Gems equal support

Goettel.4389

I can safely say I have wholeheartedly supported Anet. 3 Full Guild Wars accounts and 2 factions and 2 nightfall stand alone , my main account got up to 23 Character slots and I also brought skins.

This game I have got 2 complete accounts, brought all the seasons I need on both. Every so often the four accounts we have in house all receive 2k gems.

I would like an expansion. If it's cantha then I will be delighted. And buying 4 copies, no doubt.

However I am still living on an empty hope that the next one will be my beloved area. Or we will ever get there.

Never stopped me supporting the game - whatever they do will need funding.

Or for us to continue playing.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I considered buying gems. But my conclusions ended in a different way.

Why should I show support for the game when, on a whole, I've been heavily disappointed by it in recent months? Were it not for the strong core concepts of the game, I surely would have moved on long ago. To hear that these lapses in quality are likely the result of many developers being moved off GW2 in favor of other projects, with no shred of evidence to the contrary, only makes me question the idea of supporting GW2 further. If Anet does not believe in this game, then why should I?

> @"Goettel.4389" said:

> > @"Mikali.9651" said:

> > sry but I am not charity. I will gladly pay for the real content which is not just a new LS chapter or gem store "content".

>

> To me it's not "charity" to support things I love.

That's practically the dictionary definition of charity.

> @"Wubbbi.8172" said:

> > @"Mikali.9651" said:

> > sry but I am not charity. I will gladly pay for the real content which is not just a new LS chapter or gem store "content".

>

> This comment is making me angry! You got 5 LS4 episodes for free so far and haven't paid a dime for it. And yet you have the audacity to say "I will gladly pay for the real content which is not just a new LS chapter"? Shame on you! I would gladly pay for a new LS chapter. $5 is a good price for a chapter considering the content we get. Do you even think about how much work goes into 1 chapter? The textures/models, the map, voices, quests, story, events, network, one came out with a new mount, new legendarys (and even more). ... These people get PAID to do that work. And you get it for FREE! And yet you sit own your comfortable behind and say this? ... As I said, shame on you!!!

>

> In my opinion Living World, especially LS4, reached expansion quality! I am still suprised that ANet is giving it out for free! While I do not want to jinx anything, I want you guys to think about it.

You trying to guilt players into paying Anet money? Extortion, maybe?

If you're so willing to buy the new LS chapter, just make a new account and buy it. But you're getting it for free because you log in for it. So shame on you for not practicing what you preach.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > @"Wubbbi.8172" said:

> > > @"Mikali.9651" said:

> > > sry but I am not charity. I will gladly pay for the real content which is not just a new LS chapter or gem store "content".

> >

> > This comment is making me angry! You got 5 LS4 episodes for free so far and haven't paid a dime for it. And yet you have the audacity to say "I will gladly pay for the real content which is not just a new LS chapter"? Shame on you! I would gladly pay for a new LS chapter. $5 is a good price for a chapter considering the content we get. Do you even think about how much work goes into 1 chapter? The textures/models, the map, voices, quests, story, events, network, one came out with a new mount, new legendarys (and even more). ... These people get PAID to do that work. And you get it for FREE! And yet you sit own your comfortable behind and say this? ... As I said, shame on you!!!

> >

> > In my opinion Living World, especially LS4, reached expansion quality! I am still suprised that ANet is giving it out for free! While I do not want to jinx anything, I want you guys to think about it.

>

> You trying to guilt players into paying Anet money? Extortion, maybe?

>

> If you're so willing to buy the new LS chapter, just make a new account and buy it. But you're getting it for free because you log in for it. So shame on you for not practicing what you preach.

