The Flames of Kryta

This object has been sitting in my bank for a very long time. I used it a couple of times in dark corners of LA, but otherwise it collected dust and I'd honestly forgot where I'd gotten it from until today. I looked it up, because I had it, but my fiance didn't even though he remembers running the Queens Jubilee event that gave it.

So, my question now that this toy chest is out and Flames of Kryta is listed there;

Will those that don't have Flames Of Kryta or didn't get it before have the opportunity to get it again?

If I remember correctly it originally came from a weird mini-game where you had to run around Divinity's Reach lighting torches, which might be why you have it and your fiance doesn't. I was sure it was available again during the Festival of the Four Winds, but looking at the Wiki I can't see it so I must be remembering wrong.

I definitely think they should bring it back now we've got the wardrobe tab for novelties. If nothing else some people will want to fill in as many spaces as they possibly can. But also it's one of the items which made me really glad we had this because although it only comes in useful rarely there have been times when I really wished I had it and of course it was stuck in my bank because unless I know I'm going to Obsidian Sanctum on an alt without a torch I never think to bring it. Now I'll have it whenever I want it, and other people should have that opportunity too.

That would certainly be appreciated. Stupid as it may sound, one of the factors in my class decisions has been how easily they can illuminate dark areas. Though there are weapon choices for every class, some aren't necessarily all that convenient; I don't like having to equip a torch on my berserker-statted Ranger, for example. Having another chance at the Flames of Kryta would be fantastic.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> If I remember correctly it originally came from a weird mini-game where you had to run around Divinity's Reach lighting torches, which might be why you have it and your fiance doesn't. I was sure it was available again during the Festival of the Four Winds, but looking at the Wiki I can't see it so I must be remembering wrong.

>

> I definitely think they should bring it back now we've got the wardrobe tab for novelties. If nothing else some people will want to fill in as many spaces as they possibly can. But also it's one of the items which made me really glad we had this because although it only comes in useful rarely there have been times when I really wished I had it and of course it was stuck in my bank because unless I know I'm going to Obsidian Sanctum on an alt without a torch I never think to bring it. Now I'll have it whenever I want it, and other people should have that opportunity too.

It was part of the Queen Jennahs Jubilee, and yes it should absolutely be brought back the next time and everytime after the event is ran next year.

> @"Toolbox.9375" said:

> That would certainly be appreciated. Stupid as it may sound, one of the factors in my class decisions has been how easily they can illuminate dark areas. Though there are weapon choices for every class, some aren't necessarily all that convenient; I don't like having to equip a torch on my berserker-statted Ranger, for example. Having another chance at the Flames of Kryta would be fantastic.

If you have the Fiery Dragon Sword sword skin unlocked in the GW1->2 Hall of Monuments, buy a cheap-and-nasty basic sword from any weapon merchant and stick the skin on it (free application!). It illuminates around you even when it's stowed. The aggressively visible appearance makes it hard to miss that you're still carrying it - your character has a yard of flame hanging from one hip.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> Does it light up dark areas? I tried it a few years back in the dark part of Weyandt’s Revenge and was disappointed that it didn’t light up at all. After that I stuck it in a mule’s inventory and it’s sat there until this update.

I think that section of the jump puzzle is intentionally like that, seems the vest way through that area is a ground target skill to try and find the right spot to jump to

> @"preacher.9370" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > Does it light up dark areas? I tried it a few years back in the dark part of Weyandt’s Revenge and was disappointed that it didn’t light up at all. After that I stuck it in a mule’s inventory and it’s sat there until this update.

>

> I think that section of the jump puzzle is intentionally like that, seems the vest way through that area is a ground target skill to try and find the right spot to jump to

The best way, if you're patient in the big jumpy dark room, is to jump when Weyandt lights the place up. If you're in a hurry and want to get the JP achievement point, use a staff Daredevil because you can use Vault to ground target (therefore see where you're going) and actually jump to the targeted area. (Other classes have ground-target leap skills, of course, but Vault is spammable while the others have longish cooldowns.)

> Does it light up dark areas? I tried it a few years back in the dark part of Weyandt’s Revenge and was disappointed that it didn’t light up at all. After that I stuck it in a mule’s inventory and it’s sat there until this update.

No, it didnt, but it worked well in the skritt cavern vista on the NW of LA before mounts and more hanging torches were added to the area.

The trick for the dark room of the pirate JP was turning your lighting settings all the way up, but they fixed that :)

I remember it working as a proper torch in that spot. Though I could be misremembering since I figured out a better way to cheese that section

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > If I remember correctly it originally came from a weird mini-game where you had to run around Divinity's Reach lighting torches, which might be why you have it and your fiance doesn't. I was sure it was available again during the Festival of the Four Winds, but looking at the Wiki I can't see it so I must be remembering wrong.

> >

> > I definitely think they should bring it back now we've got the wardrobe tab for novelties. If nothing else some people will want to fill in as many spaces as they possibly can. But also it's one of the items which made me really glad we had this because although it only comes in useful rarely there have been times when I really wished I had it and of course it was stuck in my bank because unless I know I'm going to Obsidian Sanctum on an alt without a torch I never think to bring it. Now I'll have it whenever I want it, and other people should have that opportunity too.

>

> It was part of the Queen Jennahs Jubilee, and yes it should absolutely be brought back the next time and everytime after the event is ran next year.

I guess wants it just needs to wait another 50 years ... >_>

> @"HazyDaisy.4107" said:

> > Does it light up dark areas? I tried it a few years back in the dark part of Weyandt’s Revenge and was disappointed that it didn’t light up at all. After that I stuck it in a mule’s inventory and it’s sat there until this update.

