Limit mounts for the next expansion(until map completion of the instance). Journey over Destination!

What I miss about Guild Wars was the exploration aspect of the game. If we do get an expansion like Cantha, it would be fun to explore the map with everyone without mounts. However don't completely exclude them. Just limit them until map completion for the specific instance please! Just a thought. After revisiting GW1 yesterday, I really miss the journal rather than destination aspect of the game. In GW1 everything was far away and you would have to play hours to get to a destination but it was enjoyable. Thank you for your consideration!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they can do that. GW2 has become a progressive game, where only few instances block out content you unlocked. Ppl got very used to mounts and will probably won't take it if the game forces them to take a step back. I do understand, and have experienced myself how mounts are trvializing almost every content that wasn't made with mounts in mind, much like gliding trivialised large portions of core tyria. Exploration, doing events, even JPs have changed a lot with the introduction of gliders and mounts, making things generally easier as players are more mobile now.

As an indvidual player of course, you are free to limit yourself however you see it improve your experience. So, rather than forcing a limitation to all players, I'd like things like this be an individual choice on the players side.

> @"lokh.2695" said:

> I don't think they can do that. GW2 has become a progressive game, where only few instances block out content you unlocked. Ppl got very used to mounts and will probably won't take it if the game forces them to take a step back. I do understand, and have experienced myself how mounts are trvializing almost every content that wasn't made with mounts in mind, much like gliding trivialised large portions of core tyria. Exploration, doing events, even JPs have changed a lot with the introduction of gliders and mounts, making things generally easier as players are more mobile now.

> As an indvidual player of course, you are free to limit yourself however you see it improve your experience. So, rather than forcing a limitation to all players, I'd like things like this be an individual choice on the players side.

That's understandable. It just feels different when you have the option to just mount and bypass everything xd.

> @"ChronosCosmos.9450" said:

> What I miss about Guild Wars was the exploration aspect of the game. If we do get an expansion like Cantha, it would be fun to explore the map with everyone without mounts. However don't completely exclude them. Just limit them until map completion for the specific instance please! Just a thought. After revisiting GW1 yesterday, I really miss the journal rather than destination aspect of the game. In GW1 everything was far away and you would have to play hours to get to a destination but it was enjoyable. Thank you for your consideration!

Why not just, you know, not use your mount, instead of trying to force everyone to not use their mounts?

> @"MachineManXX.9746" said:

> > @"ChronosCosmos.9450" said:

> > What I miss about Guild Wars was the exploration aspect of the game. If we do get an expansion like Cantha, it would be fun to explore the map with everyone without mounts. However don't completely exclude them. Just limit them until map completion for the specific instance please! Just a thought. After revisiting GW1 yesterday, I really miss the journal rather than destination aspect of the game. In GW1 everything was far away and you would have to play hours to get to a destination but it was enjoyable. Thank you for your consideration!

>

> Why not just, you know, not use your mount, instead of trying to force everyone to not use their mounts?

Yeah try that in the maps with the huge aggro range...

> @"Loosmaster.8263" said:

> > @"MachineManXX.9746" said:

> > > @"ChronosCosmos.9450" said:

> > > What I miss about Guild Wars was the exploration aspect of the game. If we do get an expansion like Cantha, it would be fun to explore the map with everyone without mounts. However don't completely exclude them. Just limit them until map completion for the specific instance please! Just a thought. After revisiting GW1 yesterday, I really miss the journal rather than destination aspect of the game. In GW1 everything was far away and you would have to play hours to get to a destination but it was enjoyable. Thank you for your consideration!

> >

> > Why not just, you know, not use your mount, instead of trying to force everyone to not use their mounts?

>

> Yeah try that in the maps with the huge aggro range...

I happen to like my mounts, so I would find no reason to do that. I'm not the one trying to force a step backward on everyone else due to my own preference.

> @"MachineManXX.9746" said:

> Why not just, you know, not use your mount, instead of trying to force everyone to not use their mounts?

I would like to make another suggestion. Anet, can you force the OP to play the game the way I want? I think the game is more fun when everybody has to play the way I want, even though how others play has no bearing on how I play.

I don't think they'll take mounts away from us, now that we have them. The mounts and the mastery lines that go to them have been earned, taking them away would be stripping away progress.

The new maps will have to be made to account for people that don't have PoF (and therefore, no mounts), however. I think they'll get past this by giving us places where we can rent regional versions of some of the mounts. That way they can make the whole map to be experienced on a mount, rather than having smaller things for people on foot that are too easily missed by people traveling faster.

