Kung Fu Tea Promotion [Merged]

Gaile Gray.6029

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone give me a very clear breakdown of EXACTLY where the rewards show up? I go into Social rewards from the lines icon on the left top corner - I have Rewards/Activity/Profile options in there - when I go into rewards there is nothing there - am I doing it right and its just not processing it? It was the profile tab that i originally got the option to link to Instagram ( it was the only way i could get it to pop) The button for linking is switched on.

For the love of God please someone feeling generous give me a code i would be forever grateful( but will settle for a clarification on if its the app or im not looking in the right place.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Alga.6498" said:

> > I still cant get the app to work no matter which social media account I am trying to connect with! ?

> > If anyone has a code to spare if you had multiple codes, let me know please??

>

> Sent you a message! Dunno if you saw it or not!!

Ty for replying me :) but none of the codes are not working ?

> @"Rococo.8347" said:

> Can someone give me a very clear breakdown of EXACTLY where the rewards show up? I go into Social rewards from the lines icon on the left top corner - I have Rewards/Activity/Profile options in there - when I go into rewards there is nothing there - am I doing it right and its just not processing it? It was the profile tab that i originally got the option to link to Instagram ( it was the only way i could get it to pop) The button for linking is switched on.

>

> For the love of God please someone feeling generous give me a code i would be forever grateful( but will settle for a clarification on if its the app or im not looking in the right place.

It seems the app will get stuck in the following places:

1. Logging in

2. Connecting to FB/instagram

3. Showing you the Rewards after it has connected.

4. Clicking on the reward will then crash the app

5. The reward will get claimed and disappear but the message with the code won't show up (this is as far as I've gotten; no reward anymore, no code yet).

6. Opening the message itself? I think?

I have the "reward" tag (two days later), but all that does is bring up another "link your account" popup (which loads for about 12 minutes then crashes the app, regardless of what I choose to link). No "messages" as of yet. I understand reading the thread that this is SOP, so I'll not give up hope yet... but I am frustrated. I will be writing a strongly-worded letter to the app designers for their subpar-at-best work and poor representation of some random Chinese tea company I never cared about in the first place.

The only bright spot is that ArenaNet should have gotten a nice, big check for the brand deal, and it didn't come out of my/our pockets. I call that a net gain. (ANet gain?)

Update: After several hours of concentrated spamming, I have finally logged in with Facebook. Now every time I click the "claim reward" button, instead of trying to log in and crashing, it just goes straight to the crash.

Update 2: The next day. The promotion is no longer available and I received no message. Great.

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> Hey there,

>

> We are aware of some concerns about the current promotion. We do understand your concerns and apologize for any inconvenience. I'll post with more information as soon as we have it.

Thanks Gaile. Yes, that is one of the odd things about it. Very few devs anywhere will do a major launch on a Friday and will only do it at the start of a long weekend with extensive testing or if you held a gun to their head.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > Hey there,

> >

> > We are aware of some concerns about the current promotion. We do understand your concerns and apologize for any inconvenience. I'll post with more information as soon as we have it.

>

> Thanks Gaile. Yes, that is one of the odd things about it. Very few devs anywhere will do a major launch on a Friday and will only do it at the start of a long weekend with extensive testing or if you held a gun to their head.

I actually edited my comment about the holiday weekend because I wasn't sure of the launch date. Your points are valid, though, and I'll share them with the team. Thanks!

> @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > @"Menadena.7482" said:

> > > @"Gaile Gray.6029" said:

> > > Hey there,

> > >

> > > We are aware of some concerns about the current promotion. We do understand your concerns and apologize for any inconvenience. I'll post with more information as soon as we have it.

> >

> > Thanks Gaile. Yes, that is one of the odd things about it. Very few devs anywhere will do a major launch on a Friday and will only do it at the start of a long weekend with extensive testing or if you held a gun to their head.

>

> I actually edited my comment about the holiday weekend because I wasn't sure of the launch date. Your points are valid, though, and I'll share them with the team. Thanks!

Thanks! It might point to someone setting the schedule based on something arbitrary (the 1st of the month) but whatever tech people involved were probably recommending launch be moved.

BTW, ironically I just noticed something in my own post just as I saw your reply but it was to late to edit a fix. Hopefully you read the 'if you held a gun to their head' as a generic person over the tech and I was not blaming you personally!

