Gift of Battle / Gift of Exploration: A petition.

I'm all for an alternative.

I am more interested in trying and hopefully finally enjoying WvW once the alliances and all those neat sounding changes have been implemented into the game.

But I'm always going to be a PvE player and I am never going to fully understand the other game modes nor play them seriously like their dedicated fans are.

In other words.. i'm always going to be less useful/capable and less informed than someone who genuinely loves those game modes.

That's a simple truth i'm more than willing to accept.

I can fully understand WvW players and PvP players being annoyed by me and others like me when we, to put it bluntly invade their gamemode for our own selfish reasons and then proceed to occasionally annoy them in the chat as well.

Making the 2 gifts tradable on the TP could be an option.. although I'd say it certainly favors the PvE players more since I'd bet there are way more unwanted gifts of battle out there than unwanted gifts of exploration thus leading to a large difference in their trading post pricing.

If I had to suggest something i'd probably go with simply adding a new NPC to the game that exchanges a Gift of Exploration for a Gift of Battle and vice versa.

Considering you get 2 Gifts per world completion it would't diminish anything from either game modes.

PvE only characters could make one legend per world completed character while WvW only players gain a way to obtain both gifts

Players who are active in both game modes get the added benefit of being able to craft 2 legends per world completed character should they wish or simply a faster way of obtaining Gifts of Exploration.

That's the best and most simple solution I can come up with.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Edgy McEdgelord.4790" said:

> correct me if im wrong but isnt the gift of battle purchaseable from mayani at the mystic toilet for like 200 spirit shards?

You are wrong :)

Mayani doesnt sell it!

It used to be available for purchase in WvW for 200 battle tokens however.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> It's a good way to get people out of their comfort zone for a few days and try out new things, I like it.

Only issue with that mentality is those who have already gotten a GoB and know they dont like WvW but are forced to do it if they want another legendary, or people who have done wvw before and dont like it, or those who dont like PVP kind of content whatsoever(myself).

I still think its fine, just glad we dont have to explore WvW anymore but i wish we could still buy them,

> @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> Map completions are the worst part of making legendaries. The only reason I am still missing many, cannot be bothered to do them

But how can it be "the only reason" when GoE isn't even a necessary requirement for getting these legendaries?

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > Map completions are the worst part of making legendaries. The only reason I am still missing many, cannot be bothered to do them

> But how can it be "the only reason" when GoE isn't even a necessary requirement for getting these legendaries?

It...is? you need a gift of exploration for all first generation legendaries.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > @"Malediktus.9250" said:

> > > Map completions are the worst part of making legendaries. The only reason I am still missing many, cannot be bothered to do them

> > But how can it be "the only reason" when GoE isn't even a necessary requirement for getting these legendaries?

>

> It...is? you need a gift of exploration for all first generation legendaries.

You need it if you want to craft one but you don't need to craft one in order to get one. Everything else only requires GoB (except for raid / sPvP armor which requires neither) meaning you can get every legendary in the game without ever having to deal with GoE.

i voted for the pve option as i am a pve player. My suggestion though would be to change both gifts. I would love to see the "reward track" carried over into pve, where completing events would grant you a certain amount of reward track experience. It would still take maybe 5-8 hours of grinding events to get the gift. Likewise, WvW could obtain the gifts of exploration via reward tracks - sure, they don't actually explore the world but they wouldn't receive the badge next to their name or the title, they would just be awarded the gift.

> @"Haishao.6851" said:

> Forcing people into that cesspit would be a good way to lose players.

> At least in WvW we don't have to interact with any of them.

>

First of all it isn't a cesspit. Secondly, sure the veteran players can be snotty and rude but I have seen many new players lately on my server and many tags running training raids in EBG and the Borderlands maps. You call it a cesspool which indicates you are already carrying a negative mind about it. The GoB is far easier to earn than the Gift of Exploration and the Legendary Insights. Legendaries are called legendary because you are suppose to be a legend of all game modes. In most games there is no segregation between WvW and sPVP. It is actually easier for the PVE players to earn the GoB in WvW over sPVP with how things are structured.

