Teamwork rewarded over skill?

> @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > I think the high skill players are rewarded by prestige. They get a lot more props and attention if they duel or upload a soloing video than someone showing their guild taking on a map event or zerging in WvW.

> > > >

> > > > They also have more knowledge to strut with regards to build viability, counters and advice.

> > > >

> > > > Is it just me or are there not that many rewarding rewards either way? When I play GW2, it's because I'm having fun, not for the rewards.

> > >

> > > Id rather be handed legendaries for possessing 10x the amount of skill then the average player, thanks. Especially if they are legendaries that you can only get with said personal skill and by no other means, especially not being able to mooch off of others abilities or get carried or pay your way to victory.

> >

> > So you want external validation for yourself on top of the external validation other players will give you?

> >

> > Fair enough. So long as you yourself accept that hollow justification as well. They are just skins, after all. No harm in throwing out more bones.

>

> Yup that's all I'm asking for, a legendary that cant be obtained by opening your wallet, which you can with 99% of the legendaries in the game. I dont see those people walking around with any less prestige or sense of accomplishment that have obtained those.

>

> Tons of raiders walking around with full legendary and they paid for the clears same with those in spvp who paid for carries to legend or wvw where you simply get them by showing up and pressing one, much more efficiently then actually playing wvw with technical skill and prowess.

>

> Might as well have some legendary equipment thats actually based on something besides pay to win, or show up and chat to win.

Just so you know, this is a request made out of envy. It wouldn't be the first (so many things have been begged to make more accessible in the game) and likely won't be the last.

But from my perspective, I give no more prestige to those walking around with legendaries and raid armor than any other player. Heck, most of the time I look down on those types because they tend to be stuck in their ways and would sooner tell a player to go respawn than bother rezzing or using utilities to help out struggling players.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > I think the high skill players are rewarded by prestige. They get a lot more props and attention if they duel or upload a soloing video than someone showing their guild taking on a map event or zerging in WvW.

> > > > >

> > > > > They also have more knowledge to strut with regards to build viability, counters and advice.

> > > > >

> > > > > Is it just me or are there not that many rewarding rewards either way? When I play GW2, it's because I'm having fun, not for the rewards.

> > > >

> > > > Id rather be handed legendaries for possessing 10x the amount of skill then the average player, thanks. Especially if they are legendaries that you can only get with said personal skill and by no other means, especially not being able to mooch off of others abilities or get carried or pay your way to victory.

> > >

> > > They you better choose your games more wisely. MMO's simply don't reward individual players to the extent that they reward teamwork. It would be a luxury at this point for Anet to create content completely out of line with the concept of the game.

> >

> > Yes other mmos do reward solo content and skill. For example in wow if you solo a dungeon you get all of the other players loot given to you. This cant be done on gw2 because all loot is individualized for each player. Now they could fix this by giving solo clears of dungeons 4x the normal amount of drops since you are doing 4x the amount of work. Dungeons solo clears arent particularly hard though so I would like something that is like this but much harder.

>

> Yea and in wow you can out gear dungeons so they are easier then killing moas in gw2 open world .

I know I said it was too easy, it's just an example, but by awarding the player all the other players loot it does make it more lucrative.

> @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> > Might as well have some legendary equipment thats actually based on something besides pay to win, or show up and chat to win.

>

> They already have legendaries based on 'something besides pay to win.' Read: Every legendary released so far.

Haha collecting currency on a map? That's just showing up and pressing 1 just like raids and wvw. The other half of the process of crafting them is straight up gold which is pay 2 win. Or in my case playing the top. No skill or gameplay required for that half of the recipe.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > I think the high skill players are rewarded by prestige. They get a lot more props and attention if they duel or upload a soloing video than someone showing their guild taking on a map event or zerging in WvW.

> > > > >

> > > > > They also have more knowledge to strut with regards to build viability, counters and advice.

