Add duels + "disable duels" option

Aodlop.1907

Just to add support to the no group - definitely no. I've played other games that had this feature, and all it did from my perspective as a non PvP player was increase the toxicity level and gave the trolls more ways to troll in PvE. There are places already in game for you to duel. It's your choice whether to use them or not.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that, so far, none have brought up an certain important reason against OW Dueling. That being the cooperative nature of OWPvE. You're arguing to add a competitive feature to a game mode the developers have taken great pains to make almost completely cooperative.

Please, correct me if I am wrong, but the only competitive elements I can think of are mount races and leaderboards. Let's be honest, two relatively minor things in six years of continuous game development.

> @"Eme.2018" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > Yes, because the average player is not interested in any form of pvp.

> I though it was rather obvious but I am specifically talking about people interested in duels. That note aside, how do you know that the average player is not interested in any form of PvP because I find it hard to believe.

I take that from the general direction of MMORPG evolution and its past history. There's a reason why MMORPGs are less and less leaning towards PvP, and open world unrestricted pvp is now an exception rather than a default state. It's because even on PvP servers in old times pve players not interested in pvp have always been in majority

That's barring some purely pvp games of course... but even then, surprises can happen. Remember maybe how GW1 was supposed to be a PvP-centered game, with a small pve story lobby serving only as an introduction to skills and game mechanics? Remember how that turned out? Yeah, exactly.

> > The people that keep asking for duels over and over again are not trolls (well, some of them are, but not all of them). They are just people that want to duel others in an environment where they are so rare _they cannot find anyone else genuinely interested to duel them_. Thus, they turn to asking everyone for duels, and after getting uniformly negative responses they start getting desperate.

> It is a fact that the majority of the people that want to duel don't display spammy behavior.

Oh, is it?

> I think people have starting coming to that conclusion because it is easier to notice and remember someone that was indeed spamming you than to notice and remember someone who just sent you an invite or pmed you once and asked.

Yeah, especially if you _never_ see the players from the second group, but those from the first one do show up rather frequently...

In some posts I saw a mention that custom arena's can be accessed by others so you cannot duel there (on any chosen map), however, there is an option to make your own custom private arena (this costs game gold?). It simply works with a password and everything. Not that I ever had the need to do this as I had no issue duelling in the custom arena from the browser in past. If you don't have cooperative guildies that ruin your pvp duel in guild arena, you can either ask them politely not to, or you can make your own guild hall (this does cost a wee bit of materials/gold but if you really want that arena for nobody but yourself...). Last option, which the devs did insert last year... Sun's refuge.... You can get a duel arena in there after some achievements related. Anyone stepping into this arena will become attackable and since you can let others enter in your refuge instance by party invite only you will leave strangers out. The only downfall of this duel arena may be the 2 npc that attack now and then but see it as an extra challenge :P

I really like duel function. I haven't seen it being annoying in any way. There was never a "duel spam" problem anywhere. Yes there were certain areas where people dueled all the time and if you passed it you could get duel request. It is really not a bother. And if you are really bothered by a few duel requests just make it a toggle option.

The point of a simple /duel like in wow is that you can do it anywhere (in open world) with anyone, immediately. No need to travel to special "duel grounds".

In first years of wow, when there were not so many pvp options like arena I've spent days just dueling. And yes I would ask a lot of people for duel. Not because I wanted to humiliate people like someone wrote. That is just stupid. It is fun, intense mini game and if you don't like it just decline. And sometimes you just want to see if you can beat up that big Char.

Ive known players who like to duel in the open world (in other games) while waiting for events to occur, or while socializing. I never begrudged them the activity there, but ANet seems to indicate that adding the functionality at this stage in the game's life would be particularly difficult/expensive. I am not sure that it would be worthwhile. How many people for whom this function would really matter remain six years after launch? How many people who have chosen to not pick up the game would give it a shot six to seven years after launch because dueling was added?

> @"Balsa.3951" said:

> agreed make the game more diverse, ppl who say no to duel can just no flag themselves as want duel... so easy but I guess the NO MOUNT crowed is always against change

How do you monetize dueling exactly?

Thus how do you justify the cost of developing and implementing such a mode at this point in time?

If the official developer response is: we do not have the resources for this low a priority feature, then this is a pure problem of resource availability.

Answer how you would address this issue and I'm sure a lot more people would agree with having it added.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > @"Balsa.3951" said:

> > agreed make the game more diverse, ppl who say no to duel can just no flag themselves as want duel... so easy but I guess the NO MOUNT crowed is always against change

>

> How do you monetize dueling exactly?

>

> Thus how do you justify the cost of developing and implementing such a mode at this point in time?

>

> If the official developer response is: we do not have the resources for this low a priority feature, then this is a pure problem of resource availability.

> Answer how you would address this issue and I'm sure a lot more people would agree with having it added.

The cost of this suggestion isn't high :

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/784570#Comment_783951

• 4 weeks later...

Comment from Anet dev regarding this topic made last Semptember

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/695146/#Comment_695146

>I'm not against 1v1 dueling, with restrictions to areas. But as other's noted, to do this right requires a lot of work. (Specified duel areas, a way to change the skill ruleset used based on an area rather than a whole map, etc.

>We have so many higher priorities that I can't see us ever actually getting to this in the foreseeable future. Especially as we already have the means for players to create their own 1v1's via custom arenas.