Why Lock new weapon quests behind crafting?

Rufo.3716

I just realized, if you're a person who's never leveled crafting, then you probably never used the lesser vision crystals you got from the Exotic Attire, and Rare Regalia collections (since the only use they have is in crafting ascended armor). There's your two crystals right there. If you don't have the collections done, I'm pretty sure all the parts can be bought on the trading post. So, they have actually provided you with all the tools you need to avoid raising up your crafting.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get how I'm being lazy, and honestly, getting sick of it because that's not the case at all. Just because I don't want to do something I don't enjoy doing. Is not getting the collections good enough, I have to go and level up crafting, something that has no use to me other than to get these weapons? Frankly, crafting in this game is poorly implemented, anything that can be crafted, should be able to be sold. That is the primary reason for crafting, the people who enjoy it get to make money off of the things they can make. If they wanted to lock these new weapons behind crafting, make them so people can craft and sell them to people who don't enjoy that part of the game.

Could you imagine the outrage of PvE players had these been locked behind endless hours of PvP. Even if these weapons were raid only, at least they would be obtainable by anybody who would care to try and get them.

No matter what is done by ArenaNet there will always be people who like something and other people will dislike it. I remember there were several threads in this forum by people complaining about Piles of Bloodstone Dust, Dragonite Ore and Empyreal Fragments ... how all this garbage is flooding their bank and inventory and there are not enough sinks and eaters and such things. Good news: all this stuff can be used to craft (Lesser) Vision Crystals.

> @"Rufo.3716" said:

> I don't get how I'm being lazy, and honestly, getting sick of it because that's not the case at all. Just because I don't want to do something I don't enjoy doing. Is not getting the collections good enough, I have to go and level up crafting, something that has no use to me other than to get these weapons? Frankly, crafting in this game is poorly implemented, anything that can be crafted, should be able to be sold. That is the primary reason for crafting, the people who enjoy it get to make money off of the things they can make. If they wanted to lock these new weapons behind crafting, make them so people can craft and sell them to people who don't enjoy that part of the game.

>

> **Could you imagine the outrage of PvE players had these been locked behind endless hours of PvP**. Even if these weapons were raid only, at least they would be obtainable by anybody who would care to try and get them.

You mean like these weapons?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hero%27s_weapons

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mistforged_Hero%27s_weapons

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Obsidian_weapons

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mistforged_Obsidian_weapons

I just don't understand how locking skins behind another type of content is ok, even one a lot of people find extremely difficult to complete and intimidating to even attempt like raids or PvP, but locking it behind crafting, something where it's literally impossible to fail or lose progress - it's just a matter of time and money to progress, nothing else - is so objectionable just because it's something you personally do not enjoy doing.

> @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the word "toxic" is being over-used to the point that it holds no meaning other than just, "I don't like this."

Well of course it can mean that, its to each to interpret. My meaning was that making negative statements as if they are fact vs opinion do nothing to aid, change or add productively to a scenario. They are just toxic meaning anti-aid, change or productivity and bring nothing but harm or negativity to the moment; saying something sucks or is awful example " crafting in this game is poorly implemented," without supporting evidence or options for change that are balanced and fair with the understanding that they are suggestions and not fact... are just not helpful and are "toxic" because the developers will tend to stop listening to the community when we fill the forum with these statements vs actual feedback. They also impact new players and community as well.

There is simply no way an MMO can cater to players who like/dislike specific parts of certain game modes. Better to design somethign they believe (or know since they have actual metrics) will be appropriate. Plenty of modes have exclusives, whther locked behind wvw, pvp, raids, fractals etc. Collections + crafting is a perfectly reasonable thing for them to do.

Frankly I am already surprised they made them this accessible

Even though I realize some folk just do not like the crafting aspect, it was worth getting all those done for the AP you get and the rewards the AP gives you as it increases. Additionally now when I need something I can just make it. It was tedious leveling up the crafting but when something in the game has come out that involves the crafting aspect it is just one less thing I worry about these days. Anyone who has played the game for a while and has chosen not to do crafting most likely will have the money and or mats to get it done if needed. There are multiple guides to fast track and just get it out of the way if you have access to the materials you need. Some guides even give you the amounts you should have on hand. If you have any crafting boosters and guild boosters it goes even faster. This is a great website: http://gw2crafts.net/

I consider these new weapons a nice reward for putting in the time and effort I have put into leveling up my crafting areas.

> @"Rufo.3716" said:

> I don't get how I'm being lazy, and honestly, getting sick of it because that's not the case at all. Just because I don't want to do something I don't enjoy doing. Is not getting the collections good enough, I have to go and level up crafting, something that has no use to me other than to get these weapons? Frankly, crafting in this game is poorly implemented, anything that can be crafted, should be able to be sold. That is the primary reason for crafting, the people who enjoy it get to make money off of the things they can make. If they wanted to lock these new weapons behind crafting, make them so people can craft and sell them to people who don't enjoy that part of the game.

>

> Could you imagine the outrage of PvE players had these been locked behind endless hours of PvP. Even if these weapons were raid only, at least they would be obtainable by anybody who would care to try and get them.

Ahh so your a PvP player.. well I am sure many of us would like some of those nice PvP things. In fact I want to be maxed out on my achievements and pvp levels.. but hey I don't like pvp, please give me them anyway, cos it's not fair I have to do something I don't like doing to get the things I want..... really, really!

