Suggestion: Replace Black Lion Chests&Keys with...

Ari.4023

> @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > @"Ari.4023" said:

> > @"Raknar.4735": Seems to me like you don't plan on buying much in the first place. Why would that discourage you?

>

> That's a pretty overused response to a statement like mine. I've already bought a lot from the gemstore, also ultimate editions for every expansion.

> Paying for something that are basically "quests with rewards", instead of just directly getting the reward sounds like a useless extra step to me.

> Season passes are only there to make players spend more time in a game, grinding out the rewards, even though the way to get the items isn't fun.

> If Arenanet adds season passes, they won't replace lootboxes, it will just be another payment system alongside them.

>

> If i want to buy something in a store, i can just bring it to the counter and buy it. I don't have to do extra things like bringing the cashier 10 apples or sitting down 5 times in a store.

And usually you have and option to buy it all at once, if you don't want, that's your way, you know, if you don't want to play the game

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Cherdakuru.5841" said:

> > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > @"Ari.4023" said:

> > > @"Raknar.4735": Seems to me like you don't plan on buying much in the first place. Why would that discourage you?

> >

> > That's a pretty overused response to a statement like mine. I've already bought a lot from the gemstore, also ultimate editions for every expansion.

> > Paying for something that are basically "quests with rewards", instead of just directly getting the reward sounds like a useless extra step to me.

> > Season passes are only there to make players spend more time in a game, grinding out the rewards, even though the way to get the items isn't fun.

> > If Arenanet adds season passes, they won't replace lootboxes, it will just be another payment system alongside them.

> >

> > If i want to buy something in a store, i can just bring it to the counter and buy it. I don't have to do extra things like bringing the cashier 10 apples or sitting down 5 times in a store.

>

> That is nothing like grinding, usually you doing things you always do or do some fun activities.

> As i mentioned above.

The things you mentioned above sound like grinding to me, not fun activities. Daily challenges? Forcing players to log in daily and do things doesn't sound like fun to me, that would be a chore after just 3 days.

> @"Ari.4023" said:

> Consider this, how many buy black lion keys? How many would buy this Season Pass if it was implemented?

The gold:gem ratio spikes 15-25% any time that BL keys go on sale by even 10%. There is rarely a noteworthy change any time some sort of bundle goes on sale (unless it contains something that, by itself, spikes the rate).

That suggests that there are more than a few people who **love** the RNG aspect of lootboxes and relatively few who want _all_ the items/skins that ANet releases. In other words, based on the limited data we have as players, fewer are likely to spend on a so-called Season Pass, at least if it's just serving as a straight-up replacement for BL keys.

I think people who are against loot boxes, for whatever reason, regardless of how innocuous they are _in this game_ are better off just telling ANet that. Specific suggestions aren't likely to be welcomed with open arms, because (a) some like lootboxes, (b) someone will always be able to point out holes, and © lots of people simply won't care enough to comment.

In contrast, respectful posts (that avoid hyperbole) that criticize the practice ... those get a lot of positive feedback.

> @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > @"Cherdakuru.5841" said:

> > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > @"Ari.4023" said:

> > > > @"Raknar.4735": Seems to me like you don't plan on buying much in the first place. Why would that discourage you?

> > >

> > > That's a pretty overused response to a statement like mine. I've already bought a lot from the gemstore, also ultimate editions for every expansion.

> > > Paying for something that are basically "quests with rewards", instead of just directly getting the reward sounds like a useless extra step to me.

> > > Season passes are only there to make players spend more time in a game, grinding out the rewards, even though the way to get the items isn't fun.

> > > If Arenanet adds season passes, they won't replace lootboxes, it will just be another payment system alongside them.

> > >

> > > If i want to buy something in a store, i can just bring it to the counter and buy it. I don't have to do extra things like bringing the cashier 10 apples or sitting down 5 times in a store.

> >

> > That is nothing like grinding, usually you doing things you always do or do some fun activities.

> > As i mentioned above.

>

> The things you mentioned above sound like grinding to me, not fun activities. Daily challenges? Forcing players to log in daily and do things doesn't sound like fun to me, that would be a chore after just 3 days.

