what will be the new big selling point for the next xpact?

Balsa.3951

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"Mea.5491" said:

> > That's what ESO players said but now they love it, especially because it's a free port to a nearby wayshrine + the devs added an option to put extra storage boxes into houses. In other words, there are MANY ways to make housing interesting and useful for every kind of player. Anet is creative enough to make housing unique just like they made mounts unique and more fun than other MMOs! A few years ago not many people wanted mounts in GW2 and now everyone is crazy about them because Anet did it RIGHT and that's why OUR housing would be EPIC too.

>

> Difference between housing and gliding/mounts, it can't be used in actual content. Gliding and mounts help traverse the map, they are an integral part of the gameplay in the new zones. All housing can do to tie into the content is offer trophies and similar crafting materials to add decorations to your home, some extra storage and maybe some free teleports. Housing is useless in combat (unless they give us turtle shells as "houses"!), it's useless in traversing/exploring maps, useless in any form of meaningful gameplay so making housing the selling point of the next expansion would be silly. Housing is more like Guild Halls, a nice to have side feature/activity but not the core new feature of an expansion.

>

> I'd rather we get a complete overhaul of underwater combat, underwater mounts, underwater exploration, in a mostly underwater expansion. But that's probably for expansion 4

Unless they add a crafting system plus quests to get/make specific furnishings.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Vayne.8563" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > Difference between housing and gliding/mounts, it can't be used in actual content. Gliding and mounts help traverse the map, they are an integral part of the gameplay in the new zones. All housing can do to tie into the content is offer trophies and similar crafting materials to add decorations to your home, some extra storage and maybe some free teleports. Housing is useless in combat (unless they give us turtle shells as "houses"!), it's useless in traversing/exploring maps, useless in any form of meaningful gameplay so making housing the selling point of the next expansion would be silly. Housing is more like Guild Halls, a nice to have side feature/activity but not the core new feature of an expansion.

> >

> > I'd rather we get a complete overhaul of underwater combat, underwater mounts, underwater exploration, in a mostly underwater expansion. But that's probably for expansion 4

>

> Unless they add a crafting system plus quests to get/make specific furnishings.

That won't work either unless you actually want those furnishings for whatever reason. Make that statue to progress the story! Make that table to host the next order meeting? Craft a statue to Dwayna to ask her blessing? I don't think that's gonna work very well. You can't really "force" a player to deal with Housing in order to progress the story. Meanwhile, mounts/gliding make your in-game life easier nearly everywhere and are essential in playing the game. They are used to get to specific places that you can't go otherwise, to complete maps, to fight raid bosses, to finish world events and of course to finish the actual story of the expansion.

For underwater expansions, we have two easy ones lined up (they could do DSD then krait threat I think for 2 sea xpacs). There’s underwater rework including underwater mounts, and then there’s ship combat and upgrading.

For land based expansions, we have housing, fishing, new weapon types, and new raceas the main options

I really hope for airship aerial fights, and fights in the ocean perhaps on a ship. It'd be amazing if they add those sort of fights in WvW. I think Anet can pull off something like this given half the features are already there, and that they did such an amazing job with mounts. I'd also like housing. I get it, not everyone wants it so I put it a second priority. Although it seems unlikely, I'd also like a new class or a new race.

I'd be getting the new expansion anyway :P

> @"Dami.5046" said:

> Alliance battles back and of course the return of Fort Aspenwood/jade quarry with the timed mini missions dotted around. Oh and I wanna be a Kurzick again.

> Don't understand If cantha is such an issue why it was allowed in the first place.

From the [wiki](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Crown_Pavilion "wiki"):

At one point during development, this area was originally a completed Canthan district and included a blend of Asian architectures. However, this mix of styles received negative feedback from China and Korea, since those gaming markets traditionally prefer a uniform design. Due to time constraints the district was replaced by the Great Collapse.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Dami.5046" said:

> > Alliance battles back and of course the return of Fort Aspenwood/jade quarry with the timed mini missions dotted around. Oh and I wanna be a Kurzick again.

> > Don't understand If cantha is such an issue why it was allowed in the first place.

>

> From the [wiki](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Crown_Pavilion "wiki"):

> At one point during development, this area was originally a completed Canthan district and included a blend of Asian architectures. However, this mix of styles received negative feedback from China and Korea, since those gaming markets traditionally prefer a uniform design. Due to time constraints the district was replaced by the Great Collapse.

Yes I know the quote from the wiki. thanks. I am also aware it was said at the start there were no plans to do Cantha in game.

so thanks again.

