Boss Rush: Thoughts, Issues..

As I progress through each battle it's been fun going to areas I had forgotten about or simply outgrew. I have had a few nice exotics drop that increased my gold, and that was much appreciated. One issue is with the Golem MKII Battle. If you die, you can be sure you will not be res'd since you are in a field on the floor that insta kills. Ok, nothing new. But wp'ing to revive and run back can bring you to another instance of that area, and either the battle is over or has not started, and you will lose any rewards you had coming, especially the special boxes. I for one will avoid it in the future because it's just too annoying if you have this happen. Not sure how or if this can be "fixed". Just wanted to give others a heads up.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I ran back the battle was over and main droid was gone. I did not see a chest and only 3 or 4 players standing around, smaller droids all over the plaza.

Added: This happens all the time in Dragon Stand when the blast comes, if you wp, instead of waiting for a res you can go to another instance of the map?

> @"Evon Skyfyre.9673" said:

> Added: This happens all the time in Dragon Stand when the blast comes, if you wp, instead of waiting for a res you can go to another instance of the map?

That only happens in dragon's stand because it resets the map. When you use a waypoint you never get ported to a different map, if that happened to you then it's a bug. If it wasn't some new bug then there are two ways this could've happened:

a) you ported to a different map, or maybe a guild hall, instead of using a waypoint around Mount Maelstrom, that way when you load the map it will put you on a different map, if your map is full

b) you relogged instead of waypointing, logging back in will put you on different maps if the other one is full

> Died, wp'd to nearby camp, came back, and the rest is above. Trust me to be the only special snowflake it happens to lol

I think two mechanics are being conflated.

First, at the world boss golem: waypointing does not take you to another instance; it never has. If you didn't get credit for the ground chest, it means one or more of the following: (1) you took longer to get back than reported above; (2) the boss was nearly dying when you died; (3) you didn't do enough damage to get credit; and/or (4) you used some device that took you out of the map and returned.

You can prevent some of the above from being an issue by joining a squad. During Boss Rush, there is typically a "train" of people. You can join it and you get credit for the damage that others in the squad do, making it easier to end up with loot.

Regarding Dragon's Stand: when the blast occurs, all instances are cleared and people are randomly dropped into fresh versions of the map. Waypointing doesn't influence that. Again, being in a squad helps, as it allows you to use the "join in" feature to enter the same map that the commander is in.

*Shrug* I know what I went through. We're asked to report. I did.. But I appreciate the interest and feedback all :)

Sorry if I seem annoyed, I just know bugs can happen that very few can replicate or have heard about. Story of my past life as a private and beta tester. Some hiccups you just throw your hands up and yell uncle. Anyways not annoyed at anyone here. Went back and tried again on a different character. Went fine. As for previous, had it just died as I was running back, a chest would have spawned and all the players would still have been there, unless you go in the wrong direction on a mount you are back from wp in under a minute so... One player suggested just laying there and not risking it. Which begs the question why? Might have happened to them? No idea.

> One player suggested just laying there and not risking it. Which begs the question why? Might have happened to them? No idea.

Why? Cargo culting. Repeating stuff without actually understanding why.

there is nothing to risk with the golem since it doesn't drop anything

with bosses that does drop loot such as svanir shaman you can lose out on the loot that drops from the mob if you are over a certain distance away when it dies

> *Shrug* I know what I went through.

I'm not questioning your experience; I'm saying that there are explanations using non-bugged, existing mechanics.

> We're asked to report.

If it happens again, whatever the explanation, use the in-game /bug reporting tool. The information provided on the forums won't be sufficient for them to begin to troubleshoot.

> One player suggested just laying there and not risking it. Which begs the question why? Might have happened to them? No idea.

People have a lot of misconceptions about what can happen if you run back from a waypoint; those rumors have persisted since launch.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"Evon Skyfyre.9673" said:

> > One player suggested just laying there and not risking it. Which begs the question why? Might have happened to them? No idea.

>

> Why? Cargo culting. Repeating stuff without actually understanding why.

