Sun's Refuge underwhelming?

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > Unless I missed something it wasn't hyped that much by Anet, they just mentioned that it was coming and it would be an instance you can build up. It was players who were talking about how it could be GW2's version of housing and discussing all their favourite housing features from other games which could be incorporated into Sun's Refuge.

> > > This! I didn't see Anet hyping it much, it was mostly players picking out that part of the anouncement and running wild with it.

> > >

> > > Personally I'm having fun with the collections and the upgrading of the instance, and seeing it in different stages when entering the later story missions with different friends ;) . I'm a big fan of all kinds of fluff and fun in this game :D .

> > >

> > > I could see it turning into a season headquarter similarly to how Rata Novus was Taimi's headquarter in season 3, and as such I appreciate the fact that I've got a hand in fleshing out that instance and being able to go there whenever I want (just like I love to go back to Tarir to visit Aurene and see all the souveniers I brought her ... which incidentally Taimi seems to have carried along to Sun's refuge, too).

> > >

> > > I know I'm weird, but I actually play this game mainly to have fun, and that kind of fluff is much more fun to me than yet another daily harvesting node :P .

> > >

> >

> > Well then how about this?

> >

> > _But now_ **we're raising the stakes and we're actually starting to release what we'd consider expansion-level features,** _alongside these things, when they come online, when they're ready._

> >

> > **We're not saving things for big expansions anymore.** _These things come online when they're ready and we're going to keep releasing them.

> > Closely to this, we're obviously continuing our storyline, continuing to build our characters, releasing legendary weapons, we're still working on Fractals, and that's in addition to our content that we're working on for World vs. World._

> >

> > **And one other major thing that's coming up is coming with the next episode and it's called Sun's Refuge.** _This is a personal story instance that will upgrade over time, as the players are playing through Episode 4. The idea is that we're going back to an iconic Guild Wars location and players, through playing the storyline and playing through the open world, will find additional allies that they'll bring back to Sun's Refuge, they're gonna unlock additional horns, upgrade an additional armor set, and there's a ton of collection that will help build up the lore and overall help players understand where we're going moving forward._

> >

> > This is from an interview with Mike Zadorojny. Link: https://www.shacknews.com/article/107195/guild-wars-2-sixth-birthday-interview-mike-zadorojny-talks-the-living-world

> >

> > Forgive me, but that sort of language does set expectations.

> >

>

> Nowhere in that article or that paragraph does Mike Z. say he is referring to Sun's Refuge about the 'expansion-level' content. In fact, he says 'one other major thing', so it's not Sun's Refuge.

>

> What _was_ interesting in that article, and I'm surprised no one has discussed it yet on the forums, is the new Mount coming. Then again, maybe it's best that it isn't so ArenaNet doesn't get accused of 'hyping it up too much'. :tongue:

I read the article and can’t see anything about a new mount. Can you post the quote?

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > > Unless I missed something it wasn't hyped that much by Anet, they just mentioned that it was coming and it would be an instance you can build up. It was players who were talking about how it could be GW2's version of housing and discussing all their favourite housing features from other games which could be incorporated into Sun's Refuge.

> > > > This! I didn't see Anet hyping it much, it was mostly players picking out that part of the anouncement and running wild with it.

> > > >

> > > > Personally I'm having fun with the collections and the upgrading of the instance, and seeing it in different stages when entering the later story missions with different friends ;) . I'm a big fan of all kinds of fluff and fun in this game :D .

> > > >

> > > > I could see it turning into a season headquarter similarly to how Rata Novus was Taimi's headquarter in season 3, and as such I appreciate the fact that I've got a hand in fleshing out that instance and being able to go there whenever I want (just like I love to go back to Tarir to visit Aurene and see all the souveniers I brought her ... which incidentally Taimi seems to have carried along to Sun's refuge, too).

> > > >

> > > > I know I'm weird, but I actually play this game mainly to have fun, and that kind of fluff is much more fun to me than yet another daily harvesting node :P .

> > > >

> > >

> > > Well then how about this?

> > >

> > > _But now_ **we're raising the stakes and we're actually starting to release what we'd consider expansion-level features,** _alongside these things, when they come online, when they're ready._

> > >

> > > **We're not saving things for big expansions anymore.** _These things come online when they're ready and we're going to keep releasing them.

> > > Closely to this, we're obviously continuing our storyline, continuing to build our characters, releasing legendary weapons, we're still working on Fractals, and that's in addition to our content that we're working on for World vs. World._

> > >

> > > **And one other major thing that's coming up is coming with the next episode and it's called Sun's Refuge.** _This is a personal story instance that will upgrade over time, as the players are playing through Episode 4. The idea is that we're going back to an iconic Guild Wars location and players, through playing the storyline and playing through the open world, will find additional allies that they'll bring back to Sun's Refuge, they're gonna unlock additional horns, upgrade an additional armor set, and there's a ton of collection that will help build up the lore and overall help players understand where we're going moving forward._

> > >

> > > This is from an interview with Mike Zadorojny. Link: https://www.shacknews.com/article/107195/guild-wars-2-sixth-birthday-interview-mike-zadorojny-talks-the-living-world

> > >

> > > Forgive me, but that sort of language does set expectations.

