Should I remain Solo?

Sabre.5940

Since I started about 5 - 6 years back, I have been a solo player. I fully enjoy the fluidity of map bouncing and jump into any random event that happens to be nearby. I do log on every night, but the idea that I would have to log on out of an obligation to a group, has made me steer clear of Guilds and Squads. I did start my own guild just so people would stop sending me invites,( and mainly so I could have an emblem on my armor). I am always happy and willing to rush to aid a downed player, or anyone who looks like they are about to be overwhelmed, and I have even helped out a few new comers (i dislike the term noobs) till they get their footing. But at the core I am still running a solo game, and having a great time (by the by). But now I am wondering if maybe I am missing out on something bigger, and should I be more open to groups? How does one go about this? I am always happy to help anyone who asks, but don't feel comfortable asking for myself. (this is also a real world issue for me, too. So there's that) Any advise, or off hand flippant comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

"Group" can mean lots of things in this game, and you'll have to figure out what you'd like to experience or would enjoy. It can be organized, hardcore raid groups or wvw rallies where everyone is comped and in voice comms and committed to certain hours and training and builds. All the way down to a social guild where you can just chat or ask for help with some content. Can even be just listing yourself in the LFG or on the map for party (or tag if you have it) to do some content, like a meta event or world boss.

I am often playing "solo" because I haven't found a guild that has anything organized during the times I can play that meshes well with me. But I often tag up for things, look for groups to complete content, chat in map, etc.

most guilds respect the amount of attachment each member wants to give the guild, be that in the form of helping with guild hall upgrades, using voice comms, amount of representation, as well as general grouping up and participation. most guilds ive been in require at least 50% guild representation (or 100% if its a specialized guild like wvw only) and to do weekly guild events like rushes, jp's stuff like that. if youre really not into using voice comms for example (unless youre intent on playing in a hardcore wvw guild) im sure the guild leader would be fine with that. most guilds do discord chat, ive pulled off listening in to that and just typing into guild chat. most peeps are cool and casual, just gotta let them know who you are and what youre into ya know. good luck.

There isn't much guild content in the game since guild missions havn't been updated in years, so basically the only purpose they serve is as a social group and as a LFG pool for fractals/raids/pvp. Whether you are missing out or not depends on whether you want to do those things or not.

> @"Kunzaito.8169" said:

> > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > The term "noob" does not refer to new players.

>

> It literally does. It's a shortened and derogatory form of the term "newbie," which is a term for someone who is new to and inexperienced at some kind of activity.

Not quite, it refers mockingly to veteran players who still act like you would expect a new player to act.

Join a few guilds that do not have strong rep requirements and tell them you will "Tag Up" when you are doing things with the guild. That's what I do and I am in two big guilds right now that are ok with that. Basically the more busy they are the more you will be tagging for their guild. So they have to hold up their end of the deal as well. I typically am not active in any guild chat but I do watch it for the "LF 1 more to do this" posts and join in on the things that I want to do. You may find a few people that you click with and end up doing most of your content with them rather than random guild members. Make sure you find a guild at your maturity level. It may take some trial and error but you will eventually find a guild that you like. There is no harm in trying. You can always go back to playing solo even if you are in a guild.

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> Not quite, it refers mockingly to veteran players who still act like you would expect a new player to act.

Eh, I'd argue that in its application, the person using it has no idea the level of experience of the person or people they're angry at. They're just throwing a tantrum because things aren't going they way they want or expect, which may or may not be because the people they are mad at are new or less skilled than the insulter. The derivation of the word is clear though and it is meant to imply a lack of experience, at least relative to the person using it.

I can't tell you what you should do, but for me the big draw of GW2 over the years (on and off since launch) has been exactly how you describe playing it: dropping in where I feel I can help out peeps, open world, without having to commit. For this kind of more casual play, I don't know of a better MMO. For reference: I loved 40 man (WoW) raiding back in vanilla days. GW2 allows casual facsimiles of that (RIBA, Tarir, DS, PoF gold grinds, ...), and this is exactly where it shines. So my 2c: carry on!

Edit: do join random squads though, if only because it allows us heal-y types to see your bar.

