Allow players to choose what armor type they want to wear

bara yaoi.3824

what do people not understand about the post? there is esentially no difference between stats with armor based on whether or not they are light, medium or heavy - the difference is based on the prefix, level of it, etc.

players should be able to choose the type of armor they want to wear, meaning actual gear wise and for aesthetic purposes, because allowing every armor skin to be applied to any armor type would be impossible to do because players would want to mix and match but that is not feasible

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"bara yaoi.3824" said:

> what do people not understand about the post? there is esentially no difference between stats with armor based on whether or not they are light, medium or heavy - the difference is based on the prefix, level of it, etc.

>

> players should be able to choose the type of armor they want to wear, meaning actual gear wise and for aesthetic purposes, because allowing every armor skin to be applied to any armor type would be impossible to do because players would want to mix and match but that is not feasible

Making skins available to everyone regardless of armor-type sounds much more feasible then changing the armor type your class is supposed to wear.

Regardless -if we assume that your suggestion is about skins- I don't think Anet will ever make this change. One of the reasons people start new alts is to get different characters with different looks. That's why many people have a character of each armor type because people like the fashion aspect of the game and Anet wants people to run alts to spend more time playing.

> what do people not understand about the post? there is esentially no difference between stats with armor based on whether or not they are light, medium or heavy - the difference is based on the prefix, level of it, etc.

This is fundamentally wrong.

Should you be able to chose what to wear there would be no reason not to wear heavy armour since statistically it gives the best damage reduction. The difference between light and heavy armour at ascended level is equivalent to having a bonus 304 toughness. Its not "essentially no difference".

That's not true, they have different base values in regards to defence. You could however add an overlay option (similar to how outfits work) for armor skins so that wouldn't be much of a problem.

> @"otto.5684" said:

> I never really managed to understand why you cannot mix and match cosmetics as you please. So what if my guardian looks like he/she is wearing light armor? Or Mesmer in heavy armor.

It was originally done because of PvP. They wanted the silhouette of a character to be identifiable at range and for experienced players to estimate their opponent's build just by seeing them. It was intended to to work like a MOBA, and is also why weapons are the way they are.

> @"Healix.5819" said:

> > @"otto.5684" said:

> > I never really managed to understand why you cannot mix and match cosmetics as you please. So what if my guardian looks like he/she is wearing light armor? Or Mesmer in heavy armor.

>

> It was originally done because of PvP. They wanted the silhouette of a character to be identifiable at range and for experienced players to estimate their opponent's build just by seeing them. It was intended to to work like a MOBA, and is also why weapons are the way they are.

Well, we do have standard models in sPvP now.

I am leaning towards it being a technical limitation. Still, it should be something easy to overcome.

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > Well, this is exactly why outfits exists. Armor is heavily tied to the classes, they can't just switch it up.

>

> They can switch it up though.

They could do lots of things; the question is if it makes sense to do it. This suggestion, probably not. Anet has simply put too much work into maintaining the levels. No reason to throw that away now.

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > Well, this is exactly why outfits exists. Armor is heavily tied to the classes, they can't just switch it up.

>

> They can switch it up though.

No, they can't. I literally explained why. It's hardcoded into the classes.

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > Armor is heavily tied to the classes, they can't just switch it up.

> Armor itself yes because they have different stats, but not the skins.

>

Yeah, no. Again, armor is tied to class and we can assume it would cause issues if that was bypassed. There's a reason our characters are naked if we preview a different armor class. Again, outfits bypass this by creating normalized character models and is the reason we see new outfits regularly while not getting new armor skins every release. Besides that they've brought up that they want to give each armor tier its own distinct "outline", aka trenchcoats for a majority of medium armors. While I don't particularly like this design philosophy they don't seem to want to back down from it.

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > armor is tied to class

> Which doesn't matter if you use an overlay like I suggested. Just split outfits into: full body, light, medium and heavy. /done

It's not a "just." Outfits are a fourth fundamental weight of armor and don't exist as separate pieces, which is why they take less time to go from inception to release.

> I hate the way all of the medium armor looks; personally there is literally nothing appealing as a player that plays male characters.

There is: the Heritage armor set (especially the chest and arm pieces, the rest you can combine - my Ranger looks great <3 ). However, just _one_ option is indeed not much and there is a reason why most players complain about the medium armor sets.

Making weights selectable, however, cannot be the solution. Even in classic pen&paper RPGs, there are restrictions for a reason - because it would mess up classes if physically weak characters who deal high damage, like mages, could just armor up in heavy gear and basically become invincible (there are war mages, but they receive restrictions on what type of spells they can cast, and that's just not doable with GW2's computer game mechanics).

