Skyscale a bit too tedious for disabled people

> @"Luthan.5236" said:

> Is it actually required to play the game/newer maps?

No.

> I'm still playing without expansions after having returned from a break since end of 2013. And sure: The mounts on old maps seem to make it easier/more comfortable. But then again old players that got all the old JP achievements and stuff back then at realease also did it without mounts. I guess for the new maps that come with the expansions some of the basic mounts are mandatory.

Yes, the bunny and raptor in paticular, the jackal for some niche portals..but you can always ttf for the couple places there's no alternative way to get there.

Skimmer for getting across water, but again relatively not needdd

these 4 are v. easy to get tho. One heart each and buy for gold. They are all 5g I believe, except the jackal at 25g.

> But I can't imagine that all mounts are required. Probably totally okay to have this one as long term goal while still being able to to most other stuff without it.

The griffon, beetle and skyscale are not required.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"derd.6413" said:

> it's already stupid easy in the first place and it's pretty obvious that the skyscale is one off those "not everybody is gonna get one" type of mounts, like the griffon

Lets not compare the two, they are nothing alike. The only thing stopping you from getting griffon is gold. You can knock out the griffon in a day if you have the gold, and nothing about griffon requires you to group up to do events. Skyscale wasnt really thought out long term imo, anyone can go get the griffon or beetle at anytime in the games life, but the skyscale will be very hard to get in the future. If you didnt get in on it when it came out its going to be harder and harder to get. I think they put so much thought into the design of the mount they didnt think about the long term impact of a dead zone later on. Nothing stops you from getting any mount in the game its all a personal completion, cept skyscale this is a group content mount.

> @"Tiviana.2650" said:

> Lets not compare the two, they are nothing alike. The only thing stopping you from getting griffon is gold. You can knock out the griffon in a day if you have the gold, and nothing about griffon requires you to group up to do events. Skyscale wasnt really thought out long term imo, anyone can go get the griffon or beetle at anytime in the games life, but the skyscale will be very hard to get in the future. If you didnt get in on it when it came out its going to be harder and harder to get. I think they put so much thought into the design of the mount they didnt think about the long term impact of a dead zone later on. Nothing stops you from getting any mount in the game its all a personal completion, cept skyscale this is a group content mount.

The Griffon requires multiple group events that fail with less than 10 players usually (Corrupted Facet Bounty, Defeat Warden Jabari in the Deadhouse, Giwebo the Rune of Humility drops from a Champion Unbound Djinn).

The Skyscale requires the Doppelgänger event. But I think that’s it. The most tedius parts of the collection are varying per player (Some hate Jumping Puzzles, but they can be skipped with the Pungent foods. Other players (myself included) found that farming the map currencies was the most tedius part). But all of it was a solo adventure. The PoF metas (including Doppelgänger) are done pretty regularly now they’re on a timer.

What we can compare is the amount of time the OP can play compared to others. The reasoning behind how much time can be spent in-game is irrelevant.

> @"Luthan.5236" said:

> Is it actually required to play the game/newer maps? I'm still playing without expansions after having returned from a break since end of 2013. And sure: The mounts on old maps seem to make it easier/more comfortable. But then again old players that got all the old JP achievements and stuff back then at realease also did it without mounts. I guess for the new maps that come with the expansions some of the basic mounts are mandatory.

>

> But I can't imagine that all mounts are required. Probably totally okay to have this one as long term goal while still being able to to most other stuff without it.

Every ls4 map is required as are the path of fire ones

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"Luthan.5236" said:

> > Is it actually required to play the game/newer maps? I'm still playing without expansions after having returned from a break since end of 2013. And sure: The mounts on old maps seem to make it easier/more comfortable. But then again old players that got all the old JP achievements and stuff back then at realease also did it without mounts. I guess for the new maps that come with the expansions some of the basic mounts are mandatory.

> >

> > But I can't imagine that all mounts are required. Probably totally okay to have this one as long term goal while still being able to to most other stuff without it.

>

> Every ls4 map is required as are the path of fire ones

Luthan meant, is the Skyscale needed to play the game. And the answer is no. You can always get by in PoF/LS4 with the core mounts. In HoT/Core Tyria mounts are definitely not needed. But they do make things a lot easier.

> @"Haleydawn.3764" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > @"Luthan.5236" said:

> > > Is it actually required to play the game/newer maps? I'm still playing without expansions after having returned from a break since end of 2013. And sure: The mounts on old maps seem to make it easier/more comfortable. But then again old players that got all the old JP achievements and stuff back then at realease also did it without mounts. I guess for the new maps that come with the expansions some of the basic mounts are mandatory.

