Anet just tell us what to expect please

InvaGir.9158

> @"RisenHowl.2419" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"RisenHowl.2419" said:

> > > > @"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:

> > > > For unknown reasons. Really? Unknown? Can't even fathom a reason why the employees over at Anet weren't thinking about putting themselves out there on a stream today? Like, no reason at all?

> > > >

> > > > I think its safe to say that its the employees over there that have more cause to worry than any of us that are feeling any trepidation about a game and a new feature they have set to launch.

> > >

> > > when someone at your place of work is fired, do you stop working too? How long do you plan to keep your job if that's the case?

> >

> > Any evidence that they have stopped working?

>

> Wvw stream cancelled, players not informed until 3h after it was scheduled to start. Sound like anyone's working?

You are absolutely correct. A stream not happening is concrete proof that no one is working at all.

> > @"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:

> > For unknown reasons. Really? Unknown? Can't even fathom a reason why the employees over at Anet weren't thinking about putting themselves out there on a stream today? Like, no reason at all?

> >

> > I think its safe to say that its the employees over there that have more cause to worry than any of us that are feeling any trepidation about a game and a new feature they have set to launch.

>

> when someone at your place of work is fired, do you stop working too? How long do you plan to keep your job if that's the case?

They were in the middle of finding out not just about their job security but info regarding the company that their PR people have yet to form public statements on. Opening up people to a stream while still raw from the news they are getting AND not having the company messaging in place is not how one conducts business. Those streams are an "extra" that they do as a kind of customer engagement and it is by no means an obligation. Furthermore your comments assume that they were all standing around the cooler talking on Friday and ignoring you, when in fact they were most likely in meeting after meeting to figure out what their way forward would be from an organizational standpoint, or as you like to put it: they were working/doing their actual jobs.

> @"RubberDougie.2750" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"InvaGir.9158" said:

> > > I hope I could but I'm worried and I was hoping the stream could calm me by providing crucial information so I could prepare myself

> >

> > Consider that you are worried about your hobby, while the people who would be present in the stream might be worried about their jobs. They too would like to prepare for what's coming; you might want to give them a chance to do so.

>

> For the time being, it is STILL THEIR JOB.

their job is to make sure they are supporting their company and handling any coming restructuring and change of duties. That requires internal meetings and planning for the future of the varying departments and staff. That is all internal logistics that are a part of their job. An optional customer engagement in the form of a stream is not actually high on the priority list because it doesn't have to be.

In short, the workings of the company and moving forward and getting that set is their job. Not telling you more about a mount.

> @"RubberDougie.2750" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"InvaGir.9158" said:

> > > I hope I could but I'm worried and I was hoping the stream could calm me by providing crucial information so I could prepare myself

> >

> > Consider that you are worried about your hobby, while the people who would be present in the stream might be worried about their jobs. They too would like to prepare for what's coming; you might want to give them a chance to do so.

>

> For the time being, it is STILL THEIR JOB.

You sure about that?

What if the people who actually get to decide what tasks are assigned to individual employees told them otherwise. If it is not required of them by their employer then NO IT IS NOT STILL THEIR JOB.

> @"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:

> > @"RisenHowl.2419" said:

> > > @"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:

> > > For unknown reasons. Really? Unknown? Can't even fathom a reason why the employees over at Anet weren't thinking about putting themselves out there on a stream today? Like, no reason at all?

> > >

> > > I think its safe to say that its the employees over there that have more cause to worry than any of us that are feeling any trepidation about a game and a new feature they have set to launch.

> >

> > when someone at your place of work is fired, do you stop working too? How long do you plan to keep your job if that's the case?

>

> They were in the middle of finding out not just about their job security but info regarding the company that their PR people have yet to form public statements on. Opening up people to a stream while still raw from the news they are getting AND not having the company messaging in place is not how one conducts business. Those streams are an "extra" that they do as a kind of customer engagement and it is by no means an obligation. Furthermore your comments assume that they were all standing around the cooler talking on Friday and ignoring you, when in fact they were most likely in meeting after meeting to figure out what their way forward would be from an organizational standpoint, or as you like to put it: they were working/doing their actual jobs.

