"Guild Wars 2 will not get a third expansion, at least not any time soon" - Mike Z

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > TBH.. ANET are now running at pre launch /launch headcount so I think it can function and develop just fine..

> Remember, that it's the headcount that was originally barely sufficient to maintain LS update schedule (we heard later that they were stretched very thin then), and was completely unable to sustain expac development alongside LS.

>

> > @"Balsa.3951" said:

> > Aaand there u go the LS gave u 2 mounts what would stop anet from giving u an Elite Spec with LS if they sees its financial more beneficial that way ? Is there some magic in x pac that only this format can do that ?

> Yes. It's called money. You pay for expac (quite a lot). Most of the players do not play for LS however. You could probably bundle it in a DLC, but i'm pretty sure the PR of doing that would be absolutely horrible.

>

>

The headcount was not the issue.. the original LS cadence was they changed that up and rightly so, which is why I have also said I personally wouldn't have an issue with that cadence stretching out a little more , it may yield a boost to the quality and maybe the quantity within the LS episodes.. if that means the expac model as we came to know has to also change up, then so be it. Personally I would much prefer maybe a 4 episode LS chapter beefed up more meaty over the same 2 yr period.

Add to that what else was going on inside ANET at that time, what else if anything was underway.. I for one would think perhaps some of these "cancelled projects" were already being planned, ground work being laid prior to significant headcount increase, which was not for LS/expac work alone... otherwise a full core game development would of likely been much longer to bring to fruition.. but I guess that's the thing, none of us really know anything to solidly base our opinions off.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> The headcount was not the issue.. the original LS cadence was

Cadence might have been a cause of their problem with LS1 and LS2, but it definitely wasn't a cause for being unable to work on expac and LS at the same time. There was a massive content drought both before and after HoT that was a result of just this - them just not having enough manpower to work on more than one project at a time.

> @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > Focusing on PvE results in a dead game for those of us who do not focus on PvE

> > Again, how is that different today from last month? In January, people were already convinced that PvE got all the attention and WvW & PvP got almost no dev time and true or not, it's easy to see why.

> >

> > But now, in March, what evidence is there that they are focusing relatively more on PvE than they were planning to do before the layoffs?

> >

> > > Now for PvE focused players, the game is not dead and will probably flourish more with the extra focus..

> > To what extra focus are you referring?

> > First, it's entirely speculative that ANet had fewer than 250 positions allocated outside of GW2, so that somehow losing budget for those "other projects" is going to result in a massive change of attention to GW2. Second, even if that were true (and the little data we have doesn't really support it or is at best ambivalent), there's absolutely no indication of what ANet plans to do now.

> >

> > > Its all a matter of perspective.

> > Not in this case, because there isn't enough known yet to have a perspective about, different or otherwise.

> >

> > ****

> > Unless you somehow have access to information the rest of us haven't yet seen, it's going to be a while before we outsiders have any real clue as to whether ANet will weather the storm, thrive in it, or be diminished. That goes for Living World, Raids, Fractals, as well as WvW, EotM, PvP Seasons, and PvP in general.

> >

> > The only thing we really know is that ANet lost 143 individuals and the company is going to have to work at it just to maintain the status quo.

> >

>

> I dont want to be rude and explain extremely simple things, either you understand or you dont.

In this case, you seem to be under the misapprehension that we know anything at all about what ANet's plans are. So it's simply inaccurate to claim, as you have, that PvE will be getting relatively more attention due to the budget cuts. It might get more; it might get less.

Business decisions are rarely "extremely simple things," although perhaps you aren't taking into account the monumental task ANet has to just keep things running as they did a month ago, after losing 143 people.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > Focusing on PvE results in a dead game for those of us who do not focus on PvE

> > > Again, how is that different today from last month? In January, people were already convinced that PvE got all the attention and WvW & PvP got almost no dev time and true or not, it's easy to see why.

> > >

> > > But now, in March, what evidence is there that they are focusing relatively more on PvE than they were planning to do before the layoffs?