Oh come on, stop acting, like we don't have daily achievements in Guild Wars 2 already :)

Those daily challenges usually are very easy to do and you can complete them like in 20 minutes

About weekly challenges - i spent 4 hours i guess, and i'm not even good at game, i'm casual

> > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > @"Cherdakuru.5841" said:

> > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > @"Ari.4023" said:

> > > > > @"Raknar.4735": Seems to me like you don't plan on buying much in the first place. Why would that discourage you?

> > > >

> > > > That's a pretty overused response to a statement like mine. I've already bought a lot from the gemstore, also ultimate editions for every expansion.

> > > > Paying for something that are basically "quests with rewards", instead of just directly getting the reward sounds like a useless extra step to me.

> > > > Season passes are only there to make players spend more time in a game, grinding out the rewards, even though the way to get the items isn't fun.

> > > > If Arenanet adds season passes, they won't replace lootboxes, it will just be another payment system alongside them.

> > > >

> > > > If i want to buy something in a store, i can just bring it to the counter and buy it. I don't have to do extra things like bringing the cashier 10 apples or sitting down 5 times in a store.

> > >

> > > That is nothing like grinding, usually you doing things you always do or do some fun activities.

> > > As i mentioned above.

> >

> > The things you mentioned above sound like grinding to me, not fun activities. Daily challenges? Forcing players to log in daily and do things doesn't sound like fun to me, that would be a chore after just 3 days.

>

> Oh come on, stop acting, like we don't have daily achievements in Guild Wars 2 already :)

> Those daily challenges usually are very easy to do and you can complete them like in 20 minutes

> About weekly challenges - i spent 4 hours i guess, and i'm not even good at game, i'm casual

I'm not acting, i know we already have daily achievements in GW2.

I also don't have to pay to be even allowed to do them.

They aren't only available for a limited time period.

And i'm not forced to do them every day, that's why i don't.

> @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > @"Cherdakuru.5841" said:

> > > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > @"Ari.4023" said:

> > > > > > @"Raknar.4735": Seems to me like you don't plan on buying much in the first place. Why would that discourage you?

> > > > >

> > > > > That's a pretty overused response to a statement like mine. I've already bought a lot from the gemstore, also ultimate editions for every expansion.

> > > > > Paying for something that are basically "quests with rewards", instead of just directly getting the reward sounds like a useless extra step to me.

> > > > > Season passes are only there to make players spend more time in a game, grinding out the rewards, even though the way to get the items isn't fun.

> > > > > If Arenanet adds season passes, they won't replace lootboxes, it will just be another payment system alongside them.

> > > > >

> > > > > If i want to buy something in a store, i can just bring it to the counter and buy it. I don't have to do extra things like bringing the cashier 10 apples or sitting down 5 times in a store.

> > > >

> > > > That is nothing like grinding, usually you doing things you always do or do some fun activities.

> > > > As i mentioned above.

> > >

> > > The things you mentioned above sound like grinding to me, not fun activities. Daily challenges? Forcing players to log in daily and do things doesn't sound like fun to me, that would be a chore after just 3 days.

> >

> > Oh come on, stop acting, like we don't have daily achievements in Guild Wars 2 already :)

> > Those daily challenges usually are very easy to do and you can complete them like in 20 minutes

> > About weekly challenges - i spent 4 hours i guess, and i'm not even good at game, i'm casual

>

> I'm not acting, i know we already have daily achievements in GW2.

> I also don't have to pay to be even allowed to do them.

> They aren't only available for a limited time period.

> And i'm not forced to do them every day, that's why i don't.

Yep, i would like that game to be completely free

But it is a miracle

And you have to pay for the new content to get it, dev's must have their money to eat and all

Also if you buy the whole battlepass just for the cosmetics you will do the great thing, because it surely be more expensive, but yo, more money they have more content they make!

> > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > @"Ari.4023" said:

> > > @"Raknar.4735": Seems to me like you don't plan on buying much in the first place. Why would that discourage you?

> >

> > That's a pretty overused response to a statement like mine. I've already bought a lot from the gemstore, also ultimate editions for every expansion.

> > Paying for something that are basically "quests with rewards", instead of just directly getting the reward sounds like a useless extra step to me.

> > Season passes are only there to make players spend more time in a game, grinding out the rewards, even though the way to get the items isn't fun.

> > If Arenanet adds season passes, they won't replace lootboxes, it will just be another payment system alongside them.

