How to Properly Balance Rune of the Sanctuary

shadowpass.4236

We went from having an interesting, viable (imo) minor trait that had a unique, if too-strong effect when combined with one armor rune. Without the rune, the trait was fine (if perhaps a little on the weak side - did anyone use it? o.o)

Now we have a garbage minor trait no matter what, even if used with the rune.

And the rune remains unchanged.

Really anet, this comes across as a hasty decision that was not thought through at all.

Why couldn't you just change the rune to give 20% increased healing and barrier?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> Scourge is still able to maintain ridiculous levels of free condition cleanse and effortless permanent 25 might even after this change.

No it doesnt lol. 1 cleanse in 5 secs If you take that trait, which no one will take now. Cleansing is all coming from fb.

Anet taking the lazy aproach as always. A trait never taken in pvp, and only used as a more support option at the cost of losing alot of life force regen(nourishing) was nerfed because they introduced a rune that is absolutely broken, maybe not so overpowered anymore but definitely broken. Ressing someone and constantly procing barrier is broken not overpowered, a guardian casting signet and giving you half your hp pool in barrier is broken, a lot of different things can in many ways exploit the fact that you keep pulsing barrier. Just because a necro trait abused it the best doesn't mean the issue is with that trait, it is with the rune. Anet is so unbelievably oblivious to balance and its going to be funny when this rune gets nerfed or removed in the near future when people get more creative with exploiting barrier that pulses non stop on any form of healing (healing/life steal/ and ressinglolxdtothisone) and everyone who thought the abrasive grit change was good will realise how short sighted and ignorant they were at this moment but then again I can't blame people who don't really get how combat in this game works. Just remove the rune things less busted than this have been removed.

I'm playing the game not so long, and always I found it weird, that A-Net does its balancing exclusively "behind closed doors". Not having a Public Test Server, nor interacting with the playerbase too much. I thought, "well, may be it's their way". May be they have their own reliable metrics and simply don't need a PTS. So, I somewhat trusted them.

Now, Rune of Sanctuary passing the QA and making it not **somewhere**, but into SPVP - that was a ROYAL FUCK-UP. But, well, it can happen with anyone, right? They overlooked, they forgot and whatever else.

But nerfing an otherwise perfectly balanced trait instead of SIMPLY FUCKING REMOVING the broken rune from SPVP - that was just too much. Now it looks less as a panic reaction, but more as a systematic ignorance and stupidity.

All these people complaining about the sanctuary Rune is astounding, the problem was not the Rune, it was the trait.

If you threw sanctuary Rune in ANY OTHER CLASS, or even any other necro or even scourge build it was nothing spectacular. But with that one trait it became broken, so it’s clearly the traits fault not the Rune.

I think it was a good change.

> @"Durzlla.6295" said:

> All these people complaining about the sanctuary Rune is astounding, the problem was not the Rune, it was the trait.

>

> If you threw sanctuary Rune in ANY OTHER CLASS, or even any other necro or even scourge build it was nothing spectacular. But with that one trait it became broken, so it’s clearly the traits fault not the Rune.

>

> I think it was a good change.

(6): Gain a barrier equal to 20% of the value of incoming heals.

This also triggers of vamp presence and other life steal. This may not accumulate much in spvp but in wvw the barrier spam is real.

> @"Durzlla.6295" said:

> All these people complaining about the sanctuary Rune is astounding, the problem was not the Rune, it was the trait.

>

> If you threw sanctuary Rune in ANY OTHER CLASS, or even any other necro or even scourge build it was nothing spectacular. But with that one trait it became broken, so it’s clearly the traits fault not the Rune.

>

Hard to say it was a good change.

ArenaNet could have simply excluded the Sanct Rune's barriers from proccing Abraisive Grit.... now they messed with Abraisive Grit and it's a monkey passive now.

> @"Durzlla.6295" said:

>

>

Scourge is still ridiculous with this. Especially if they have a firebrand pocket healer.

> @"Fat Disgrace.4275" said:

> > @"Durzlla.6295" said:

> > All these people complaining about the sanctuary Rune is astounding, the problem was not the Rune, it was the trait.

> >

> > If you threw sanctuary Rune in ANY OTHER CLASS, or even any other necro or even scourge build it was nothing spectacular. But with that one trait it became broken, so it’s clearly the traits fault not the Rune.

> >

> > I think it was a good change.

>

> (6): Gain a barrier equal to 20% of the value of incoming heals.

>

> This also triggers of vamp presence and other life steal. This may not accumulate much in spvp but in wvw the barrier spam is real.

I will be honest I don’t play WvW often, so I’m not really sure how anything ends up going there.

@"Chaith.8256" the problem with doing that is then you end up with inconsistent ruling. And Abrasive grit was not really taken in the first place, because scourge didn’t have a way to apply a lot of barrier to allies on a frequent basis without throwing out their boon corruption, otherwise we would’ve had this exact same problem happen already, because abrasive grit is a ridiculously good trait with no ICD.