> > >

> > > > Now for PvE focused players, the game is not dead and will probably flourish more with the extra focus..

> > > To what extra focus are you referring?

> > > First, it's entirely speculative that ANet had fewer than 250 positions allocated outside of GW2, so that somehow losing budget for those "other projects" is going to result in a massive change of attention to GW2. Second, even if that were true (and the little data we have doesn't really support it or is at best ambivalent), there's absolutely no indication of what ANet plans to do now.

> > >

> > > > Its all a matter of perspective.

> > > Not in this case, because there isn't enough known yet to have a perspective about, different or otherwise.

> > >

> > > ****

> > > Unless you somehow have access to information the rest of us haven't yet seen, it's going to be a while before we outsiders have any real clue as to whether ANet will weather the storm, thrive in it, or be diminished. That goes for Living World, Raids, Fractals, as well as WvW, EotM, PvP Seasons, and PvP in general.

> > >

> > > The only thing we really know is that ANet lost 143 individuals and the company is going to have to work at it just to maintain the status quo.

> > >

> >

> > I dont want to be rude and explain extremely simple things, either you understand or you dont.

> In this case, you seem to be under the misapprehension that we know anything at all about what ANet's plans are. So it's simply inaccurate to claim, as you have, that PvE will be getting relatively more attention due to the budget cuts. It might get more; it might get less.

>

> Business decisions are rarely "extremely simple things," although perhaps you aren't taking into account the monumental task ANet has to just keep things running as they did a month ago, after losing 143 people.

See that's where you're mistaken, I never said any of that.

You're not even on the same subject for that matter.

I'm saying that if it's true that there will be no more expansions and just LS only then for WvW/PvP there will be essentially nothing..

Elite specs provide players like myself a whole new set of PvP builds to theory craft and use and learn to counter and so forth, that's pretty much our main content from every expansion.

> @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > > Focusing on PvE results in a dead game for those of us who do not focus on PvE

> > > > Again, how is that different today from last month? In January, people were already convinced that PvE got all the attention and WvW & PvP got almost no dev time and true or not, it's easy to see why.

> > > >

> > > > But now, in March, what evidence is there that they are focusing relatively more on PvE than they were planning to do before the layoffs?

> > > >

> > > > > Now for PvE focused players, the game is not dead and will probably flourish more with the extra focus..

> > > > To what extra focus are you referring?

> > > > First, it's entirely speculative that ANet had fewer than 250 positions allocated outside of GW2, so that somehow losing budget for those "other projects" is going to result in a massive change of attention to GW2. Second, even if that were true (and the little data we have doesn't really support it or is at best ambivalent), there's absolutely no indication of what ANet plans to do now.

> > > >

> > > > > Its all a matter of perspective.

> > > > Not in this case, because there isn't enough known yet to have a perspective about, different or otherwise.

> > > >

> > > > ****

> > > > Unless you somehow have access to information the rest of us haven't yet seen, it's going to be a while before we outsiders have any real clue as to whether ANet will weather the storm, thrive in it, or be diminished. That goes for Living World, Raids, Fractals, as well as WvW, EotM, PvP Seasons, and PvP in general.

> > > >

> > > > The only thing we really know is that ANet lost 143 individuals and the company is going to have to work at it just to maintain the status quo.

> > > >

> > >

> > > I dont want to be rude and explain extremely simple things, either you understand or you dont.

> > In this case, you seem to be under the misapprehension that we know anything at all about what ANet's plans are. So it's simply inaccurate to claim, as you have, that PvE will be getting relatively more attention due to the budget cuts. It might get more; it might get less.

> >

> > Business decisions are rarely "extremely simple things," although perhaps you aren't taking into account the monumental task ANet has to just keep things running as they did a month ago, after losing 143 people.

>

> See that's where you're mistaken, I never said any of that.

> You're not even on the same subject for that matter.

>

> I'm saying that if it's true that there will be no more expansions and just LS only then for WvW/PvP there will be essentially nothing..