> > >

> >

> > Nowhere in that article or that paragraph does Mike Z. say he is referring to Sun's Refuge about the 'expansion-level' content. In fact, he says 'one other major thing', so it's not Sun's Refuge.

> >

> > What _was_ interesting in that article, and I'm surprised no one has discussed it yet on the forums, is the new Mount coming. Then again, maybe it's best that it isn't so ArenaNet doesn't get accused of 'hyping it up too much'. :tongue:

>

> I read the article and can’t see anything about a new mount. Can you post the quote?

“we are planning to release a new mount that players weren't expecting”

> > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > Unless I missed something it wasn't hyped that much by Anet, they just mentioned that it was coming and it would be an instance you can build up. It was players who were talking about how it could be GW2's version of housing and discussing all their favourite housing features from other games which could be incorporated into Sun's Refuge.

> > > This! I didn't see Anet hyping it much, it was mostly players picking out that part of the anouncement and running wild with it.

> > >

> > > Personally I'm having fun with the collections and the upgrading of the instance, and seeing it in different stages when entering the later story missions with different friends ;) . I'm a big fan of all kinds of fluff and fun in this game :D .

> > >

> > > I could see it turning into a season headquarter similarly to how Rata Novus was Taimi's headquarter in season 3, and as such I appreciate the fact that I've got a hand in fleshing out that instance and being able to go there whenever I want (just like I love to go back to Tarir to visit Aurene and see all the souveniers I brought her ... which incidentally Taimi seems to have carried along to Sun's refuge, too).

> > >

> > > I know I'm weird, but I actually play this game mainly to have fun, and that kind of fluff is much more fun to me than yet another daily harvesting node :P .

> > >

> >

> > Well then how about this?

> >

> > _But now_ **we're raising the stakes and we're actually starting to release what we'd consider expansion-level features,** _alongside these things, when they come online, when they're ready._

> >

> > **We're not saving things for big expansions anymore.** _These things come online when they're ready and we're going to keep releasing them.

> > Closely to this, we're obviously continuing our storyline, continuing to build our characters, releasing legendary weapons, we're still working on Fractals, and that's in addition to our content that we're working on for World vs. World._

> >

> > **And one other major thing that's coming up is coming with the next episode and it's called Sun's Refuge.** _This is a personal story instance that will upgrade over time, as the players are playing through Episode 4. The idea is that we're going back to an iconic Guild Wars location and players, through playing the storyline and playing through the open world, will find additional allies that they'll bring back to Sun's Refuge, they're gonna unlock additional horns, upgrade an additional armor set, and there's a ton of collection that will help build up the lore and overall help players understand where we're going moving forward._

> >

> > This is from an interview with Mike Zadorojny. Link: https://www.shacknews.com/article/107195/guild-wars-2-sixth-birthday-interview-mike-zadorojny-talks-the-living-world

> >

> > Forgive me, but that sort of language does set expectations.

> >

>

> Nowhere in that article or that paragraph does Mike Z. say he is referring to Sun's Refuge about the 'expansion-level' content. In fact, he says 'one other major thing', so it's not Sun's Refuge.

>

> What _was_ interesting in that article, and I'm surprised no one has discussed it yet on the forums, is the new Mount coming. Then again, maybe it's best that it isn't so ArenaNet doesn't get accused of 'hyping it up too much'. :tongue:

Yeah I see what you mean. That's a fair comment. But he still rates the sunspear's refuge as something major and for me I'm not so sure as a player what's so major about it.

The article in question was released September 11, 2018 2:30 PM.

The Roller Beetle was released June 26, 2018.

Sixth Birthday/Anniversary August 24, 2018.

_The promise that we're making players right now is that this season, we are *planning* to release a new mount that players weren't expecting..._

Of course, it could be Mike Z. was confused about the fact that a new Mount had already been released, but....you know, that was 3 months ago.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > > @"Gehenna.3625" said:

> > > > > @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > > > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > > > > Unless I missed something it wasn't hyped that much by Anet, they just mentioned that it was coming and it would be an instance you can build up. It was players who were talking about how it could be GW2's version of housing and discussing all their favourite housing features from other games which could be incorporated into Sun's Refuge.

> > > > > This! I didn't see Anet hyping it much, it was mostly players picking out that part of the anouncement and running wild with it.

> > > > >

> > > > > Personally I'm having fun with the collections and the upgrading of the instance, and seeing it in different stages when entering the later story missions with different friends ;) . I'm a big fan of all kinds of fluff and fun in this game :D .

> > > > >

> > > > > I could see it turning into a season headquarter similarly to how Rata Novus was Taimi's headquarter in season 3, and as such I appreciate the fact that I've got a hand in fleshing out that instance and being able to go there whenever I want (just like I love to go back to Tarir to visit Aurene and see all the souveniers I brought her ... which incidentally Taimi seems to have carried along to Sun's refuge, too).