> >

> > If i want to buy something in a store, i can just bring it to the counter and buy it. I don't have to do extra things like bringing the cashier 10 apples or sitting down 5 times in a store.

>

> That is nothing like grinding, usually you doing things you always do or do some fun activities.

> As i mentioned above.

Choosing to use a specific weapon because of associated rewards for using it, not because its the one I enjoy using, standing in a spot waiting for something to show up...for the sake of having been there, or dancing instead of adventuring, all examples given, sounds like grind or unfun busywork to me.

Also, i think Fortnite makes it's revenue not only thanks to Battlepass

They change skins in the store like on daily basis, or every two days

You can't predict what will you get next day, that adds element of surprise

Older skins is the part of rotation, and they repeat

I'm not saying that devs need to rework all gemstore around that

But if some skins could popup more frequently on daily basis it add's variety too

> > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > @"Cherdakuru.5841" said:

> > > > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > @"Ari.4023" said:

> > > > > > > @"Raknar.4735": Seems to me like you don't plan on buying much in the first place. Why would that discourage you?

> > > > > >

> > > > > > That's a pretty overused response to a statement like mine. I've already bought a lot from the gemstore, also ultimate editions for every expansion.

> > > > > > Paying for something that are basically "quests with rewards", instead of just directly getting the reward sounds like a useless extra step to me.

> > > > > > Season passes are only there to make players spend more time in a game, grinding out the rewards, even though the way to get the items isn't fun.

> > > > > > If Arenanet adds season passes, they won't replace lootboxes, it will just be another payment system alongside them.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > If i want to buy something in a store, i can just bring it to the counter and buy it. I don't have to do extra things like bringing the cashier 10 apples or sitting down 5 times in a store.

> > > > >

> > > > > That is nothing like grinding, usually you doing things you always do or do some fun activities.

> > > > > As i mentioned above.

> > > >

> > > > The things you mentioned above sound like grinding to me, not fun activities. Daily challenges? Forcing players to log in daily and do things doesn't sound like fun to me, that would be a chore after just 3 days.

> > >

> > > Oh come on, stop acting, like we don't have daily achievements in Guild Wars 2 already :)

> > > Those daily challenges usually are very easy to do and you can complete them like in 20 minutes

> > > About weekly challenges - i spent 4 hours i guess, and i'm not even good at game, i'm casual

> >

> > I'm not acting, i know we already have daily achievements in GW2.

> > I also don't have to pay to be even allowed to do them.

> > They aren't only available for a limited time period.

> > And i'm not forced to do them every day, that's why i don't.

>

> Yep, i would like that game to be completely free

> But it is a miracle

> And you have to pay for the new content to get it, dev's must have their money to eat and all

> Also if you buy the whole battlepass just for the cosmetics you will do the great thing, because it surely be more expensive, but yo, more money they have more content they make!

>

????

You're a dense one, aren't you. I'm already paying for the things i like. New expansions? Buying it. The new antler skins that are probably releasing tomorrow? Consider them already bought. Battlepass / Seasonpass? Lolno, never.

Path of Exile does things pretty well without relying on season passes. They have a "you buy what you see" store.

> @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > @"Cherdakuru.5841" said:

> > > > > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Ari.4023" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Raknar.4735": Seems to me like you don't plan on buying much in the first place. Why would that discourage you?

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > That's a pretty overused response to a statement like mine. I've already bought a lot from the gemstore, also ultimate editions for every expansion.

> > > > > > > Paying for something that are basically "quests with rewards", instead of just directly getting the reward sounds like a useless extra step to me.

> > > > > > > Season passes are only there to make players spend more time in a game, grinding out the rewards, even though the way to get the items isn't fun.

> > > > > > > If Arenanet adds season passes, they won't replace lootboxes, it will just be another payment system alongside them.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > If i want to buy something in a store, i can just bring it to the counter and buy it. I don't have to do extra things like bringing the cashier 10 apples or sitting down 5 times in a store.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > That is nothing like grinding, usually you doing things you always do or do some fun activities.

> > > > > > As i mentioned above.

> > > > >

> > > > > The things you mentioned above sound like grinding to me, not fun activities. Daily challenges? Forcing players to log in daily and do things doesn't sound like fun to me, that would be a chore after just 3 days.

