Anets next intellectual property

What should be ArenaNet's next intellectual property/game (unrelated to GW)? Assume this won't affect GW2 future content in any way.

Should anet make a mobile game? Create a new MMO? A D3-style dungeon crawler? Jump into Battle Royal and compete against PUBG and Fortnight?

Personally, I would love to see them do a Marvel Heroes themed Action MMO.

What do you want to see Anet tackle? Again, assume it won't affect the future of gw2.

Operating under the assumption that Guild Wars 2 is and will be fine, and cannot suffer from this "side project":

As a wholly-owned subsidiary of NCSoft, it's unlikely they'll get a licensed property to work with. Although, I'd be curious what they'd do with the City of Heroes IP if NCSoft decided to revive it and give it to them, as well as collaborating on a number of other now-defunct NCSoft properties, like Tabula Rasa or Wildstar.

I believe they should probably stick to RPG's and story-driven games, because that's been their specialty for so long, though I'm confident they could make an interesting action-platformer, or exploration-puzzle game, i.e. Tomb Raider. I don't know that they'd want to make another MMO (especially one that would compete directly with Guild Wars), so I'd be interested in what kind of single-player or limited co-op style games they could create... perhaps there could be a pseudo-"shared universe" like the original Guild Wars had/has with their NCSoft cousin, Aion (crossover items, promotions, limited theme events, etc.).

> @"Memoranda.9386" said:

> > @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> >

> > Gw2 was supposed to end with this season btw.

> >

>

>

> What proof of this do you have?

Im on the phone so i can post links later.

We had twitter posts about it.

Anet didnt know before S4 started if it would be the last one or not.

And if you look at the ending of S4 you can see it.

You could easily end the gw2 story hear and move to something new.

That could have been the second project they worked on.

Nobody knows.

More important than genre to me is the style of the game they were to go for. If they tried to make something "serious" with great storytelling, I'd probably give that product a pass. But if they went for light storytelling, good humor, pop-culture references and fun mechanics, I'd probably pick up that product.

Easy idea: Super Adventure Box as a stand-alone game, with Worlds 3 and 4.

Harder idea: An open-world, sandbox style pirate RPG/adventure game. You start off as a low ranked sailor who has just been let go from a merchant ship in a small but well connected port (aka typical starter hub). Maybe something went wrong, maybe you just didn't like it, either way you're looking for something different. 'Main' game/story wise you have the choice to join either pirate crews or naval crews fighting against them and work your way up the ranks through what's basically a level-up system which unlocks new abilities - for example getting your own ship gives you more control over where you go. But as well as the main game there will be all kinds of side things, mini games in towns, buried treasure and shipwrecks to find, random uncharted islands to explore etc.

It's something I've been thinking about for a while and I think Anet could really do it justice, especially when it comes to the random extras you never even knew to look for which is a really important part of the game for me.

> @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> > @"Memoranda.9386" said:

> > > @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> > >

> > > Gw2 was supposed to end with this season btw.

> > >

> >

> >

> > What proof of this do you have?

>

> Im on the phone so i can post links later.

>

> We had twitter posts about it.

>

> Anet didnt know before S4 started if it would be the last one or not.

> And if you look at the ending of S4 you can see it.

>

> You could easily end the gw2 story hear and move to something new.

>

> That could have been the second project they worked on.

> Nobody knows.

>

>

First time i hear about this..

They could've ended it yes. But it's known for years that guildwars would go on after S4..

> @"Cronospere.8143" said:

> > @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> > > @"Memoranda.9386" said:

> > > > @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> > > >

> > > > Gw2 was supposed to end with this season btw.

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> > > What proof of this do you have?

> >

> > Im on the phone so i can post links later.

> >

> > We had twitter posts about it.

> >

> > Anet didnt know before S4 started if it would be the last one or not.

> > And if you look at the ending of S4 you can see it.

> >

> > You could easily end the gw2 story hear and move to something new.

> >

> > That could have been the second project they worked on.

> > Nobody knows.

> >

> >

>

> First time i hear about this..

> They could've ended it yes. But it's known for years that guildwars would go on after S4..

