Gem store : I'd pay more for armor sets than for outfits

Aodlop.1907

Because I don't pay for outfits at all, never purchased one. I don't buy outfits because I enjoy being able to customize my gear, hide items, and make combinations.

If you don't want to sell armor sets at the same price as the previous ones, fine. Make them more expensive, as long you make them. I'd pay for it, or I'd farm for it.

I really don't like outfits. Can you please start making armor sets again ? Even if you make them more expensive ?

Thanks. <3

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> Because I don't pay for outfits at all, never purchased one. I don't buy outfits because I enjoy being able to customize my gear, hide items, and make combinations.

> If you don't want to sell armor sets at the same price as the previous ones, fine. Make them more expensive, as long you make them. I'd pay for it, or I'd farm for it.

> I really don't like outfits. Can you please start making armor sets again ? Even if you make them more expensive ?

> Thanks. <3

Are you willing to pay 5000 gems for a new armor set? ANet's implied that it takes 8-9x more effort to produce armor sets: there are multiple weights, more variations of dye channels, the pieces have to mix & match with other skins of the same weight, and so on. People already balk at paying 2k for premium MountFits. It seems unlikely that ANet would be able to price armor sets high enough to significantly increase the rate at which they are released.

So arenanet made the decision that outfits will be in the gemstore, wile armor skins will be a exclusive in game rewards. So I don't see your problem. Don't you like getting armor skins for free? Especially as people like you benefit the most from this decision you can completely skip on the gemstore and don't pay anything and still get every armor skin there is. (with a few exception of armor skins introduced before this decision)

And as already mentioned, armor needs a significant longer time to be made. If they become a paid gemstone feature, they won't be magically faster in creating them. So the current compromise looks rather good to me.

Adding things to the gemstore that have stats attached to them in the case of armor/weapons, is a long and slippery road to a pay to win game. Currently, Guild Wars isn't pay to win. It's pay to cosmetic, which is fine. You really don't want a pay to win system where armor is on the store. It ruins games. Unless you want the sets to be like skins?

Ooh, I have an idea:

1. Revert all outfits back to mix and match armor.

2. Release only one armor artwork set that can be worn by all professions (because with outfits, even a mage can wear heavy armor, so I guess armor weight class segregation is pretty much arbitrary at this point, lol).

3. Screw clipping issue complaints, because if people insist on having random armor pieces together, it's really their responsibility to choose suitable looking pieces, anyway.

4. One issue I can probably see is that when Anet releases a one piece suit (eg like the Gem Armor outfit, where the shoulder+top+bottom+shoes are a seamless one piece). So in order to maintain the seamless look, the entire armor is given as just a chest piece. This will of course mean that if your existing skirt, epaulets, etc will clip through the full chest piece. Normally, this means you'd have to remove your pants, but perhaps to work around this, Anet can allow all armor pieces to be toggled on and off at will (is this making sense, lol?)

5. I have no idea if this will affect dye channels.

Honestly, I don't really care for mix and match armor as I'm lazy and I think Anet's artists usually give pretty well designed armor sets in the first place. But maybe this could be a compromise?

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > Because I don't pay for outfits at all, never purchased one. I don't buy outfits because I enjoy being able to customize my gear, hide items, and make combinations.

> > If you don't want to sell armor sets at the same price as the previous ones, fine. Make them more expensive, as long you make them. I'd pay for it, or I'd farm for it.

> > I really don't like outfits. Can you please start making armor sets again ? Even if you make them more expensive ?

> > Thanks. <3

>

> Are you willing to pay 5000 gems for a new armor set? ANet's implied that it takes 8-9x more effort to produce armor sets: there are multiple weights, more variations of dye channels, the pieces have to mix & match with other skins of the same weight, and so on. People already balk at paying 2k for premium MountFits. It seems unlikely that ANet would be able to price armor sets high enough to significantly increase the rate at which they are released.

If you want to look at it in that way then the question should be - why are we paying 800 gems for outfits that require 8-9x less work than armor sets and all armor sets are 800 gems from the game beggining?

