw2 has nothing like that.

How many flies do you have to find in your soup before you consider the dish ruined?

Ive played a few MMOs, some with more frequency than others. Havent found one where I enjoy spending my time crafting rather than adventuring.

I dont bother with crafting here. I also tend to reign in spending on the game if something I desire is added to the game gated behind crafting. Others have mentioned non crafting alternatives which I shall pursue when the opportunity presents.

> @"Zedek.8932" said:

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > You know

> > This reasoning can be a damper on any content

> > "Why do i have to put in effort to get just about anything?"

>

> The problem to me is that I do wish to play GuildWars2, not MineCraft or Harvest Moon.

> That's like saying in real life: If you want a house, you need to master all the different professions that requires them. You better start your plumber career today, becasuse you need to be architect later...

>

> I am also strongly against crafting as a gating feature in every MMO.

>

> In FF14 for example, to get my Stardust upgraded, I did not learn to craft. I needed to fight. The reason why I play this instead of a collecting/farming simulation.

>

> Excelsior.

thing is, you are playing GW2. As crafting is part of the game.

> @"Zedek.8932" said:

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > You know

> > This reasoning can be a damper on any content

> > "Why do i have to put in effort to get just about anything?"

>

> The problem to me is that I do wish to play GuildWars2, not MineCraft or Harvest Moon.

> That's like saying in real life: If you want a house, you need to master all the different professions that requires them. You better start your plumber career today, becasuse you need to be architect later...

>

> I am also strongly against crafting as a gating feature in every MMO.

>

> In FF14 for example, to get my Stardust upgraded, I did not learn to craft. I needed to fight. The reason why I play this instead of a collecting/farming simulation.

>

> Excelsior.

If you want a house 8n real life, you need to be a plumber and an architect, no, but its a means.

So thats a pretty strong hyperbole argument.

That said, you want to play gw2? Congratulations, by crafting you are playing gw2 because its one of the many pillars of material acquisition in this game.

These items are three unique skins, so its only fair to say that unique items should also, always have a mechanic, or several mechanics, tied to it that cannot or should be skipped simply because one doesn’t like them.

For example. i can’t get through wvw, simply because of the hours it would take.

Am i telling anet we should get a PvE gate for the Warcry? No.

If you want the skins, you need to play the associate requirements.

If you dont like crafting, and are adamant about not going to craft you have two options.

FF14 still exists, and many other games, that don’t have crafting.

Or let it go, like I let Warcry go

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > > > > I don't understand why anyone wouldn't level up the crafting diciplines..

> > > > > >

> > > > > > They're a great source of exp for leveling up characters, they give many skins for both armor and weapons, essential for some collections and legendary gear, easy way to keep your gear upto scratch as you level.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Imo ignoring the crafting system will hurt your Gw2 experience in the long run.. specially if your goal is to collect as much as possible or attain end game gear and legendary stuff.

> > > > >

> > > > > I suppose that it is a matter of perspective. Engaging in crafting makes any play session completely unenjoyable for me. I have limited play time. Actively attempting to ruin that limited time seems like a bad idea.

> > > >

> > > > I could understand that if the crafting system was really arduous and you needed to invest hours just to rank it up one level.

> > > >

> > > > Gw2's crafting system really isn't like that at all though.. if anything the crafting system is overly simplified and doesn't take that long to learn how to use.

> > > > Even for a casual player maxing out crafting isn't difficult, refine your materials at the end of each play session and leveling it up over time in small portions is easily done if playtime is limited.

> > >

> > > So spread out the activity that ruins any play session over multiple play sessions in order to make logging into the game as unenjoyable as possible for as long as possible?

> >

> > You're literally complaining about minutes.. if not seconds of your time looking at a crafting menu before you log out.

> > Do you seriously think that ruins your entire play session?

> >

> > If so then I've no advice other than just don't bother with it then.

> > I take it you don't play many MMO's often though.. crafting systems are usually far more time and resource demanding than the one in Gw2..

> > ESO, STO, Aion just to name a few I've personally played, maxing out those crafting deciplines can take literally years for a casual player lol

> > (We're literally talking about time gated researching mechanics that take days to complete)

> > I'm glad Gw2 has nothing like that.

>

> How many flies do you have to find in your soup before you consider the dish ruined?

>

> Ive played a few MMOs, some with more frequency than others. Havent found one where I enjoy spending my time crafting rather than adventuring.

>

> I dont bother with crafting here. I also tend to reign in spending on the game if something I desire is added to the game gated behind crafting. Others have mentioned non crafting alternatives which I shall pursue when the opportunity presents.

What you see as a fly most people see as a pea..

Crafting isn't for everyone, sure I get that and if some people don't want to bother with it that's entierly their own choice.

Aside from skins I don't see many things locked away from you due to crafting.

Even ascended gear can be earned or looted via other alternatives.