> > > > >

> > > > > I know I'm weird, but I actually play this game mainly to have fun, and that kind of fluff is much more fun to me than yet another daily harvesting node :P .

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Well then how about this?

> > > >

> > > > _But now_ **we're raising the stakes and we're actually starting to release what we'd consider expansion-level features,** _alongside these things, when they come online, when they're ready._

> > > >

> > > > **We're not saving things for big expansions anymore.** _These things come online when they're ready and we're going to keep releasing them.

> > > > Closely to this, we're obviously continuing our storyline, continuing to build our characters, releasing legendary weapons, we're still working on Fractals, and that's in addition to our content that we're working on for World vs. World._

> > > >

> > > > **And one other major thing that's coming up is coming with the next episode and it's called Sun's Refuge.** _This is a personal story instance that will upgrade over time, as the players are playing through Episode 4. The idea is that we're going back to an iconic Guild Wars location and players, through playing the storyline and playing through the open world, will find additional allies that they'll bring back to Sun's Refuge, they're gonna unlock additional horns, upgrade an additional armor set, and there's a ton of collection that will help build up the lore and overall help players understand where we're going moving forward._

> > > >

> > > > This is from an interview with Mike Zadorojny. Link: https://www.shacknews.com/article/107195/guild-wars-2-sixth-birthday-interview-mike-zadorojny-talks-the-living-world

> > > >

> > > > Forgive me, but that sort of language does set expectations.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Nowhere in that article or that paragraph does Mike Z. say he is referring to Sun's Refuge about the 'expansion-level' content. In fact, he says 'one other major thing', so it's not Sun's Refuge.

> > >

> > > What _was_ interesting in that article, and I'm surprised no one has discussed it yet on the forums, is the new Mount coming. Then again, maybe it's best that it isn't so ArenaNet doesn't get accused of 'hyping it up too much'. :tongue:

> >

> > I read the article and can’t see anything about a new mount. Can you post the quote?

>

> “we are planning to release a new mount that players weren't expecting”

Ok. I see it now.

Of course it is a bit hard to discuss a mount with so little to go on, unless we simply want to throw out various possibilities. Substantial discussions requires some background information.

Back to the Sun’s Refuge. I don’t think they overpromised this feature so much as they built something new that has no real use past this map. They could have made it a sandbox instance where people could build and customize it. If they had done that that would have been a ton of content for many people, making that site of value for the rest of the game. Instead it’s going to be abandoned and forgotten once all the collections are done, which seems to be such a waste.

Sunspear's Refuge is listed as an "expansion level feature" and is also likened to a home instance.

It is only fair that MMO players would expect something much better than WoW's garrisons. Especially if you consider that the garrison expansion level feature was released four years ago. It would be fair to expect - given the hype that was laid out - that Sunspear's Refuge would be a massive improvement on WoW's garrisons. Four years and all to improve on what Blizzard did. Instead we got something that just shows how far behind Anet are in some ways.

Sorry if this offends any Anet employees. Take it as constructive criticism.

They can't replace the home instance, nor the guild halls, so there wasn't much to do with it anyway. They also certainly will never add convenience NPCs to instances like that, since this kind of thing is actually a commodity they sell for gems. Sun's Refuge was never meant to be a hub of sorts.

I grateful it wasn't player housing. I like the sunspears, but i don't want to to take over their historic site, plant my flag there and start redecorating the place. Wouldn't it be disappointing if there was only one possible player house and that's it? Better like sunspears and desert caves, because this in your home now! If they ever do get around to player housing I'm hoping there's at least different house option for each race or region.

In terms of what they've got right now, I'm ok with it It's about the same as it was in GW1. We've gathered a merchant, repair anvil, an NPC who crafts armor, people handing out quests, all the amenities it had back in Nightfall except for bank access. We don't need any massive changes to it. As long as they progress the story, don't leave it locked in time like a regular map, and open up the blocked passages as new maps get added, I won't complain about it.

> The article in question was released September 11, 2018 2:30 PM.

> The Roller Beetle was released June 26, 2018.

> Sixth Birthday/Anniversary August 24, 2018.

>

> _The promise that we're making players right now is that this season, we are *planning* to release a new mount that players weren't expecting..._

>

> Of course, it could be Mike Z. was confused about the fact that a new Mount had already been released, but....you know, that was 3 months ago.

I think I'm reading that as there *is* a plan for yet another mount. Because the last line of the interview has Mike Z referring to the beetle in the past tense. So, assuming the interview is presented in the order it was conducted and was all done in one go rather than in snippets over time for some reason, he mentioned planning a surprise mount while being pleased about how the players are enjoying making their own beetle races with the previous surprise mount.

>We don't have any large scale plans to add to the instance after episode 4

These people do realize that a story about us adventuring all over the world and working with large organizations to fight monsters the size of mountains that eat time might require some kind of home base right?

Was kind of hoping that the Refuge would be that base. Sad to see it's just one off flavor content.

Really tired of receiving exposition through a radio like I'm playing Metal Gear.