> > > >

> > > > Oh come on, stop acting, like we don't have daily achievements in Guild Wars 2 already :)

> > > > Those daily challenges usually are very easy to do and you can complete them like in 20 minutes

> > > > About weekly challenges - i spent 4 hours i guess, and i'm not even good at game, i'm casual

> > >

> > > I'm not acting, i know we already have daily achievements in GW2.

> > > I also don't have to pay to be even allowed to do them.

> > > They aren't only available for a limited time period.

> > > And i'm not forced to do them every day, that's why i don't.

> >

> > Yep, i would like that game to be completely free

> > But it is a miracle

> > And you have to pay for the new content to get it, dev's must have their money to eat and all

> > Also if you buy the whole battlepass just for the cosmetics you will do the great thing, because it surely be more expensive, but yo, more money they have more content they make!

> >

>

> ????

> You're a dense one, aren't you. I'm already paying for the things i like. New expansions? Buying it. The new antler skins that are probably releasing tomorrow? Consider them already bought. Battlepass / Seasonpass? Lolno, never.

>

> Path of Exile does things pretty well without relying on season passes. They have a "you buy what you see" store.

We are too focusing on the Fortnite i think, hmmm.

I mean of course Season/Battlepass would look different in the Guild Wars 2.

Do you have any ideas about challenges that would be fun for you to complete?

Let's imagine dev want to make content right for you, that you would buy, what it could be?

> > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > @"Cherdakuru.5841" said:

> > > > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > @"Cherdakuru.5841" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Ari.4023" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Raknar.4735": Seems to me like you don't plan on buying much in the first place. Why would that discourage you?

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > That's a pretty overused response to a statement like mine. I've already bought a lot from the gemstore, also ultimate editions for every expansion.

> > > > > > > > Paying for something that are basically "quests with rewards", instead of just directly getting the reward sounds like a useless extra step to me.

> > > > > > > > Season passes are only there to make players spend more time in a game, grinding out the rewards, even though the way to get the items isn't fun.

> > > > > > > > If Arenanet adds season passes, they won't replace lootboxes, it will just be another payment system alongside them.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > If i want to buy something in a store, i can just bring it to the counter and buy it. I don't have to do extra things like bringing the cashier 10 apples or sitting down 5 times in a store.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > That is nothing like grinding, usually you doing things you always do or do some fun activities.

> > > > > > > As i mentioned above.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > The things you mentioned above sound like grinding to me, not fun activities. Daily challenges? Forcing players to log in daily and do things doesn't sound like fun to me, that would be a chore after just 3 days.

> > > > >

> > > > > Oh come on, stop acting, like we don't have daily achievements in Guild Wars 2 already :)

> > > > > Those daily challenges usually are very easy to do and you can complete them like in 20 minutes

> > > > > About weekly challenges - i spent 4 hours i guess, and i'm not even good at game, i'm casual

> > > >

> > > > I'm not acting, i know we already have daily achievements in GW2.

> > > > I also don't have to pay to be even allowed to do them.

> > > > They aren't only available for a limited time period.

> > > > And i'm not forced to do them every day, that's why i don't.

> > >

> > > Yep, i would like that game to be completely free

> > > But it is a miracle

> > > And you have to pay for the new content to get it, dev's must have their money to eat and all

> > > Also if you buy the whole battlepass just for the cosmetics you will do the great thing, because it surely be more expensive, but yo, more money they have more content they make!

> > >

> >

> > ????

> > You're a dense one, aren't you. I'm already paying for the things i like. New expansions? Buying it. The new antler skins that are probably releasing tomorrow? Consider them already bought. Battlepass / Seasonpass? Lolno, never.

> >

> > Path of Exile does things pretty well without relying on season passes. They have a "you buy what you see" store.

>

> We are too focusing on the Fortnite i think, hmmm.

> I mean of course Season/Battlepass would look different in the Guild Wars 2.

> Do you have any ideas about challenges that would be fun for you to complete?

> Let's imagine dev want to make content right for you, that you would buy, what it could be?

I'm not focusing on Fortnite, that's how all current seasonpasses work.

I have a fun challenge: Play how you want and do what you want. If you like some cosmetics you find in the store you can buy them.

> @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > @"Cherdakuru.5841" said:

> > > > > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > @"Cherdakuru.5841" said:

> > > > > > > > > @"Raknar.4735" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Ari.4023" said:

> > > > > > > > > > @"Raknar.4735": Seems to me like you don't plan on buying much in the first place. Why would that discourage you?

