Suggestion: Replace Black Lion Chests&Keys with...

Ari.4023

... a Season Pass. I think you already realize what I am suggesting but lets clarify for those who don't know. If you've at least seen how the game Fortnite works you know of this Battle Pass they have there, yet it was in Starcraft 2 where this idea was first implemented in the form of the War Chest.

Both of those games are like night and day when compared to Guild Wars 2, completely diffrent genres. However, their form of gaining premium loot is a far superior one to the gambling loot boxes that are Black Lion Chests. Lets go into more detail as to how this method could work.

You buy the pass and then unlock a special reward path that works like a Mastery, meaning you earn EXP to gain progress on it. Therefore any gamemode where you earn EXP will earn you progress on this path. In sPvP you don't earn EXP so maybe you could earn potions there that contribute towards the path, it should be progressable in all modes after all.

The reward path will include things you can earn in Black Lion Chests now, divided by tiers, with the higher tiers awarding the better rewards. You can earn your way through the path, or you can buy tiers with gems to speed things up.

Certain rewards could still be loot boxes of a sort, like a "Permanent Something Box" that will contain one of the permanent contracts at random, at the higher tiers of course. Random Wardrobe unlocks are also such things.

----------

Consider this, how many buy black lion keys? How many would buy this Season Pass if it was implemented?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know why we dont pay say $10-15 for a year long (or whatever is deemed a "season") pass in GW2?

Because we pay $30-50 for an expansion that last several years.

Arguing we need a season pass is silly - we already paid for the "season pass". Living story is part of the expansion.

@"Dawdler.8521" The name "Season Pass" might be wrong, since this isn't game content you're paying for but extra premium rewards unrelated to the story. It's really no diffrent than the current black lion keys.

@"Khisanth.2948" If you read it all you can see that you can just pay gems to buy tiers if you prefer it that way.

@"Inculpatus cedo.9234" Then in WvW as well there will be potions earned to make progress on it. Not sure how much WXP equals in EXP amount-wise.

As for the price, yes it would be purchasable with gems and therefore gold-to-gems as well. No diffrent than keys are right now.

@"Elspereth.1280" So you can farm the gold to buy this pass rather than farm keys.

-----

This method, from what I hear, is very profitable for the companies running it. It is extremely popular among their playerbase.

Battlepass is great, i approve that idea.

Idea of Battlepass is that you buy it, and you get list of reward tiers.

Some people compared it to reward tracks - yes and no.

Key difference - rewards in battlepass are better, they give you skins, toys, trail effects when you falling etc etc

To get tier-up's you need to get stars, 10 stars = 1 battlepass tier.

You get stars by completing challenges (which are releasing weekly, 7 challenges every week, ranging from Easy (5 stars) and Hard (10 stars)

Challenges are fun, there are a variety, from finding battlestar on the map, which will only show up if you stay near it (challenge says like "find star between 3 ski lodges) to dance battle (there is dancefloor somewhere and you need to play dance battle with another player) to more generic once (kill with smgs, shotguns etc etc)

Also you get stars from lvling up, and from completing daily challenges

As a person who spent on lootboxes more then i wanted i really enjoy to use battlepass, key difference - you get all the stuff inside you buy by playing, it is not that hard.

And also there is an option just flat buy the whole battlepass, it will be more expensive, but if you have lots of money, why not?

Also near the end they usually sell 10-battlepass tiers bundle, one-time purchase.

> @"Dawdler.8521" said:

> Do you know why we dont pay say $10-15 for a year long (or whatever is deemed a "season") pass in GW2?

>

> Because we pay $30-50 for an expansion that last several years.

>

> Arguing we need a season pass is silly - we already paid for the "season pass". Living story is part of the expansion.

Battlepass is not paying for the story, it is mainly paying for the cosmetics and for challenging way to get them.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> Less than the number of keys which would average out to greater than 0 but less than 1.

>

> Paying AND grinding for an item sounds awful. The deal was spend money or spend time not both.

It is nothing like grind. I complete all challenges from 1 week playing withing 2 days, 4 hours a day max, soo.