I'd also prefer more armors, outfits are so NOT unique, makes you feel like army of clones. If you could at least use helmet skins with outfits, maybe it would be a little better.

> @"Kas.3509" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > Because I don't pay for outfits at all, never purchased one. I don't buy outfits because I enjoy being able to customize my gear, hide items, and make combinations.

> > > If you don't want to sell armor sets at the same price as the previous ones, fine. Make them more expensive, as long you make them. I'd pay for it, or I'd farm for it.

> > > I really don't like outfits. Can you please start making armor sets again ? Even if you make them more expensive ?

> > > Thanks. <3

> >

> > Are you willing to pay 5000 gems for a new armor set? ANet's implied that it takes 8-9x more effort to produce armor sets: there are multiple weights, more variations of dye channels, the pieces have to mix & match with other skins of the same weight, and so on. People already balk at paying 2k for premium MountFits. It seems unlikely that ANet would be able to price armor sets high enough to significantly increase the rate at which they are released.

>

>

> If you want to look at it in that way then the question should be - why are we paying 800 gems for outfits that require 8-9x less work than armor sets and all armor sets are 800 gems from the game beggining?

>

> I'd also prefer more armors, outfits are so NOT unique, makes you feel like army of clones. If you could at least use helmet skins with outfits, maybe it would be a little better.

>

Well, wouldn’t we all like more armors. However since it takes a certain amount of time to create armor and only so many get made per year the real question is whether it would be better to have some of those armors be gemstore instead of in game.

_________

It appears that some people think that if some are sold in the gemstore that additional armors will still be available ingame but unless they have more people making armor (and diverting resources and money away from other things) then that’s not going to happen.

> @"Heraldusluminare.2946" said:

> Honestly, I don't really care for mix and match armor as I'm lazy and I think Anet's artists usually give pretty well designed armor sets in the first place. But maybe this could be a compromise?

There are many who do care for mix and match armor (evidenced, I believe, by the many threads that continually crop up on the armor vs outfits argument).

So are you asking them to put future armour sets which would be released in-game (like the Elegy and Requiem sets released with A Star to Guide Us and the various sets released with PoF) into the gem store instead?

Or does this idea work on the assumption that as well as the sets released in-game there will be others released in the gem store, at the same rate they currently release outfits?

Because the first one will not be popular, especially considering they stopped making new gem store armour because so many people complained that they wanted to earn it in-game instead of pay for it. But the second one is unfortunately not realistic, due to the amount of time it takes them to make armour and the fact that the same artists who work on those make all the other stuff in the game so they can't just focus on armour.

> @"Heraldusluminare.2946" said:

> Ooh, I have an idea:

>

> 1. Revert all outfits back to mix and match armor.

> 2. Release only one armor artwork set that can be worn by all professions (because with outfits, even a mage can wear heavy armor, so I guess armor weight class segregation is pretty much arbitrary at this point, lol).

> 3. Screw clipping issue complaints, because if people insist on having random armor pieces together, it's really their responsibility to choose suitable looking pieces, anyway.

> 4. One issue I can probably see is that when Anet releases a one piece suit (eg like the Gem Armor outfit, where the shoulder+top+bottom+shoes are a seamless one piece). So in order to maintain the seamless look, the entire armor is given as just a chest piece. This will of course mean that if your existing skirt, epaulets, etc will clip through the full chest piece. Normally, this means you'd have to remove your pants, but perhaps to work around this, Anet can allow all armor pieces to be toggled on and off at will (is this making sense, lol?)

> 5. I have no idea if this will affect dye channels.

>

> Honestly, I don't really care for mix and match armor as I'm lazy and I think Anet's artists usually give pretty well designed armor sets in the first place. But maybe this could be a compromise?

Except there is no option to 'revert all Outfits to armor sets'. Outfits are a 4th armor weight, and can't be mixed. To do this, the Devs would have to create new armor sets that look just like the existing Outfits, and no time or resources would be saved, except maybe the concept art.

