What is your definition of casual gaming?

> @"IndigoSundown.5419" said:

> > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > There's 3 different way I think it can be defined, although they have a lot of cross-over: time spent on the game, difficulty of content and 'commitment' required to complete content.

>

> These are pretty much the three areas that distinguish "casual" gamers from other types. One could even argue that commitment is not in itself a distinguishing factor, as commitment often manifests as playing long hours and/or exhibiting the dedication to pursue more difficult content.

>

> The thing is, if there are different types of "casual" players, and I think there are, then casual does not always mean "prefers only easy content." It could mean,** "tackles harder content on a casual (time) basis.** You could also have players who play huge hours, but avoid the hardest content. They'd be casual (challenge level) players.

>

> I use both, and usually distinguish between the types so people know what I'm talking about.

That would be me. I'm happy to attempt anything in this game and often play single-player games on harder difficulty settings, but in relatively short sections. Sometimes it's annoying though - I'd like to raid in GW2 but it's hard to commit to playing for 2-3 hours uninterrupted. Sometimes I have that long, but I rarely know that in advance and when I do it's likely to be at an odd time like 10am on a Monday when no one's raiding.

> @"XenoSpyro.1780" said:

> The words 'casual' and 'professional' don't mean anything anymore.

Well professional does, it means someone who is actually able to make a living playing games in tournaments, on Twitch and however else they make money from doing it. Just like a professional athlete is one whose job is playing their sport.

The problem is lots of people don't use it that way. People will call themselves professional (or more likely just pro) gamers and what they really mean is "I think I'm pretty good at most the games I play". But unlike casual/hardcore it does have an actual definition, even if it gets misused.

The issue is that slang is different then language. It lacks proper discussion and consensus building upon what a term means. The result is that there is no dictionary. Another issue is that the community is split between different games and casual gaming in one game means something different then casual gaming in another game.

It also means that definitions can change over time. Someone who is very much against elitsm in the game might find it heroic to call themself a casual gamer just to go against this elitism (while still playing content like WvW, sPvP, Raids and fractals in a "casual" context with e.g. guildies). On the other hand, those who thrive for min/max and optimum speedruns and being competitive in all game modes might associate casual gaming with noobs that are not worth much and need to be avoided.

So it is all in the eye of the beholder.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> Here are a few things that I would characterize casual players with:

>

> - Plays for an hour or two at a time

> - Plays according to life schedule, not game schedule

> - Has more money than time

> - Less concerned about achievements, more concerned about experiencing

> - Plays for themselves, not for other players

> - Not concerned about 'the best' way to do something, more concerned about 'style'

Yeah, pretty much all of the above. I would also add "playing non-competitive content" for me.

> @"Azure The Heartless.3261" said:

> casuals want instant gratification, hardcore want delayed.

As a very casual gamer, I almost find this opinion to be offensive. Please don't paint us with such a broad brush. ;)

> @"Yamazuki.6073" said:

> I'm not sure what's wrong with just sticking to what casual actually means, rather than coming up with a million different meanings for a word that already has one:

> Not serious.

>

> Casual gamers are simply people who play games to relax. They aren't competitive, they don't worry about being the best at anything, they just want to spend their free time doing what they enjoy.

For me and my casual "guild", this is pretty spot on. :)

Casual Gaming has nothing to do with skill level, length of playtime, competitiveness, or any other thing that I see tossed around here. A casual gamer is someone who plays for the enjoyment of the experience of video games, which is an interactive medium that cannot be replicated by any other form of entertainment. You can be very skillful, play difficult content, play for a lot or a little, do pvp and raids, or open world, none of that matters. You're playing for the enjoyment of the game.

So where do hardcore gamers fit in? Games are puzzles to them. Solve the logic puzzle that happens to have thematically homogeneous audio and video feedback. Hardcore gamers solve the puzzle of finding the most optimal, efficient way of completing a given task. That is all it is to them. There is no story, just the thrill of mastering the mechanics given by the rules of the game (puzzle to them). The enjoyment for hardcore games comes not from the immersive experience created by the developers, but from solving the puzzle of completing a task with a given set of constraints (profession, traits, skills, weapons, stats).

Again, the difference between casual and hardcore has NOTHING to do with skill-level, length of playtime, playtime activities, competitiveness, or willingness to learn the mechanics. It has everything to do with the mindset and intent of playing video games.