> > >

> > > But I can't imagine that all mounts are required. Probably totally okay to have this one as long term goal while still being able to to most other stuff without it.

> >

> > Every ls4 map is required as are the path of fire ones

>

> Luthan meant, is the Skyscale needed to play the game. And the answer is no. You can always get by in PoF/LS4 with the core mounts. In HoT/Core Tyria mounts are definitely not needed. But they do make things a lot easier.

Ah my bad.

> @"Kelpersey.7614" said:

> Hi there! I'm Kelpersey or Aegia, as most people know me. I'm a 23 year old who's been trying to get the skyscale since I got the expansion almost 2 months ago. Now I know that doesn't seem like much, but as someone with crippling pain, I'm barely able to get on and play GW2 without having to log off less than a hour later. What this means is, it'll take me upwards of a year to finish all the hearts and collections needed for the Skyscale, I'm at the last part due to me pushing through the pain to try and rush it, only to realize I have to go around various maps for an undefined amount of time and try to collect all the materials without collapsing.

>

> Now I know that doesn't seem too difficult, but I can barely move my arms at times and this makes playing very difficult. On the days where I can move better, I can play for a couple hours happily before reality sets in and I have to go crawl into bed and cry. I worked for over 130 hours to get the griffon, and now I feel like it's going to be more than that for me to get the new dragon.

>

> A-Net, please keep the disabled players in your thoughts for how you design things, some of us aren't as able bodied as they others and will never be able to finish some collections.

Hope you find an ergonomic solution for your play. WASD is definitely not ideal.

Both skyscale and griffon is optional mounts, you dont need them. You can play the game just fine with the basic mounts. Raptor, Springer, Skimmer and Jackal. Griffon and Skyscale is both prestige mounts to work towards earning them. You are approaching the game with a wrong mindset if you want them here and now. That is a fallacy, they are meant to be a long term project.

And the only content you are missing out on incase of the Skyscale is the Vision trinket.

Griffon allows the griffon only adventures.

> @"reddie.5861" said:

> i dont understand why anet isnt just giving out mounts, i mean (dont get me wrong) i dont care if one is disabled or not.

> who cares how u get the mount getting it handed to you at end of living story or having to do a non sense "quest" to get it.

>

> no i didnt get griffon nor i will get the skyscale.

> yes i barely pve so that might be the reason i just dont wanna stick any time in this kitten. if i had to gather xxx amount of map currencies easy, ill farm them tru reward track but when i have to do multiple things unable to do in sPvP or WvW then im out no joy for me.

>

> on the other hand im not complaining either but i frankly dont understand why mounts should be "hard" to get or time consuming cus in gw2 nothing is hard.

>

Because some ppl see value in earning stuff rather than being given stuff.

I mean, I don't mean to sound heartless, but if the game was balanced around disabled people, then the game would be unsatisfying for people with better reflexes.

I think asking for specific changes rather than a blanket nerf would be better recieved. In the past, someone noted that the ball throwing part of the skyscale collection was a wee bit hard for people with disabilities... So anet made it a little easier. So they seem amenable to this argument.

> True. I guess I'm a bit impatient, but I'm also trying to get it done so I can focus on other things after I have surgery soon. It'd be nice to just finally play the story out again while I'm recovering.

Have you tried out the free Skyscales. Reason I ask that is that it method of flight might be suitable or not. Especially if there are certain actions that are not comfortable for you. It can be simple when just flying but the climb part might not be as comfortable. Also if you setting up a controller in general might see how well it goes with the Skyscale. I wish you the best with it and hope you able to adopt one.

> @"mmkstarr.8935" said:

> Give the guy/gal a break. They're in excruciating nervous pain. They're trying to play a game. Do you know how fruiting difficult that is in the first place?

I know. It is the same as trying to work a full-time job when you need two hip replacements pronto but the waiting list is months and months long because your surgeon is so talented. Those who have never experienced chronic pain..really do not understand..and I sincerely hope you never have to.

Kelpersey, my hip replacements are done, but the daily pain is vivid still. ...so I have to ask a question that I myself have been asking myself lately "Is the Skyscale worth the pain, both physical and emotional."

The requirements for this mount were put in place to keep us busy so we do not notice how long the next living story will take to get here.

I am hoping that because they made it so legendary to get, the mount will not be required in the next story.

I took to the saddle every time I looked for Scales, Sick skyscales, and Eggs.