> > > > >

> > > > > Is it just me or are there not that many rewarding rewards either way? When I play GW2, it's because I'm having fun, not for the rewards.

> > > >

> > > > Id rather be handed legendaries for possessing 10x the amount of skill then the average player, thanks. Especially if they are legendaries that you can only get with said personal skill and by no other means, especially not being able to mooch off of others abilities or get carried or pay your way to victory.

> > >

> > > So you want external validation for yourself on top of the external validation other players will give you?

> > >

> > > Fair enough. So long as you yourself accept that hollow justification as well. They are just skins, after all. No harm in throwing out more bones.

> >

> > Yup that's all I'm asking for, a legendary that cant be obtained by opening your wallet, which you can with 99% of the legendaries in the game. I dont see those people walking around with any less prestige or sense of accomplishment that have obtained those.

> >

> > Tons of raiders walking around with full legendary and they paid for the clears same with those in spvp who paid for carries to legend or wvw where you simply get them by showing up and pressing one, much more efficiently then actually playing wvw with technical skill and prowess.

> >

> > Might as well have some legendary equipment thats actually based on something besides pay to win, or show up and chat to win.

>

> Just so you know, this is a request made out of envy. It wouldn't be the first (so many things have been begged to make more accessible in the game) and likely won't be the last.

>

> But from my perspective, I give no more prestige to those walking around with legendaries and raid armor than any other player. Heck, most of the time I look down on those types because they tend to be stuck in their ways and would sooner tell a player to go respawn than bother rezzing or using utilities to help out struggling players.

Envy? I'm asking for legendaries and content that allows for players to display their advanced skill and earn a corresponding reward that is reflective of that skill. What am I envious of, all the other legendaries? Or people who have them? Lol. My entire post is showcasing that the other legendaries are a joke to earn, they are too easily obtained and require no skill.

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > > I think the high skill players are rewarded by prestige. They get a lot more props and attention if they duel or upload a soloing video than someone showing their guild taking on a map event or zerging in WvW.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > They also have more knowledge to strut with regards to build viability, counters and advice.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Is it just me or are there not that many rewarding rewards either way? When I play GW2, it's because I'm having fun, not for the rewards.

> > > > >

> > > > > Id rather be handed legendaries for possessing 10x the amount of skill then the average player, thanks. Especially if they are legendaries that you can only get with said personal skill and by no other means, especially not being able to mooch off of others abilities or get carried or pay your way to victory.

> > > >

> > > > So you want external validation for yourself on top of the external validation other players will give you?

> > > >

> > > > Fair enough. So long as you yourself accept that hollow justification as well. They are just skins, after all. No harm in throwing out more bones.

> > >

> > > Yup that's all I'm asking for, a legendary that cant be obtained by opening your wallet, which you can with 99% of the legendaries in the game. I dont see those people walking around with any less prestige or sense of accomplishment that have obtained those.

> > >

> > > Tons of raiders walking around with full legendary and they paid for the clears same with those in spvp who paid for carries to legend or wvw where you simply get them by showing up and pressing one, much more efficiently then actually playing wvw with technical skill and prowess.

> > >

> > > Might as well have some legendary equipment thats actually based on something besides pay to win, or show up and chat to win.

> >

> > Just so you know, this is a request made out of envy. It wouldn't be the first (so many things have been begged to make more accessible in the game) and likely won't be the last.

> >

> > But from my perspective, I give no more prestige to those walking around with legendaries and raid armor than any other player. Heck, most of the time I look down on those types because they tend to be stuck in their ways and would sooner tell a player to go respawn than bother rezzing or using utilities to help out struggling players.

>

> Envy? I'm asking for legendaries and content that allows for players to display their advanced skill and earn a corresponding reward that is reflective of that skill. What am I envious of, all the other legendaries? Or people who have them? Lol. My entire post is showcasing that the other legendaries are a joke to earn, they are too easily obtained and require no skill.