Part of 'doing their actual job' is informing their player base that they are cancelling a stream for new content that has been built up for weeks and cancelled once already. 'Part of their job' is having the courtesy to say it's not going to happen in a reasonable timeframe, not three hours later. That is saying your playerbase's time doesn't matter in an industry that is 100% about retaining players.

It would've taken 10 minutes to send out a message cancelling the stream.

> > @"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:

> > > @"RisenHowl.2419" said:

> > > > @"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:

> > > > For unknown reasons. Really? Unknown? Can't even fathom a reason why the employees over at Anet weren't thinking about putting themselves out there on a stream today? Like, no reason at all?

> > > >

> > > > I think its safe to say that its the employees over there that have more cause to worry than any of us that are feeling any trepidation about a game and a new feature they have set to launch.

> > >

> > > when someone at your place of work is fired, do you stop working too? How long do you plan to keep your job if that's the case?

> >

> > They were in the middle of finding out not just about their job security but info regarding the company that their PR people have yet to form public statements on. Opening up people to a stream while still raw from the news they are getting AND not having the company messaging in place is not how one conducts business. Those streams are an "extra" that they do as a kind of customer engagement and it is by no means an obligation. Furthermore your comments assume that they were all standing around the cooler talking on Friday and ignoring you, when in fact they were most likely in meeting after meeting to figure out what their way forward would be from an organizational standpoint, or as you like to put it: they were working/doing their actual jobs.

>

> Part of 'doing their actual job' is informing their player base that they are cancelling a stream for new content that has been built up for weeks and cancelled once already. 'Part of their job' is having the courtesy to say it's not going to happen in a reasonable timeframe, not three hours later. That is saying your playerbase's time doesn't matter in an industry that is 100% about retaining players.

>

> It would've taken 10 minutes to send out a message cancelling the stream.

Its not part of their job if their employers don't say that it is. Remember, we are the customer, not the employer.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"RisenHowl.2419" said:

> > > @"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:

> > > > @"RisenHowl.2419" said:

> > > > > @"PookieDaWombat.6209" said:

> > > > > For unknown reasons. Really? Unknown? Can't even fathom a reason why the employees over at Anet weren't thinking about putting themselves out there on a stream today? Like, no reason at all?

> > > > >

> > > > > I think its safe to say that its the employees over there that have more cause to worry than any of us that are feeling any trepidation about a game and a new feature they have set to launch.

> > > >

> > > > when someone at your place of work is fired, do you stop working too? How long do you plan to keep your job if that's the case?

> > >

> > > They were in the middle of finding out not just about their job security but info regarding the company that their PR people have yet to form public statements on. Opening up people to a stream while still raw from the news they are getting AND not having the company messaging in place is not how one conducts business. Those streams are an "extra" that they do as a kind of customer engagement and it is by no means an obligation. Furthermore your comments assume that they were all standing around the cooler talking on Friday and ignoring you, when in fact they were most likely in meeting after meeting to figure out what their way forward would be from an organizational standpoint, or as you like to put it: they were working/doing their actual jobs.

> >

> > Part of 'doing their actual job' is informing their player base that they are cancelling a stream for new content that has been built up for weeks and cancelled once already. 'Part of their job' is having the courtesy to say it's not going to happen in a reasonable timeframe, not three hours later. That is saying your playerbase's time doesn't matter in an industry that is 100% about retaining players.

> >

> > It would've taken 10 minutes to send out a message cancelling the stream.

>

> Its not part of their job if their employers don't say that it is. Remember, we are the customer, not the employer.

If the employers are intentionally trying to alienate their playerbase, then this was a really bright move.

