Top 9 Class difficulty List.

DanAlcedo.3281

> @"Kovu.7560" said:

> Anyone can post a list. Here's mine, easy to hard:

> Necromancer-Guardian-Warrior > Ranger > Mesmer > Revenant > Thief > Engineer-Elementalist

> That said, top tier rangers take a lot of skill to play, as does sustaining well on non heal-bunker Druids. Its only a "pug class" because (like warrior) you can get mroe out of it as a brand new player. The list I posted is what I consider the average result based on average player input.

>

> ~ Kovu

And I would only add to that your list seems to be based more on the meta specs. (Which makes sense and probably goes without saying)

I am assuming you mean more in the Zerg/large scale groups? If not, would you mind explaining more?

Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any class that is melee is harder to play than range. It's extremely easy to land your hits and place your circles from 1200-1500 range, but when you're confined to 130 range and you're trying to land Final Thrust on three guys at 50% health it's plain to see which needs more skill.

Anyway imo melee Weaver takes the most skill.

Zergs (easiest to hardest)

Rev > Guard > War >= Necro** > Mes > Thief > Ele > Engineer > Ranger

Non-meta classes are naturally the hardest, because even if played well, they're still not contributing to the group as much as the meta classes are. So it is easy to play a ranger, but you're probably still useless unless you're in the top 5% and even in those cases a random rev or guardian contributes more.

Rev is the easiest, because it has ranged damage that isn't trivially negated plus a billion and one options to stay alive so if you're not contributing on a rev, it's probably because you are bad at the game or you're like 3000 range from the fight, in which case, see above.

Guardian is the 2nd easiest, because despite being the most likely to die, it is likely that a guardian will have contributed the most to their group even if they should die, mainly because they're the reason anyone is still alive. Gone are the days where you had to cycle stab, since Firebrands have it like everywhere and it's not like frontline guardian was any work of genius.

Warrior, Mesmers, and Necros really depends, because while very strong; you are also at the mercy of your group. If your firebrand goes on coffee break, necro is actually the hardest because they will die very fast. Warriors have to make themselves vulnerable to do bubbles, but then again they do have plenty of ways of negating damage, and mesmers are the only class where you can't really pretend to know what you're doing since you can fail the group if you botch a veil, or something.

Thief is generally squishier but higher risk/reward. But honestly pogo sticking around a zerg is really not that hard. Ele's sorta just there with thief, and Engi/Ranger struggle to do anything useful since 80% of what they can do is negated by projectile hate. But Engi can be a healbot, so ranger loses unless they're a healbot too but even that has problems.

** Of course, transfusion necros played badly can indeed kill everybody, so maybe that's the hardest?

None of them are that hard

> @"EnderzShadow.2506" said:

> Lot of Ranger hate, dmn you guys are salty.

> and every Ranger plays Longbow...sure thing lads

It doesn't work that way, all mirages are condi and all Rangers camp LB, that's just how it is and there's no sense arguing because everyone knows the truth.

The fundemental truths of wvw are:

Mesmer wins fight - because Condi/evades/stealth bombs

Necro wins - becaise Condi

Warrior/Guardian/Revenent - because Too tanky

Thief - because perma Stealth

Ele - because Vapor formed into a tower

Engi - because Luck

Ranger - because LB and pet

It's not our job to disprove these notions, it's the professions players job to disprove them.

> @"ArchonWing.9480" said:

> Zergs (easiest to hardest)

>

> Rev > Guard > War >= Necro** > Mes > Thief > Ele > Engineer > Ranger

>

> Non-meta classes are naturally the hardest, because even if played well, they're still not contributing to the group as much as the meta classes are. So it is easy to play a ranger, but you're probably still useless unless you're in the top 5% and even in those cases a random rev or guardian contributes more.

>

> Rev is the easiest, because it has ranged damage that isn't trivially negated plus a billion and one options to stay alive so if you're not contributing on a rev, it's probably because you are bad at the game or you're like 3000 range from the fight, in which case, see above.

>

> Guardian is the 2nd easiest, because despite being the most likely to die, it is likely that a guardian will have contributed the most to their group even if they should die, mainly because they're the reason anyone is still alive. Gone are the days where you had to cycle stab, since Firebrands have it like everywhere and it's not like frontline guardian was any work of genius.

>

> Warrior, Mesmers, and Necros really depends, because while very strong; you are also at the mercy of your group. If your firebrand goes on coffee break, necro is actually the hardest because they will die very fast. Warriors have to make themselves vulnerable to do bubbles, but then again they do have plenty of ways of negating damage, and as a mesmers are the only class where you can't really pretend to know what you're doing since you can fail the group if you botch a veil, or something.