Because those people with the legendaries, to you, get as much prestige as a skilled player that doesn't have those legendaries. If we're talking about prestige solely, a skin is merely a trophy and an individual that must constantly prove their skill by flagging their trophy around isn't really prestigious at all. It's usually those that have legions of fans and peers acknowledging their credentials that have true prestige.

Again, I'm not trying to subtract from your suggestion (I actually support it). I'm just describing how hollow it is.

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > > > I think the high skill players are rewarded by prestige. They get a lot more props and attention if they duel or upload a soloing video than someone showing their guild taking on a map event or zerging in WvW.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > They also have more knowledge to strut with regards to build viability, counters and advice.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Is it just me or are there not that many rewarding rewards either way? When I play GW2, it's because I'm having fun, not for the rewards.

> > > > >

> > > > > Id rather be handed legendaries for possessing 10x the amount of skill then the average player, thanks. Especially if they are legendaries that you can only get with said personal skill and by no other means, especially not being able to mooch off of others abilities or get carried or pay your way to victory.

> > > >

> > > > So you want external validation for yourself on top of the external validation other players will give you?

> > > >

> > > > Fair enough. So long as you yourself accept that hollow justification as well. They are just skins, after all. No harm in throwing out more bones.

> > >

> > > Yup that's all I'm asking for, a legendary that cant be obtained by opening your wallet, which you can with 99% of the legendaries in the game. I dont see those people walking around with any less prestige or sense of accomplishment that have obtained those.

> > >

> > > Tons of raiders walking around with full legendary and they paid for the clears same with those in spvp who paid for carries to legend or wvw where you simply get them by showing up and pressing one, much more efficiently then actually playing wvw with technical skill and prowess.

> > >

> > > Might as well have some legendary equipment thats actually based on something besides pay to win, or show up and chat to win.

> >

> > Just so you know, this is a request made out of envy. It wouldn't be the first (so many things have been begged to make more accessible in the game) and likely won't be the last.

> >

> > But from my perspective, I give no more prestige to those walking around with legendaries and raid armor than any other player. Heck, most of the time I look down on those types because they tend to be stuck in their ways and would sooner tell a player to go respawn than bother rezzing or using utilities to help out struggling players.

>

> Envy? I'm asking for legendaries and content that allows for players to display their advanced skill and earn a corresponding reward that is reflective of that skill. What am I envious of, all the other legendaries? Or people who have them? Lol. My entire post is showcasing that the other legendaries are a joke to earn, they are too easily obtained and require no skill.

Except in this game, you don't get rewarded for advance skills as you said. So you want Anet to create a special reward for it ... to justify your desire to have the content to get that reward? That's a little 'cart before the horse' don't you think? Tou have made an incorrect correlation here; if you want to show prestige, it's rare that it's shown by the loot or skins you have, if ever in GW2; I don't see GW2 doing it anytime soon.

Kinda hard to follow the problem you are trying to fix here; you just want harder content for solo or you're after some exclusive loot that only try hard soloers can get? Not sure. I wouldn't expect either.

If you were new to the game, I could see the origin of the complaint; but you aren't, so it just sound like you want to show off something, or maybe you feel you are 'cheated' because 'just anyone' can get a legendary. I think you need to get past that.

> @"Odinens.5920" said:

> > Why is teamwork rewarded over personal skill in this game so much.

>

> Oh Lumpix....

>

> You do realize good teamwork actually requires good personal skill? Your argument is non-existent.

>

>

Lol no it doesn't. There is tons of content in this game that requires only a small modicum of personal skill, and then coordination with team mates. Stand here everyone, ok throw the thing. Sorry that's not personal gameplay skills. If you call that personal gaming skill, I'd say its tantamount to walking left or right in Mario bros.