> Elite specs provide players like myself a whole new set of PvP builds to theory craft and use and learn to counter and so forth, that's pretty much our main content from every expansion.

>

>

Unless, of course, ANet decides to include elite specs and other meta impacting elements in some LS chapters.

> @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > @"sephiroth.4217" said:

> > > > > > Focusing on PvE results in a dead game for those of us who do not focus on PvE

> > > > > Again, how is that different today from last month? In January, people were already convinced that PvE got all the attention and WvW & PvP got almost no dev time and true or not, it's easy to see why.

> > > > >

> > > > > But now, in March, what evidence is there that they are focusing relatively more on PvE than they were planning to do before the layoffs?

> > > > >

> > > > > > Now for PvE focused players, the game is not dead and will probably flourish more with the extra focus..

> > > > > To what extra focus are you referring?

> > > > > First, it's entirely speculative that ANet had fewer than 250 positions allocated outside of GW2, so that somehow losing budget for those "other projects" is going to result in a massive change of attention to GW2. Second, even if that were true (and the little data we have doesn't really support it or is at best ambivalent), there's absolutely no indication of what ANet plans to do now.

> > > > >

> > > > > > Its all a matter of perspective.

> > > > > Not in this case, because there isn't enough known yet to have a perspective about, different or otherwise.

> > > > >

> > > > > ****

> > > > > Unless you somehow have access to information the rest of us haven't yet seen, it's going to be a while before we outsiders have any real clue as to whether ANet will weather the storm, thrive in it, or be diminished. That goes for Living World, Raids, Fractals, as well as WvW, EotM, PvP Seasons, and PvP in general.

> > > > >

> > > > > The only thing we really know is that ANet lost 143 individuals and the company is going to have to work at it just to maintain the status quo.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > I dont want to be rude and explain extremely simple things, either you understand or you dont.

> > > In this case, you seem to be under the misapprehension that we know anything at all about what ANet's plans are. So it's simply inaccurate to claim, as you have, that PvE will be getting relatively more attention due to the budget cuts. It might get more; it might get less.

> > >

> > > Business decisions are rarely "extremely simple things," although perhaps you aren't taking into account the monumental task ANet has to just keep things running as they did a month ago, after losing 143 people.

> >

> > See that's where you're mistaken, I never said any of that.

> > You're not even on the same subject for that matter.

> >

> > I'm saying that if it's true that there will be no more expansions and just LS only then for WvW/PvP there will be essentially nothing..

> > Elite specs provide players like myself a whole new set of PvP builds to theory craft and use and learn to counter and so forth, that's pretty much our main content from every expansion.

> >

> >

>

> Unless, of course, ANet decides to include elite specs and other meta impacting elements in some LS chapters.

As long as I don't need to PvE for it then good with me lol

Mount are here to stay but I have to admit it has reduced the scope of the world for me. Zip here, bounce there, maps nearly all discovered. Take PoF core maps, they really just felt like any new LW map due to mount traveling. I've noticed even the new vistas and pois are all designed with mounts in mind. I'll get to a high spot, swap to my flyer and grab like half the pois in one swoop. It's certainly not personally satisfying as the old ones where you're using your characters abilities and cameras to slowly figure out the puzzle.

So then what's left to separate an expansion with LW episodes now in the age of mounts? Well elite specializations are the most that stands out, but they probably could release those as a major patch. As far as storytelling, they could do the same with LW to continue that.

Either way, it's worrying when companies starting working on the mobile market, it's a very contrary type of player to your PC gamer. But from a financial standpoint I can understand, but it's a very fleeting and shallow market and the p2w aspect is massive. Also mechanically everything is reduced to be accommodating on a more basic platform.

I think the most worrying part of all of is is the plans for a GW3. If LW are rich in content I could go without an official new expansion but I definitely want to play this MMO with a whole brand new engine, fresh start etc. I guess we just wait, see and hope for now.

> @"Balsa.3951" said:

> > @"sigur.9453" said:

> > > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > > To be honest, an entire LW season is essentially an expansion.