> @"Cherdakuru.5841" said:

> > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > Why does everyone who has this idea start a new thread and act like it's the first time it has been brought up on these forums?

> This problem deserve more topics actually.

You're so right.

We also need new threads on the following topics:

DPS meters

Armor sets vs outfits

The fact that "No one does serpents ire"

Dungeon reworks

The fact that a Gift of Battle must be earned in WvW.

> @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > @"Cherdakuru.5841" said:

> > > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > Why does everyone who has this idea start a new thread and act like it's the first time it has been brought up on these forums?

> > This problem deserve more topics actually.

> You're so right.

>

> We also need new threads on the following topics:

> DPS meters

> Armor sets vs outfits

> The fact that "No one does serpents ire"

> Dungeon reworks

> The fact that a Gift of Battle must be earned in WvW.

>

From topics you mentioned i really think that "Armor sets vs outfits" is number 2.

By the way, thank you for reminder!

> @"Cherdakuru.5841" said:

> > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > Why does everyone who has this idea start a new thread and act like it's the first time it has been brought up on these forums?

> This problem deserve more topics actually.

Which is actually against the CoC

Examples of Content that May Receive a Notice:

Duplicate posts

Posts that quote removed content

Necro-posts (comments in an obsolete thread)

Posts that are off-topic, derailing, "bumps," etc.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Cherdakuru.5841" said:

> > > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > > Why does everyone who has this idea start a new thread and act like it's the first time it has been brought up on these forums?

> > This problem deserve more topics actually.

>

> Which is actually against the CoC

>

> Examples of Content that May Receive a Notice:

>

> Duplicate posts

> Posts that quote removed content

> Necro-posts (comments in an obsolete thread)

> Posts that are off-topic, derailing, "bumps," etc.

>

Please name the reason? I read it. Don't see how it fit any of those categories

> Posts that are off-topic, derailing, "bumps," etc.

Kinda looks like your posts right now, just saying.

> @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> Why does everyone who has this idea start a new thread and act like it's the first time it has been brought up on these forums?

The fact that I did not find such a thread before I made mine shows it's required for this topic. People do that by the way, its inevitable.

> @"Ari.4023" said:

> > Posts that are off-topic, derailing, "bumps," etc.

> Kinda looks like your posts right now, just saying.

I can say that about answers in my threads the same, because the main goal of those threads, ideally, it to theorize about how could it all be changed.

And all i get is - nonono don't touch my game all is fine don't brake things that already work.

It would be great to see another suggestions, but there are none, just fans furiously defending for the sake of defending.

Situation is not uncommon and understandable, but feels sad.

> @"Ari.4023" said:

> @"Raknar.4735": Seems to me like you don't plan on buying much in the first place. Why would that discourage you?

That's a pretty overused response to a statement like mine. I've already bought a lot from the gemstore, also ultimate editions for every expansion.

Paying for something that are basically "quests with rewards", instead of just directly getting the reward sounds like a useless extra step to me.

Season passes are only there to make players spend more time in a game, grinding out the rewards, even though the way to get the items isn't fun.

If Arenanet adds season passes, they won't replace lootboxes, it will just be another payment system alongside them.

If i want to buy something in a store, i can just bring it to the counter and buy it. I don't have to do extra things like bringing the cashier 10 apples or sitting down 5 times in a store.

> @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > @"Ari.4023" said:

> > @"Raknar.4735": Seems to me like you don't plan on buying much in the first place. Why would that discourage you?

>

> That's a pretty overused response to a statement like mine. I've already bought a lot from the gemstore, also ultimate editions for every expansion.

> Paying for something that are basically "quests with rewards", instead of just directly getting the reward sounds like a useless extra step to me.

> Season passes are only there to make players spend more time in a game, grinding out the rewards, even though the way to get the items isn't fun.

> If Arenanet adds season passes, they won't replace lootboxes, it will just be another payment system alongside them.

>

> If i want to buy something in a store, i can just bring it to the counter and buy it. I don't have to do extra things like bringing the cashier 10 apples or sitting down 5 times in a store.

That is nothing like grinding, usually you doing things you always do or do some fun activities.

As i mentioned above.