I know it won't be the big thing, but I want a chance to spend time with my companions outside of save the world scenarios. Let me help Taimi with her experiments that don't deal directly with dragons. let me spend time with Braham as he works to make his own legend. I want to have an insult off with Canache. This could be something that is more living world, where every now and then one of your friends wants to do something in the world. Maybe one day they all want to get together and have a pint. This would also be something that lets anet do things between major patches. It could allow us to set up our own interactions with the other npcs.

I find it funny how housing is so divisive. Reminds me of the threads on mounts...a lot. Prior to PoF's announcement there were very long threads about mounts and how they would ruin the game and blah blah blah...Seems the same for housing.

I don't want housing to be the main focus of the next expansion...but a part? Yes, absolutely. The player home instance is a wasted space. The tech already exists in game with a skill (scribing) for making home decorations and trophies. ANet just needs to pull the trigger. The Hall of Monuments even exists in Game in a ruined state...how about we repair it?

At any rate, the main feature needs to be story and content...not just some gimmick. I personally would like to go to Cantha since that was such a huge part of the GW2 mythos, but really any direction would be fine...Tyria is a big place.

X-Pac3 will have "polymock battle" as it's main selling point.

- The story will have you transform yourself into various mobs subrace (easy it can already be done in various PvE minigame/event) with their own awfull skillsets to thread throught some part of the story,

- the masteries will make some of the transform's skills work better in specific environments/situations,

- Rata sum will open the polymock arenas where you'll fight transformed in one of those.

- Obviously, the cashshop will allow you to chose (buy) some color/outfit themes (with a rng factor) for your favourite transform state (Not that hard since they are able to do it for the mounts).

Ugh... It's so realist I'm getting goosebump...

A new extension would require:

1- A bunch of 5 new big maps to explore

2- New masteries (The great quality of life addition of the extension)

3- A solid story linked to current events in Tyria (to Living world seasons) (Sylvari based for HoT, Human for PoF)

I have 2 possible paths to offer:

1- Deep Sea Dragon, mostly coastal/beach and ocean maps, new masteries helping you to perform several things underwater: destroy boulders, use water streams, boats, dive and swim faster, a better solution than swim infusion that prevent peoples without ascended to have boost.

Story: With the help of the priory and the vigil, we investigate mysterious rumors coming from the unending ocean, and meet several largos cities under siege of DSD minions. The pact developed huge high-tech submarines to defend as much citizens as they can, from largos to quaggans and some hyleks.

(No main race based)

2- Primordius, mostly cave/underground maps under mountain chains, new masteries helping you to dig at some marked locations to access secret underground rooms + Ability to use charr and asuran weaponry anywhere in those maps to defend reconquered lost asuran cities: giant golems, charr tanks...

Story: After "beating" kralk, things are getting worst and primordius is awaken again and need to be stopped, asuras claiming their revenges and starting developing reinforced weaponry to reclaim their legacies (lost cities in depths of tyria) to rebuild them, better than ever (due to the fact that sylvaris got their by killing mordremoth, human too with zhaitan). In your journey you will also find priory members investigating on those ruins and dwarves.

(Asuras and Charrs based)

From what the OP said about flying mounts, yes it would be a selling point. But it would be a terrible decision.

It reduces the actual game world even more, we already have way points, flying isn't necessary.

Plus the impact it would most likely have on the gaming experience of newer players would be far more then anyone expects, just look at how a new player can't do certain events because the mobs get one shot by mounted players. (I'd expect flying mounts to have similar abilities) .

Having played WoW without flying mounts for a long time, the first time they were introduced it was fun, but they turned into tools for easy use, skipping over content created by the developers. Flying mounts can really break a lot in the game. It's up to Arena net to decide whether the want convenience or immersion.

Ok, 1 I will stand by flying mounts being infinitely better than excessive teleporting. 2, since wildstar got shut down MMOs need another good housing system to fill that void. (also anet can monetize the everloving crap out of it which we all know they like to do. cough cough 99% of glider skins are cash shop, cough cough 100% of mount skins are cash shop)

> @"Roda.7468" said:

> Ok, 1 I will stand by flying mounts being infinitely better than excessive teleporting. 2, since wildstar got shut down MMOs need another good housing system to fill that void. (also anet can monetize the everloving kitten out of it which we all know they like to do. cough cough 99% of glider skins are cash shop, cough cough 100% of mount skins are cash shop)

A.) theyd have to change all maps to stop people from breaking out of maps by flying thats alot of work to do.

B.) As much as i was against mounts i find myself using teleporters less and less because of them(why waste money when i can run there in the same amount of time a loading screen takes.)

C.) MMOs dont *need* a new housing system, just like they dont *need* mounts, using a housing system just to draw players into the game that had no interest in the game and having it as the *main* attraction of an expansion is just a terrible idea imo, a side thing yes.