Desolation is awful

Anat.1765

> @bOTEB.1573 said:

> > @maddoctor.2738 said:

> > Well Desolation is the Tangled Depths of the expansion

>

> LOL, no...

>

> Tangled Depths is the best map ever created - it is perfect.

> 1. Exploration without gating.

> 2. Great META event (not some pseudo meta event like the one in Deso). Challenging and very nice rewarding (including the Chak Egg Sac, but not only). Actually, requires more than 5 people to complete.

> 3. Challenging exploration, not "super Mario jump here, fly there" kind of exploration.

> 4. Interesting story.

> 5. Multilayer.

> 6. A lot more interesting achievements.

I compared Desolation to Tangled Depths as in "the most complex map to navigate in the expansion" not in some other way.

Tangled Depths is my favorite map in the game :)

• 3 weeks later...

This is by far the most frustrating map and unenjoyable map. I made it through the mastery points and hp's just fine. But try going back there for achievements. Treasure hunting that forces you into guessing which way to go around (or up or down) invisible walls...harpies dismounting an hitting for 50% of health?...lack of players...sulfur that makes if sporadically places and not taking up just a huge portion of the map. The only positive is that the meta is ok IF there are enough players to even do it. I played this xpac pretty heavily...got the griffin and map completion. But this is the point where I'm not really wanting to log-in anymore. It's just not fun...and the map is far from scenic.

> @Boysenberry.1869 said:

> Has anyone actually run and completed the Mouth of Torment meta? Is the reward interesting at all? I've never seen any groups try to run it and any attempts are usually met with the sound of crickets.

Well the answer is ... "it's complicated". I seem to have did it the other day(got some elegy mosaic for it) but as far as I could tell it should have failed judging from how it looked like it was going. Maybe that is what one of the bugfixes was referring to in the patch notes.

> @Khisanth.2948 said:

> > @Boysenberry.1869 said:

> > Has anyone actually run and completed the Mouth of Torment meta? Is the reward interesting at all? I've never seen any groups try to run it and any attempts are usually met with the sound of crickets.

>

> Well the answer is ... "it's complicated". I seem to have did it the other day(got some elegy mosaic for it) but as far as I could tell it should have failed judging from how it looked like it was going. Maybe that is what one of the bugfixes was referring to in the patch notes.

You get one of the five items needed for the [Exaltation of Guardians achievement](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Exaltation_of_the_Guardians "Exaltation of Guardians achievement"), which grants the [Royal Funerary Glove Box](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Royal_Funerary_Glove_Box "Royal Funerary Glove Box").

> @bOTEB.1573 said:

> > @maddoctor.2738 said:

> > Well Desolation is the Tangled Depths of the expansion

>

> LOL, no...

>

> Tangled Depths is the best map ever created - it is perfect.

> 1. Exploration without gating.

> 2. Great META event (not some pseudo meta event like the one in Deso). Challenging and very nice rewarding (including the Chak Egg Sac, but not only). Actually, requires more than 5 people to complete.

> 3. Challenging exploration, not "super Mario jump here, fly there" kind of exploration.

> 4. Interesting story.

> 5. Multilayer.

> 6. A lot more interesting achievements.

I do not like TD, but I would take it over PoF maps. PoF maps suck.

> @Disintegration.1029 said:

> > @Khisanth.2948 said:

> > > @Boysenberry.1869 said:

> > > Has anyone actually run and completed the Mouth of Torment meta? Is the reward interesting at all? I've never seen any groups try to run it and any attempts are usually met with the sound of crickets.

> >

> > Well the answer is ... "it's complicated". I seem to have did it the other day(got some elegy mosaic for it) but as far as I could tell it should have failed judging from how it looked like it was going. Maybe that is what one of the bugfixes was referring to in the patch notes.

>

> You get one of the five items needed for the [Exaltation of Guardians achievement](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Exaltation_of_the_Guardians "Exaltation of Guardians achievement"), which grants the [Royal Funerary Glove Box](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Royal_Funerary_Glove_Box "Royal Funerary Glove Box").

I know but the really confusing part is that it definitely looked like "pre" failed yet it proceeded to the boss anyway ...

> > You get one of the five items needed for the [Exaltation of Guardians achievement](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Exaltation_of_the_Guardians "Exaltation of Guardians achievement"), which grants the [Royal Funerary Glove Box](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Royal_Funerary_Glove_Box "Royal Funerary Glove Box").

>

> I know but the really confusing part is that it definitely looked like "pre" failed yet it proceeded to the boss anyway ...

I've had that happen too several times now...can't recall if the meta was one of them. I know it's not intentional because I've been there and seen it fail. So, it's either hackers or we are post-release beta-testers for an incomplete zone. Having played ANET games and other mmo's, I find it hard to believe that they are truly done with the last two zones. I mean unless they only care about the game up until the point where one probably has or won't buy a griffon. If one is thinking about metas and achieves, that decision has probably been made. Maybe they are going with that model now...hope not. We'll have to see what happens over the next few months and with the Living Story.

Interesting someone mentioned invisible walls, because of the two sets of invisible walls I found only one kept me from going someplace I thought I should, and that was the one over the Vabbian Corridor tunnel which is blocked at both ends by Forged and/or Awakened(believe me, the tunnel exists, you can see it on the world map and I'm sure there's a way to go through it, maybe just not yet). The other set of invisible walls didn't stop me from getting on top of the plateau just south and east of the overseers palace, but it did prevent me from dropping down into the lush area in the Northeast, a rather odd choice for an invisible wall if you ask me, but I didn't mind going back and around. Otherwise I have no problems with any of the maps.