Difficult and expensive crafting is NOT FUN

Bane.4103

I've played the game from the beginning and I play every mode. What I find fun is building a character to specs I enjoy playing. Sometimes I need different builds for different modes. It is those modes that I like to play. It's building the characters for the big fights. It's learning the game mechanics that is fun.

What isn't fun is crafting stuff with hard to get or requires an enormous amount of farming. I don't mind some light farming, but not farming that I have to do day in day out.

For instance, Legendary armor and weapons are great for swapping in and out builds, but I don't care who has legendary and I have no need to brag. Why not make it easier to do. Yeah yeah you want players to feel accomplished. What I hear players feel is exhaustion and bored from endless gathering.

Fractals is another example. Why make the AR + STR (or whatever) so grindy and difficult? Why not make the AR requirements easier so that our friends can join us in higher levels of Fractals. I know many people who don't want to bother because it feels like another Anet grind...

The Sigil and Run ordeal is another example of just making it difficult and undesirable to do.

Please consider backing off on the crafting requirements. Perhaps soften it so others can join us in doing more advanced content. The fun is in the game play, not the grind to play the game.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Bane.4103" said:

> What isn't fun is crafting stuff with hard to get or requires an enormous amount of farming. I don't mind some light farming, but not farming that I have to do day in day out.

I don't farm. I do stuff I enjoy and then do something else. Spending a bit less on luxuries leaves a lot of income available for necessities, such as alternative gear sets.

> For instance, Legendary armor and weapons are great for swapping in and out builds, but I don't care who has legendary and I have no need to brag. Why not make it easier to do. Yeah yeah you want players to feel accomplished. What I hear players feel is exhaustion and bored from endless gathering.

Players who push acquisition hard will be bored and exhausted. Those who just move along at their own pace don't.

> Fractals is another example. Why make the AR + STR (or whatever) so grindy and difficult? Why not make the AR requirements easier so that our friends can join us in higher levels of Fractals. I know many people who don't want to bother because it feels like another Anet grind...

The AR is the least grindy gate in the game. It requires, at worst, a 110-125 gold; it can be purchased on the TP. Acquiring ascended gear is more problematic, but there are a variety of ways to do that now. Once you have a first set, you'll eventually get more gear from running fractals, if that's something that appeals.

> The Sigil and Run ordeal is another example of just making it difficult and undesirable to do.

What ordeal? don't want to craft? buy off the TP, which has viable options for condi, power, and support builds. Some are even optimal.

>

> Please consider backing off on the crafting requirements. Perhaps soften it so others can join us in doing more advanced content. The fun is in the game play, not the grind to play the game.

Again, if you don't want to grind for stuff, don't.

Yeah I don't get this complaint either ... IIRC, everything you can craft can be earned in different ways by playing the game, including just buying it. People ask me why I craft all my ascended gear for example. Then tell me they never crafted theirs; I'm not even sure where they get it, but obviously it's available not crafting it.

imo, you never geared in another game/s. grindy? for items that you get once and for all? and you don't have to play with rng crafting, stat lines, enchantments etc.

you call this a grindy? 100 gold for full set of AR is grindy? lend your friend that 100 gold and take to fractals. He will make it in like 5-6 days back.

'grindy' *flipstable*.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > I can understand expensive but what is difficult about crafting?

>

> Maybe how convoluted some of it can be? That’s all that I can think of that the OP may be referring to.

Yes. I'm talking about time gated or rarely dropped items, etc...

> @"Bane.4103" said:

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > I can understand expensive but what is difficult about crafting?

>

> Difficult to get some items. Very rare drops or time gated.

Such as? Unless it is also account bound then it is simply expensive and expensive.

I know some of the new recipes uses stuff like giant eyes and freshwater pearls ...

there's no stats benefit between Ascended and Legendary

this is another case of new players wanting the shiniest gear as soon as possible

the amount of materials required is clearly justified by the convenience legendary armor provides for the years to come.

yes, there are a few Ascended gears that I do personally feel a but unjustified, felt like dev's method to force players to return to the map for continuous grind

myself have managed crafted quite a few legendaries playing PvE casually, I did not place a specific goal to go for a legendary, somehow i managed to accumulate around 9k gold worth of materials, which i could liquidate just to go for a legendary if wanted.

unlike other games, GW2's legendaries are just shinie gears that provides no stats difference to the gear quality beneath of it, and obtainable simply playing casually, no endless grind in dungeon or raid for that 0.01% drop rate; took my friend 6 years to finally get Ashes of Al'ar from Tempest Keep, hows that for a shinie

I agree that crafting in GW2 is about as anti-fun as crafting in MMO's gets. However, design choices made this inevitable.

* ANet chose to create an MMO. The mentality of a lot of MMO players includes two things: a desire to put a lot of time into the game; and goals to achieve. Putting long-term goals (or medium-term, to be perfectly accurate) into the game has the side effect of keeping players playing, as Ayrilana said. It was inevitable that ANet would resort to something to satisfy those common MMO player desires.

