Changes to Istan Meta Farming (Discussion)

"Increased the radii of the charging crystals in the "Repel invading Branded, and kill them near the charging crystals to fill the resonance crystal" event. Creatures killed outside of the charging crystals’ radii will no longer drop loot, and Branded creatures will cease dropping loot after a certain number of kills."

This company is really taking a giant dolyak poop on it's customers right now. It's not even subtle.

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Bish.8627" said:

> "Increased the radii of the charging crystals in the "Repel invading Branded, and kill them near the charging crystals to fill the resonance crystal" event. Creatures killed outside of the charging crystals’ radii will no longer drop loot, and Branded creatures will cease dropping loot after a certain number of kills."

>

> This company is really taking a giant dolyak poop on it's customers right now. It's not even subtle.

This episode and its patches are leaning heavily toward 'do your dev sanctioned activities for your daily reward and nothing else.' This kind of player engineering drove me from my previous two MMOs and has me doubtful about my future with this game. Certainly convinced me not to spend my usual allotment for gems on this episode/festival.

> @"Bish.8627" said:

> "Increased the radii of the charging crystals in the "Repel invading Branded, and kill them near the charging crystals to fill the resonance crystal" event. Creatures killed outside of the charging crystals’ radii will no longer drop loot, and Branded creatures will cease dropping loot after a certain number of kills."

>

> This company is really taking a giant dolyak poop on it's customers right now. It's not even subtle.

... How is encouraging people to play the event correctly bad again?

> @"Bish.8627" said:

>

I have to point out that this is a change that was word for word requested in the forum before this discussion was even started.

Here it is: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/66275/suggestion-thunderhead-keep-meta-change#latest

> @"Rhein.8197" said:

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > @"Rhein.8197" said:

> > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > You're going to have to define grind then because all ascended gear can be crafted simply by the mats you earn playing the game (i.e., not needing to grind anything) or purchase off the TP. If you grind for mats, it's because you CHOOSE that path to get the mats for the gear you want, not because you NEED to play that way.

> > >

> > > Ok. Let's say you just play the game for materials...aren't you then just grinding different events, or farming?

> >

> > Maybe ... but that's and odd reason to play a game. If I want to just 'farm' a material ... I would get a second job and 'farm' money. I play games to have to fun ... lucky for us, in this game, you can do that without resorting to 'farming' materials to get things you want.

> >

> > Again, you are going to have to get into a discussion about what 'grinding' means to you if you want to argue you have to grind in this game to get something like Ascended gear. I'm also under the impression that if you think this game is forcing you to grind, your experience in MMO's is pretty limited.

> >

> > So how do you define what 'grinding" is?

> >

> >

>

> How I define grind is irrelevant.

No it's pretty relevant because from where I sit, you don't need to grind to get most of the loot in this game. So if you are going to say it's a grind and that's related to not good parts of the game or changes to it, you better be clear about what you mean.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > @"Klypto.1703" said:

> > The funny part is how the patch notes said it improved the chests lol. Anet and myself have two very different views on what the word improved means.

>

> So what did they add?

Nothing they basically nerfed the chests but I guess to them its an improvement.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > @"Rhein.8197" said:

> > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > @"Rhein.8197" said:

> > > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > You're going to have to define grind then because all ascended gear can be crafted simply by the mats you earn playing the game (i.e., not needing to grind anything) or purchase off the TP. If you grind for mats, it's because you CHOOSE that path to get the mats for the gear you want, not because you NEED to play that way.

> > > >

> > > > Ok. Let's say you just play the game for materials...aren't you then just grinding different events, or farming?

> > >

> > > Maybe ... but that's and odd reason to play a game. If I want to just 'farm' a material ... I would get a second job and 'farm' money. I play games to have to fun ... lucky for us, in this game, you can do that without resorting to 'farming' materials to get things you want.

> > >

> > > Again, you are going to have to get into a discussion about what 'grinding' means to you if you want to argue you have to grind in this game to get something like Ascended gear. I'm also under the impression that if you think this game is forcing you to grind, your experience in MMO's is pretty limited.

> > >

> > > So how do you define what 'grinding" is?

> > >

> > >

> >

> > How I define grind is irrelevant.

>

> No it's pretty relevant because from where I sit, you don't need to grind to get most of the loot in this game. So if you are going to say it's a grind and that's related to not good parts of the game or changes to it, you better be clear about what you mean.

I will not spell out examples of grind in GW2 or the logic behind farming Istan for gold any more than I have already. There are reddit posts you can search to get player opinions on how to manage the material and gold requirements of various endeavours and many of them will point to participating in metas. If that isn't satisfactory, I will assume you are being disingenuous, or just aren't into crafting/collections/fractals/etc? It's also derailing the thread (we're not talking about the meaning of grind).

I did see someone say you can raid with Exotics and that it's been done. Okay? You're not going to convince people to stop crafting ascended weapons and armor.

Moreover, as a final note: Nothing about the Istan change will affect how the player who farmed Istan will operate. The same players will continue using metas to get gold and materials until ANet sufficiently nerfs them all down. I guess you can spend the additional time between now and the final nerf wondering to yourself why people ever farmed Istan for gold since I can't adequately explain it.

> @"Klypto.1703" said:

> > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > @"Klypto.1703" said:

> > > The funny part is how the patch notes said it improved the chests lol. Anet and myself have two very different views on what the word improved means.

> >

> > So what did they add?

>

> Nothing they basically nerfed the chests but I guess to them its an improvement.