I can accept you don't like or want to use the crafting systems.. each ot their own and all that.

But I don't get how it's existence ruins the game for you just because there's a few things you can't obtain without using it.. there's plenty of other things in the game you can go after instead.

I swear even if Anet had these weapons were delivered to us through mail there would be people complaining that that it is too much effort to open the mail.

Its a game so play it. It a diverse game and there are always things that you do not like that others are not bothered by or enjoy and thus some rewards will be behind them. Even if you absolutely loath crafting but really love the new skins it is just 1 hour to level it. Deal with it.

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > > > > > I don't understand why anyone wouldn't level up the crafting diciplines..

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > They're a great source of exp for leveling up characters, they give many skins for both armor and weapons, essential for some collections and legendary gear, easy way to keep your gear upto scratch as you level.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Imo ignoring the crafting system will hurt your Gw2 experience in the long run.. specially if your goal is to collect as much as possible or attain end game gear and legendary stuff.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I suppose that it is a matter of perspective. Engaging in crafting makes any play session completely unenjoyable for me. I have limited play time. Actively attempting to ruin that limited time seems like a bad idea.

> > > > >

> > > > > I could understand that if the crafting system was really arduous and you needed to invest hours just to rank it up one level.

> > > > >

> > > > > Gw2's crafting system really isn't like that at all though.. if anything the crafting system is overly simplified and doesn't take that long to learn how to use.

> > > > > Even for a casual player maxing out crafting isn't difficult, refine your materials at the end of each play session and leveling it up over time in small portions is easily done if playtime is limited.

> > > >

> > > > So spread out the activity that ruins any play session over multiple play sessions in order to make logging into the game as unenjoyable as possible for as long as possible?

> > >

> > > You're literally complaining about minutes.. if not seconds of your time looking at a crafting menu before you log out.

> > > Do you seriously think that ruins your entire play session?

> > >

> > > If so then I've no advice other than just don't bother with it then.

> > > I take it you don't play many MMO's often though.. crafting systems are usually far more time and resource demanding than the one in Gw2..

> > > ESO, STO, Aion just to name a few I've personally played, maxing out those crafting deciplines can take literally years for a casual player lol

> > > (We're literally talking about time gated researching mechanics that take days to complete)

> > > I'm glad Gw2 has nothing like that.

> >

> > How many flies do you have to find in your soup before you consider the dish ruined?

> >

> > Ive played a few MMOs, some with more frequency than others. Havent found one where I enjoy spending my time crafting rather than adventuring.

> >

> > I dont bother with crafting here. I also tend to reign in spending on the game if something I desire is added to the game gated behind crafting. Others have mentioned non crafting alternatives which I shall pursue when the opportunity presents.

>

> What you see as a fly most people see as a pea..

>

> Crafting isn't for everyone, sure I get that and if some people don't want to bother with it that's entierly their own choice.

> Aside from skins I don't see many things locked away from you due to crafting.

> Even ascended gear can be earned or looted via other alternatives.

>

> I can accept you don't like or want to use the crafting systems.. each ot their own and all that.

> But I don't get how it's existence ruins the game for you just because there's a few things you can't obtain without using it.. there's plenty of other things in the game you can go after instead.

I would not presume to speak for, "most people," unless I had actually polled most of the game's hundreds of thousands of players to factually establish their position on the matter.

How other people see that fly is not relevant because I was responding to your comment about how crafting would take only a small amount of time. My analogy was accurate because picking an insect out of an otherwise acceptable food dish would also take a very short period of time.

I dont recall saying that the existence of crafting ruined the game for me. I did say that engaging in crafting would ruin a play session. That said, it took me years to acquire a single partial set of ascended equipment for my main without crafting. I continue to pursue additional pieces without crafting to this day. Anet's about face on a gear tier above exotic was bad enough IMO, gating it (although looser today than in the past) behind crafting did impact my perception of the game to some degree. I dont consider the game ruined, but I also do not consider it worth the hundreds of dollars per month that I had budgeted for it previously.

The problem isn't crafting which is generally fun, but maybe the lack of alternative ways of getting special items ?

I mean, exclusive skins are only in gemstore, whether it's about black lion weapons, mount skins or even deltaplan skins. Legendary weapons are only via crafting. Should at least 1 of these items be obtainable through a chain of quests/event, like it could happen in GW1 ?

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > > > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > > > > > > I don't understand why anyone wouldn't level up the crafting diciplines..

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > They're a great source of exp for leveling up characters, they give many skins for both armor and weapons, essential for some collections and legendary gear, easy way to keep your gear upto scratch as you level.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Imo ignoring the crafting system will hurt your Gw2 experience in the long run.. specially if your goal is to collect as much as possible or attain end game gear and legendary stuff.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > I suppose that it is a matter of perspective. Engaging in crafting makes any play session completely unenjoyable for me. I have limited play time. Actively attempting to ruin that limited time seems like a bad idea.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > I could understand that if the crafting system was really arduous and you needed to invest hours just to rank it up one level.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Gw2's crafting system really isn't like that at all though.. if anything the crafting system is overly simplified and doesn't take that long to learn how to use.