> What I miss about Guild Wars was the exploration aspect of the game. If we do get an expansion like Cantha, it would be fun to explore the map with everyone without mounts. However don't completely exclude them. Just limit them until map completion for the specific instance please! Just a thought. After revisiting GW1 yesterday, I really miss the journal rather than destination aspect of the game. In GW1 everything was far away and you would have to play hours to get to a destination but it was enjoyable. Thank you for your consideration!

Nothing is stopping you from running maps without mounts. But why would you want _everyone_ to be forced to enjoy the game the same way that you do? Plus, what about people that start 3 months later, are they expected to try to keep up with friends who have already completed the map? Are their friends expected to have to dismount, again, so that the group can remain together?

I'm okay if ANet wants to release maps with lots of no-mount zones or no-fly zones, but I sincerely hate being gated by someone deciding for me what is supposed to be a good way to play. I hated it in GW1/Factions and in GW2/Nightfall and it's among the reasons I like GW2 better.

Easy solution by you. You can explore the next expansion without Mounts by yourself and enjoy your greatest experience. No one will ever bother to stop by you and say "Get on the mounts, bro".

in Fact, You can make another alt and explore the Gw2 maps again without mounts right now.

Keep it to yourself!

There is some valid concern about Mounts with the next expansion in my opinion. Mounts have largely made HoT masteries obsolete for exploration because they trivialize getting around the map. Do we expect the next expansion's masteries to overshadow mounts? This would be difficult as Mounts are already very powerful. Will Expansion 3's maps be designed with Springer/Mounts in mind? Or will they allow us to bypass platforming aspects? Either way players are going to be upset - you purchase an expansion and find areas you can't [easily] traverse, or you run into areas where the mounts you are used to using are restricted.

Personally I'd lean toward the 'Presume everyone has prior expansions' route with the caveat that they ensure story content (and perhaps map metas) requires none.

> @"Glacial.9516" said:

> There is some valid concern about Mounts with the next expansion in my opinion. Mounts have largely made HoT masteries obsolete for exploration because they trivialize getting around the map. Do we expect the next expansion's masteries to overshadow mounts? This would be difficult as Mounts are already very powerful. Will Expansion 3's maps be designed with Springer/Mounts in mind? Or will they allow us to bypass platforming aspects? Either way players are going to be upset - you purchase an expansion and find areas you can't [easily] traverse, or you run into areas where the mounts you are used to using are restricted.

>

> Personally I'd lean toward the 'Presume everyone has prior expansions' route with the caveat that they ensure story content (and perhaps map metas) requires none.

As I've said elsewhere, I expect there to be places to rent mounts on the new maps. That way anyone can have access to them, but you'll be better off if you have them for real and have filled out the mastery lines.

And with mounts there, I don't think we'll see movement as the theme again in Expansion 3. I'm not sure what we WILL see, but there's not much further they can push the movement abilities without wrecking too much of the game.

I disagree that mounts make many designs obsolete. In fact, I’d say this is completely wrong. Character power progression is critical to RPG’s. Start out weak, then become more powerful, able to do things that you couldn’t before. Obtaining a mount that allows players to do certain things easier is, in itself, a part of that experience. The biggest reason I quit WoW is because Blizzard all of a sudden tried to remove the power my characters gained (flying mounts fiasco) to force me down their path. If Anet does the dame with GW2, I don’t see myself staying.

Besides, nothing is preventing players from experiencing things without mounts. When I approach a new jumping puzzle, I like to try it without mounts because I think it’s fun figuring things out the way they were originally designed. This is coming from a player who normaly despises jumping games. However, if something is too frustrating, I love that I can simply skip that part by using my mount. Of course, some jumping puzzles can’t be “cheated” with mounts. I think that’s great that some can’t be cheated. It makes the ones that can’t be cheated special because they have to done with proper skill. But it also makes the cheatable ones special since I can enjoy these in ways I like.

Also, since I just started, I never experienced how the game was like without mounts. I’m considering creating a character and playing from scratch through Core and HoT without any mounts, just to experience it the old way. Will I enjoy it? Probably not. So far, I don’t enjoy this game without mounts. But I have a choice to try it. And if I’m not liking playing without mounts and decide to ditch my plan, I can always just mount up and continue.

I love the CHOICE I have to play the way I want, instead of being forced fed something I don’t like. Every game already has tons of restrictions. It doesn’t hurt to give players more freedom when it is OK to do so. Me skipping some jumping puzzle to access a Vista or Mastery doesn’t hurt the game. It only makes it more enjoyable for me when I can choose the fun method for myself when I can.

