The obstacle preventing me from returning to GW2 - Living Story

juhna.4980

I apologize if this isn't the right forum for this but I didn't see anywhere else to post general feedback...

So GW2 is perhaps my most played game. I love it, obviously. I've been away a while and after running into the GW2 booth at PAX a few weeks ago I really got the itch to return. But I'm not going to this time and here's why - the gated Living Story.

Having been gone a while I'm now expected to pay to play past LS. Sure I could have logged in each release but I didn't. I don't like having the main story held hostage like this. I've taken other breaks over the years and bought the LS I've missed. But not this time. I just wanted to let ArenaNet know that I'd like to come back but this is the roadblock that's preventing me.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"juhna.4980" said:

> I apologize if this isn't the right forum for this but I didn't see anywhere else to post general feedback...

> So GW2 is perhaps my most played game. I love it, obviously. I've been away a while and after running into the GW2 booth at PAX a few weeks ago I really got the itch to return. But I'm not going to this time and here's why - the gated Living Story.

> Having been gone a while I'm now expected to pay to play past LS. Sure I could have logged in each release but I didn't. I don't like having the main story held hostage like this. I've taken other breaks over the years and bought the LS I've missed. But not this time. I just wanted to let ArenaNet know that I'd like to come back but this is the roadblock that's preventing me.

you could cheapen the price by farming some gold and converting them to gems.

There is no subscription fee to Guild Wars 2 and you only have to purchase Expansions when they come out and any LW episodes you didn't log in for. If you just log in even as infrequent as every couple months, you'll Never have to pay anything except like $30 for the expansions when they come out every few years. If you miss a LW episode's release time then you'll have to pay for it, but that's the cost of having a free-to-play, non-monthly subscription mmorpg. And like @"derd.6413" and @"yoni.7015" said, if you have enough gold, you can convert it to gems and pay for an episode that way instead of real life cash.

There are a lot of benefits here, and I'd rather have it stay this way by optionally paying for any gemstore items I fancy to support the game, instead of being Forced to pay to play any new content that comes out.

> @"derd.6413" said:

> > @"juhna.4980" said:

> > I apologize if this isn't the right forum for this but I didn't see anywhere else to post general feedback...

> > So GW2 is perhaps my most played game. I love it, obviously. I've been away a while and after running into the GW2 booth at PAX a few weeks ago I really got the itch to return. But I'm not going to this time and here's why - the gated Living Story.

> > Having been gone a while I'm now expected to pay to play past LS. Sure I could have logged in each release but I didn't. I don't like having the main story held hostage like this. I've taken other breaks over the years and bought the LS I've missed. But not this time. I just wanted to let ArenaNet know that I'd like to come back but this is the roadblock that's preventing me.

>

> you could cheapen the price by farming some gold and converting them to gems.

I could, and I appreciate the comment. I actually have a fair amount of gold still. Probably enough to buy the LS I've missed. But I'd rather spend it on optional things. I guess my rub is that I feel like story shouldn't be something I have to buy. In addition to the expansions, know what I mean? I've always spent money on tools and cosmetics.

> @"juhna.4980" said:

> Do not misunderstand. I have spent many times the base cost of this game over the years. I want to spend that money on what I want. Not on the story.

I'm confused.... whats stopping you from simply picking up in the current story arc, and skipping over the previous ones? There even an NPC in Lion's arch who's sole purpose is to play recap videos of previous seasons. Its not like some Netflix series you binge in one sitting because of a convoluted, interwoven plot with more internal references then Homestuck...... its your basic, run of the mill, "This is the bad guy, we eventually killed him. Oh and by the way, theres a Dragon here too". And if the story is that important, there are hundreds of play-through videos on youtube that blow through the story missions to get you up to speed.

The only thing you really end up missing out on is the map specific rewards.... and those have nothing to do with the story.

Would it help if they called it DLC?

Most people are familiar with the idea of DLC packs being added to games over time, and that they will cost extra even for existing players who bought the game before they were released. The only difference here is the name. Of course not everyone wants every DLC pack (and they don't need to buy them all) but I've never seen someone complain about having to buy it in addition to the base game.

Alternatively would it help if _everyone_ had to buy it, instead of some people getting it free because they logged in during the release period?

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> Alternatively would it help if _everyone_ had to buy it, instead of some people getting it free because they logged in during the release period?

No, that'd drive away people who casually play the game if suddenly they couldn't progress through the newly developed story anymore because they hit a paywall. Only people who've already invested so much into the game would be willing, if somewhat begrudgingly so, to do that. It'd cut away a Significant amount of players from the game and most probably be a bigger cost than gain.

(btw, didn't know if you were asking the question seriously or rhetorically but I thought I'd give it a try)

> @"juhna.4980" said:

> Do not misunderstand. I have spent many times the base cost of this game over the years. I want to spend that money on what I want. Not on the story.

I completely understand where you're coming from.

I personally think the expansion should actually include the LS seasons rather than just be required to play it.

You're living proof that this kind of nickel and dime stuff is discouraging for return players.

In the current system of you want to play through the story you effectively need to pay twice. Once for the expansion and once for each episode.

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"juhna.4980" said:

> > Do not misunderstand. I have spent many times the base cost of this game over the years. I want to spend that money on what I want. Not on the story.