Hahaha, don't turn things around the way you like! Your comment does not refelect what I wanted to say. Not at all! You just interpreted my post and moved things around in a way to counter me. Read again and think about it (or don't, I don't care). I am not going to get into your statement because it is not what I said and not what I meant. This is just ridiculous. You didn't get it, I am sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I’ve bought lots of gems until today, out of interest for supporting anet (i wouldnt buy keys or fun stuff otherwise)

I have no intention to continue spending gems for the sake of supporting anet if most of that money goes to other games/products.

I’ll only spends gems on the things I would’ve absolutely bought otherwise

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> Also, rather than suggesting to others unhealthy purchasing practices, how about this:

>

> 1. You log into the game and look at the Gem Store

> 2. Oh, that's something I might want.

> 3. And the price is good.

> 4. Buy gems

> 5. Get item

>

> The end.

This. There is what looks suspiciously like desperation in an attempt by single consumers to try to "support" a gaming company that is not, by its own admission, in desperate straights. The consumer model suggested by Leo G is a far better model for consumers. Company makes something consumers want to buy. Consumers buy that something. Company gets the message that value offered correlates with revenue.

ANet's business model is that the _game_ is priced as a product/service bundle. Anyone posting here has paid the price asked by ANet for that product/service. ANet then sells gems which are used to get convenience/cosmetic items which can enhance enjoyment of the game. Buy gems if you want to buy one of those items. If you're buying gems because you're afraid the product/service will go away, then you're sending the message that the company can charge far more for the product/service. This skews the value-->revenue correlation.

Do what you want, of course. You will anyway. However, be aware that businesses are about making money. If you tell them that you're willing to throw money at them in excess of fair market value, then they will take advantage of that. That's a disservice to your fellow consumers who want companies to produce value for the consumers' money.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > @"Mikali.9651" said:

>

> There isn't anything charitable about it. You buy something, you aren't just giving away.

The OP pretty specifically suggested that people buy gems even if they are disinclined to do so for the value of the gems. Asking that people give the company money even if they arent interested in buying the products listed for sale is asking for charity IMO.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> Also, rather than suggesting to others unhealthy purchasing practices, how about this:

>

> 1. You log into the game and look at the Gem Store

> 2. Oh, that's something I might want.

> 3. And the price is good.

> 4. Buy gems

> 5. Get item

>

> The end.

There is a difference between unhealthy purchases and wanting to support a company. If you have extra money and feel like spending it on gems to help support arenanet run their game, there's nothing wrong about that, nor unhealthy. This is of course assuming that your money usage is, generally speaking, healthy. If it is unhealthy in other areas of life, unhealthy spending in this game is likely not the only problem and not related to GW2 whatsoever.

> @"Wubbbi.8172" said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > @"Wubbbi.8172" said:

> > > > @"Mikali.9651" said:

> > > > sry but I am not charity. I will gladly pay for the real content which is not just a new LS chapter or gem store "content".

> > >

> > > This comment is making me angry! You got 5 LS4 episodes for free so far and haven't paid a dime for it. And yet you have the audacity to say "I will gladly pay for the real content which is not just a new LS chapter"? Shame on you! I would gladly pay for a new LS chapter. $5 is a good price for a chapter considering the content we get. Do you even think about how much work goes into 1 chapter? The textures/models, the map, voices, quests, story, events, network, one came out with a new mount, new legendarys (and even more). ... These people get PAID to do that work. And you get it for FREE! And yet you sit own your comfortable behind and say this? ... As I said, shame on you!!!

> > >

> > > In my opinion Living World, especially LS4, reached expansion quality! I am still suprised that ANet is giving it out for free! While I do not want to jinx anything, I want you guys to think about it.

> >

> > You trying to guilt players into paying Anet money? Extortion, maybe?

> >

> > If you're so willing to buy the new LS chapter, just make a new account and buy it. But you're getting it for free because you log in for it. So shame on you for not practicing what you preach.

