World first

Tyson.5160

Do we need more incentive? Dhuum CM took the most and really it was just a matter of couple days of practice rather than figuring out stuff/very tight mechanics. I don't think Anet is really going to do "vertical" difficulty progression in a game with only horizontal progression, they seem so far to be only coming up with mechanics that are as unique as possible per boss. Consider that bosses like Sloth, Matthias and Sabetha are still troublesome to most groups yet completely farmable and proportional in difficulty, and first kills really don't seen that much impactful. That's not to say they have no merit at all, but I wouldn't give it a statue like I would to PvP tourney winners.

Basically, GW2 raids while very fun and reasonably challenging (though the challenge mostly comes from the group aspect - mechanics are pretty much OK) are not a **competitive** game mode at all. Again, having raid tournaments streamed is fun as kitten, but that's like having a Smash Bros competition - in the end you know you're stretching the game mode.

> @"thrag.9740" said:

> No, its not secret that gw2 has used elite pve guilds in the past to beta test raids. Information about them slips out pre-release, first kills are not necessarily taking place on an even playing field.

Thats not an issue, guilds that take part in testing can be excluded.

> @"Magnus Godrik.5841" said:

> No not really. Its a waste of resources and most and i do mean most of the population dont even care. I guess they will have bragging rights but then again who are they going to brag too that even cares.

Idk if most dont care. A raod release and the race do generate he most publicity for the game on twitch. Way more than the lw updates do.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"thrag.9740" said:

> > No, its not secret that gw2 has used elite pve guilds in the past to beta test raids. Information about them slips out pre-release, first kills are not necessarily taking place on an even playing field.

>

> Thats not an issue, guilds that take part in testing can be excluded.

I assumed that would be the case. As I said, information slips out. A competition for an in game prize needs to have real rules, and a fair playing field. Such a world first monument could never achieve such a standard, because world first happens within days (or hours) of release. Either EU or NA will have a large advantage based on release time, not to mention Tuesday release favors people who can take time off work rather than wait for the weekend. Of course there is no such thing as perfectly fair playing field. But, If world first was something that took at least 2 weeks, then we could say it was reasonably fair I think. GW2 isn't that type of game.

> @"Tyson.5160" said:

> I just figured that their accomplishments should be recognized.

People get really ... passionate about "first" claims and that makes it tricky to offer official acknowledgements, especially if there's an associated in-game benefit.

The problem is that ANet would have to be really specific about defining what counts. This isn't a tweet of congratulations, this is a lasting reminder of something that can only be done once. Do they count groups that figure out an unintended shortcut to skip mobs or cutscenes? How do they know whether some group got hints or downright suggestions from someone who was in the testing group? (And should that count, if ANet knew about it?)

We've seen any number of groups bend, spindle, fold, stretch, or otherwise distort any & all guidelines in order to win something. It ends up leaving a bad taste in everyone's mouth, sometimes especially from those who legit 'earned' accolades. The potential to tarnish the "statue" makes this lose-lose for ANet.

That's why the only leaderboards we have, even for dungeons, are fan-made sites that set up a community-agreed-upon set of rules.

I don't think GW2 raids are designed to be challenging enough for this to really matter. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised if there's a single raid boss that wasn't defeated within a day or two of release. This is by design, though. There are no tiered difficulties or time-gating via gear progression here. Naturally, unless the raid is tuned to be practically impossible to beat, somebody is going to conquer it pretty quickly and practically every other guild that raids seriously will follow shortly after. GW2 just isn't the sort of game for this type of competitive raiding.

I like the idea but the concerns are probably justified.

Having your characters name immortalized in the game is a fun feature and I'd sure like to have that in some way.

I'm not a raider though nor do I have much interest in PvP play so it would never happen for me lol

First player to solo a bounty or take down a difficult group event or boss alone.. that I could do, might even have done.. but it's hardly something anyone would notice lol

> @"thrag.9740" said:

> > @"zealex.9410" said:

> > > @"thrag.9740" said:

> > > No, its not secret that gw2 has used elite pve guilds in the past to beta test raids. Information about them slips out pre-release, first kills are not necessarily taking place on an even playing field.

> >

> > Thats not an issue, guilds that take part in testing can be excluded.