My version of casual: I get to it when I get to it and if someone needs assistance with something, and you're not busy, assist them. Also, I don't know about anyone else, but I like my gaming at a slow burn. :9 No need for gratification, I just wanna enjoy my time in a world not my own.

> @"Rogue.8235" said:

> Casual Gaming has nothing to do with skill level, length of playtime, competitiveness, or any other thing that I see tossed around here. A casual gamer is someone who plays for the enjoyment of the experience of video games, which is an interactive medium that cannot be replicated by any other form of entertainment. You can be very skillful, play difficult content, play for a lot or a little, do pvp and raids, or open world, none of that matters. You're playing for the enjoyment of the game.

>

> So where do hardcore gamers fit in? Games are puzzles to them. Solve the logic puzzle that happens to have thematically homogeneous audio and video feedback. Hardcore gamers solve the puzzle of finding the most optimal, efficient way of completing a given task. That is all it is to them. There is no story, just the thrill of mastering the mechanics given by the rules of the game (puzzle to them). The enjoyment for hardcore games comes not from the immersive experience created by the developers, but from solving the puzzle of completing a task with a given set of constraints (profession, traits, skills, weapons, stats).

>

>

> Again, the difference between casual and hardcore has NOTHING to do with skill-level, length of playtime, playtime activities, competitiveness, or willingness to learn the mechanics. It has everything to do with the mindset and intent of playing video games.

You make it sound like a hardcore can't enjoy the game for the games sake, and that casuals are the only ones that can have fun ?

I don't think that the definition of "Casual = fun", I believe it is more about how different people approach fun. Nor do I think that casual is everyone that isn't hardcore, as it has often been thrown around.

> @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> > @"Rogue.8235" said:

> > Casual Gaming has nothing to do with skill level, length of playtime, competitiveness, or any other thing that I see tossed around here. A casual gamer is someone who plays for the enjoyment of the experience of video games, which is an interactive medium that cannot be replicated by any other form of entertainment. You can be very skillful, play difficult content, play for a lot or a little, do pvp and raids, or open world, none of that matters. You're playing for the enjoyment of the game.

> >

> > So where do hardcore gamers fit in? Games are puzzles to them. Solve the logic puzzle that happens to have thematically homogeneous audio and video feedback. Hardcore gamers solve the puzzle of finding the most optimal, efficient way of completing a given task. That is all it is to them. There is no story, just the thrill of mastering the mechanics given by the rules of the game (puzzle to them). The enjoyment for hardcore games comes not from the immersive experience created by the developers, but from solving the puzzle of completing a task with a given set of constraints (profession, traits, skills, weapons, stats).

> >

> >

> > Again, the difference between casual and hardcore has NOTHING to do with skill-level, length of playtime, playtime activities, competitiveness, or willingness to learn the mechanics. It has everything to do with the mindset and intent of playing video games.

>

> You make it sound like a hardcore can't enjoy the game for the games sake, and that casuals are the only ones that can have fun ?

>

> I don't think that the definition of "Casual = fun", I believe it is more about how different people approach fun. Nor do I think that casual is everyone that isn't hardcore, as it has often been thrown around.

You misinterpreted my statements. Hardcore gamers have fun solving the puzzle. I'm casual when it comes to MMORPG's but completely hardcore when it comes to fighting games and Civilization. Hardcore gamers find enjoyment in optimizing constraints to complete the game's objectives in the most efficient manner possible In fighting games, I never execute moves just because they look cool or that's how I want to beat the other player. I always execute the optimal move in any given circumstance during a match-up. I'm the same way with chess. I make optimal moves, I don't capture pieces or use certain pieces just for the fun in it. For me, the fun in chess and fighting games is executing perfection, not the experience of the game

If you don't find enjoyment in optimizing constraints and executing the most efficient ways to solve the logic puzzle of a game's objective, you are not hardcore. I am definitely not hardcore in GW2.

Thus, hardcore gamers and casual gamers equally have fun with the same video game. How they derive that enjoyment is what separates them.

Edit: Wanted to reiterate that the casual <-> hardcore spectrum has nothing to do with skill-level, competitiveness, length of play, willingness to learn, or playtime activities. It is solely based on how you view the game and how you derive your enjoyment and fun from that game.