>

> I completely understand where you're coming from.

>

> I personally think the LS seasons should actually be _included_ in the expansion rather than just be required to play it.

>

> You're living proof that this kind of nickel and dime stuff is discouraging for return players.

>

> In the current system of you want to play through the story you effectively need to pay twice. Once for the expansion and once for each episode.

GW2 is already an MMO that doesn't have a subscription fee. On top of that, there is a system in place precisely so you can get the LW seasons for free if you're just playing the game. Period. I think that's completely fair. If you want to know what being 'nickel and dimed' to death actually feels like, try playing some of the mobile games currently out there.

> @"Okami Amaterasu.9237" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > Alternatively would it help if _everyone_ had to buy it, instead of some people getting it free because they logged in during the release period?

>

> No, that'd drive away people who casually play the game if suddenly they couldn't progress through the newly developed story anymore because they hit a paywall. Only people who've already invested so much into the game would be willing, if somewhat begrudgingly so, to do that. It'd cut away a Significant amount of players from the game and most probably be a bigger cost than gain.

>

> (btw, didn't know if you were asking the question seriously or rhetorically but I thought I'd give it a try)

I'm not suggesting it's a good idea, I'm just trying to understand what about the current model puts the OP off.

My questions are based on two interpretations I've seen before: one that it's the unfamiliarity of being asked to pay for 'the story' which puts people off - where re-branding it as DLC, something people are familiar with paying extra for (and which often does include storylines) makes it seem more familiar and acceptable. And one where the issue isn't so much having to pay or the cost but knowing you're paying for something other people have gotten for free - some people feel that's penalising those who take long breaks or get the game later on.

Of course the OP's issue may be something else entirely. And if so I'm hoping they'll elaborate on why paying for additional content is so objectionable when clearly paying for other addons is not.

> @"Torzini.1523" said:

> > @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > > @"juhna.4980" said:

> > > Do not misunderstand. I have spent many times the base cost of this game over the years. I want to spend that money on what I want. Not on the story.

> >

> > I completely understand where you're coming from.

> >

> > I personally think the LS seasons should actually be _included_ in the expansion rather than just be required to play it.

> >

> > You're living proof that this kind of nickel and dime stuff is discouraging for return players.

> >

> > In the current system of you want to play through the story you effectively need to pay twice. Once for the expansion and once for each episode.

>

> GW2 is already an MMO that doesn't have a subscription fee. On top of that, there is a system in place precisely so you can get the LW seasons for free if you're just playing the game. I think that's completely fair. If you want to feel what being 'nickel and dimed' to death is actually like, try playing some of the mobile games currently out there.

Just because other games have worse practices doesn't make this a good one.

I'm a regular player, I log in pretty much daily, so I always unlock each new episode for free. However, if I were to take a break until the next expansion comes out then ArenaNet putting an additional pay barrier between me and the LS content just gives me another reason to not bother picking up the game again. I'll have to pay for the expansion and also the rest of LS4 and LS5.

I have no idea how much they make from LS sales but it's pretty much impossible to tell how many potential return customers have been put off by the ever increasing cost of unlocking the LS episodes.

You don't think you should have to pay for the STORY. Seriously? That's like going to the movie theater and complaining that you shouldn't have to pay for popcorn and a drink because you bought a ticket, or vice versa.

I do think it would be beneficial for Anet to add an OPTION to include the living world seasons, individually selected and added to the cart, when you buy one of the expansions. And when you activate the key on your account, if you've unlocked one of the episodes, you get refunded the price difference in gems in-game. For example, my SiL has HoT and unlocked only 3 Season 3 episodes (and has unlocked all Season 4 episodes), but doesn't have PoF. When she goes to buy PoF, she could add Season 3 to her purchase. Then when she activates the code on her account, it recognizes that she has 3 Season 3 episodes unlocked and refunds 430 gems (assuming 960 gem price for the complete season) to her in-game. Logically, it is very simple to do. Practically, implementation may be much more difficult, but that's why devs are paid the big bucks. :)

I do like the the addition of an option to buy missing chapters and they DO have sales every so often.

But it isn't like you have a week to login and get for free. It's MONTHS. We do have a couple friends who take long breaks and just before a chapter is released message them to make sure they log in before the date.

I can't with people that don't want to pay for the living story. They give it to you **for free** for a few **months** and you get to keep it indefinitely when you complete it. It only took me an hour and a half to get this current episode done. This MMO is the most generous one I have ever played when it comes to providing content. All they ask is that you play the game and you get rewarded for not having to pay for Living Seasons because you are playing the game. Oh but you're being nickel and dimed to death......ಠ_ಠ Really?

> @"miraude.2107" said:

> I can't with people that don't want to pay for the living story. They give it to you **for free** for a few **months** and you get to keep it indefinitely when you complete it. It only took me an hour and a half to get this current episode done. This MMO is the most generous one I have ever played when it comes to providing content. All they ask is that you play the game and you get rewarded for not having to pay for Living Seasons because you are playing the game. Oh but you're being nickel and dimed to death......ಠ_ಠ Really?

just fyi you dont have to complete it only login in will unlock it and store it on as low as a ftp account for when they upgrade to pof expansion.