Visit lfg and see if there's anything interesting to drop in. That's always a choice.

I am in a very casual guild, but generally people are all doing their own thing. Sometimes they ask for company or somebody asks if anybody could use the company. I am fine there just for the banter, it makes the gaming experience more enjoyable when there's friendly talk here and there.

Beyond that, I just set my own goals, roam around, and help whenever possible. Today I did a sandswept isles experiment chamber meta on my scrapper, I played healer saving all those downed players. :P I wanna believe I did good support there, even if few people had time to type "ty" in all that chaos. n_n

Try to find a likeminded group or one that likes doing what you like doing. Be picky and only join if you feel welcome. GW2 can be a solo game and you don't miss out on much besides maybe guild missions(an abandoned part of the game anyway) or other group activities depending on the guild(some guilds wvw together, organize guild events or coordinate raid or fractal groups). Some ppl enjoy the banter in chat or like to join regional groups(players from the same city/country) to maybe meet up in RL.

I played solo for almost 3 years before joining a guild. It took a bit of bouncing around before I found one I really liked. Basically, I have to option to join in when group events are happening, and I'm happy to occasionally help guildies when they need to group for something. However, I don't usually take part in guild missions or scheduled events for the same reasons you have. I prefer to do my own thing, and in my guild that's not a problem. I'll never be a top-tiered officer but so what? Being in a guild is a net benefit because of the social aspect and because it provides the opportunity to do the group stuff (and people to help when you want to do it) without obligations to take part in any specific event. My advice is to find a casual guild where you aren't expected to do otherwise.

I, too, played solo for like 3 ~ 4 years. I was in guilds, but it was like i wasn't (because ppl never talk, never interact, or do things togheter).

After i've joined ONE guild that was really active and ppl done a lot of content, it is amazing how great that people are :D

Then, about 5 months ago, i've joined a WvW guild (was invited in the heart of the mists and dude paid half my transfer to his server, OUT OF NOTHING, love you Blane!). And this was the great divider on my GW2 experience. I've learned so much from this guys, so much laughs, every wvw raid is something i'm expecting, i'm anxious to do. TBH i just kept playing GW2 because of this guys!

As other people have said being in a guild doesn't mean you're committing to playing with them, on their schedule and there's no reason you can't be in a guild and remain mainly a solo player.

I'm in 2 active guilds and when I joined both I was very clear with them that I could not commit to being online at specific times or days and that I did not want to sign up to a whole list of mandatory events, and both said that's fine. One guild is quite structured - they have a weekly schedule of activities which happen each evening for about 2 hours - but it's entirely up to each person whether they join in or not and no consequences if you don't, even if you're online at the time. The other is much less organised, it's pretty much a group of people who chat together while playing solo and help each other out when needed but again there's no commitment.

The benefit for me is firstly having a regular group of people to talk to - I can carry on an interesting conversation while map hopping instead of having to hang around because the conversation is in map chat, and of course talking to the same people every time you're online you get to know each other and can have on-going and more interesting conversations.

And secondly it's an established group with established 'rules' and ways of doing things which makes it easier to find people to play with. If I ask for help in Fractals I don't have to explain that I have to do the lower tiers because I have almost no AR and I probably haven't done that Fractal in months, and I'm using a weird build which you won't recognise from any website, because they're my guild and they know all that and I know none of that matters to them - we'll get through it and that's all that matters. Likewise I know which of the people joining in could do it in their sleep and will have the perfect build and which are as clueless as I am, so I know what to expect from them and the group as a whole.

Two elements of my daily money-making routine necessitate groups, including my grouping for my daily T4 fractals. You shouldn't get anxious about that type of grouping. List the group in LFG, wait for people to join, start the fractal. You really don't need to say a single word if you don't want to.

As for guilds, I'm a member of five guilds but have guild chat disabled. However, I'm still able to re-enable my guild chat and toss out a copy/pasted "anyone for [dungeon/fractal/etc]?" when I need more people to complete an activity.