> > All these people complaining about the sanctuary Rune is astounding, the problem was not the Rune, it was the trait.

> >

> > If you threw sanctuary Rune in ANY OTHER CLASS, or even any other necro or even scourge build it was nothing spectacular. But with that one trait it became broken, so it’s clearly the traits fault not the Rune.

> >

>

> Scourge is still ridiculous with this. Especially if they have a firebrand pocket healer.

Why? Because every 5s they remove 1 Condi and gain 3 might? So what? Scourge Still sucks against burst and can’t handle being focused, especially by someone whose ranged. And it still has the mobility of a rock.

Scourge and firebrand have always been a match made in hell, the scourge getting 20% more healing in the small window FB has to actually heal doesn’t really change much. And the scourge gives up offense to take those runes, so who cares?

> @"Durzlla.6295" said:

> > @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> > > @"Durzlla.6295" said:

> > > All these people complaining about the sanctuary Rune is astounding, the problem was not the Rune, it was the trait.

> > >

> > > If you threw sanctuary Rune in ANY OTHER CLASS, or even any other necro or even scourge build it was nothing spectacular. But with that one trait it became broken, so it’s clearly the traits fault not the Rune.

> > >

> > > I think it was a good change.

> >

> > Scourge is still ridiculous with this. Especially if they have a firebrand pocket healer.

>

> Why? Because every 5s they remove 1 Condi and gain 3 might? So what? Scourge Still sucks against burst and can’t handle being focused, especially by someone whose ranged. And it still has the mobility of a rock.

>

> Scourge and firebrand have always been a match made in hell, the scourge getting 20% more healing in the small window FB has to actually heal doesn’t really change much. And the scourge gives up offense to take those runes, so who cares?

They don't even need to run AG to gain huge benefits from this. 20% more healing is freaking huge when it's coming from a Firebrand and you're up against a Firebrand Scourge duo. Firebrand Scourge is already a monster duo. It didn't need to be made even more unshakable.

If Anet is listening to people like you, no wonder so many boneheaded balance decisions get made.

Tbh, it has nothing to do with the rune nor necro traits. It's an oversight and Anet didn't realize them synergize well together to create this dilemma we're in.

I wish they wouldn't nerf necro nor the rune but tweak/remove the interactions between them. So no perma might or near perma condi cleanses. And rez speed.

Idk how many times i down enemy necros yesterday matches and more but everyone has a hard time stomping cuz rez speed. I even have quickness and stab when stomping and i couldn't freaking do it before they get back up. Lol. It's insane. Pls fix.

> > > @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> > > > @"Durzlla.6295" said:

> > > > All these people complaining about the sanctuary Rune is astounding, the problem was not the Rune, it was the trait.

> > > >

> > > > If you threw sanctuary Rune in ANY OTHER CLASS, or even any other necro or even scourge build it was nothing spectacular. But with that one trait it became broken, so it’s clearly the traits fault not the Rune.

> > > >

> > > > I think it was a good change.

> > >

> > > Scourge is still ridiculous with this. Especially if they have a firebrand pocket healer.

> >

> > Why? Because every 5s they remove 1 Condi and gain 3 might? So what? Scourge Still sucks against burst and can’t handle being focused, especially by someone whose ranged. And it still has the mobility of a rock.

> >

> > Scourge and firebrand have always been a match made in hell, the scourge getting 20% more healing in the small window FB has to actually heal doesn’t really change much. And the scourge gives up offense to take those runes, so who cares?

>

> They don't even need to run AG to gain huge benefits from this. 20% more healing is freaking huge when it's coming from a Firebrand and you're up against a Firebrand Scourge duo. Firebrand Scourge is already a monster duo. It didn't need to be made even more unshakable.

>

> If Anet is listening to people like you, no wonder so many boneheaded balance decisions get made.

Firebrand is not a strong support because of its healing, it’s a strong support due to its ability to vomit protection, stability, regeneration, Condi cleanse, and block (normally aegis) while doing some healing.

If healing is what made firebrand and scourge a strong duo then firebrand would be fun with a Druid, ventari revenant or an elementalist because all of those provide far more healing than firebrand at the cost of the other support that firebrand does.

Additionally, if you get anyone with unblockable to jump onto a scourge firebrand combo they both die very very quickly. A Soulbeast with unstoppable union will down either one with a rapid fire, as can a warrior with signet of might should they be feeling frisky and wanna counter the meta.

> @"Chaith.8256" said:

> >

> >

>

> Hard to say it was a good change.

>

> ArenaNet could have simply excluded the Sanct Rune's barriers from proccing Abraisive Grit.... now they messed with Abraisive Grit and it's a monkey passive now.

My Tempest looks at your "monkey" passives with jealousy...

"one of us, one of us, one of us, one of us"

sorry but I mean cmoooooon, if anything now we need to give Holo/FB some monkey passives now, bring em back into line with all the other specs lmao