That is not the full info they gave. I just did Istan still one of my favorite meta in game and in whole PoF.

What you get it 1-2 blue additional unid from chest if lucky but in return VM from chests was cut but 2/3. chests use to give 40-50 VM per now its 15 in good day.

Plus on top of it not every mob in Pala & GH gives those 'guaranteed' 2-3 VMs on kill.

Istan is awe, that is all thanks to to to those famous commanders that abused multimaping. It was a nice place to get 1-2 runs per day, made 20-30 gold and go do something that you like doing in game. But greed kills maps in GW2, people don't learn.

Pitty it's one of my fav metas, unlike any other it had dynamic play and coordination.

> @"Bish.8627" said:

>

Nah, they're not. The event wasn't played as intended and it is perfectly in line with their past actions whenever something like this happened. Stuff like removing loot from enemies in the Kourna meta being the most recent example before that.

> @"Dami.5046" said:

> shame they couldn't have changed it so the events *only* kick off at certain times. maybe every 2 hrs or something. At the moment you can see a comm, join and find out they are all but done for the day. Frustrating.

>

Pala is every 2 hours at xx:45 be n map like xx:30, do pala, get 10 minus rest do GH that would start at next:20 and get out.

> @"Jeknar.6184" said:

> Idk, maybe play the rest of the game? Why people need that much gold so desperately anyway if their entire day is spent farming gold in Istan?

Have you seen how much some dyes and and infusions are? 1000 gold for Abyssal Forest, 8000 gold for a Bee infusion. And legendaries are 2000 or more. If I played the rest of the game for years, I wouldn't make enough to buy one. And more are being added to the game all the time

> @"Jura.2170" said:

> > @"Jeknar.6184" said:

> > Idk, maybe play the rest of the game? Why people need that much gold so desperately anyway if their entire day is spent farming gold in Istan?

>

> Have you seen how much some dyes and and infusions are? 1000 gold for Abyssal Forest, 8000 gold for a Bee infusion. And legendaries are 2000 or more. If I played the rest of the game for years, I wouldn't make enough to buy one. And more are being added to the game all the time

>

Other farms exist. Istan is only best for materials.

> @"Bish.8627" said:

>

Indeed.

OK so here's the amount of Gold I got from one GH and one Pala, tagged all champs, I sold all unid gear, no chests and shipments included, no fancy expensive drops.

![](https://i.imgur.com/40W3V0c.jpg "")

My opinions:

1. Palawan Phylacteries are based on RNG but a 6-ish (average) Gold/event is still pretty good considering the fact that these events can be finished in 10-15 minutes each. Kinda feels like old champ train in FGS with downtimes. :lol:

2. If you're lazy like me, this is still a good way to get Gold because the events start at specific times so you can do: Pala - AFK - GH - AFK, repeat cycle. :lol: Plus you can do the extra "triggered" GH before Pala (optional).

3. If you're NOT lazy like me, you can do the smaller events (Aki/Books) for more PPs (aka proper Istan farm, but that drives me insane).

4. EU still has a comm who runs Istan all day + I see other comms starting "daily" squads but it helps if you have a tag because you can start your own squad anytime.

5. I haven't farmed SW in forever but it takes more time/effort than the Pala-AFK-GH cycle. Jumping in for Vinewrath only used to give me 7-ish Gold before Istan was a thing, so that's probably still a decent alternative (I must test this). The downside is that VW is not on a timer so you gotta hunt for good maps. Note that it's highly recommended to open SW bags on a lvl50 char!

> @"CETheLucid.3964" said:

> > @"Bish.8627" said:

> > "Increased the radii of the charging crystals in the "Repel invading Branded, and kill them near the charging crystals to fill the resonance crystal" event. Creatures killed outside of the charging crystals’ radii will no longer drop loot, and Branded creatures will cease dropping loot after a certain number of kills."

> >

> > This company is really taking a giant dolyak poop on it's customers right now. It's not even subtle.

>

> ... How is encouraging people to play the event correctly bad again?

Especially considering that, if it was farmed to the point that the event failed, other players would be cheated of the meta rewards. As it was, it encouraged conflict. Good change, anet.

I definitely felt like it was and still is a grind to get the last currency for ascended trinkets. I definitely feel when I choose to obtain something from the gem shop and grind gold to convert that it is a grind. Required? No. Ascended and gem shop purchases are certainly not required. A grind however is what /I/ feel they are. Others may not. And certainly other games require more or less.

But each person themselves decides what is and is not a grind to them. It isn't like stating a fact: exotic gear isn't required to raid, for example. Also a fact however is: it will be easier to get into a raid team with ascended gear.

As to Istan I may have to rethink my position of not returning when more results are in--some are reporting higher drop rates of exotics. Jury is still out on that though if anyone has better data I would love to hear it.

> @"Bish.8627" said:

>

Or, you know, they wanted people to _do the event_. This isn't even remotely the first time they've made this exact change, for the exact same reason every time.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Etria.3642" said:

> > I definitely feel when I choose to obtain something from the gem shop and grind gold to convert that it is a grind.

> This is your choice. You could simply purchase gems (which helps to keep the servers running).

>

>

I believe when I said 'I choose' that that meant it was a choice I chose to make. Not that I don't buy gems, but there are times I choose (yes that means a choice I choose to make) not to.

How difficult is this to comprehend?

Also the new map meta's are pretty lucrative right now, for those seeking an alternative to Istan though so far just once a day.