Most absurd thing you heard in game...

> @"zeldara.4127" said:

> "Don't use chilling reaper in group content. It makes everyone slower."

>

> Not sure what (s)he meant with that but it sounded odd.

>

> And something that sounded odd to me but not sure if it it. A warning from a complete stranger (more like a rude threat) to change my hunter pets name or they would report me for breaking name policies and get me banned. The pet is the pink moa bird I named "Floyd". (Yes pun intended.) Haven't really dared use the name anymore just to be sure, which is a pity.

Maybe Floyd is a dirty word in another language? At which point, I don't think ANet would action you for it.

Also, it's kitten near impossible to report a pet name. It's pretty much a screenshot and support ticket. There ought to be a better system for reporting actual violations.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> > @"zeldara.4127" said:

> > "Don't use chilling reaper in group content. It makes everyone slower."

> >

> > Not sure what (s)he meant with that but it sounded odd.

> >

> > And something that sounded odd to me but not sure if it it. A warning from a complete stranger (more like a rude threat) to change my hunter pets name or they would report me for breaking name policies and get me banned. The pet is the pink moa bird I named "Floyd". (Yes pun intended.) Haven't really dared use the name anymore just to be sure, which is a pity.

>

> Maybe Floyd is a dirty word in another language? At which point, I don't think ANet would action you for it.

>

> Also, it's kitten near impossible to report a pet name. It's pretty much a screenshot and support ticket. There ought to be a better system for reporting actual violations.

I think it's aimed at the (pun intended by me) name of real live band "Pink Floyd" and the rules state you can't use trademarked names, names of real celebrities. So i think Floyd on his own would be fine, but if you get the pun, it technically breaks the rules i guess.

> @"zeldara.4127" said:

> > @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> > > @"zeldara.4127" said:

> > > "Don't use chilling reaper in group content. It makes everyone slower."

> > >

> > > Not sure what (s)he meant with that but it sounded odd.

> > >

> > > And something that sounded odd to me but not sure if it it. A warning from a complete stranger (more like a rude threat) to change my hunter pets name or they would report me for breaking name policies and get me banned. The pet is the pink moa bird I named "Floyd". (Yes pun intended.) Haven't really dared use the name anymore just to be sure, which is a pity.

> >

> > Maybe Floyd is a dirty word in another language? At which point, I don't think ANet would action you for it.

> >

> > Also, it's kitten near impossible to report a pet name. It's pretty much a screenshot and support ticket. There ought to be a better system for reporting actual violations.

>

> I think it's aimed at the (pun intended by me) name of real live band "Pink Floyd" and the rules state you can't use trademarked names, names of real celebrities. So i think Floyd on his own would be fine, but if you get the pun, it technically breaks the rules i guess.

Pink Floyd is a nickname for a part of the male anatomy. ;)

> @"Dragana.1497" said:

> > > @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> > > > @"zeldara.4127" said:

> > > > "Don't use chilling reaper in group content. It makes everyone slower."

> > > >

> > > > Not sure what (s)he meant with that but it sounded odd.

> > > >

> > > > And something that sounded odd to me but not sure if it it. A warning from a complete stranger (more like a rude threat) to change my hunter pets name or they would report me for breaking name policies and get me banned. The pet is the pink moa bird I named "Floyd". (Yes pun intended.) Haven't really dared use the name anymore just to be sure, which is a pity.

> > >

> > > Maybe Floyd is a dirty word in another language? At which point, I don't think ANet would action you for it.

> > >

> > > Also, it's kitten near impossible to report a pet name. It's pretty much a screenshot and support ticket. There ought to be a better system for reporting actual violations.

> >

> > I think it's aimed at the (pun intended by me) name of real live band "Pink Floyd" and the rules state you can't use trademarked names, names of real celebrities. So i think Floyd on his own would be fine, but if you get the pun, it technically breaks the rules i guess.

>

> Pink Floyd is a nickname for a part of the male anatomy. ;)

>

Slaps her own forehead. Next time check the urban dictionary :) ok... that makes sense. Learn something new everyday ^^ Yeah ok... the bird gets a new name now for sure :) I'll stop derailing the thread now.

> @"Dragana.1497" said:

> > > @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> > > > @"zeldara.4127" said:

> > > > "Don't use chilling reaper in group content. It makes everyone slower."

> > > >

> > > > Not sure what (s)he meant with that but it sounded odd.

> > > >

> > > > And something that sounded odd to me but not sure if it it. A warning from a complete stranger (more like a rude threat) to change my hunter pets name or they would report me for breaking name policies and get me banned. The pet is the pink moa bird I named "Floyd". (Yes pun intended.) Haven't really dared use the name anymore just to be sure, which is a pity.

> > >

> > > Maybe Floyd is a dirty word in another language? At which point, I don't think ANet would action you for it.

> > >

> > > Also, it's kitten near impossible to report a pet name. It's pretty much a screenshot and support ticket. There ought to be a better system for reporting actual violations.

> >

> > I think it's aimed at the (pun intended by me) name of real live band "Pink Floyd" and the rules state you can't use trademarked names, names of real celebrities. So i think Floyd on his own would be fine, but if you get the pun, it technically breaks the rules i guess.

>

> Pink Floyd is a nickname for a part of the male anatomy. ;)

>

Well, punishing some older person or someone who is otherwise behind the times because they didn't look up their pets name on urban dictionary first to see if it's "offensive" is ageism.

Besides, I'd be more worried about the person looking for references like that just so they can report.

> @"Jeknar.6184" said:

> > @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> > "The name of your pet offends me."