"for years" is an overstatment.

You know about the layoffs and why they happend?

Thats most employees didnt actaully worked on Gw2 for a long time?

I think only a 1/4.

That most of them worked on the site projects that didnt made any money, so NC Soft had to (thankfully ) interfere and stopped that BS.

I find it super crazy that people dont know about this.

Its the second biggest thing to ever happen in Gw2.

(The biggest was the woman we shall not name)

> > @"Cronospere.8143" said:

> > > > @"Memoranda.9386" said:

> > > > > @"DanAlcedo.3281" said:

> > > > >

> > > > > Gw2 was supposed to end with this season btw.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > What proof of this do you have?

> > >

> > > Im on the phone so i can post links later.

> > >

> > > We had twitter posts about it.

> > >

> > > Anet didnt know before S4 started if it would be the last one or not.

> > > And if you look at the ending of S4 you can see it.

> > >

> > > You could easily end the gw2 story hear and move to something new.

> > >

> > > That could have been the second project they worked on.

> > > Nobody knows.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > First time i hear about this..

> > They could've ended it yes. But it's known for years that guildwars would go on after S4..

>

> "for years" is an overstatment.

>

> You know about the layoffs and why they happend?

>

> Thats most employees didnt actaully worked on Gw2 for a long time?

> I think only a 1/4.

>

> That most of them worked on the site projects that didnt made any money, so NC Soft had to (thankfully ) interfere and stopped that BS.

>

>

> I find it super crazy that people dont know about this.

>

> Its the second biggest thing to ever happen in Gw2.

>

> (The biggest was the woman we shall not name)

>

Just stop the lying please.

> Thats most employees didnt actaully worked on Gw2 for a long time?

> I think only a 1/4.

Source?

> That most of them worked on the site projects that didnt made any money, so NC Soft had to (thankfully ) interfere and stopped that BS.

Again, how do you know that MOST of them worked on the side projects?

> I find it super crazy that people dont know about this.

People don't have your inside knowledge that you don't share with us, with proper links to support it of course

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> Harder idea: An open-world, sandbox style pirate RPG/adventure game. You start off as a low ranked sailor who has just been let go from a merchant ship in a small but well connected port (aka typical starter hub). Maybe something went wrong, maybe you just didn't like it, either way you're looking for something different. 'Main' game/story wise you have the choice to join either pirate crews or naval crews fighting against them and work your way up the ranks through what's basically a level-up system which unlocks new abilities - for example getting your own ship gives you more control over where you go. But as well as the main game there will be all kinds of side things, mini games in towns, buried treasure and shipwrecks to find, random uncharted islands to explore etc.

>

> It's something I've been thinking about for a while and I think Anet could really do it justice, especially when it comes to the random extras you never even knew to look for which is a really important part of the game for me.

You described Uncharted Waters Online, that I really liked (years and years ago). The graphic doesn't stand with nowadays' standards, but the gameplay was like you described it. You had 3 specializations (you could play them all): adventurer if you wanted to discover ruins/pyramids etc, trader if you liked to fetch pepper to India or craft and sell in general, or mariner if you liked to attack other (NPC and players') ships and a bit of in land fights as well. It would be nice to have a decent naval game in the hands of a capable company.

Pity that it was a Korean game, the most grindy game that I've ever played (you grinded hard to unlock/raise your skills). But for me it would mean to stop GW2 for the new one, so for now I'm fine :)

Here's what we actually know:

* ANet confirmed _after the layoffs_ that LS5 will be next ([source](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/660876#Comment_660876) and [source](https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/whats-next-for-guild-wars-2/))

* 143 people were laid off ([state of Washington official records](https://esd.wa.gov/about-employees/WARN))

* The layoffs were one of many NCSOFT cost-cutting efforts, [due to their decline in revenues in the PC gaming market](https://kotaku.com/guild-wars-2-developer-arenanet-plans-for-mass-layoffs-1832799804)

> Assume this won't affect GW2 future content in any way.