While I don't like it that the game has regressed towards 'mount - go there - dismount - do whatever - rinse - repeat' for most players, I share the sentiment to let players do what they want to do. If rushing through a quite beautiful world to finish their daily farm routines is what makes them happy, let them have it.

Me, I prefer walking everywhere. Rushing myself while trying to have fun feels kind of unfunny.

Oh, I forgot to send my post earlier.

It's all in the map design. You can still creatively limit the ways mounts "break" the intended movement over a path. Ironically (because I loathe the map) Kourna kind of gave me the impression that the northern parts did this really well. Traversing the cliffs felt like an actual rock climb, a journey. Something very few parts of PoF managed to achieve (most notably the far eastern parts of the Desolation).

Having areas like the labs on Sandswept Isles would also work beautifully. Maybe you can even explain it with a "lore" reason by saying "Mounts are not allowed in this city", like in Amnoon but actually enforced.

The big deal is: They can't assume people will have PoF. Just like they didn't go around adding updrafts to PoF areas. Mount rentals could do the trick, but even then you aren't able to fully make use of the mounts without masteries and sometimes you'd have to switch them. There's no doubt in my mind that we will either see a drastically different way of traversal (underwater with its own set of rules and boundaries or its very own mount) that replaces mounts or return to Core Tyria map design, which both sound very interesting to me. Core maps weren't bad, just a bit bland after the test of time. A new map following the same design principles could be very exciting.

What I would like to see is adding updrafts and obvious spots for mount use (just put a Jackal portal somewhere for example) to future maps. Leylines could reappear as well and it would still make sense, since ley energy isn't exclusive to HoT. Neither of them would be required to finish something, just add some nods back to previous content and people will thank you for it. Opens up a lot of fun ways to open up maps again.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> What I would like to see is adding updrafts and obvious spots for mount use (just put a Jackal portal somewhere for example) to future maps. Leylines could reappear as well and it would still make sense, since ley energy isn't exclusive to HoT. Neither of them would be required to finish something, just add some nods back to previous content and people will thank you for it. Opens up a lot of fun ways to open up maps again.

I would really like to see something similar, which would not hurt players who do not own HoT / PoF, but nod to the loyal playerbase that owns them

One of the reasons I finally quit WoW was because they began gating flying, something I had been able to do since the very 1st expansion, behind stupid achievements and map completion stuff. Don't gate things that have already been earned previously.

Having mounts already in the game, and usable everywhere, should jolt content creators into creating content designed for said mounts. Gating the use of something people have already earned just makes them look like they have a limited imagination.

I disagree. I think the PoF maps were well-designed to showcase mounts, and mounts being as well-designed as they are made exploration everywhere else that much better! Sure, it goes faster and you can bypass some little puzzles that were designed for players on foot. But it's generally more enjoyable, in my opinion.

Maybe I'm weird, but I explore maps _on my mount_. In fact, not having mounts was a detriment to my distinctly platforming-incompetent self. I have map completions thanks to mounts, I've spent a lot more time on HoT maps because I have mounts. I couldn't get anywhere on the newer maps without them.

For all that you believe that mounts inhibit exploration, I've found they're a valuable tool that opens maps up to me. They make me want to explore more.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> Oh, I forgot to send my post earlier.

> What I would like to see is adding updrafts and obvious spots for mount use (just put a Jackal portal somewhere for example) to future maps. Leylines could reappear as well and it would still make sense, since ley energy isn't exclusive to HoT. Neither of them would be required to finish something, just add some nods back to previous content and people will thank you for it. Opens up a lot of fun ways to open up maps again.

This! You're very correct! That was extremely lacking in PoF, there should have been updrafts in HoT, they could have even added some in ways to expedite some masteries or use as shortcuts for those of us that have been sticking with the game. But then again, if you've been with this game for a while, you should know better than to expect them to be appreciative towards older players in their games.

It took a massive upheaval from the veteran community for them to give a begrudged character slot, to pre-orders of HoT only, for players who bought the core game.

This is also extremely concerning because of the beetle... I mean the map it released in had, what, 3 places where you can use it's mechanic of bashing walls? And that's the release map, imagine the future ones, it was pretty much released as obsolete.

This request seems a bit heavy handed. We know nothing of the next expac, it's map design, or potential new masteries for it. For all we know they've got a plan to make mounts useful but not trivializing, or for making mounts less optimal a choice. Maybe not. But we just don't know.

> @"ReaverKane.7598" said:

> This is also extremely concerning because of the beetle... I mean the map it released in had, what, 3 places where you can use it's mechanic of bashing walls? And that's the release map, imagine the future ones, it was pretty much released as obsolete.

And what's this about beetle being obsolete? Is FUN obsolete? :D