[Cambridge Dictionary](https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/casual "Cambridge Dictionary") defines casual as:

> * casual adjective (INFORMAL)

> * casual adjective (NOT INTERESTED)

> not taking or not seeming to take much interest

> * casual adjective (TEMPORARY)

> C2 [ before noun ] not regular or fixed

> * casual adjective (CHANCE)

> ​B2 [ before noun ] not serious or considered, or done by chance

American English instead of Informal and chance nuances suggests:

> * casual adjective (NOT SERIOUS)

> not serious or careful in attitude; only partly interested

> * casual adjective (NOT PLANNED)

> not intended or planned

In general usage casual mostly defines the attitude toward something, i.e. behavioural patterns. I would say that with casual players it is also about the attitude rather than gear, content level, shinies, real-life circumstances, time spent on a game, and so on.

I know players who spend zero time doing content (they never leave big cities) and log in only once or twice a week or even less than that. They are not really concerned with achievements, meta builds, dodging skills, or the latest raid boss mechanics. However, I would not dare to call them casual. They spend a lot of time analysing markets, using external tools, creating and updating spreadsheets, collecting data, developing their own tools for the game, and so on. These players focus on economy with a great deal of passion. They are very hardcore players.

I would suggest that **a casual player is the one who approaches the game as a leisure activity and do not put a lot of effort or make a significant emotional investment.** The game, in this case, is a way to kill some time before returning to more demanding and important parts of one's life. However, since we are very different people there is no universal set of criteria to determine whether someone is a casual or hardcore player without knowing their attitudes.

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Azure The Heartless.3261" said:

> > casuals want instant gratification, hardcore want delayed.

> As a very casual gamer, I almost find this opinion to be offensive. Please don't paint us with such a broad brush. ;)

I don't consider anyone that plays this game to be a casual gamer, as the initial complexity of the game is already heavy. I usually reserve that for people that play angry birds and tetris on the surface level merely to pass some time.

You and I may be thinking about different things. Imo playing an mmo to some degree of competency automatically removes you from the "casual" label.

> @"Rogue.8235" said:

> > @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> > > @"Rogue.8235" said:

> > > Casual Gaming has nothing to do with skill level, length of playtime, competitiveness, or any other thing that I see tossed around here. A casual gamer is someone who plays for the enjoyment of the experience of video games, which is an interactive medium that cannot be replicated by any other form of entertainment. You can be very skillful, play difficult content, play for a lot or a little, do pvp and raids, or open world, none of that matters. You're playing for the enjoyment of the game.

> > >

> > > So where do hardcore gamers fit in? Games are puzzles to them. Solve the logic puzzle that happens to have thematically homogeneous audio and video feedback. Hardcore gamers solve the puzzle of finding the most optimal, efficient way of completing a given task. That is all it is to them. There is no story, just the thrill of mastering the mechanics given by the rules of the game (puzzle to them). The enjoyment for hardcore games comes not from the immersive experience created by the developers, but from solving the puzzle of completing a task with a given set of constraints (profession, traits, skills, weapons, stats).

> > >

> > >

> > > Again, the difference between casual and hardcore has NOTHING to do with skill-level, length of playtime, playtime activities, competitiveness, or willingness to learn the mechanics. It has everything to do with the mindset and intent of playing video games.

> >

> > You make it sound like a hardcore can't enjoy the game for the games sake, and that casuals are the only ones that can have fun ?

> >

> > I don't think that the definition of "Casual = fun", I believe it is more about how different people approach fun. Nor do I think that casual is everyone that isn't hardcore, as it has often been thrown around.

>

> You misinterpreted my statements. Hardcore gamers have fun solving the puzzle. I'm casual when it comes to MMORPG's but completely hardcore when it comes to fighting games and Civilization. Hardcore gamers find enjoyment in optimizing constraints to complete the game's objectives in the most efficient manner possible In fighting games, I never execute moves just because they look cool or that's how I want to beat the other player. I always execute the optimal move in any given circumstance during a match-up. I'm the same way with chess. I make optimal moves, I don't capture pieces or use certain pieces just for the fun in it. For me, the fun in chess and fighting games is executing perfection, not the experience of the game

>

> If you don't find enjoyment in optimizing constraints and executing the most efficient ways to solve the logic puzzle of a game's objective, you are not hardcore. I am definitely not hardcore in GW2.