> >

> > to be honest. if it wasn´t for mounts & new elites, POF was essentially _just_ a whole LS season.

> >

> > without adding new features, this "new" content is just more of the same. while it may work for others, it is not working for me. would i pay money for those LS releases? never. a new expasion with a CLEAR feature/content list (something like for example: 6maps, 1 new class, housing, 3 raids, 5 new fractals with cm, new pvp mode, wvw changes.........), i would open my wallet instantly

>

> Aaand there u go the LS gave u 2 mounts what would stop anet from giving u an Elite Spec with LS if they sees its financial more beneficial that way ? Is there some magic in x pac that only this format can do that ?

>

> Many mobile games are without suscription and they adding new content on the fly. They are play for free micro transaction only and they so i heard are the new most profitable market...

>

> What Anet could had done and maybe was or is planing is an GW2 Mobile addon which makes it easier for players to buy stuff in game using their mobile.

>

> EDIT / An expansion creates hype Yes but so can do Any form of advertising. GW2 Says welcome gamers join our game for free this summer we roll out this and that and this and its amazing.

>

> or

>

> welcome gamers join our game buy the 2 xpacs plus core game and this summer we roll out an 3third x pac and its amazing.

Adding 1 or two mounts to the game didn't exactly made me flip out that much. While the beatle may be good, It would not sell me a LS episode. Same old, same old, if you know what i mean. I also prefer big releases over tiny bits in episodes. I do not feel any magic, like you have called it with this releases sadly. It al feels gimmicky.

Knowing anets habbit with advertising, I'm pretty sceptic. That might change now, but I do not want to talk about things we don't know yet.

I'll keep waiting for new exiting stuff before I log in again, whatever and whenever that might be.

I love elite specialization, since i have 20+ character i need it for each character.

and expansion can give me those. however, they probably add them in living word 5 ? like 3 new professions which 2 elites each?

or add 3 elites in every episode for 3 episodes.

> @"pah.4931" said:

> Interesting. As someone who never buys gems (skins are so insanely overpriced I can't believe anyone buys them) and almost always quits the game after it gets stale (so few updates and class reworks/balance) ... the only time Anet gets my money and my interest is with expansion releases. I would guess I am not the only one.

>

> Seems like an odd choice. Either their revenue from gems is good enough as it is to keep the game limping along or they are going to start monetizing something else soon...

>

> There has to be some balance between changing how classes play every expansion (WoW) and changing hardly anything for years (GW2) ... I hope some gaming company strikes it.

I bought gems for around 3000 to 4000€ the past 7 years. So they are there, the whales (this is not even half of my monthly income) :joy:

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Bloodstealer.5978" said:

> > The headcount was not the issue.. the original LS cadence was

> Cadence might have been a cause of their problem with LS1 and LS2, but it definitely wasn't a cause for being unable to work on expac and LS at the same time. There was a massive content drought both before and after HoT that was a result of just this - them just not having enough manpower to work on more than one project at a time.

>

>

>

See that's where I disagree.. I think ANET have actually been their own worst enemy since launch in all honesty. It was nice to get assurance that there was going to be this regular cadence of LS.. then later news of HoT expac.. but 2 yrs with a reduced revenue after an initial spike is always going to be a tough ask and still expect to push on with short timeframe LS cadence, which is why it often feltt rushed, limited QA and cut short at times. Now that can come by headcount in the right areas for sure, but I am more inclined to think it came down to time and the further they progressed through their 2 yr cycle perhaps costs began to stifle both the cadence and the creativity of the content.. hence perhaps a reason to of upped headcount early on to kick start their new projects, so as to protect themselves longer term, while revenue was more sustainable.. but as we know the longer things are exposed to the market the less sustainable they become and I think that is a point ANET/NC Soft reach probably months ago, not just last week.

Then again it comes back to what I have said in pretty much every thread that has popped up to flog ANET since the morally deficient Kotaku layoff leak and many of those following .. no one other than ANET and NC Soft know the what, why's and wherefores in all of this.. we are all just guessing stuff based on what we think we see, what we fell and what time of day it is.