> @"Aerinndis.2730" said:

> Even though I realize some folk just do not like the crafting aspect, it was worth getting all those done for the AP you get and the rewards the AP gives you as it increases. Additionally now when I need something I can just make it. It was tedious leveling up the crafting but when something in the game has come out that involves the crafting aspect it is just one less thing I worry about these days. Anyone who has played the game for a while and has chosen not to do crafting most likely will have the money and or mats to get it done if needed. There are multiple guides to fast track and just get it out of the way if you have access to the materials you need. Some guides even give you the amounts you should have on hand. If you have any crafting boosters and guild boosters it goes even faster. This is a great website: http://gw2crafts.net/

>

> I consider these new weapons a nice reward for putting in the time and effort I have put into leveling up my crafting areas.

Exactly. I wouldn't say I enjoy crafting in GW2 and I was very slow to level it up because I'd just do a bit at a time when I had the materials or wanted to make something (in fact I think I'm still not level 500 on tailor and weaponsmith, and my scribe is about level 25). But I'm glad I did because it does come in useful, especially for collecting skins.

> @"Rufo.3716" said:

> Was looking forward to doing the quests for the weapons. However I have no desire or want to level a craft up to 500. There is absolutely no reason to do this other than to make some people who want to get the weapons angry.

>

> I'm serious Anet, I'd like to know why you did this.

Theres hardly any reason not to do this. Lvling crafting is already cheap enough and is tied to to msot things.

I don't want to put words into the OPs mouth, but for me, I find it surprising as this is, in a way, a community event: the weapons were designed by the community, and then ANET added them to the game. Why would they decide to put in a barrier to obtaining them? I thought the collection idea made sense. "go and do this, go and do that" and boom, you get weapon skins. I believe you need at least a LV 80 character to start the collection (correct me if I'm wrong), so isn't that enough? Why put in an arbitrary barrier of requiring the crafting of bind on acquire items.

Are these items meant to be exclusive? No

Is there some skill involved in leveling crafting to 500? No

I'm curious to understand the thought process behind it.

Personally I'm unaffected, as I have all crafters at the required level, and actually had the necessary materials already in storage. I just don't get the decision here. This is supposed to be a 'free' giveaway, if you will, and all the should be required is participating in the collection (which I have yet to start, but doesn't seem like an onerous task).

I don't buy the counter argument that you have to 'earn' these skins, as that is done by completing the collections.

Just odd.

> @"Rufo.3716" said:

> To me crafting should be to make exclusive weapons, armors, or other items. If you are making this a quest then make the weapons craftable and sellable on the trading post.

>

> If you want the crafting aspect of this game to thrive just put desirable items able to be sold on trading post. It angers me that the only way I can get these items is to level up an aspect of the game I really don't want to. They just gated these weapons for no good reason at all. If I had to buy an item that was made by crafters, great, they make money and I don't have to miss out on content.

U have the a choice in the mater. Do you want the skins enough that u will lvl up on of the crafting professions or not?

Dont see anything wrong with this.

> @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> You know

> This reasoning can be a damper on any content

> "Why do i have to put in effort to get just about anything?"

More like, why do boring content to get anything.

Should have just made it obtainable through multiple ways. Then again, I dont know what weapons OP is talking about.

> @"iKeostuKen.2738" said:

> > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > You know

> > This reasoning can be a damper on any content

> > "Why do i have to put in effort to get just about anything?"

>

> More like, why do boring content to get anything.

> Should have just made it obtainable through multiple ways. Then again, I dont know what weapons OP is talking about.

But -

A. Makes the process redundant, throws all the focus on the method of least effort/investment, and would still result in people complaining about how that "only method" out of the 3 ways to get it are "forcing them to do something they hate".

B. "Boring" is so subjective, and tossed around with impunity, that all of PvE could easily fall into this category. How long as this argument been going on for Gift of Battle? Where you can still cheese you're way through it, and essentially only costs you 8 hours of your time. Why do I need to do map complete to get Gift of Exploration?

> @"starlinvf.1358" said:

> > @"iKeostuKen.2738" said:

> > > @"Ayakaru.6583" said:

> > > You know

> > > This reasoning can be a damper on any content

> > > "Why do i have to put in effort to get just about anything?"

> >

> > More like, why do boring content to get anything.

> > Should have just made it obtainable through multiple ways. Then again, I dont know what weapons OP is talking about.

>

> But -

>

> A. Makes the process redundant, throws all the focus on the method of least effort/investment, and would still result in people complaining about how that "only method" out of the 3 ways to get it are "forcing them to do something they hate".

> B. "Boring" is so subjective, and tossed around with impunity, that all of PvE could easily fall into this category. How long as this argument been going on for Gift of Battle? Where you can still cheese you're way through it, and essentially only costs you 8 hours of your time. Why do I need to do map complete to get Gift of Exploration?

If people focus on least effort and investment, then it probably means the other methods arent... fun, or methods that interest them. If they designed obtainable content around things people found interesting that they could choose from, it wouldnt be so bad. A way for those who focus on PvE, PvP, and WvW.

Its subjective and its also my opinion. Crafting to me aside from chef on release is incredibly dull and boring. A reason for why I havent bothered to get ascended gear or even legendary equipments after all the years I played the game. Even if the reward is amazing, if the task to complete is face desk dull, gotta expect people to say something about it and try to change it. Would be better to just have given multiple paths to obtain it though.