>

> Thus, hardcore gamers and casual gamers equally have fun with the same video game. How they derive that enjoyment is what separates them.

>

> Edit: Wanted to reiterate that the casual <-> hardcore spectrum has nothing to do with skill-level, competitiveness, length of play, willingness to learn, or playtime activities. It is solely based on how you view the game and how you derive your enjoyment and fun from that game.

Ah, thank you for clarification, then we are in agreement.

> @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> > @"Rogue.8235" said:

> > Casual Gaming has nothing to do with skill level, length of playtime, competitiveness, or any other thing that I see tossed around here. A casual gamer is someone who plays for the enjoyment of the experience of video games, which is an interactive medium that cannot be replicated by any other form of entertainment. You can be very skillful, play difficult content, play for a lot or a little, do pvp and raids, or open world, none of that matters. You're playing for the enjoyment of the game.

> >

> > So where do hardcore gamers fit in? Games are puzzles to them. Solve the logic puzzle that happens to have thematically homogeneous audio and video feedback. Hardcore gamers solve the puzzle of finding the most optimal, efficient way of completing a given task. That is all it is to them. There is no story, just the thrill of mastering the mechanics given by the rules of the game (puzzle to them). The enjoyment for hardcore games comes not from the immersive experience created by the developers, but from solving the puzzle of completing a task with a given set of constraints (profession, traits, skills, weapons, stats).

> >

> >

> > Again, the difference between casual and hardcore has NOTHING to do with skill-level, length of playtime, playtime activities, competitiveness, or willingness to learn the mechanics. It has everything to do with the mindset and intent of playing video games.

>

> You make it sound like a hardcore can't enjoy the game for the games sake, and that casuals are the only ones that can have fun ?

>

> I don't think that the definition of "Casual = fun", I believe it is more about how different people approach fun. Nor do I think that casual is everyone that isn't hardcore, as it has often been thrown around.

I didn't interpret it that way. For that definition, it's possible that hardcore actually do find that fun.

> @"Azure The Heartless.3261" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

>

> > > @"Azure The Heartless.3261" said:

> > > casuals want instant gratification, hardcore want delayed.

>

> > As a very casual gamer, I almost find this opinion to be offensive. Please don't paint us with such a broad brush. ;)

>

> I don't consider anyone that plays this game to be a casual gamer, as the initial complexity of the game is already heavy. I usually reserve that for people that play angry birds and tetris on the surface level merely to pass some time.

>

> You and I may be thinking about different things. Imo playing an mmo to some degree of competency automatically removes you from the "casual" label.

Tetris is serious business mate, there's even a league for it, or there used to be...

> @"robertthebard.8150" said:

> > @"Azure The Heartless.3261" said:

> > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> >

> > > > @"Azure The Heartless.3261" said:

> > > > casuals want instant gratification, hardcore want delayed.

> >

> > > As a very casual gamer, I almost find this opinion to be offensive. Please don't paint us with such a broad brush. ;)

> >

> > I don't consider anyone that plays this game to be a casual gamer, as the initial complexity of the game is already heavy. I usually reserve that for people that play angry birds and tetris on the surface level merely to pass some time.

> >

> > You and I may be thinking about different things. Imo playing an mmo to some degree of competency automatically removes you from the "casual" label.

>

> Tetris is serious business mate, there's even a league for it, or there used to be...

I know, that's why I specified "on the surface level." I guess you could substitute "Bejeweled" or "Candy Crush" for that.

I am casual. I play when I want, what I want, how I want. I may play for pure enjoyment of it or because I am bored and have nothing better to do. I don't care if I play every day or not. Goals of other players do not necessarily correspond to my own. I may set some goals in front of me but without hard deadline. I treat the game as a game and fun, not as a real life. Nothing in game hurts me and I ignore toxic idiots.

Is a MMO even a game ?

I know its a thorny question but MMOs are a bit unique in the sense that playing the game is undefined.

ie there is nothing which states what a player is required to do in order to play it .

Just about all other games have some kind of rules which define what the players have to do in order to win the game .

MMOs cant be won , there are no rules , and players are free to do just about anything they like .

Simply logging , wandereing around a bit and then logging out is still playing the game.