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > That's a pretty overused response to a statement like mine. I've already bought a lot from the gemstore, also ultimate editions for every expansion.

> > > > > > > > > Paying for something that are basically "quests with rewards", instead of just directly getting the reward sounds like a useless extra step to me.

> > > > > > > > > Season passes are only there to make players spend more time in a game, grinding out the rewards, even though the way to get the items isn't fun.

> > > > > > > > > If Arenanet adds season passes, they won't replace lootboxes, it will just be another payment system alongside them.

> > > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > > If i want to buy something in a store, i can just bring it to the counter and buy it. I don't have to do extra things like bringing the cashier 10 apples or sitting down 5 times in a store.

> > > > > > > >

> > > > > > > > That is nothing like grinding, usually you doing things you always do or do some fun activities.

> > > > > > > > As i mentioned above.

> > > > > > >

> > > > > > > The things you mentioned above sound like grinding to me, not fun activities. Daily challenges? Forcing players to log in daily and do things doesn't sound like fun to me, that would be a chore after just 3 days.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Oh come on, stop acting, like we don't have daily achievements in Guild Wars 2 already :)

> > > > > > Those daily challenges usually are very easy to do and you can complete them like in 20 minutes

> > > > > > About weekly challenges - i spent 4 hours i guess, and i'm not even good at game, i'm casual

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm not acting, i know we already have daily achievements in GW2.

> > > > > I also don't have to pay to be even allowed to do them.

> > > > > They aren't only available for a limited time period.

> > > > > And i'm not forced to do them every day, that's why i don't.

> > > >

> > > > Yep, i would like that game to be completely free

> > > > But it is a miracle

> > > > And you have to pay for the new content to get it, dev's must have their money to eat and all

> > > > Also if you buy the whole battlepass just for the cosmetics you will do the great thing, because it surely be more expensive, but yo, more money they have more content they make!

> > > >

> > >

> > > ????

> > > You're a dense one, aren't you. I'm already paying for the things i like. New expansions? Buying it. The new antler skins that are probably releasing tomorrow? Consider them already bought. Battlepass / Seasonpass? Lolno, never.

> > >

> > > Path of Exile does things pretty well without relying on season passes. They have a "you buy what you see" store.

> >

> > We are too focusing on the Fortnite i think, hmmm.

> > I mean of course Season/Battlepass would look different in the Guild Wars 2.

> > Do you have any ideas about challenges that would be fun for you to complete?

> > Let's imagine dev want to make content right for you, that you would buy, what it could be?

>

> I'm not focusing on Fortnite, that's how all current seasonpasses work.

>

> I have a fun challenge: Play how you want and do what you want. If you like some cosmetics you find in the store you can buy them.

Yep, problem is they say they can't live without the lootboxes.

I'm just thinking that battlepass is better then Black Lion Chests, if choosing between those two.

Actually i agree, i support the idea of gemshop where you can buy all the things you want directly

As it stands a player who opens BLC will eventually get what she wants due to the statuettes included.

I am not opposed to something to replace BLC, I dont like them at all, but paying extra money in order to have to do chores to get desirable rewards seems like paying my boss to be allowed to work for my company.

What's ANet's motivation to move to the suggested "Pass?"

Afaik, ANet has two goals: keep people interested in the game; make money to fund the game, and keep NCSoft reasonably happy.

+ ANet already provides a lot of things for people to do. These things already have rewards associated with them. While those rewards don't include BL Chest loot, one can sell at least some of the byproducts of those rewards to buy gems, to buy keys. If the tasks associated with the Season Pass Reward Track are content in addition to what they already provide, what content/features suffer as a result of shifting resources to make that content?

+ There is no guarantee that the Pass will provide equivalent revenue to the sale of keys. This represents risk, especially because it looks like the "optional" subs we see in Freemium games. A lot of players over the years have commented that they play GW2 because it is sub-free. If the Pass alienates significant numbers of such players, the Pass might have even more revenue to make up.