If they can't find 10 minutes to say "Sorry, we're cancelling the stream today for internal reasons. More information to follow" then they should probably be on the chopping block too

> If they can't find 10 minutes to say "Sorry, we're cancelling the stream today for internal reasons. More information to follow" then they should probably be on the chopping block too

Completely different topic. I have stated, in another thread, that I think that it was a mistake to not give a heads up that the stream was cancelled. It is still a demonstration of supreme entitlement for a customer to try claiming that they get to decide what an employee's job is.

I kept mentioning it for a long time, NCSoft have a very bad reputation in the gaming industry and when I first learned that ArenaNet are owned by them I was shocked and could predict only the worst.

I wish people at ANet best of luck, hope there is an option for them to continue the franchise independently.

> @"Inoki.6048" said:

> I kept mentioning it for a long time, NCSoft have a very bad reputation in the gaming industry and when I first learned that ArenaNet are owned by them I was shocked and could predict only the worst.

>

> I wish people at ANet best of luck, hope there is an option for them to continue the franchise independently.

Nope, City of Heroes was owned by NCSoft. If it's anything like that, NCSoft will hold on to all rights to Guild Wars and never let anybody touch it with a 10' pole without possibly being sued into oblivion.

> @"GDchiaScrub.3241" said:

> > @"Kaiser.9873" said:

> > I agree the news would have me on my tiptoes at work if there were news of layoffs. However, I would make sure I was doing the absolute best, most thorough job I could do to, hopefully, make sure it wasn't me.

>

> With no guarantees of pay most normal people wouldn't work for free. While it is claimed those laid off get a 2 months severance package that remains to be seen. When it comes to money issue sometimes it isn't job performance but how much you might cost the company. Besides, what message would players expect from ANET? It appears most didn't even learn about it until after an [outside article](https://kotaku.com/guild-wars-2-developer-arenanet-plans-for-mass-layoffs-1832799804 "outside article") was posted. Surely they are a bit busy getting their things in order. It should also be noted NCsoft is playing a heavier hand rather than all responsibility lying on ANET.

>

> D:

People are getting laid off, the studio isn't bankrupt. This isn't a Taletell games situation here.

Imagine a box

It's not a very exciting box

Nor is it a very dull box

The box is sealed

You cannot see inside the box

You cannot touch the box

You cannot open the box

You are told there may be something in the box

You are not told what is in the box

You stare intently at the box

Just out of reach, ever calling for you to open the box

You are told you can open the box Soon™

When it's ready

The box lies there

Ever waiting

Ever wondering

> @"Bristingr.5034" said:

> > @"GDchiaScrub.3241" said:

> > > @"Kaiser.9873" said:

> > > I agree the news would have me on my tiptoes at work if there were news of layoffs. However, I would make sure I was doing the absolute best, most thorough job I could do to, hopefully, make sure it wasn't me.

> >

> > With no guarantees of pay most normal people wouldn't work for free. While it is claimed those laid off get a 2 months severance package that remains to be seen. When it comes to money issue sometimes it isn't job performance but how much you might cost the company. Besides, what message would players expect from ANET? It appears most didn't even learn about it until after an [outside article](https://kotaku.com/guild-wars-2-developer-arenanet-plans-for-mass-layoffs-1832799804 "outside article") was posted. Surely they are a bit busy getting their things in order. It should also be noted NCsoft is playing a heavier hand rather than all responsibility lying on ANET.

> >

> > D:

>

> People are getting laid off, the studio isn't bankrupt. This isn't a Taletell games situation here.

"Remains to be seen" are the words I chose. Another way to put it: wait and see who is getting cut. I don't see how your statement changes anything said above, but by all means enlighten me. Perhaps your lay off experience is different from mine.

> @"tom.4051" said:

> Imagine a box

> It's not a very exciting box

> Nor is it a very dull box

> The box is sealed

> You cannot see inside the box

> You cannot touch the box

> You cannot open the box

> You are told there may be something in the box

> You are not told what is in the box

> You stare intently at the box

> Just out of reach, ever calling for you to open the box