Like others have said, you are NOT forced to earn a GOB in WvW... you are CHOOSING to craft a legendary weapon. This means you have to accept that the game expects you to demonstrate your skills/dedication/desire by completing tasks in various game modes. This means when you zone into a WvW map next time, try to remember they are humans to and many are willing to party with you and teach you whatever you want to know. But jumping in and joining a commander, who is willing to teach you, and you replying "oh, I am just here for the GoB, I don't need Discord," is really not a nice way to introduce yourself and it shows a great deal of disrespect to the WvW community. Get on Discord, don't talk, just listen and remember, respect goes both ways.

I like the way it is. Legendary are the ultimate we can get in the game, and as such, not meant to be something "easy". It is supposed to be a "reward" after long time and efforts spent in the game. It is also supposed to be something "exceptional" that not all players are able to get. Otherwise, it is no more a legendary: It is an exotic or an ascended.

I was myself a very long time a PvE player only. To get the gift of exploration, I had to do world completion at time WvW areas were still part of it and we had no mounts. That was by far a bigger challenge than what it is now. In comparison, world completion is nowadays a piece of cake, just a bit time consuming. As for the gift of battle, I had to force myself to WvW (I hated it back in those times), and since I was doing it little only, it took me ages until I completed the track. But to my eyes, all this work was part of the effort required to deserve the legendary weapon I wanted (Kudzu in that case). I also had to level up all my crafters to max level. I will not tell you how long I needed (I am still ashamed at that :3 ), but when I finally got it the Kudzu, it was so magic!

Don't misunderstand me: I don't mean that because I had it hard, all should have it hard. What I mean is: We talk about LEGENDARY stuff. It's not meant to be reachable for all. It's meant to be very hard to get and reachable only for those who are ready to invest the required effort, that includes doing things we don't like.

Also, don't forget that ascended items have same stats than legendary items. The two are equivalent in term of performances. If players do not feel like going through the hassle of doing legendary, they can do ascended instead. So yes, they lose on the appearance side (no visual effects), but they are in no way penalized in term of performances.

And if legendary would need less efforts, then Anet would need to create another "out of reach" item so that something does exist that is THE ultimate to do/get. Because the game needs to have something like that. All this being my very personal opinion of course. :)

I'm a very casual PvE player and it's because of a reason. I'm become more aggressive when I play PvP and I don't like myself that way. I want to help another players not kill them! I usually just do the Big Spender, and when I'm near to deplete my tokens for do it I force myself to go and fight in WvW to get some more and leave the place as soon as possible.

So, my 5 cents are for to change the system for example with a crazy, time gated, expensive Mystic Forge recipe, when you can craft two GoE to one GoB or vice versa.

I'm mainly PvP player. If the remove hearts from map completion and add GoB into PvP track, I would ~~live in a dream~~ get even more lazy in this game, lol

I done world completion during offseasons and what i was doing is easy WvW dailies like Big Spender, cap a camp. I still do them to stock another couple of GoB so I won't be need to go WvW ever again.

I literally got 10 gifts of battle in my bank (used 4 for the gift of conquering). I’m no pure WvW player but the reward track does not take that long. It’s just you and others being impatient to get it and get the hell out of the mists. It literally takes a few evenings.

Gift of exploration, even if you like PvE is annoying though lol.

I'm happy with the pve side of things as the whole wvw side can literally be done doing 3 dailies alone over the course of the legendary journey.. Those who want to rush it.. well there's ups and downs naturally.

So keeping pve side is fine.. BUT

For a WvWer.. having to go into PvE for WC .. takes longer, and much more effort (One could say unbalanced in comparison of the two) .. So tbh I'd like to see that changed for the wvwers so its abit.. easier or better.. generally less annoying than it is currently.