How hilarious is it that you can fail a raid all night long even though you play perfectly but your teammate fails to do whatever. Is losing the raid as a whole your fault in that case? The end result is that you're not rewarded. How are you as an individual supposed to improve your skill so that other person does the right thing? Oh that's right, you cant your personal skill cant help the other person to walk left or right. You could be the best player on the planet and you wont be able to fix that or be rewarded for that. There's something wrong with that.

Last time I played games or even any other mmo, your personal skill amounts to quite a bit, there is some content if not all the content in a game which rewards personal skill to a great extent. much less so in gw2.

> @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> Considering how often I carry newbies through early dungeons by myself, I'd say that personal skill is quite rewarding. It just helps to have other people around.

Yah but, if you solo a dungeon its harder, you get the same rewards and it takes longer. If you group for a dungeon its the same rewards, much easier and is shorter in duration. You see the problem. Doing activities solo that require more skill in this game is counterproductive, and isnt rewarded proportionately to the skill and effort put into it.

> > @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> > Considering how often I carry newbies through early dungeons by myself, I'd say that personal skill is quite rewarding. It just helps to have other people around.

>

> Yah but, if you solo a dungeon its harder, you get the same rewards and it takes longer. If you group for a dungeon its the same rewards, much easier and is shorter in duration. You see the problem. Doing activities solo that require more skill in this game is counterproductive, and isnt rewarded proportionately to the skill and effort put into it.

Yea, the problem is that you shouldn't expect rewards in MMO's to be linked to individual effort in group content.

> > @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> >

> > They already have legendaries based on 'something besides pay to win.' Read: Every legendary released so far.

>

> Haha collecting currency on a map? That's just showing up and pressing 1 just like raids and wvw. The other half of the process of crafting them is straight up gold which is pay 2 win. Or in my case playing the top. No skill or gameplay required for that half of the recipe.

Weird, I was roaming in WvW a while back and ran into a group of three hostiles, all from the same guild, at a camp. Just pressing 1 was not sufficient to win.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> > > > Might as well have some legendary equipment thats actually based on something besides pay to win, or show up and chat to win.

> > >

> > > They already have legendaries based on 'something besides pay to win.' Read: Every legendary released so far.

> >

> > Haha collecting currency on a map? That's just showing up and pressing 1 just like raids and wvw. The other half of the process of crafting them is straight up gold which is pay 2 win. Or in my case playing the top. No skill or gameplay required for that half of the recipe.

>

> Weird, I was roaming in WvW a while back and ran into a group of three hostiles, all from the same guild, at a camp. Just pressing 1 was not sufficient to win.

If pressing 1 was all it took, I'd be the absolute BEST at WvW! :)

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> > > > > Might as well have some legendary equipment thats actually based on something besides pay to win, or show up and chat to win.

> > > >

> > > > They already have legendaries based on 'something besides pay to win.' Read: Every legendary released so far.

> > >

> > > Haha collecting currency on a map? That's just showing up and pressing 1 just like raids and wvw. The other half of the process of crafting them is straight up gold which is pay 2 win. Or in my case playing the top. No skill or gameplay required for that half of the recipe.

> >

> > Weird, I was roaming in WvW a while back and ran into a group of three hostiles, all from the same guild, at a camp. Just pressing 1 was not sufficient to win.

>

> If pressing 1 was all it took, I'd be the absolute BEST at WvW! :)

To be fair, he is talking about PVE. In particular, he seems to be talking about OW PvE. I'm not quite sure how one successfully does it just by autoattacking everything, but I'm clearly not as skilled as the OP...

Nor do I think he understands the term Pay-to-Win...

> @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > Might as well have some legendary equipment thats actually based on something besides pay to win, or show up and chat to win.

> > > > >

> > > > > They already have legendaries based on 'something besides pay to win.' Read: Every legendary released so far.

> > > >

> > > > Haha collecting currency on a map? That's just showing up and pressing 1 just like raids and wvw. The other half of the process of crafting them is straight up gold which is pay 2 win. Or in my case playing the top. No skill or gameplay required for that half of the recipe.