When I got dismounted from the Skyscale, and I did quite a bit because I am a clutz, I got on my Rabbit and always felt a jolt of relief.

Hmm..I am facing a jumping puzzle I am not sure I am coordinated enough to do and thus might have to stop my Skyscale hunt which kills me.

So, I understand where you are coming from.

Only you can make the decision about whether to keep on...there is no shame attached to deciding that you choose not to put yourself in such a position that you go to bed crying because of the pain.

I wish I could give you a great big warm Texas hug.

Lisa-cheering you on whichever path you take.

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> I mean, I don't mean to sound heartless, but if the game was balanced around disabled people, then the game would be unsatisfying for people with better reflexes.

>

> I think asking for specific changes rather than a blanket nerf would be better received. In the past, someone noted that the ball throwing part of the skyscale collection was a wee bit hard for people with disabilities... So anet made it a little easier. So they seem amenable to this argument.

I agree. Due to brain damage, I physically have a hand-eye coordination problem which makes Jumping puzzles a pita...as well as teaming...If I get that far, I am wondering how I will fare with that ball...but I know tons of the player base love jumping puzzles and I don't want to take that away.

Maybe Anet could give us a choice. Like with the Skyscale of power collection. One of these is the jumping puzzle which might force me out of the race for a Skyscale

Maybe they could have us choose three out of a choice of four...something like that. The way they did with the old monthlies.

That way, the people who can't do jumping puzzles can skip it and those who love it...that will be their first choice :)

Just a thought.

> @"LucianDK.8615" said:

> Both skyscale and griffon is optional mounts, you dont need them. You can play the game just fine with the basic mounts. Raptor, Springer, Skimmer and Jackal. Griffon and Skyscale is both prestige mounts to work towards earning them. You are approaching the game with a wrong mindset if you want them here and now. That is a fallacy, they are meant to be a long term project.

> And the only content you are missing out on incase of the Skyscale is the Vision trinket.

> Griffon allows the griffon only adventures.

Grin. You are addressing the OP, but I feel like you are giving encouraging words to mee too :)

Lisa.

> @"Luthan.5236" said:

> Is it actually required to play the game/newer maps? I'm still playing without expansions after having returned from a break since end of 2013. And sure: The mounts on old maps seem to make it easier/more comfortable. But then again old players that got all the old JP achievements and stuff back then at realease also did it without mounts. I guess for the new maps that come with the expansions some of the basic mounts are mandatory.

>

Yes. We did all the maps without mounts, and now I am wondering how we did it :)

I still do most Vistas the old fashioned way as it is good for my hand-eye coordination.

> @"Julischka Bean.7491" said:

> > @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > I mean, I don't mean to sound heartless, but if the game was balanced around disabled people, then the game would be unsatisfying for people with better reflexes.

> >

> > I think asking for specific changes rather than a blanket nerf would be better received. In the past, someone noted that the ball throwing part of the skyscale collection was a wee bit hard for people with disabilities... So anet made it a little easier. So they seem amenable to this argument.

>

> I agree. Due to brain damage, I physically have a hand-eye coordination problem which makes Jumping puzzles a pita...as well as teaming...If I get that far, I am wondering how I will fare with that ball...but I know tons of the player base love jumping puzzles and I don't want to take that away.

>

> Maybe Anet could give us a choice. Like with the Skyscale of power collection. One of these is the jumping puzzle which might force me out of the race for a Skyscale

>

> Maybe they could have us choose three out of a choice of four...something like that. The way they did with the old monthlies.

>

> That way, the people who can't do jumping puzzles can skip it and those who love it...that will be their first choice :)

>

> Just a thought.

You can buy/craft pungent food to skip the jps....

> @"Julischka Bean.7491" said:

> > @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > I mean, I don't mean to sound heartless, but if the game was balanced around disabled people, then the game would be unsatisfying for people with better reflexes.

> >

> > I think asking for specific changes rather than a blanket nerf would be better received. In the past, someone noted that the ball throwing part of the skyscale collection was a wee bit hard for people with disabilities... So anet made it a little easier. So they seem amenable to this argument.

>

> I agree. Due to brain damage, I physically have a hand-eye coordination problem which makes Jumping puzzles a pita...as well as teaming...If I get that far, I am wondering how I will fare with that ball...but I know tons of the player base love jumping puzzles and I don't want to take that away.

>

> Maybe Anet could give us a choice. Like with the Skyscale of power collection. One of these is the jumping puzzle which might force me out of the race for a Skyscale

>

> Maybe they could have us choose three out of a choice of four...something like that. The way they did with the old monthlies.