Anyway, being more flexible on selecting _skins_ from other weights, however, would be a nice addition to the game - unless the devs finally manage to produce some beautiful, classy medium armor sets for a change.

> @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > armor is tied to class

> > Which doesn't matter if you use an overlay like I suggested. Just split outfits into: full body, light, medium and heavy. /done

>

> O please you mighty coder! Go and teach them how to code and how easy it is **/done**.

This is not an issue of difficulty but workload. Something can be very easy yet still take up hundreds of hours of work.

Designing an outfit which is a complete set and has not to link to every other armor piece except for weapons is far less work intensive than individual armor pieces.

Now multiply this with years of sticking to a system and the amount of work required grows even more.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > armor is tied to class

> > > Which doesn't matter if you use an overlay like I suggested. Just split outfits into: full body, light, medium and heavy. /done

> >

> > O please you mighty coder! Go and teach them how to code and how easy it is **/done**.

>

> This is not an issue of difficulty but workload. Something can be very easy yet still take up hundreds of hours of work.

>

> Designing an outfit which is a complete set and has not to link to every other armor piece except for weapons is far less work intensive than individual armor pieces.

>

> Now multiply this with years of sticking to a system and the amount of work required grows even more.

Converting every single armor set to outfit will most likely take a lot of time. Then again we don't know how difficulty it would be. They might have to redo the whole armor set from scratch to work as an outfit.

I do wonder why split the outfits into light, medium and heavy? They will be full body anyway. Unless it is for sorting purposes.

Here is an idea. Why do you guys create a pool with your favorite armor sets. Then vote for them. Once a winner is chosen push for ANet to create outfit version of this armor set?

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > armor is tied to class

> > Which doesn't matter if you use an overlay like I suggested. Just split outfits into: full body, light, medium and heavy. /done

>

> It's not a "just." Outfits are a fourth fundamental weight of armor and don't exist as separate pieces, which is why they take less time to go from inception to release.

I was referring to the hero panel sub section, not the outfits themselves. The preview window essentially already does what I'm talking about, nothing has to be "converted" or "reinvented" here.

It'd be nice to wear the skins of other armor weights. But I think I can understand why Anet is reluctant on this.

The armor weights do a very good job at telling players on a glance what they are. Are they a Caster (Ele, Necro, Mesmer), An adventurer (Thief, Ranger, Engie), or a fighter(Guardian, Warrior, Revenant)?

Letting an elementalist wear heavy armor skin would get confusing fast.

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > @"Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497" said:

> > The armor weights do a very good job at telling players on a glance what they are.

> The existence of outfits and combat tonics already throw that concept out of the window.

If you read my post at all, the devs made outfits for that purpose, just one of the reasons they did it. They wanted town clothes to be able to fill that role but found it to limiting so they changed town clothes into outfits so that people *could* have a heavy armor mage etc, but you will never see the defensive bonuses tied to that armor allowed on another class. Nobody would have any reason other than to run heavy armor.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > @"Leo Schrodingers Cat.2497" said:

> > > The armor weights do a very good job at telling players on a glance what they are.

> > The existence of outfits and combat tonics already throw that concept out of the window.

>

> If you read my post at all, the devs made outfits for that purpose, just one of the reasons they did it. They wanted town clothes to be able to fill that role but found it to limiting so they changed town clothes into outfits so that people *could* have a heavy armor mage etc, but you will never see the defensive bonuses tied to that armor allowed on another class. Nobody would have any reason other than to run heavy armor.

None if this is in contrast to what I just said so what's your point?

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > @"YoukiNeko.6047" said:

> > > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > @"Blocki.4931" said:

> > > > armor is tied to class

> > > Which doesn't matter if you use an overlay like I suggested. Just split outfits into: full body, light, medium and heavy. /done

> >

> > O please you mighty coder! Go and teach them how to code and how easy it is **/done**.

>

> This is not an issue of difficulty but workload. Something can be very easy yet still take up hundreds of hours of work.

>

> Designing an outfit which is a complete set and has not to link to every other armor piece except for weapons is far less work intensive than individual armor pieces.

>

> Now multiply this with years of sticking to a system and the amount of work required grows even more.

Yeah, as a professional programmer myself, I can confirm this, while a very simple thing to do, would be obnoxiously time consuming.

It'd take forever, not even polymorphism can fix this.