Of all the MMOs I've played GW2 is the one that makes it easiest to play the game solo. For events that require extra bodies, it's easy to grab help from other players on the map. For instanced content the LFG tool is very good, and because of the megaserver, you have access to a lot of players.

Is there an advantage to being in a guild? Socially, I say yes, since you get to know the players you will be grouping with, and can share experiences and stories about it afterwards. But is it necessary? I don't think so.

Guilds in GW2 are stupidly easy to get into though, so I see no harm in taking that plunge. If it doesn't work out, just leave :)

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > @"Kunzaito.8169" said:

> > > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > The term "noob" does not refer to new players.

> >

> > It literally does. It's a shortened and derogatory form of the term "newbie," which is a term for someone who is new to and inexperienced at some kind of activity.

>

> Not quite, it refers mockingly to veteran players who still act like you would expect a new player to act.

LOL, so your saying what Kunzaito said "someone who is new to and inexperienced" is wrong, what it really means is your calling a veteran player "someone who is new to and inexperienced"? Do you see it yet? It's ONLY mockingly to a veteran player because you are actually saying they are a "newbie", with no experiance or have no idea what they are doing. LOL, kids these days!

Guilds can do things for the player. Make waypoints cost less, give higher running speeds in towns, give 24 hour enhancements to your choice of several enhancements like gathering karma and experience. You can still do the solo thing, or find people that do things you want to do in a guild. Most guilds now have discord or other voice chat you may find that fun too.

First off...WOW, I am amazed not only the number of responses, but at how quickly it happened. Thank you for taking the time, you have all given me plenty to think about. I will check out LFG, I think that is a great place to start. I have used it for Halloween LAB runs and Bounties before, and had good results with them. Thank you.

Second....In regards to the term, "noob". It wasn't my intention to start a side bar discussion, and maybe I should start another thread altogether, but since it is already going on here I will clarify. "Newbie" does indeed refer to anyone who is new to something, and can seen as affectionate. "Noob" is a term I have heard many times over the years (25+) in the trades, and is used mainly by older workers to single out new hires. Sort of saying "we were here first, and therefore we are better", and it becomes exclusionary. Us and you. We should be welcoming new players, not be rude to them. So they screw up, we all started at some point. That is why I dislike the term "noob". It gets thrown by vet players, who know more and have played more, but don't bother to impart anything helpful.

Whew, cr#p, sorry. Thought I would get that out there.

Thank you so much for the advise. Now if you excuse me I am going to log on.

Stay Solo. People suck.

Naw jk, in all seriousness, I'm a solo player, has been from the start, and I do what you do. Hop into the game with no obligations to anything, play for a bit, leave once I've had my fill. Try to be helpful, but owe nothing to no one. Do whatever, just don't be a dick, because people are usually awesome.

You sound like a sweetie. Anyway, on to the answer. Do what makes you feel comfortable; if you're uneasy joining a group, don't. I mean, you're already helping people by coming to their aid. Trust me, that is more than some people do. I'm sure they appreciated your help. I know I would. <3

While I am neutral about the term 'noob', I do think that the attitude that anyone new to something is to be discouraged or insulted is extremely lame. If someone used it as an insult, I'd want nothing to do with that player. In general, 'elitism' in an MMO is something I have no use for.

> @"Sabre.5940" said:

> Since I started about 5 - 6 years back, I have been a solo player. I fully enjoy the fluidity of map bouncing and jump into any random event that happens to be nearby. I do log on every night, but the idea that I would have to log on out of an obligation to a group, has made me steer clear of Guilds and Squads. I did start my own guild just so people would stop sending me invites,( and mainly so I could have an emblem on my armor). I am always happy and willing to rush to aid a downed player, or anyone who looks like they are about to be overwhelmed, and I have even helped out a few new comers (i dislike the term noobs) till they get their footing. But at the core I am still running a solo game, and having a great time (by the by). But now I am wondering if maybe I am missing out on something bigger, and should I be more open to groups? How does one go about this? I am always happy to help anyone who asks, but don't feel comfortable asking for myself. (this is also a real world issue for me, too. So there's that) Any advise, or off hand flippant comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

Do you want to play with others? If so, then do it. It's not complicated. :)