I am not saying what you think is wrong, or that what I think may be the case, is right, there are many possible reasons for the decision taken by both ANET and NC Soft since before the launch of the game and we just are not parley to any of it other than some gems on reddit or leaks from internet toilet media. ANET as an experienced game studio would of had many long term plans around the GW2, some will definitely of had to change up or fall back that is just normal business practice as it strives to stay relevant within a competitive industry whilst keeping one eye on all those global forces that conspire every day to challenge the business and its' needs.

Perhaps an expac isn't in the pipeline, but unless ANET are now resigned to receding into the desert sands they will need to do something beyond LS5 for sure, but if they can bring a game like GW2 to fruition and dare to still be different, I think they will do fine whatever direction they choose to push the game in. . if not well I personally am happy with what my money spent got me in return (even though there have been elements that I have taken an ill view on at times)

> @"Balsa.3951" said:

> > @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> > > @"C Cspace Cowboy.5903" said:

> > > They can’t properly balance what they got now and y’all want more profession classes? Lmao

> >

> > Yes. Elite specializations are the most fun thing about expansions aside from a wealth of new regions to explore.

>

> New regions u get with the ls already but it’s sadly also so that with each x pact core professions need to be redone kinda as well to be not broken and it must be done in a way to not affect existing spez.

>

> Sometimes I think Anet didn’t done themselves a favor with that....a full new class could been easier to balance

The thing is one zone every three months doesn't feel anywhere near as good as getting an expansion that drops potentially 5-8 zones in the game at once.

> @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> > @"Balsa.3951" said:

> > > @"mortrialus.3062" said:

> > > > @"C Cspace Cowboy.5903" said:

> > > > They can’t properly balance what they got now and y’all want more profession classes? Lmao

> > >

> > > Yes. Elite specializations are the most fun thing about expansions aside from a wealth of new regions to explore.

> >

> > New regions u get with the ls already but it’s sadly also so that with each x pact core professions need to be redone kinda as well to be not broken and it must be done in a way to not affect existing spez.

> >

> > Sometimes I think Anet didn’t done themselves a favor with that....a full new class could been easier to balance

>

> The thing is one zone every three months doesn't feel anywhere near as good as getting an expansion that drops potentially 5-8 zones in the game at once.

of course more is better but think about it, an x pact is technicaly the same its just like u get 5 LW at once but those need to be build as well and they are build in time. Lets just imagine HOT maps where all LW. U remember maybe at start of Dragon Stand there must be one player who reached that map first what can she he do now?

wait for 100+ player to reach the map as well plus masteries

if it would been gated with lw u would had from day full dragon stand maps to do the metas

> @"Metal.3194" said:

> So, MMORPG released a new article yesterday, in which they mention that during a talk with Mike Z at Gamescon, Mike Z said there wouldn't be a 3rd expansion, or at least any time soon (as we know this could be another 2-3 years, which means IF we do end up seeing a 3rd expansion, it'll likely be in 2021 or 2022, leaving us 4-5 years without expansions, which translates to 4-5 years of no new exposure, no exciting comment, and mostly, less revenue for ANET).

>

> Here's the reference:

>

> "Back in 2018, Mike Z sat down with us at Gamescom and revealed that Guild Wars 2 would not get a third expansion, at least not any time soon. Instead, the Seattle studio would plow on with the Living Story, an episodic injection of content that periodically expands the frontiers of Tyria while edging the narrative of the game further forward. It's a formula that has worked relatively well for some time, and after the incendiary pace of Living Story Season 2, it finally seemed that this might be ArenaNet settling into a sustainable cadence that suited the studio."

>

> You can read more at https://www.mmorpg.com/guild-wars-2/columns/guild-wars-2-more-than-just-a-damage-number-1000013464#PX8XQz63Ol0dTtvM.99 if you feel like reading everything (pretty good article).