> > > > > > Even for a casual player maxing out crafting isn't difficult, refine your materials at the end of each play session and leveling it up over time in small portions is easily done if playtime is limited.

> > > > >

> > > > > So spread out the activity that ruins any play session over multiple play sessions in order to make logging into the game as unenjoyable as possible for as long as possible?

> > > >

> > > > You're literally complaining about minutes.. if not seconds of your time looking at a crafting menu before you log out.

> > > > Do you seriously think that ruins your entire play session?

> > > >

> > > > If so then I've no advice other than just don't bother with it then.

> > > > I take it you don't play many MMO's often though.. crafting systems are usually far more time and resource demanding than the one in Gw2..

> > > > ESO, STO, Aion just to name a few I've personally played, maxing out those crafting deciplines can take literally years for a casual player lol

> > > > (We're literally talking about time gated researching mechanics that take days to complete)

> > > > I'm glad Gw2 has nothing like that.

> > >

> > > How many flies do you have to find in your soup before you consider the dish ruined?

> > >

> > > Ive played a few MMOs, some with more frequency than others. Havent found one where I enjoy spending my time crafting rather than adventuring.

> > >

> > > I dont bother with crafting here. I also tend to reign in spending on the game if something I desire is added to the game gated behind crafting. Others have mentioned non crafting alternatives which I shall pursue when the opportunity presents.

> >

> > What you see as a fly most people see as a pea..

> >

> > Crafting isn't for everyone, sure I get that and if some people don't want to bother with it that's entierly their own choice.

> > Aside from skins I don't see many things locked away from you due to crafting.

> > Even ascended gear can be earned or looted via other alternatives.

> >

> > I can accept you don't like or want to use the crafting systems.. each ot their own and all that.

> > But I don't get how it's existence ruins the game for you just because there's a few things you can't obtain without using it.. there's plenty of other things in the game you can go after instead.

>

> I would not presume to speak for, "most people," unless I had actually polled most of the game's hundreds of thousands of players to factually establish their position on the matter.

>

> How other people see that fly is not relevant because I was responding to your comment about how crafting would take only a small amount of time. My analogy was accurate because picking an insect out of an otherwise acceptable food dish would also take a very short period of time.

>

> I dont recall saying that the existence of crafting ruined the game for me. I did say that engaging in crafting would ruin a play session. That said, it took me years to acquire a single partial set of ascended equipment for my main without crafting. I continue to pursue additional pieces without crafting to this day. Anet's about face on a gear tier above exotic was bad enough IMO, gating it (although looser today than in the past) behind crafting did impact my perception of the game to some degree. I dont consider the game ruined, but I also do not consider it worth the hundreds of dollars per month that I had budgeted for it previously.

I presumed purely on the grounds that crafting is a well known and pretty much expected feature in pretty much all MMO's.

I do believe your distaste for Gw2's crafting system specifically is not a commonly held opinion among Gw2 players.. but no I can't factually prove it and lets be honest I doubt either of us really care how many people overall may or may not love/hate the system.

The real issue as you said is content you feel is gated because you don't craft.

I can understand why you would feel that way, although I would stress that aside from high level fractals I really don't see ascended gear (specifically armor) as a necessary thing to own in the game.. even for raiding.

I've been playing Gw1 since it's launch and same for Gw2 as well and I'd consider myself a reasonably experienced player with over 27,500 Ap score, fully maxed out primery crafting disciplines etc and I still don't own a full set of ascended gear on any of my characters, The only pieces I do own have been obtained through loot or purchased.. much like how you've obtained yours.

I could easily craft it sure but I honestly don't see the point in wasting the materials on them.

I'm not going to judge your personal bias/views on what's worth investing you money in, again your money/choice and all that.

But I can judge my own bias/views and say honestly that I do not regret investing any of the money i've poured into this game or better company over the last 13 years.

> @"Turin.6921" said:

> I swear even if Anet had these weapons were delivered to us through mail there would be people complaining that that it is too much effort to open the mail.

>

> Its a game so play it. It a diverse game and there are always things that you do not like that others are not bothered by or enjoy and thus some rewards will be behind them. Even if you absolutely loath crafting but really love the new skins it is just 1 hour to level it. Deal with it.

Yes, I really can't grasp the complaint. There are lots of things I want locked behind things I don't like doing. What makes THESE weapons locked behind THIS activity any different for the OP than any other thing other players want locked behind things they don't like? Nothing. If the OP doesn't like having things he wants locked behind things he don't like doing, he should be picking his MMO's much more wisely. Is there any MMO that doesn't work this way?