> @"Kas.3509" said:

> If you want to look at it in that way then the question should be - why are we paying 800 gems for outfits that require 8-9x less work than armor sets and all armor sets are 800 gems from the game beggining?

Sure, there's nothing magic about 700 gems (not 800), the standard price for Outfits. We don't know how ANet determines that price. We do know they'll use their own data and industry metrics and predictions of people's willingness to pay and so forth. Put all together, we know that it mostly isn't worth ANet's time to sell most skins at much less than 400 gems, so there's a good chance that ANet picked 700 because enough people are willing to pay that amount.

If Outfits sold at 400, then armor sets would need to sell at 3k+ to accommodate the OP's suggestion. That's still a non-starter for this community.

> I'd also prefer more armors,

I don't think there's anyone who thinks that the current mix of Outfits & Armor Sets is perfect, not even ANet. We'd all like to see more.

> outfits are so NOT unique, makes you feel like army of clones.

Actually, I rarely see a lot of people who make me feel like a clone, outfit or not. I felt more like a clone during the first year of the game, because there just weren't that many options around. These days, there are so, so many options that any particular one never seems all that common.

> If you could at least use helmet skins with outfits, maybe it would be a little better.

The thing that makes outfits cheaper is that they cannot be mixed and matched. They are a "fifth" weight of skins (light|medium|heavy, plus the now-defunct town clothes). (Or they'd have to completely overhaul the system to make it possible. I'm not against that, since it would allow them to address other issues, but one senior dev lead has said that's the sort of decision that gets made when developing a new game; it's not something that it's realistic to change later.)

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> They’ve said that it takes several months to make a full set for 3 weights, 5 races and 2 sexes. That means they can’t easily increase the rate of production. Would it still be a good idea to sell gemstore armor sets if it meant that there would be that many less ingame armors to get?

Did they specifically state that for gemstore or the game in general? Iirc it was mentioned about ingame rewards around the time of se3 or right before when ppl brought up the carapace set.

Anet is reallt resourceful when what they do is charged.

> @"Mithos.9023" said:

> So arenanet made the decision that outfits will be in the gemstore, wile armor skins will be a exclusive in game rewards. So I don't see your problem. Don't you like getting armor skins for free? Especially as people like you benefit the most from this decision you can completely skip on the gemstore and don't pay anything and still get every armor skin there is. (with a few exception of armor skins introduced before this decision)

> And as already mentioned, armor needs a significant longer time to be made. If they become a paid gemstone feature, they won't be magically faster in creating them. So the current compromise looks rather good to me.

They didnt really, they just moved away fro armors for x or y reason. Armors in game didnt get dropped faster or anything it is until now that we started seeing armors outside expansions. Actuall free armors in game.

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> @ armor weight

>

> You can't mix them but nothing stops A-Net from using the "4th armor weight class" as a base for new cosmetic armor sets (just call it "customizable outfits" or whatever). /done

If I read this correctly, you're suggesting ANet break outfits up into the various pieces (gloves, chest, etc.), but only allow players to mix and match across all such outfit pieces. Even that would make producing outfits more work, and thus more expensive to buy. It would also be unlikely to appease players who want to mix outfit and armor pieces to get unique looks.

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> @ armor weight

>

> You can't mix them but nothing stops A-Net from using the "4th armor weight class" as a base for new cosmetic armor sets (just call it "customizable outfits" or whatever). /done

You really think that something like that has never occurred to them? They'd have to create a new weight that allows mix & match and ignores profession type. All new armor could go into that category, but then none of it would be mix & match with heavy, medium, light, or outfits (nor with town clothes, that are no longer available to us in game).

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > They’ve said that it takes several months to make a full set for 3 weights, 5 races and 2 sexes. That means they can’t easily increase the rate of production. Would it still be a good idea to sell gemstore armor sets if it meant that there would be that many less ingame armors to get?

>

> Did they specifically state that for gemstore or the game in general? Iirc it was mentioned about ingame rewards around the time of se3 or right before when ppl brought up the carapace set.