* ANet established that GW2 rewards consist largely of materials gained via drops, or salvaged from drops. They also developed open world events which awarded a lot of these drops to large groups of players. To make these items in any way rewarding, they have to be worth something, and for that to happen they need to be used for something. So, enter crafting. It was inevitable that ANet would put something into the game that would require those huge amounts of materials.

The long and short of it is that players can choose to complain about a system that is not going to go away, or they can learn to live with it.

> @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> I agree that crafting in GW2 is about as anti-fun as crafting in MMO's gets. However, design choices made this inevitable.

>

Nah it can get much worse. At least in GW2 I don't have to set up the crafting before I go to sleep because the crafting progress bar takes 7 hours -_-

> @"Bane.4103" said:

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > I can understand expensive but what is difficult about crafting?

> >

> > Maybe how convoluted some of it can be? That’s all that I can think of that the OP may be referring to.

>

> Yes. I'm talking about time gated or rarely dropped items, etc...

Give us a rare drop example in this game for crafting please. A single example!

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > I agree that crafting in GW2 is about as anti-fun as crafting in MMO's gets. However, design choices made this inevitable.

> >

>

> Nah it can get much worse. At least in GW2 I don't have to set up the crafting before I go to sleep because the crafting progress bar takes 7 hours -_-

Or you could run out of 'crafting energy' and wait for a week to replenish.

> @"phs.6089" said:

> > @"Bane.4103" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > I can understand expensive but what is difficult about crafting?

> > >

> > > Maybe how convoluted some of it can be? That’s all that I can think of that the OP may be referring to.

> >

> > Yes. I'm talking about time gated or rarely dropped items, etc...

>

> Give us a rare drop example in this game for crafting please. A single example!

how about Tattered Bat Wing

> @"FOE.2041" said:

> > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > @"Bane.4103" said:

> > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > > I can understand expensive but what is difficult about crafting?

> > > >

> > > > Maybe how convoluted some of it can be? That’s all that I can think of that the OP may be referring to.

> > >

> > > Yes. I'm talking about time gated or rarely dropped items, etc...

> >

> > Give us a rare drop example in this game for crafting please. A single example!

>

> how about Tattered Bat Wing

OK, now gimme an example of a game -mod that requires you to have that and lets you behind in game. Cutting you from certain content and makes game NOT FUN.

> @"phs.6089" said:

> > @"FOE.2041" said:

> > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > > @"Bane.4103" said:

> > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > > > I can understand expensive but what is difficult about crafting?

> > > > >

> > > > > Maybe how convoluted some of it can be? That’s all that I can think of that the OP may be referring to.

> > > >

> > > > Yes. I'm talking about time gated or rarely dropped items, etc...

> > >

> > > Give us a rare drop example in this game for crafting please. A single example!

> >

> > how about Tattered Bat Wing

>

> OK, now gimme an example of a game -mod that requires you to have that and lets you behind in game. Cutting you from certain content and makes game NOT FUN.

Masteries

Gifts of ...

> @"FOE.2041" said:

> > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > @"FOE.2041" said:

> > > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > > > @"Bane.4103" said:

> > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > > > > I can understand expensive but what is difficult about crafting?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Maybe how convoluted some of it can be? That’s all that I can think of that the OP may be referring to.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yes. I'm talking about time gated or rarely dropped items, etc...

> > > >

> > > > Give us a rare drop example in this game for crafting please. A single example!

> > >

> > > how about Tattered Bat Wing

> >

> > OK, now gimme an example of a game -mod that requires you to have that and lets you behind in game. Cutting you from certain content and makes game NOT FUN.

>

> Masteries

> Gifts of ...

I have maxxed-out masteries and I can make any gift of and I have no idea what a tattered bat wing is.

The price you pay for getting rewarded with in-game wealth no matter what you do.

The crafting system is designed in such a way that it deals and uses the way loot gets distributed in this game. Cost of prestige or convenience items reflects this.

I'm a bit amazed you haven't noticed this since you've been playing since the beginning. I wonder why you haven't noticed how many of these systems were streamlined and especially gear acquisition is easier than ever compared to before. New players are being buried in ascended gear today compared to years ago.

Legendary gear is not meant as means for the masses to circumvent rune and sigil mechanics. You want legendary gear, you put up the cost.

> @"borgs.6103" said:

> > @"FOE.2041" said:

> > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > > @"FOE.2041" said:

> > > > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > > > > @"Bane.4103" said:

> > > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > > > > > I can understand expensive but what is difficult about crafting?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Maybe how convoluted some of it can be? That’s all that I can think of that the OP may be referring to.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Yes. I'm talking about time gated or rarely dropped items, etc...

> > > > >

> > > > > Give us a rare drop example in this game for crafting please. A single example!

> > > >

> > > > how about Tattered Bat Wing

> > >

> > > OK, now gimme an example of a game -mod that requires you to have that and lets you behind in game. Cutting you from certain content and makes game NOT FUN.

> >

> > Masteries

> > Gifts of ...