Then, there's the whole loot-box issue. I can see ANet wanting to have something in the hole in case the furor over randomized paid-for rewards results in restrictions on such sales (whether that's an outright ban, or age limitations on the games that offer them -- neither of which do ANet any favors). Using randomized boxes as part of a paid-for reward track may not circumvent such restrictions. Eliminating the random aspect of the suggestion might work. However, there's still the issues of how content would be affected, and whether replacing the chest/key system with the next best thing to an optional sub would work out for the better. Old games which take actions to alienate what may be a significant portion of their player-base can turn into late games.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> As it stands a player who opens BLC will eventually get what she wants due to the statuettes included.

>

> I am not opposed to something to replace BLC, I dont like them at all, but paying extra money in order to have to do chores to get desirable rewards seems like paying my boss to be allowed to work for my company.

You are paying for the extra content here. And for the extra opportunities.

Fortnite as example, since i think it is the best realisation of this model. (could be wrong)

There was danceoff challenge, you needed to get to the dancefloor and make a dance battle with another player.

That is a kind of a mini-game, 2 squares like 3 on 3. When on of those little squares inside turns lights on, you should use dance emote. Longer you stand on it more points you get. Little-squares are constantly changing one after another.

It was challenging, because some players decided that it would be fun to get free kills on the players that are here just for challenge.

And lots of players were they every game.

I mean it is not routine as you would think. Not another type of dailies.

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > As it stands a player who opens BLC will eventually get what she wants due to the statuettes included.

> >

> > I am not opposed to something to replace BLC, I dont like them at all, but paying extra money in order to have to do chores to get desirable rewards seems like paying my boss to be allowed to work for my company.

>

> You are paying for the extra content here. And for the extra opportunities.

> Fortnite as example, since i think it is the best realisation of this model. (could be wrong)

> There was danceoff challenge, you needed to get to the dancefloor and make a dance battle with another player.

> That is a kind of a mini-game, 2 squares like 3 on 3. When on of those little squares inside turns lights on, you should use dance emote. Longer you stand on it more points you get. Little-squares are constantly changing one after another.

> It was challenging, because some players decided that it would be fun to get free kills on the players that are here just for challenge.

> And lots of players were they every game.

> I mean it is not routine as you would think. Not another type of dailies.

Sounds horrible to me, it is something I would actively avoid.

> @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> What's ANet's motivation to move to the suggested "Pass?"

>

> Afaik, ANet has two goals: keep people interested in the game; make money to fund the game, and keep NCSoft reasonably happy.

>

> + ANet already provides a lot of things for people to do. These things already have rewards associated with them. While those rewards don't include BL Chest loot, one can sell at least some of the byproducts of those rewards to buy gems, to buy keys. If the tasks associated with the Season Pass Reward Track are content in addition to what they already provide, what content/features suffer as a result of shifting resources to make that content?

> + There is no guarantee that the Pass will provide equivalent revenue to the sale of keys. This represents risk, especially because it looks like the "optional" subs we see in Freemium games. A lot of players over the years have commented that they play GW2 because it is sub-free. If the Pass alienates significant numbers of such players, the Pass might have even more revenue to make up.

>

> Then, there's the whole loot-box issue. I can see ANet wanting to have something in the hole in case the furor over randomized paid-for rewards results in restrictions on such sales (whether that's an outright ban, or age limitations on the games that offer them -- neither of which do ANet any favors). Using randomized boxes as part of a paid-for reward track may not circumvent such restrictions. Eliminating the random aspect of the suggestion might work. However, there's still the issues of how content would be affected, and whether replacing the chest/key system with the next best thing to an optional sub would work out for the better. Old games which take actions to alienate what may be a significant portion of their player-base can turn into late games.

Yep, it is a risk, but they put themselves into that situation picking the lootbox model at the firstplace instead of designing the fair monetization model.

I don't know what will they pick, but there are already plenty of games that work without lootboxes.

Of course it will take time to design such a model, but that's how things work, i guess.

> @"Elspereth.1280" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > As it stands a player who opens BLC will eventually get what she wants due to the statuettes included.

> > >

> > > I am not opposed to something to replace BLC, I dont like them at all, but paying extra money in order to have to do chores to get desirable rewards seems like paying my boss to be allowed to work for my company.

> >

> > You are paying for the extra content here. And for the extra opportunities.

> > Fortnite as example, since i think it is the best realisation of this model. (could be wrong)

> > There was danceoff challenge, you needed to get to the dancefloor and make a dance battle with another player.