>

> Thief is generally squishier but higher risk/reward. But honestly pogo sticking around a zerg is really not that hard. Ele's sorta just there with thief, and Engi/Ranger struggle to do anything useful since 80% of what they can do is negated by projectile hate. But Engi can be a healbot, so ranger loses unless they're a healbot too but even that has problems.

>

> ** Of course, transfusion necros played badly can indeed kill everybody, so maybe that's the hardest?

>

>

Adding to that bit near the end

I often play a sword/shield frontline Holosmith in zergs. Although it provides nothing in the way of support, it does have a more than reasonable amount of CC and is capable of pushing alongside Guardians. Once we're deep in the other zerg during a push, it's possible to drop 1 very painful and unblockable pulsing CC, 1 large AOE CC, a second slightly shorter ranged AOE CC and 1 close range CC. On top of that it has some pretty lethal melee damage.

I'm absolutely not advocating that it's a superb zerging build but I did want to throw it out there that I feel a decent Holosmith can pull their weight in zergs with CC's and melee damage. Unfortunately, because many zergs prefer to pirate ship however, it is only situationally useful.

> @"HazyDaisy.4107" said:

> > @"EnderzShadow.2506" said:

> > Lot of Ranger hate, dmn you guys are salty.

> > and every Ranger plays Longbow...sure thing lads

>

> It doesn't work that way, all mirages are condi and all Rangers camp LB, that's just how it is and there's no sense arguing because everyone knows the truth.

>

> The fundemental truths of wvw are:

> Mesmer wins fight - because Condi/evades/stealth bombs

>

> Necro wins - becaise Condi

>

> Warrior/Guardian/Revenent - because Too tanky

>

> Thief - because perma Stealth

>

> Ele - because Vapor formed into a tower

>

> Engi - because Luck

>

> Ranger - because LB and pet

>

> It's not our job to disprove these notions, it's the professions players job to disprove them.

He is talking about zerg. So your pet is dead in MS when not in beastmode. The zerg has perma retal and when good almost perma reflections. So it's more that the ranger needs to stay alive, if you want to die fast you press that 2 skill mindlessly . And they are easily focused on because of the ranger hate :P

> @"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:

> > @"ArchonWing.9480" said:

> > Zergs (easiest to hardest)

> >

> > Rev > Guard > War >= Necro** > Mes > Thief > Ele > Engineer > Ranger

> >

> > Non-meta classes are naturally the hardest, because even if played well, they're still not contributing to the group as much as the meta classes are. So it is easy to play a ranger, but you're probably still useless unless you're in the top 5% and even in those cases a random rev or guardian contributes more.

> >

> > Rev is the easiest, because it has ranged damage that isn't trivially negated plus a billion and one options to stay alive so if you're not contributing on a rev, it's probably because you are bad at the game or you're like 3000 range from the fight, in which case, see above.

> >

> > Guardian is the 2nd easiest, because despite being the most likely to die, it is likely that a guardian will have contributed the most to their group even if they should die, mainly because they're the reason anyone is still alive. Gone are the days where you had to cycle stab, since Firebrands have it like everywhere and it's not like frontline guardian was any work of genius.

> >

> > Warrior, Mesmers, and Necros really depends, because while very strong; you are also at the mercy of your group. If your firebrand goes on coffee break, necro is actually the hardest because they will die very fast. Warriors have to make themselves vulnerable to do bubbles, but then again they do have plenty of ways of negating damage, and as a mesmers are the only class where you can't really pretend to know what you're doing since you can fail the group if you botch a veil, or something.

> >

> > Thief is generally squishier but higher risk/reward. But honestly pogo sticking around a zerg is really not that hard. Ele's sorta just there with thief, and Engi/Ranger struggle to do anything useful since 80% of what they can do is negated by projectile hate. But Engi can be a healbot, so ranger loses unless they're a healbot too but even that has problems.

> >

> > ** Of course, transfusion necros played badly can indeed kill everybody, so maybe that's the hardest?

> >

> >

>

> Adding to that bit near the end

>

> I often play a sword/shield frontline Holosmith in zergs. Although it provides nothing in the way of support, it does have a more than reasonable amount of CC and is capable of pushing alongside Guardians. Once we're deep in the other zerg during a push, it's possible to drop 1 very painful and unblockable pulsing CC, 1 large AOE CC, a second slightly shorter ranged AOE CC and 1 close range CC. On top of that it has some pretty lethal melee damage.