Apparently, NCSOFT currently thinks that _any_ non-GW2 projects negatively impact their revenue.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> Here's what we actually know:

> * ANet confirmed _after the layoffs_ that LS5 will be next ([source](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/660876#Comment_660876) and [source](https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/whats-next-for-guild-wars-2/))

> * 143 people were laid off ([state of Washington official records](https://esd.wa.gov/about-employees/WARN))

> * The layoffs were one of many NCSOFT cost-cutting efforts, [due to their decline in revenues in the PC gaming market](https://kotaku.com/guild-wars-2-developer-arenanet-plans-for-mass-layoffs-1832799804)

>

>

> > Assume this won't affect GW2 future content in any way.

> Apparently, NCSOFT currently thinks that _any_ non-GW2 projects negatively impact their revenue.

Don't be such a Sally Sourpuss

Have fun man. Think of something cool and run with it.

> > @"Memoranda.9386" said:

> > >

> > > Gw2 was supposed to end with this season btw.

> > >

> >

> >

> > What proof of this do you have?

>

> Im on the phone so i can post links later.

>

> We had twitter posts about it.

>

> Anet didnt know before S4 started if it would be the last one or not.

> And if you look at the ending of S4 you can see it.

>

> You could easily end the gw2 story hear and move to something new.

>

> That could have been the second project they worked on.

> Nobody knows.

>

>

That really sounds ... strange. If the game continues to make money, they don't just pull the plug because they haven't got more storyline.

> @"EmmetOtter.8542" said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > Here's what we actually know:

> > * ANet confirmed _after the layoffs_ that LS5 will be next ([source](https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/comment/660876#Comment_660876) and [source](https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/whats-next-for-guild-wars-2/))

> > * 143 people were laid off ([state of Washington official records](https://esd.wa.gov/about-employees/WARN))

> > * The layoffs were one of many NCSOFT cost-cutting efforts, [due to their decline in revenues in the PC gaming market](https://kotaku.com/guild-wars-2-developer-arenanet-plans-for-mass-layoffs-1832799804)

> >

> >

> > > Assume this won't affect GW2 future content in any way.

> > Apparently, NCSOFT currently thinks that _any_ non-GW2 projects negatively impact their revenue.

> Don't be such a Sally Sourpuss

I posted more because people were posting speculations as if they were fact, regarding ANet's current plans, e.g. regarding whether "GW2 was supposed to end after this season."

Next should be Guild Wars 3, which exhibits learning from myriad mis-steps in material markets, rewards, armor design, content delivery, and non-fridge story writing.

Decades into the future, after Primordus has been slain, the his energies flow out to the seas and snow, causing a dramatic melt in the north and the seas to boil ~~taking all the waterdrow with them~~, leaving a new band of plucky adventurers to join forces with Aurene and descendants of heroes past to whup up on dragons and get loot. :3

> @"NanoEliteSixSixSix.8935" said:

> > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > I think Anet should take advantage of their Commando class concept and make a shooter game set 10 thousand years after Guildwars 2

>

> Those out-of-place commandos in Jahai had to come from somewhere, right?

>

>

Exactly :)

Could even have a story instance in the shooter where you have to protect a city or something against a wave of mysterious crystal creatures coming from some unknown temporal event :P

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> I think Anet should take advantage of their Commando class concept and make a shooter game set 10 thousand years after Guildwars 2

>

> They'd have a lot of freedom to make the game standalone from Guildwars but could throw some nods back as well.

Pretty sure that was Tabula Rasa...

...which I think could be awesome in ANet's hands, with or without Richard Garriott (preferably without, in my personal opinion).

> @"Trise.2865" said:

> > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > I think Anet should take advantage of their Commando class concept and make a shooter game set 10 thousand years after Guildwars 2

> >

> > They'd have a lot of freedom to make the game standalone from Guildwars but could throw some nods back as well.

>

> Pretty sure that was Tabula Rasa...

>

> ...which I think could be awesome in ANet's hands, with or without Richard Garriott (preferably without, in my personal opinion).

I once heard Tabula Rasa described as the 'bread end piece' of MMOs - just as good as the rest but no one seems to like it for some reason. I never played it but I like that description.