> @"Rococo.8347" said:

> Oh Gooooooooooooooooooooooood, I now have a completely different name in 'activity' for my account ( and a qquick Google search brought him up as a MMO player - at this point peoples accounts are not even staying separate!

"Activity" does not mean YOUR activity. I have 10 posts from 10 different people holding a drink in there. I suppose it gathers posts with the appropriate hashtags and makes them available to see in the app.

The ten pictures of happy tea drinkers are the only entries I have though, I neither have any GW2 promotion under "Rewards" nor any messages, and yes, I did refresh the "rewards" part of "Social rewards" about a hundred times already and my Facebook account has been linked for more than a day now (after another day of constantly retrying because of "Something went wrong")......

> @"Menadena.7482" said:

> BTW, ironically I just noticed something in my own post just as I saw your reply but it was to late to edit a fix. Hopefully you read the 'if you held a gun to their head' as a generic person over the tech and I was not blaming you personally!

For what it's worth, I took that to mean, "sensible devs push back against launching an insufficiently-tested promotion during a holiday weekend because they'd very much like to have a holiday."

My Facebook account is locked because of “suspicious activity” and now I have the joy of trying to reclaim it. I actually managed to log in using Instagram for all the good that did. No rewards showed even after hours had passed.

I wonder... will ANet give out a free account and outfit to anyone who doesn’t manage to get this buggy app to work? Because I think they should.

Well looks like they disabled the promo.

Kung Fu Tea

18 tim ·

Thank you for all the enthusiastic GW2 fans and your support for our promotion. We are very sorry for the inconvenience that occurred while claiming the DLC codes via our app.

Our developers are working hard during the Labor Day weekend to fight against the hackers. Your patience and understanding is greatly appreciated while we are trying our best to resolve the issue.

We will make sure that you guys get the DLC codes anyway. We will have another update for you guys tomorrow!

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> Well looks like they disabled the promo.

>

> Kung Fu Tea

> 18 tim ·

>

> Thank you for all the enthusiastic GW2 fans and your support for our promotion. We are very sorry for the inconvenience that occurred while claiming the DLC codes via our app.

> Our developers are working hard during the Labor Day weekend to fight against the hackers. Your patience and understanding is greatly appreciated while we are trying our best to resolve the issue.

> We will make sure that you guys get the DLC codes anyway. We will have another update for you guys tomorrow!

That doesn't say they've disabled anything, though. It just acknowledges that there are major issues and that they'll make sure people still get their codes.

I feel bad for the devs and especially for Gaile. The average dev who works on the combat system or new armor skins or the LS plot, for example, likely has zero say or control over when things like this are done or even whether they're done at all. Yes, things did not go as planned. It would've been great if everyone (or, at this point, even "most people") had been able to easily log into the app, link a social media account, and get the code. But that's not what happened. Yes, it's frustrating to spend a lot of time trying to get the app to work. But at the end of the day, it's just pixels, and it's a fairly minor inconvenience if it's not working or if people have to unlock their social media accounts due to "suspicious activity."

ANet is well aware that it's not working, and I'd wager they're well aware of exactly what went wrong at every point. What's done is done, and now I think it might be helpful for us, as the player base, to sort of chill out a bit, and realize that our feedback has been noted, and now the ball is in ANet's court to decide how to proceed. They're not a perfect company, ofc, but I think they know better than to just let something like this simmer. When the holiday is over, I'm sure they'll come back with some sort of work-around or extension or way to resolve this.

And as a side note, I hope GW2 people stop leaving 1-star reviews on Kung Fu Tea's FB page. Yes, this whole thing is annoying, but if I'm looking up reviews for a restaurant or food place, I'd like to be able to trust that the reviews are good or bad based on things like the quality of the food, not how angry some gamers got because an app didn't work and they couldn't obtain codes for pixels on a screen.

As with a lot of what we have seen from the Anet marketing team in the past, the idea seems sound on paper, but the execution wasn't really thought out.

Anyone experienced in this kind of marketing communication will tell you that the first thing you do with app-centric programs is make sure you have the bandwidth and support to handle the inevitable flood of new people looking for something free.

I like that Anet is exploring creative ways to monetize and support the game, but they really do need to think these things through more than they did with this - or with some of the other "cool stunts" they've tried to do in the past.