> > >

> > > Weird, I was roaming in WvW a while back and ran into a group of three hostiles, all from the same guild, at a camp. Just pressing 1 was not sufficient to win.

> >

> > If pressing 1 was all it took, I'd be the absolute BEST at WvW! :)

>

> To be fair, he is talking about PVE. In particular, he seems to be talking about OW PvE. I'm not quite sure how one successfully does it just by autoattacking everything, but I'm clearly not as skilled as the OP...

>

> Nor do I think he understands the term Pay-to-Win...

He says, "That's just showing up and pressing 1 just like...wvw."

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > > @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> > > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > > Might as well have some legendary equipment thats actually based on something besides pay to win, or show up and chat to win.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > They already have legendaries based on 'something besides pay to win.' Read: Every legendary released so far.

> > > > >

> > > > > Haha collecting currency on a map? That's just showing up and pressing 1 just like raids and wvw. The other half of the process of crafting them is straight up gold which is pay 2 win. Or in my case playing the top. No skill or gameplay required for that half of the recipe.

> > > >

> > > > Weird, I was roaming in WvW a while back and ran into a group of three hostiles, all from the same guild, at a camp. Just pressing 1 was not sufficient to win.

> > >

> > > If pressing 1 was all it took, I'd be the absolute BEST at WvW! :)

> >

> > To be fair, he is talking about PVE. In particular, he seems to be talking about OW PvE. I'm not quite sure how one successfully does it just by autoattacking everything, but I'm clearly not as skilled as the OP...

> >

> > Nor do I think he understands the term Pay-to-Win...

>

> He says, "That's just showing up and pressing 1 just like...wvw."

What can I say? Reading comprehension is apparently not my strong suit. :#

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> > > > Might as well have some legendary equipment thats actually based on something besides pay to win, or show up and chat to win.

> > >

> > > They already have legendaries based on 'something besides pay to win.' Read: Every legendary released so far.

> >

> > Haha collecting currency on a map? That's just showing up and pressing 1 just like raids and wvw. The other half of the process of crafting them is straight up gold which is pay 2 win. Or in my case playing the top. No skill or gameplay required for that half of the recipe.

>

> Weird, I was roaming in WvW a while back and ran into a group of three hostiles, all from the same guild, at a camp. Just pressing 1 was not sufficient to win.

Oh I was talking about a zerg, u press one and things die. Funny thing is that if I was in a zerg pressing 1 vs you roaming 3v1 I'm getting 10x more rewards then you would be. See the problem.

I'm sure somewhere someone has pointed this out to you already, but I cba to read the entire thread so I'll just add my two pence here...

> Raids: oh I'm an insanely good player, but i dislike working with others, oh you get nothing no raids or pve content for u.

>

The term raid is defined as going in with other people. As such there has never, nor will ever, be a "Solo Raid"

> I love teamwork and have meadiocre skill, - heres legendaries, thanks for showing up this week and chatting.

>

Legendaries are from crafting, and sure some of the components come from raids, but a lot of it you get yourself. Plus if you're in a guild that goes into a raid and you have no personal skill, sure you may get carried, or the peopel you're in with will tell you how much you suck and kick you out.

> Pvp - I have insane personal skill and destroy most players and hold most nodes.- oh you lose because someone is afk, no teamwork, 4v5 u lose.

>

If you don't like it, don't do it. PvP, unless 1v1 arena based combat is specifically designed to be done as a team.

> Wvw - I have very high skill and solo kill small teams as well as run supply and escort dolyaks and scout = oh no reward for you, no wxp, karma or loot.

>

> I enjoy teamwork but have very low skill and I follow in a zero and press 1 = heres a ton of wxp, loot and participation.

>

> Would be nice if individual player skill was measured, mattered and was rewarded accordingly, like teamwork is.