>

> Tbh, I've seen some rangers with very offensive pet names (Like this one with a Black Bear which the name was a derivate of the N word). But I'm assuming the pet in question problably only had a dumb name?

I don't pay attention to what people say about my pet names. I'm not intentionally offensive. I try to use puns as much as possible; "Megan" Fox, "Missing" Lynx, "That's so" Raven, "Jump the" Shark, and so on.

I have seen a thread regarding how to turn in a person for an offensive pet name.

That reminds me of another one. When people see my pet raven's name: "You know the raven in the poem isn't actually called quoth".

To which I always say "Yeah but the one in Discworld is". Some people accept that, some try and tell me that means Terry Pratchett didn't understand the poem (he did, the character did not) and some actually tell me they've never heard of Discworld, in which case I tell them I'm sorry to hear that.

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> That reminds me of another one. When people see my pet raven's name: "You know the raven in the poem isn't actually called quoth".

>

> To which I always say "Yeah but the one in Discworld is". Some people accept that, some try and tell me that means Terry Pratchett didn't understand the poem (he did, the character did not) and some actually tell me they've never heard of Discworld, in which case I tell them I'm sorry to hear that.

What's Discworld?

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

> @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> > "Don't use chilling reaper in group content. It makes everyone slower."

> >

> > Not sure what (s)he meant with that but it sounded odd.

> >

> > And something that sounded odd to me but not sure if it it. A warning from a complete stranger (more like a rude threat) to change my hunter pets name or they would report me for breaking name policies and get me banned. The pet is the pink moa bird I named "Floyd". (Yes pun intended.) Haven't really dared use the name anymore just to be sure, which is a pity.

>

> Maybe Floyd is a dirty word in another language? At which point, I don't think ANet would action you for it.

>

> Also, it's kitten near impossible to report a pet name. It's pretty much a screenshot and support ticket. There ought to be a better system for reporting actual violations.

Thats correct, also may add if the name is banned for players it will also be banned for pets. So I say go back to using Floyd .

Back in the day right after HoT that Fractals had this dumb toughness scaling for 50+ and the meta was 4 condi reapers and a druid i got kicked from a party with the guys saying: "condi is not viable in high level fractals since its capped" (btw the cap was removed like 6 months plus before then)

> @"Cerioth.7062" said:

> I've heard great many absurd things...

>

> "Leveling elite specs/masteries is too hard"

> "Mouth of Zhaitan is impossible, I need help"

> "Help me powerlevel"

> "reaper is a bad spec for open world/fractals"

> "Ranger players have no skill" (depends how you play your ranger... not all of us are bearbow and not all of us have our pet tank mobs)

If a Ranger enters WvW he is either a Roamer who knows what he is doing or someone who has no idea what he is doing.

The first variant is alot less common.

From a WvW perspective the last one is almost always true.

> @"zeldara.4127" said:

> > @"Dragana.1497" said:

> > > @"zeldara.4127" said:

> > > > @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> > > > > @"zeldara.4127" said:

> > > > > "Don't use chilling reaper in group content. It makes everyone slower."

> > > > >

> > > > > Not sure what (s)he meant with that but it sounded odd.

> > > > >

> > > > > And something that sounded odd to me but not sure if it it. A warning from a complete stranger (more like a rude threat) to change my hunter pets name or they would report me for breaking name policies and get me banned. The pet is the pink moa bird I named "Floyd". (Yes pun intended.) Haven't really dared use the name anymore just to be sure, which is a pity.

> > > >

> > > > Maybe Floyd is a dirty word in another language? At which point, I don't think ANet would action you for it.

> > > >

> > > > Also, it's kitten near impossible to report a pet name. It's pretty much a screenshot and support ticket. There ought to be a better system for reporting actual violations.

> > >

> > > I think it's aimed at the (pun intended by me) name of real live band "Pink Floyd" and the rules state you can't use trademarked names, names of real celebrities. So i think Floyd on his own would be fine, but if you get the pun, it technically breaks the rules i guess.

> >

> > Pink Floyd is a nickname for a part of the male anatomy. ;)

> >

>

> Slaps her own forehead. Next time check the urban dictionary :) ok... that makes sense. Learn something new everyday ^^ Yeah ok... the bird gets a new name now for sure :) I'll stop derailing the thread now.

If youre going to check the urban dictionary for offensive meanings then you cant use any name at all. xD

Back in 2012 when the gold farmers were rampant in Orr I used to get those bundle fireworks and drop a whole stack on the bots. After about 20 minutes I got a response from one of the farmers begging me to stop, adding that he was "a broke college student who just wanted some extra money for lunch." I quit bothering them but sure did miss seeing those 40+ beautiful fireworks going off all at once.

> @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> > @"Cerioth.7062" said:

> > I've heard great many absurd things...

> >

> > "Leveling elite specs/masteries is too hard"

> > "Mouth of Zhaitan is impossible, I need help"

> > "Help me powerlevel"

> > "reaper is a bad spec for open world/fractals"

> > "Ranger players have no skill" (depends how you play your ranger... not all of us are bearbow and not all of us have our pet tank mobs)

>

> If a Ranger enters WvW he is either a Roamer who knows what he is doing or someone who has no idea what he is doing.

>

> The first variant is alot less common.

>

> From a WvW perspective the last one is almost always true.

To be fair, I don't think any player is going to be doing very great when first entering a competitive game mode, no matter how skilled they are as an individual, as they need to get a feel for the competitive gamemode first, whether it's PVP or WvW. Of course some classes carry better than others.

On topic:

I recall someone being rather stubborn over the concept of level scaling. They claimed GW2 mobs do not scale, and that their red attributes meant that their gear was broken. When people tried to correct them, they kept on arguing.