> > That is a kind of a mini-game, 2 squares like 3 on 3. When on of those little squares inside turns lights on, you should use dance emote. Longer you stand on it more points you get. Little-squares are constantly changing one after another.

> > It was challenging, because some players decided that it would be fun to get free kills on the players that are here just for challenge.

> > And lots of players were they every game.

> > I mean it is not routine as you would think. Not another type of dailies.

>

> Sounds horrible to me, it is something I would actively avoid.

Let's think out of the box and try to imagine what could work for GW2.

Of course, that's Battle Royale game and that's MMO, it's only an example, it works good in the pvp survival shooter game

> @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> Why does everyone who has this idea start a new thread and act like it's the first time it has been brought up on these forums?

BECAUSE MY IDEA IS UNIQUE AND SPECIAL!!!

also because for a very long time the forum search(old forum) was completely useless and I think even on the new one it broke for a bit so people have been trained to ignore using the search function

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"mindcircus.1506" said:

> > Why does everyone who has this idea start a new thread and act like it's the first time it has been brought up on these forums?

>

> BECAUSE MY IDEA IS UNIQUE AND SPECIAL!!!

>

> also because for a very long time the forum search(old forum) was completely useless and I think even on the new one it broke for a bit so people have been trained to ignore using the search function

I don't know, i came here from the google, i saw fresh comments

I see, I comment, i'm simple

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > As it stands a player who opens BLC will eventually get what she wants due to the statuettes included.

> >

> > I am not opposed to something to replace BLC, I dont like them at all, but paying extra money in order to have to do chores to get desirable rewards seems like paying my boss to be allowed to work for my company.

>

> You are paying for the extra content here. And for the extra opportunities.

> Fortnite as example, since i think it is the best realisation of this model. (could be wrong)

> There was danceoff challenge, you needed to get to the dancefloor and make a dance battle with another player.

> That is a kind of a mini-game, 2 squares like 3 on 3. When on of those little squares inside turns lights on, you should use dance emote. Longer you stand on it more points you get. Little-squares are constantly changing one after another.

> It was challenging, because some players decided that it would be fun to get free kills on the players that are here just for challenge.

> And lots of players were they every game.

> I mean it is not routine as you would think. Not another type of dailies.

Your example just agreed with my point. It would involve me paying ANet extra in order to do a chore. I can, if I so choose, currently do chores in gw2 without paying extra.

How much could I expect ANet to pay me to do that dance thing? Anything less than my hourly rate at my job would be a net loss. I guess I would be willing to do it for somewhere in the $50 per hour range.

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > As it stands a player who opens BLC will eventually get what she wants due to the statuettes included

>

> Lol nope, it is a huge overprice to get things like that.

I said nothing about price. You are mistaken about how that system works.

> One issue is that a fair number of people farm keys instead of buying them.

That would actually be in favour of the season pass, at least for Arena Net.

The issue is: RNG = more money.

Season pass would be, what 30€ max? Assuming a Yearly one.

The one in Fortnite is like 10€.

Now, 10 Black Lion Keys in GW2, that's over 10€. 25 Keys is roughly 25€.

Do you see how RNG and lootboxes are more profitable? So it's very unlikely that Arena Net will phase out the Black Lion chests, unless a more significant portion of their market goes the way of Belgium, something i'm rooting for.

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > As it stands a player who opens BLC will eventually get what she wants due to the statuettes included.

> > >

> > > I am not opposed to something to replace BLC, I dont like them at all, but paying extra money in order to have to do chores to get desirable rewards seems like paying my boss to be allowed to work for my company.

> >

> > You are paying for the extra content here. And for the extra opportunities.

> > Fortnite as example, since i think it is the best realisation of this model. (could be wrong)

> > There was danceoff challenge, you needed to get to the dancefloor and make a dance battle with another player.

> > That is a kind of a mini-game, 2 squares like 3 on 3. When on of those little squares inside turns lights on, you should use dance emote. Longer you stand on it more points you get. Little-squares are constantly changing one after another.

> > It was challenging, because some players decided that it would be fun to get free kills on the players that are here just for challenge.

> > And lots of players were they every game.

> > I mean it is not routine as you would think. Not another type of dailies.

>

> Sounds horrible to me, it is something I would actively avoid.

Not has horrible as the thing it would replace though.