>

> I have maxxed-out masteries and I can make any gift of and I have no idea what a tattered bat wing is.

it doesnt matter what you CAN make, it matter of WILL you make it

problem is that matts are account bound, and its stupid

i want to craft leggy, but i will need to do pvp to get Gift of Battle, i have 0 interest in pvp and will never do it

therefore im locked out of crafting content, since its easier to just buy leggy off TP, which again is stupid since you cant buy matts but can buy end product, so what is the point in crafting altogether?

> @"FOE.2041" said:

> > @"borgs.6103" said:

> > > @"FOE.2041" said:

> > > > > @"FOE.2041" said:

> > > > > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > > > > > @"Bane.4103" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > > > > > > I can understand expensive but what is difficult about crafting?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Maybe how convoluted some of it can be? That’s all that I can think of that the OP may be referring to.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Yes. I'm talking about time gated or rarely dropped items, etc...

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Give us a rare drop example in this game for crafting please. A single example!

> > > > >

> > > > > how about Tattered Bat Wing

> > > >

> > > > OK, now gimme an example of a game -mod that requires you to have that and lets you behind in game. Cutting you from certain content and makes game NOT FUN.

> > >

> > > Masteries

> > > Gifts of ...

> >

> > I have maxxed-out masteries and I can make any gift of and I have no idea what a tattered bat wing is.

>

> it doesnt matter what you CAN make, it matter of WILL you make it

> problem is that matts are account bound, and its stupid

> i want to craft leggy, but i will need to do pvp to get Gift of Battle, i have 0 interest in pvp and will never do it

> therefore im locked out of crafting content, since its easier to just buy leggy off TP, which again is stupid since you cant buy matts but can buy end product, so what is the point in crafting altogether?

No you don't. Do WvW dailies which do not require to actually pvp. Eventually you will have a Gift of Battle.

Forcing people out of their comfort zone is one of the few things useful about legendary items.

Hence why after the T1 legendary disaster you cann't buy any of the following legendary items. Suffice to say, the T1 legendarys remain the way they are due to market balance reasons on top of cost. Buying a T1 legendary makes you pay for all those account bound materials some one used, which in turn makes him turn a profit on those otherwise useless account bound items.

> @"FOE.2041" said:

> > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > @"FOE.2041" said:

> > > > > @"Bane.4103" said:

> > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > > > > I can understand expensive but what is difficult about crafting?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Maybe how convoluted some of it can be? That’s all that I can think of that the OP may be referring to.

> > > > >

> > > > > Yes. I'm talking about time gated or rarely dropped items, etc...

> > > >

> > > > Give us a rare drop example in this game for crafting please. A single example!

> > >

> > > how about Tattered Bat Wing

> >

> > OK, now gimme an example of a game -mod that requires you to have that and lets you behind in game. Cutting you from certain content and makes game NOT FUN.

>

> Masteries

> Gifts of ...

Which particular game-mod asks you for Masteries and Gift of?

The fackt that you 'want leggy' doesn't make that it's required. Leg is convenient item no BiS.

Ascended has same stats as Leg

Here this might help

you can also stand in wvw your fort wait for a dolyak to be like 50-100 units away from gate, go walk next to it and it will count as participation. Also boosters help

> @"FOE.2041" said:

> > @"borgs.6103" said:

> > > @"FOE.2041" said:

> > > > > @"FOE.2041" said:

> > > > > > @"phs.6089" said:

> > > > > > > @"Bane.4103" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > > > > > > I can understand expensive but what is difficult about crafting?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > Maybe how convoluted some of it can be? That’s all that I can think of that the OP may be referring to.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > Yes. I'm talking about time gated or rarely dropped items, etc...

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Give us a rare drop example in this game for crafting please. A single example!

> > > > >

> > > > > how about Tattered Bat Wing

> > > >

> > > > OK, now gimme an example of a game -mod that requires you to have that and lets you behind in game. Cutting you from certain content and makes game NOT FUN.

> > >

> > > Masteries

> > > Gifts of ...

> >

> > I have maxxed-out masteries and I can make any gift of and I have no idea what a tattered bat wing is.

>

> it doesnt matter what you CAN make, it matter of WILL you make it

> problem is that matts are account bound, and its stupid

> i want to craft leggy, but i will need to do pvp to get Gift of Battle, i have 0 interest in pvp and will never do it

> therefore im locked out of crafting content, since its easier to just buy leggy off TP, which again is stupid since you cant buy matts but can buy end product, so what is the point in crafting altogether?

We'll you don't need to do any pvp. As you can just do the pve dailys in wvw.

What is the problem with leggy gear requiring some pvp tho?

Don't agree with the Fractal thing, i got full ascended gear on my 2 characters (Guardian and Ranger), 147 AR, completed all achievements, and even got the Omnipotion, all that as a f2p with all the restrictions, now i got a Heroic Edition code some time ago in the Tea thing, and my Necro and Warrior are already have ascended armor and weapons, just from the boxes i got when doing T4 Fractals as a full f2p player.

Yeah, it's kinda hard to get into at first (cause of ascended stuff), but it's still one of the easiest "grinds" in the game.