>

> Anet is reallt resourceful when what they do is charged.

They said it takes them about 3 months to make one weight for 5 races and 2 sexes. They didn’t differentiate between gemstore and ingame armor when they said that.

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"Mithos.9023" said:

> > So arenanet made the decision that outfits will be in the gemstore, wile armor skins will be a exclusive in game rewards. So I don't see your problem. Don't you like getting armor skins for free? Especially as people like you benefit the most from this decision you can completely skip on the gemstore and don't pay anything and still get every armor skin there is. (with a few exception of armor skins introduced before this decision)

> > And as already mentioned, armor needs a significant longer time to be made. If they become a paid gemstone feature, they won't be magically faster in creating them. So the current compromise looks rather good to me.

>

> They didnt really, they just moved away fro armors for x or y reason. Armors in game didnt get dropped faster or anything it is until now that we started seeing armors outside expansions. Actuall free armors in game.

They did really make the decision to stop putting new armor sets in the gemstore and making them in game rewards.

>[Hidden Arcana](http://dulfy.net/2015/05/28/gw2-hidden-arcanadeveloper-spotlight-on-crystin-cox/)

>During Living World Season 2, Crystin took charge of a new team that was organized to improve in-game rewards in Guild Wars 2. Previously, no single dedicated team handled in-game rewards, and individual content teams were responsible for deciding how players would be rewarded. Crystin felt there should be a greater balance between Gem Store item offerings and in-game rewards, and she and the rewards and commerce teams have worked on creating a clear division so that items will fit their method of distribution. For example, **armor sets are now exclusively designed as in-game rewards while outfits are primarily Gem Store offerings.**

> @"Kas.3509" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Aodlop.1907" said:

> > > Because I don't pay for outfits at all, never purchased one. I don't buy outfits because I enjoy being able to customize my gear, hide items, and make combinations.

> > > If you don't want to sell armor sets at the same price as the previous ones, fine. Make them more expensive, as long you make them. I'd pay for it, or I'd farm for it.

> > > I really don't like outfits. Can you please start making armor sets again ? Even if you make them more expensive ?

> > > Thanks. <3

> >

> > Are you willing to pay 5000 gems for a new armor set? ANet's implied that it takes 8-9x more effort to produce armor sets: there are multiple weights, more variations of dye channels, the pieces have to mix & match with other skins of the same weight, and so on. People already balk at paying 2k for premium MountFits. It seems unlikely that ANet would be able to price armor sets high enough to significantly increase the rate at which they are released.

>

>

>

> I'd also prefer more armors, outfits are so NOT unique, makes you feel like army of clones. If you could at least use helmet skins with outfits, maybe it would be a little better.

>

I'd contest the notion that outfits are not unique. How are they not? How many armor options exist that look like one seamless piece of armor/suit? Most armor looks like it's a jumbled of pieces that vaguely resemble a theme. By the logic that there are MORE jumbled together looks than seamless looks, that already makes it more unique.

Well they should make armor sets that work and are designed for specific races. Now most of the time the Norn, Sylvari, and Human models can use similar armor, but the Asuran or Charr should be separate in design. Point of this is not to worry about other races and rotate which race gets new armor. Kinda like Cultural armor only in the gem store for purchase. Gloves, hat, and boots are already available separately Why not Leggings and coats too. In Guildwars they did not make armor by weight if you were an Ele you could only use Ele armor there were several designs from different towns and outposts. You could also mix and match each item.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > @ armor weight

> >

> > You can't mix them but nothing stops A-Net from using the "4th armor weight class" as a base for new cosmetic armor sets (just call it "customizable outfits" or whatever). /done

>

> You really think that something like that has never occurred to them? They'd have to create a new weight that allows mix & match and ignores profession type. All new armor could go into that category, but then none of it would be mix & match with heavy, medium, light, or outfits (nor with town clothes, that are no longer available to us in game).

>

>

Like the skins fom lw?