>

> Now, we'll have to see if LWS5 will ACTUALLY bring "expansion-like" content (i highly doubt this. It is mostly PR talk to get people hyped). But this brings a problem, LW episodes do NOT bring new players in, at best, it brings some veterans back for 2 hours of content and then they proceed to a (?better?) MMO game.

>

> Discuss.

As you say the comment comes from LAST YEAR and is outdated as such because this is when they were still going with their other projects. It's what he said back then but that was before the layoffs and Ncsoft giving new directions. At this moment I do not know if they will be going back to getting an expansion out more expeditiously but I would welcome that for sure. I have little faith in these LS chapters and to be brutally honest, as replacement for an actual expansion the LS4 chapters have underdelivered so far.

• 3 months later...

> @"Metal.3194" said:

> So, MMORPG released a new article yesterday, in which they mention that during a talk with Mike Z at Gamescon, Mike Z said there wouldn't be a 3rd expansion, or at least any time soon (as we know this could be another 2-3 years, which means IF we do end up seeing a 3rd expansion, it'll likely be in 2021 or 2022, leaving us 4-5 years without expansions, which translates to 4-5 years of no new exposure, no exciting comment, and mostly, less revenue for ANET).

>

> Here's the reference:

>

> "Back in 2018, Mike Z sat down with us at Gamescom and revealed that Guild Wars 2 would not get a third expansion, at least not any time soon. Instead, the Seattle studio would plow on with the Living Story, an episodic injection of content that periodically expands the frontiers of Tyria while edging the narrative of the game further forward. It's a formula that has worked relatively well for some time, and after the incendiary pace of Living Story Season 2, it finally seemed that this might be ArenaNet settling into a sustainable cadence that suited the studio."

>

> You can read more at https://www.mmorpg.com/guild-wars-2/columns/guild-wars-2-more-than-just-a-damage-number-1000013464#PX8XQz63Ol0dTtvM.99 if you feel like reading everything (pretty good article).

>

> Now, we'll have to see if LWS5 will ACTUALLY bring "expansion-like" content (i highly doubt this. It is mostly PR talk to get people hyped). But this brings a problem, LW episodes do NOT bring new players in, at best, it brings some veterans back for 2 hours of content and then they proceed to a (?better?) MMO game.

>

> Discuss.

game is now on autopilot, this is obviously the end conclusion of the layoffs

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> Impressive this 'autopilot' has created all this new content for us, and will continue to do so.

Wasnt gw1 basically considered to be in autopilot while they were working on gw2 when it was getting its lw esque content?

> @"zealex.9410" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > Impressive this 'autopilot' has created all this new content for us, and will continue to do so.

>

> Wasnt gw1 basically considered to be in autopilot while they were working on gw2 when it was getting its lw esque content?

[They finished the automation work in 2013](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/GuildWars.com_news#May_16th.2C_2013).

When GW2 was being worked on (2010, in secret: Linsey Murdock just said she "accepted an exciting new position here at ArenaNet; a position I can’t talk about for some time"), GW1 apparently had a staff of about 5-6 people, with short-term help from the GW2 crew (usually artists). The tools/game were also a lot simpler. (iirc more exactly: they lost more people on a regular basis until eventually it was down to that final number)

That team was tasked with turning the game into autopilot; it hadn't been done yet. You can look at the GW1 wiki to see the various updates that show it's coming: the changes from new birthday gifts to tokens that can be used to purchase previous gifts, the standardization of festival and bonus week start|end dates.

During that time, the tiny team took it upon themselves to get other stuff done, too, including fixing some of the weirder bugs out there, with AI, with GW1's light of deldrimor (for us to uncover treasure in the dwarven dungeons, similar to how it works in Deepstone).

And, of course, Guild Wars Beyond.

John Stumme took over the so-called "Live Team" official in July 2010, a few months after _War in Kryta_ launched. They had storyboarded GWB for Cantha (which became _Winds of Change_) and also for Elona, but they never had bandwidth to pull that off.