>

> I assumed that would be the case. As I said, information slips out. A competition for an in game prize needs to have real rules, and a fair playing field. Such a world first monument could never achieve such a standard, because world first happens within days (or hours) of release. Either EU or NA will have a large advantage based on release time, not to mention Tuesday release favors people who can take time off work rather than wait for the weekend. Of course there is no such thing as perfectly fair playing field. But, If world first was something that took at least 2 weeks, then we could say it was reasonably fair I think. GW2 isn't that type of game.

Arenanet used to say which guilds helped in the past and we had guilds like quantify willingly not take place on the race because they tested.

As for the time the release happens i dont see anything wrong with it if youncan compete you can if you cant tough luck. If a side of the world has so much more of an advantage they can then split it to na first and eu.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> As for the time the release happens i dont see anything wrong with it if youncan compete you can if you cant tough luck. If a side of the world has so much more of an advantage they can then split it to na first and eu.

But ANet didn't create a statue for whoever was first; it was bragging rights only. You've seen how testy people have gotten about various PvP _titles_, about the raid _titles_. Think of how cranky people will be if there's an actual in-game recognition, and there's any ambiguity about what's allowed.

If you want to be first, be first. Post about here & on Reddit. Accept the kudos due and then move on.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

>

> As for the time the release happens i dont see anything wrong with it if youncan compete you can if you cant tough luck. If a side of the world has so much more of an advantage they can then split it to na first and eu.

No thanks, I'd rather Anet's first ever in game competitive raid event not be a joke on par with Olympics being boycotted or the nfl all star game.

edit: I suppose you could technically consider that event Anet ben did with sabetha and quip to be an in game competitive raid event, but considering it was just announced on reddit, and had nothing in game indicating it, I'm not sure that counts.

> @"thrag.9740" said:

> I suppose you could technically consider that event Anet ben did with sabetha and quip to be an in game competitive raid event, but considering it was just announced on reddit, and had nothing in game indicating it, I'm not sure that counts.

Reminder: it was @"Chris Cleary.8017"'s personal challenge (although I'm sure ANet Ben loved it, too).

> 1000G (of my own gold) to the raid team that uploads a video (with audio) of a Sabetha kill with nothing but dual Quip thieves #forlols

It's not anything close to the sort of thing proposed by the OP and only related to the studio because the prize money came from an employee. In effect, it was a fan-sponsored event, with said fan happening to be a Professor of Bear Bow math who works at ArenaNet.

I'm sure u/P3RrYCH and the others were happy with the recognition, even if there was no statue to commemorate it.

I don't know if it's still a thing but raids used to be tested by independant guilds before they were released. Which mean that these guilds had the time to familiarize themselve with raid and find proper strategies way before other player even see the opening of the raids wings.

This monument thing would just end up being a monument to the memories of those raid testers... Nothing really appaeling to the player base since a minority among the minority would be greatly advantaged for this "reward".

Edit: In fact it could even be a bad thing to implement which could threaten the moral intergrity of any tester and raid developer. Vanity and greed are very dangerous things that are best not triggered needlessly.

> @"Deeyra.1476" said:

> > @"segman.3560" said:

> > Something tells me they have no tools to track world first.

> Efficiency can track items and you could track guild deco from a boss like that. Besides you really need to track a few guilds who plan to do it and have the brain to do it.

One thing you can tell about so called competitors is that they are loud. However I don't see why posting screenshots or twitch streams should be relevant in the matter. Most people will be watching them while it is not impossible for a quiet group to do real world first.

> @"segman.3560" said:

> > @"Deeyra.1476" said:

> > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > Something tells me they have no tools to track world first.

> > Efficiency can track items and you could track guild deco from a boss like that. Besides you really need to track a few guilds who plan to do it and have the brain to do it.

>

> One thing you can tell about so called competitors is that they are loud. However I don't see why posting screenshots or twitch streams should be relevant in the matter. Most people will be watching them while it is not impossible for a quiet group to do real world first.

Ye but lets be real and you will see there is no such group that aims for world first.

> @"Deeyra.1476" said:

> > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > @"Deeyra.1476" said:

> > > > @"segman.3560" said:

> > > > Something tells me they have no tools to track world first.

> > > Efficiency can track items and you could track guild deco from a boss like that. Besides you really need to track a few guilds who plan to do it and have the brain to do it.

> >

> > One thing you can tell about so called competitors is that they are loud. However I don't see why posting screenshots or twitch streams should be relevant in the matter. Most people will be watching them while it is not impossible for a quiet group to do real world first.

>

> Ye but lets be real and you will see there is no such group that aims for world first.

How do you know that?