>

> That way, the people who can't do jumping puzzles can skip it and those who love it...that will be their first choice :)

>

> Just a thought.

The ball is more like a catch and throw mini game, not a jumping puzzle. It required fairly rapid repositioning and had no alternitives. I personally cheesed it by using a thief shortbow.

As noted above, the jumping puzzles can usually be skipped by crafting extra pungent skyscale treats - although I don't think that covers the mini jp in blazeridge steppes (skyscale of fear achiev).

That being said, if jumping puzzles are an issue, why not get a mesmer friend to help you out?

And if you dont have a mesmer friend, call out in map chat or LA, someone will help you if you're patient and nice. (make sure to have some Teleptort to friend, as well, those are really helpful).

There's no way I wouldve done the required jps without mesmers help or TTF

> Hi there! I'm Kelpersey or Aegia, as most people know me. I'm a 23 year old who's been trying to get the skyscale since I got the expansion almost 2 months ago. Now I know that doesn't seem like much, but as someone with crippling pain, I'm barely able to get on and play GW2 without having to log off less than a hour later. What this means is, it'll take me upwards of a year to finish all the hearts and collections needed for the Skyscale, I'm at the last part due to me pushing through the pain to try and rush it, only to realize I have to go around various maps for an undefined amount of time and try to collect all the materials without collapsing.

>

> Now I know that doesn't seem too difficult, but I can barely move my arms at times and this makes playing very difficult. On the days where I can move better, I can play for a couple hours happily before reality sets in and I have to go crawl into bed and cry. I worked for over 130 hours to get the griffon, and now I feel like it's going to be more than that for me to get the new dragon.

>

> A-Net, please keep the disabled players in your thoughts for how you design things, some of us aren't as able bodied as they others and will never be able to finish some collections.

First off let me say that of course, your situation is horrible and I wouldn't wish that upon anyone but we also have to be realistic when it comes to this situation and face the fact that a game that would be very challenging but doable for a person with a disability as severe as yours, is probably too easy for someone without a disability and as such not entertaining which would severely hurt the makers. Therefor, I wouldn't want ANet to oblige here.

That being said, I am sure there are plenty of people out there who are more than willing to help you, including myself :) I am more than happy to be a Teleport To Friend target or help you with a portal to where you need to be or with questing otherwise :)

> @"Amaranthe.3578" said:

> I don't think MMORPGs are for you. There are other games that are better suited for shot playing sessions.

You're wrong. (From someone who's chronically ill and often only able to play less than 1 hour at a time).

Those games don't have the social feel that comes with MMOs. The exploration, the freedom.

For many people with severe disabilities, MMOs are a way to escape their 4 walls, which they usually rarely leave and rarely get to meet people.

> @"Taygus.4571" said:

> > @"Amaranthe.3578" said:

> > I don't think MMORPGs are for you. There are other games that are better suited for shot playing sessions.

>

> You're wrong. (From someone who's chronically ill and often only able to play less than 1 hour at a time).

>

> Those games don't have the social feel that comes with MMOs. The exploration, the freedom.

>

> For many people with severe disabilities, MMOs are a way to escape their 4 walls, which they usually rarely leave and rarely get to meet people.

>

>

Well, if the OP is upset by goals in the game that require lots of time investment MMOs (and almost any type of RPG for that matter) arent the game of choice. There are many MP games that are not RPGs. No matter how you slice it there is no solution to the issue the OP has. GW2 is probably the most accessible MMORPG ever for people with limited time to play (for whatever reason).

> @"Amaranthe.3578" said:

> > @"Taygus.4571" said:

> > > @"Amaranthe.3578" said:

> > > I don't think MMORPGs are for you. There are other games that are better suited for shot playing sessions.

> >

> > You're wrong. (From someone who's chronically ill and often only able to play less than 1 hour at a time).

> >

> > Those games don't have the social feel that comes with MMOs. The exploration, the freedom.

> >

> > For many people with severe disabilities, MMOs are a way to escape their 4 walls, which they usually rarely leave and rarely get to meet people.

> >

> >

>

> Well, if the OP is upset by goals in the game that require lots of time investment MMOs (and almost any type of RPG for that matter) arent the game of choice. There are many MP games that are not RPGs. No matter how you slice it there is no solution to the issue the OP has. GW2 is probably the most accessible MMORPG ever for people with limited time to play (for whatever reason).

The OP already agreed that they were being a "bit impatient".

And there are plenty of able bodied people who complained about the skyscale being too long, that doesn't mean that they aren't happy with the rest of the game.