Don't really know much about WvW, but I'm assuming it works on participation, like events. So if you really are so much more skilled than everyone else, I'm sure you're not getting "no wxp, karma or loot"

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > Might as well have some legendary equipment thats actually based on something besides pay to win, or show up and chat to win.

> > > >

> > > > They already have legendaries based on 'something besides pay to win.' Read: Every legendary released so far.

> > >

> > > Haha collecting currency on a map? That's just showing up and pressing 1 just like raids and wvw. The other half of the process of crafting them is straight up gold which is pay 2 win. Or in my case playing the top. No skill or gameplay required for that half of the recipe.

> >

> > Weird, I was roaming in WvW a while back and ran into a group of three hostiles, all from the same guild, at a camp. Just pressing 1 was not sufficient to win.

>

> Oh I was talking about a zerg, u press one and things die. Funny thing is that if I was in a zerg pressing 1 vs you roaming 3v1 I'm getting 10x more rewards then you would be. See the problem.

I don't disagree that there is a disparity of rewards in the game. I just feel that, to some degree, we need to look for our rewards intrinsically. I would love more trophy style rewards. Things that act as symbols of skilled accomplishment, but I also recognize that I can be proud of something I have done without needing to flaunt it to others.

I have very mixed feelings on this subject.

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > >

> > >

> >

>

> Oh I was talking about a zerg, u press one and things die. Funny thing is that if I was in a zerg pressing 1 vs you roaming 3v1 I'm getting 10x more rewards then you would be. See the problem.

You mean the problem of people having fun playing smallscale/solo while you are not enjoying your time playing with the zerg? That sure sounds like a problem, but the fix is right there :D .

So the OP wants something tangible that OTHER players can see that demonstrates that he/she is ultra skilled because this tangible visible item cannot be obtained any other way except solo.

So swtor a couple years ago brought out this ultimate tournament thing. You got currency and could buy decos for your stronghold and could earn a title. You could do everything with other players but only earned the currency if you did it solo.

Let me tell you. It was a huge waste of the dev's time and resources. So few people did that content. I do know a couple but that is out of hundreds. Yes, I tried it and was on the tenth round(out of ten) when I had to leave to pick up my daughter. I returned to an idle time out which meant I had to start all over and never went back to it. Sour grapes? I guess? I mean. /I/ knew I could do it since I'd gotten all the way. I didn't care enough to redo it for bragging rights only and whenever I was on my friends wanted to do, you know, content WE COULD DO TOGETHER.

Said friends now play on guild wars which is why I'm here. But because such a small small teeny bit of the player base would REPEAT this sort of content I don't see it, personally, as likely.

Nothing wrong in wanting something tangible to show off though. Hard to show off your leet skillz in a solo player game. I just don't think guild wars is the right fit for that.

> @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > > @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> > > > > > @"Jumpin Lumpix.6108" said:

> > > > > > Might as well have some legendary equipment thats actually based on something besides pay to win, or show up and chat to win.

> > > > >

> > > > > They already have legendaries based on 'something besides pay to win.' Read: Every legendary released so far.

> > > >

> > > > Haha collecting currency on a map? That's just showing up and pressing 1 just like raids and wvw. The other half of the process of crafting them is straight up gold which is pay 2 win. Or in my case playing the top. No skill or gameplay required for that half of the recipe.

> > >

> > > Weird, I was roaming in WvW a while back and ran into a group of three hostiles, all from the same guild, at a camp. Just pressing 1 was not sufficient to win.

> >

> > Oh I was talking about a zerg, u press one and things die. Funny thing is that if I was in a zerg pressing 1 vs you roaming 3v1 I'm getting 10x more rewards then you would be. See the problem.

> You mean the problem of people having fun playing smallscale/solo while you are not enjoying your time playing with the zerg? That sure sounds like a problem, but the fix is right there :D .

Yah and where is the reward for the higher level of skill. Almost nothing in this game rewards that, it only rewards teamwork, skill is irrelevant, which is the point of my post.