>

> Hahaha, don't turn things around the way you like! Your comment does not refelect what I wanted to say. Not at all! You just interpreted my post and moved things around in a way to counter me. Read again and think about it (or don't, I don't care). I am not going to get into your statement because it is not what I said and not what I meant. This is just ridiculous. You didn't get it, I am sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Did you not twist someone's post into shaming them for not donating money in exchange for content Anet gives away for free? For one, you should really reassess ever shaming anyone for something so trivial. For two, think about attaining some self awareness so you understand the double standard you try to hold others to but not yourself.

> @"Cerioth.7062" said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > Also, rather than suggesting to others unhealthy purchasing practices, how about this:

> >

> > 1. You log into the game and look at the Gem Store

> > 2. Oh, that's something I might want.

> > 3. And the price is good.

> > 4. Buy gems

> > 5. Get item

> >

> > The end.

>

> There is a difference between unhealthy purchases and wanting to support a company. If you have extra money and feel like spending it on gems to help support arenanet run their game, there's nothing wrong about that, nor unhealthy. This is of course assuming that your money usage is, generally speaking, healthy. If it is unhealthy in other areas of life, unhealthy spending in this game is likely not the only problem and not related to GW2 whatsoever.

I was speaking more in terms of suggesting to others what they should do with their money. What I outlined is basically what Anet expects you to do, which is just normal capitalism. I don't know what the OP is going on about...

Also, I don't really know what "extra money" is. I guess if someone else offers to buy me gems, that's kinda extra money. But if I find $20 in the yard or something, that's gas money lol If I get a bonus, that's going in my savings. If Anet puts something I want for sale and I already spent my games budget, I'm now spending my food or entertainment money.

I usually spend around $100 or more a month on gems. I consider it my guilty pleasure. I will buy BL keys every now and then when the contents look good, sure it's gambling but I enjoy it and want to support the game. I could probably buy a new car with all the money I have spent on this game for myself and friends, but it would not be nearly as much fun.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > @"Wubbbi.8172" said:

> > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > > @"Wubbbi.8172" said:

> > > > > @"Mikali.9651" said:

> > > > > sry but I am not charity. I will gladly pay for the real content which is not just a new LS chapter or gem store "content".

> > > >

> > > > This comment is making me angry! You got 5 LS4 episodes for free so far and haven't paid a dime for it. And yet you have the audacity to say "I will gladly pay for the real content which is not just a new LS chapter"? Shame on you! I would gladly pay for a new LS chapter. $5 is a good price for a chapter considering the content we get. Do you even think about how much work goes into 1 chapter? The textures/models, the map, voices, quests, story, events, network, one came out with a new mount, new legendarys (and even more). ... These people get PAID to do that work. And you get it for FREE! And yet you sit own your comfortable behind and say this? ... As I said, shame on you!!!

> > > >

> > > > In my opinion Living World, especially LS4, reached expansion quality! I am still suprised that ANet is giving it out for free! While I do not want to jinx anything, I want you guys to think about it.

> > >

> > > You trying to guilt players into paying Anet money? Extortion, maybe?

> > >

> > > If you're so willing to buy the new LS chapter, just make a new account and buy it. But you're getting it for free because you log in for it. So shame on you for not practicing what you preach.

> >

> > Hahaha, don't turn things around the way you like! Your comment does not refelect what I wanted to say. Not at all! You just interpreted my post and moved things around in a way to counter me. Read again and think about it (or don't, I don't care). I am not going to get into your statement because it is not what I said and not what I meant. This is just ridiculous. You didn't get it, I am sorry ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

>

> Did you not twist someone's post into shaming them for not donating money in exchange for content Anet gives away for free? For one, you should really reassess ever shaming anyone for something so trivial. For two, think about attaining some self awareness so you understand the double standard you try to hold others to but not yourself.

Ridiculous! I see you did not read my posts properly (Again!). This is the last time I am going to respond to you because again, you are missing the point. I don't "twist" anyone to pay ANet money. I honestly don't care if people pay money to ANet or not. I really don't! Again, I am not going into your post because you clearly don't understand what I was trying to say and again you twist words around the way you like. I am going to ignore all future comments by you because there is just no point in having a discussion with you.