>

> I'm absolutely not advocating that it's a superb zerging build but I did want to throw it out there that I feel a decent Holosmith can pull their weight in zergs with CC's and melee damage. Unfortunately, because many zergs prefer to pirate ship however, it is only situationally useful.

Engi is hard to place for sure. The class is kinda hard to play but they do have the advantage of raw survivability over the other couple of classes that aren't seen that much. At the very least you could argue that the enemy wasting damage on you is still something. Scrappers do always provide something (somewhat unforunate other classes are better at power ressing in zergs now) and Holo being more selfish is sorta like thief in that regards for damage. But yea pirate ship situations tend to hurt since there's too much downtime in those cases and if you're fighting at stuff like the bridge at inner hills, you may as well just go on break for a little.

> @"HazyDaisy.4107" said:

> > @"EnderzShadow.2506" said:

> > Lot of Ranger hate, dmn you guys are salty.

> > and every Ranger plays Longbow...sure thing lads

>

> It doesn't work that way, all mirages are condi and all Rangers camp LB, that's just how it is and there's no sense arguing because everyone knows the truth.

>

> The fundemental truths of wvw are:

> Mesmer wins fight - because Condi/evades/stealth bombs

>

> Necro wins - becaise Condi

>

> Warrior/Guardian/Revenent - because Too tanky

>

> Thief - because perma Stealth

>

> Ele - because Vapor formed into a tower

>

> Engi - because Luck

>

> Ranger - because LB and pet

>

> It's not our job to disprove these notions, it's the professions players job to disprove them.

No one's played condi Necro since dhuumfire got nerfed

My guesses about the list:

1 -> idk, tbh i would simply put ranger aside from zerg-fighting lists. Sometimes its useful, but mostly other classes can do much more and much better.

5 -> I wouldn't put "bubble-machine" so high in the list, it should be 7, just click 2-3 buttons (resistance and stability) and put your bubble where your commander wants it or where you think it should be put. After that just survive,cleave and follow the tag.

Move mes and revenant to 5 and 6 and I would agree with the list (except for the 1st place as I said).

> @"XECOR.2814" said:

> Yes scourge noob profession, ranger pro profession. You're playing freakin bow and arrow in a tab target game, how much skill do you think is needed here. Imagine if ranger actually had to aim to hit its arrows. Oh boi, every ranger would be re rolling right now.

I THINK his point is.... 99% of rangers think like you and are trashbags to have in a zerg fight that actively kill themselves and their allies.

Rangers that use piercing, hit squishies instead of pewpewing the minstrel guard, know how to barrage siege out of sight of everyone else, watch out for gank and protect their own squishies and dont shoot into reflects? I wouldn't say its the hardest to play correctly but judging by the competence of rangers I see around i'd have to say it's out of the skill level of the average player xD

He got necro being brain dead right though...

So ranger is skillful because you need to know not to attack through reflects? Dont they have unblockable traits/skills? LB 5? They have only 2 damaging skills on LB and max range..whats skilled about that? You need to know all these stuff on other classes as well, but you cant work around it with traits, you actually need to position and get closer to enemy.

"It's not meta so it's hard". Don't be ridiculous. It's not meta because it's single target focused, which has nothing to do with skill level or you being able to adapt to battlefield.

in majority of the games, including gw2 melee classes are usualy harder to play in team fights , where the player skill is equal. in a 80 against 80 fight melee classes will require lot more skill to be somehow efficient

There is not even a point to consider a ranger can be dificult to play since it has 1500 range, and good defence from his skills . That makes it easiest class to play , but also not efficient

I would place warrior on #1. Just for how patient a warrior must be to sit through an entire **"pirate ship fight"** without throwing a single blow.

In large scale fight on reset night, if you are a warrior you know how infuriating it is when "commanders" stare for minutes at each other doing absolutely nothing other than "bombing" an area with wells, and range attacks.

There are times that I get so bored of the pirate ship nonsense that I charge alone at the enemy zerg just to land some hits out of frustration.

So, in that sense, warrior is the most difficult to play because it requires you to be extremely patient.

> @"Celsith.2753" said:

> > @"XECOR.2814" said:

> > Yes scourge noob profession, ranger pro profession. You're playing freakin bow and arrow in a tab target game, how much skill do you think is needed here. Imagine if ranger actually had to aim to hit its arrows. Oh boi, every ranger would be re rolling right now.

>

> I THINK his point is.... 99% of rangers think like you and are trashbags to have in a zerg fight that actively kill themselves and their allies.