>

> No, it didnt, but it worked well in the skritt cavern vista on the NW of LA before mounts and more hanging torches were added to the area.

>

> The trick for the dark room of the pirate JP was turning your lighting settings all the way up, but they fixed that :)

or just set your ground target setting to normal and activate a ground targetted skill. One with the biggest radius you have available

> @"preacher.9370" said:

>

> I think that section of the jump puzzle is intentionally like that, seems the vest way through that area is a ground target skill to try and find the right spot to jump to

>

A good portion of the jp is lightless now, at least on my computer. The maze where you first encounter the ghost is pitch black and the area past the false walls is pitch black plus the whole tunnel area with the spikes that come out of the walls. Certainly makes it more of a challenge. I’ve been using an aoe skill to find my way but I’ll try the torch to see if it works.

> > @"preacher.9370" said:

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > Does it light up dark areas? I tried it a few years back in the dark part of Weyandt’s Revenge and was disappointed that it didn’t light up at all. After that I stuck it in a mule’s inventory and it’s sat there until this update.

> >

> > I think that section of the jump puzzle is intentionally like that, seems the vest way through that area is a ground target skill to try and find the right spot to jump to

> >

>

> A good portion of the jp is lightless now, at least on my computer. The maze where you first encounter the ghost is pitch black and the area past the false walls is pitch black plus the whole tunnel area with the spikes that come out of the walls. Certainly makes it more of a challenge. I’ve been using an aoe skill to find my way but I’ll try the torch to see if it works.

i dont think the FDS works in that JP anymore either, i ran through it a few weeks(might have been a few months at max) with a character that was had both a torch, the FDS and the mad kings backpack and it was still pitch black.

It might depend on your graphics settings, but the lighting in Sharkmaw is the same as I always remember it for me, and the Flames of Kryta does illuminate the dark room:

![](https://i.imgur.com/tCx1573h.jpg "")

Top left: the tunnel just past the first 2 false walls, top right: the tunnel with all the spikes, bottom left: the dark room without Flames of Kryta (chaos gloves, which illuminate nothing, Weaver's sword and pearl conch) and then with the Flames of Kryta equipped. It won't light up the whole room but it's enough to see the platform you're on and where the next one is.

Other options work too of course, but I like that this one isn't dependant on your profession or what weapons you happen to be carrying or what skins you're using. It may be a back-up option but it's one I'll always have with me now, and it would be good if other people had the same option.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> If I remember correctly it originally came from a weird mini-game where you had to run around Divinity's Reach lighting torches

Yes. Basically a race on foot that you needed to finish within the time limit to be rewarded this item.

I'm sad I missed it, I hope they will bring it back like they did with the Festival of the Four Winds.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> i dont think the FDS works in that JP anymore either, i ran through it a few weeks(might have been a few months at max) with a character that was had both a torch, the FDS and the mad kings backpack and it was still pitch black.

I did it yesterday (when it was the daily JP), and it worked just fine. I bought the cheapest, carppiest sword/torch combo I could find quickly, stuck the FDS skin on the sword and went in there. With my weapons stowed, the sword illuminated the area around me (but the wiki says that other players can't see the illumination), and with them out, both weapons provided light, and the total was brighter.

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > i dont think the FDS works in that JP anymore either, i ran through it a few weeks(might have been a few months at max) with a character that was had both a torch, the FDS and the mad kings backpack and it was still pitch black.

>

> I did it yesterday (when it was the daily JP), and it worked just fine. I bought the cheapest, carppiest sword/torch combo I could find quickly, stuck the FDS skin on the sword and went in there. With my weapons stowed, the sword illuminated the area around me (but the wiki says that other players can't see the illumination), and with them out, both weapons provided light, and the total was brighter.

Thats odd honestly, for me it didnt function, and i know that the lighting effects work in other puzzles.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > i dont think the FDS works in that JP anymore either, i ran through it a few weeks(might have been a few months at max) with a character that was had both a torch, the FDS and the mad kings backpack and it was still pitch black.

> >

> > I did it yesterday (when it was the daily JP), and it worked just fine. I bought the cheapest, carppiest sword/torch combo I could find quickly, stuck the FDS skin on the sword and went in there. With my weapons stowed, the sword illuminated the area around me (but the wiki says that other players can't see the illumination), and with them out, both weapons provided light, and the total was brighter.

>

> Thats odd honestly, for me it didnt function, and i know that the lighting effects work in other puzzles.

Could it be something to do with your graphics settings? I know some lighting effects are affected by post-processing, and of course the ambient occlusion setting. I'm not sure what else might affect it, but maybe if you play around with changing them you'll be able to get the glow back?

> @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > i dont think the FDS works in that JP anymore either, i ran through it a few weeks(might have been a few months at max) with a character that was had both a torch, the FDS and the mad kings backpack and it was still pitch black.

>

> I did it yesterday (when it was the daily JP), and it worked just fine.

Indeed. The Mad King's flamey back items alone are enough to light a whole area.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Steve The Cynic.3217" said:

> > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > i dont think the FDS works in that JP anymore either, i ran through it a few weeks(might have been a few months at max) with a character that was had both a torch, the FDS and the mad kings backpack and it was still pitch black.

> >

> > I did it yesterday (when it was the daily JP), and it worked just fine.

>

> Indeed. The Mad King's flamey back items alone are enough to light a whole area.

I personally think we should add a new category of items: "Flamey Back Items." Love it! :)