Have a nice day

How does it feel to know that your gem spending was being siphoned for non GW2 ventures and that as a result of them neglecting GW2 - the MMO that will be forever known for failing to reach its potential - that you lost content such as:

- Legendary journeys such as nevermore. Too much work because they put so many devs on other projects.

- Multiple raid wings a year. Not enough devs working on the projects.

- Still no polymock and minis are horrendously implemented anyway. No devs working on that project.

- Super adventure box was and is still neglected for no reason other than no devs working on it.

- WvW needs a graphic (and some mechanical) facelift because it's totally outdated now. No one working on this.

- PvP STILL needs build templates. No one working on this for some reason.

- No effort being put into decreasing graphical chaos and clutter. More just gets added.

And there is lots more.

The ONLY thing your gems was being used for in GW2 was for the living story which even the PvE players have finally gotten sick of. So much missed potential it's embarrassing. If you buy gems / have been buying gems then that means that you are "okay" with their decision to only do living story and neglect everything else.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > @"Cerioth.7062" said:

> > > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > Also, rather than suggesting to others unhealthy purchasing practices, how about this:

> > >

> > > 1. You log into the game and look at the Gem Store

> > > 2. Oh, that's something I might want.

> > > 3. And the price is good.

> > > 4. Buy gems

> > > 5. Get item

> > >

> > > The end.

> >

> > There is a difference between unhealthy purchases and wanting to support a company. If you have extra money and feel like spending it on gems to help support arenanet run their game, there's nothing wrong about that, nor unhealthy. This is of course assuming that your money usage is, generally speaking, healthy. If it is unhealthy in other areas of life, unhealthy spending in this game is likely not the only problem and not related to GW2 whatsoever.

>

> I was speaking more in terms of suggesting to others what they should do with their money. What I outlined is basically what Anet expects you to do, which is just normal capitalism. I don't know what the OP is going on about...

>

> Also, I don't really know what "extra money" is. I guess if someone else offers to buy me gems, that's kinda extra money. But if I find $20 in the yard or something, that's gas money lol If I get a bonus, that's going in my savings. If Anet puts something I want for sale and I already spent my games budget, I'm now spending my food or entertainment money.

Oh yeah I agree, you cannot force anyone to spend money on the game and I think they should want to spend on it for things they enjoy.

Hmm. I guess "extra money" simply depends on the household and what you like to do and how you manage money. I do not have a lot of income. I have money that goes to bills and food, money that goes to savings, and a set amount of money that I allow myself to use on anything entertainment wise - a new game, gw2 gems, movie tickets, something like that. I reckon there might be others like that. That is what I meant by extra money.

well... that the thing, anet kinda drove themselves into this position with how much liquid gold there is in the economy, but the of gold to gem conversion has not raised as much as the amount of liquid gold that's injected.remember back in the days where getting 100g took months for a casual? these days you can get that much gold within days playing even more casuallyif the conversion rate was raised, then people would buy more gems more often

though I may be just a tiny fish amongst the big whales, I will continue to support the GW2 devs with my USD$100 per purchase as i had in the past![](https://i.imgur.com/FE9qStU.png "")PS: now [introduce a gem store item to turn those outfits into armor skins](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/769235#Comment_769235 "introduce a gem store item to turn those outfits into armor skins") like i had suggested **PLEASE**, and i will purchase those gem store outfit and turn them into armor ...i would say the inability to use just a part of outfit to be part of players' dressing theme was a strategic miscalculation, what was viewed as a strategic fix by focusing on creating more outfits had become a tactical fix...... throw away an entire toon's skinning theme for a full suit of outfit is too much of compromise... **MAKE FASHION WARS GREAT AGAIN!!!**![](https://i.imgur.com/yf6GiBN.png "")