>

> Rangers that use piercing, hit squishies instead of pewpewing the minstrel guard, know how to barrage siege out of sight of everyone else, watch out for gank and protect their own squishies and dont shoot into reflects? I wouldn't say its the hardest to play correctly but judging by the competence of rangers I see around i'd have to say it's out of the skill level of the average player xD

>

> He got necro being brain dead right though...

>

When using piercing skill makes you top skilled player lol. Imagine getting hit by 2 ranger pewpewing without single defense skill,mobility,projectile block and trying to win. Btw i now know your skill level if you think not shooting into reflects or priority targeting takes skill. Btw thats called common sense. Every player on every class has it and knows how to do so. 99% of the rangers are tower camping 1500range zerk sickem rapid shot and nothing more and thats a fact.

> @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> **Nr 2. Elementalist**

> Skill needed: Very High

>

> Weaver scales perfectly with risk.

> A low skilled Elementalist that needs a high % of Marauder Gear is often not very usefull, but

> a good Elementalist, who can survive with a high % of Berserker gear can be devastating for your enemy.

The difference between marauder and berserker is 15% of damage when 25 might are applied (5% more power + 10% more critical damage). This does not make a build useless.

In general ele is the most forgiving class in zerg fights because of vapor form in downstate which brings him back to his zerg (or into a tower) safely to be rezzed.

> **Nr 1. Ranger**

> Skill needed: Extremly High.

>

> Despite popular believe a Ranger can actuall be usefull, even in a Zerg.

> However, the skill needed to archive this state is for most players out of reach.

This class is one of the easiest to play in any scenario. It is just hard to notice because in any game ranger is typically class which is played by the worst players.

I died at that list rofl.

Just because something isnt useful in zergs it doesnt mean they are harder to play. A ranger is probably the single easiest character to play in most gamemodes rofl.

0 responsibilities except positioning and utilizing 1500+ range (unless melee).

Most difficult is probably:

1. Warrior for having one of the most important jobs of landing perfect bubbles, which got a way too long CD for the 5 second duration. Having 2 melee weaponsets for mobility/def/some form of AoE damage and having to crawl through miles of AoE to land a single gamechanging ability.

2. Elementalists for being so squishy and relying on Meteor showers to deal the damage they need to do to be viable. Easily killed by enemy roamers/gank/sidesquads and gets spanked by retaliations. Also struggles alot when having to reposition during fights.

Easiest:

1. Thief & Ranger because not having any importalt gamechanging stuff to do, and got alot of personal defense through mobility/stealth/evades. Lacking in the AoE, but they were never meant to AoE on par with say, a necro or elem. (throws a glance at staff daredevil)

2. Scourge & Firebrand: Very durable while being in a blob and sustaining "eachother". Scourges can smack their heads in the keyboard and do plenty of "decent" work.

3. Herald hammer: great spikedamage, easy to land and got plenty of tools to survive most encounters. 2 evades with staff, glintheal is OP in zergs. Jallis/Mallyx also got good heals and Shiro is great for repositioning with IO.

Rest is a middleground.

Special dawg that is hard to place is Minstrel Chrono, they do alot of work that needs some timing and momentum, but doesnt struggle on par with warriors or elementalists.

> @"SpellOfIniquity.1780" said:

> I often play a sword/shield frontline Holosmith in zergs. Although it provides nothing in the way of support...

hardlight arena, medikit, elixir gun, anticorrosion plating, overshield, purity of purpose, crystal configuration zephyr and you get the highest rate of group condition cleanse (+ boon conversion) I know of in this game. Still high damage and an absurdly high output of group protection and group superspeed uptime. Only thing it lacks is heal (you have a water-field and 4 blast finishers, though).

topic:

I have to say playing healscrapper is pretty easy, though... Especially the build with supply crate and blast gyro where you camp medi-kit most of the time. casual players might not get the 7k hps, but the cleanse is easy, the build is tanky and with hammer-block, -evade and stability on evasion you have often have an easy time.

> @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> **Nr 1. Ranger**

> Skill needed: Extremly High.

>

> Despite popular believe a Ranger can actuall be usefull, even in a Zerg.

> However, the skill needed to archive this state is for most players out of reach.

As a ranger main I really.. really REALLY have to disagree with this.

> @"XECOR.2814" said:

> When using piercing skill makes you top skilled player lol. Imagine getting hit by 2 ranger pewpewing without single defense skill,mobility,projectile block and trying to win. Btw i now know your skill level if you think not shooting into reflects or priority targeting takes skill. Btw thats called common sense. Every player on every class has it and knows how to do so. 99% of the rangers are tower camping 1500range zerk sickem rapid shot and nothing more and thats a fact.

Wooooooooooosh :)