>

> there is nothing to risk with the golem since it doesn't drop anything

>

> with bosses that does drop loot such as svanir shaman you can lose out on the loot that drops from the mob if you are over a certain distance away when it dies

What do you mean by Golem not dropping anything? It has more loot than Shaman in terms of rares/champ bags. Plus it has at least one exclusive item for the Treasure Hunter achievement.

Or am I misunderstanding something

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > @"Evon Skyfyre.9673" said:

> > > One player suggested just laying there and not risking it. Which begs the question why? Might have happened to them? No idea.

> >

> > Why? Cargo culting. Repeating stuff without actually understanding why.

> >

> > there is nothing to risk with the golem since it doesn't drop anything

> >

> > with bosses that does drop loot such as svanir shaman you can lose out on the loot that drops from the mob if you are over a certain distance away when it dies

>

> What do you mean by Golem not dropping anything? It has more loot than Shaman in terms of rares/champ bags. Plus it has at least one exclusive item for the Treasure Hunter achievement.

>

> Or am I misunderstanding something

All the loot from the golem event is from the chest that spawns on the ground. With bosses that are an actual creature instead of a prop like the golem then there is also the loot from the corpse.

> @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > > @"Khisanth.2948" said:

> > > > @"Evon Skyfyre.9673" said:

> > > > One player suggested just laying there and not risking it. Which begs the question why? Might have happened to them? No idea.

> > >

> > > Why? Cargo culting. Repeating stuff without actually understanding why.

> > >

> > > there is nothing to risk with the golem since it doesn't drop anything

> > >

> > > with bosses that does drop loot such as svanir shaman you can lose out on the loot that drops from the mob if you are over a certain distance away when it dies

> >

> > What do you mean by Golem not dropping anything? It has more loot than Shaman in terms of rares/champ bags. Plus it has at least one exclusive item for the Treasure Hunter achievement.

> >

> > Or am I misunderstanding something

>

> All the loot from the golem event is from the chest that spawns on the ground. With bosses that are an actual creature instead of a prop like the golem then there is also the loot from the corpse.

Ah I see what you mean

Well, after running MANY, MANY, WB's kinda getting burned out on it,the feeling they are "seemingly pointless" is setting in. So i went back to DF metas. Nice change of pace. It's not the loot quality perse, I just look around and read what people are saying, "just run them, salvage all sell the mats". Is building our bank accounts what they are designed to do? Where is the thrill of a great loot drop? Only Tequatl seems to have that thrill, someone links an ascended chest, and we congratulate them. That is missing from the avalanche of crafting materials. What am i missing?

> Well, after running MANY, MANY, WB's kinda getting burned out on it,the feeling they are "seemingly pointless" is setting in. So i went back to DF metas. Nice change of pace. It's not the loot quality perse, I just look around and read what people are saying, "just run them, salvage all sell the mats". Is building our bank accounts what they are designed to do? Where is the thrill of a great loot drop? Only Tequatl seems to have that thrill, someone links an ascended chest, and we congratulate them. That is missing from the avalanche of crafting materials. What am i missing?

Check out the treasure hunter collection most bosses have a rare item that drops for that one.

Have you for example got the jormag claw fragment item to open that collection yet?

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Jormag%27s_Claw_Fragment

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> I got an infusion on the first day; first time ever in the game. Thus, there's always a chance for something a little special.

There is a growing thought the drop rates are the best early on and worsen as time goes by. Draw the interest then dangle the carrot, lengthing the stick each day. It is common practice in games like this. Although they use RNG instead of Carrot. But none the less congrats. The first day i had a 22g hammer drop from Jormag, the next day Mathildes Chest from Teq. Since... crafting mats, i sell various stacks every few days. All this is fine, it is just a bit boring after x amount of time. But the collection idea does offer a reason of sorts to continue.

> @"Linken.6345" said:

> > Well, after running MANY, MANY, WB's kinda getting burned out on it,the feeling they are "seemingly pointless" is setting in. So i went back to DF metas. Nice change of pace. It's not the loot quality perse, I just look around and read what people are saying, "just run them, salvage all sell the mats". Is building our bank accounts what they are designed to do? Where is the thrill of a great loot drop? Only Tequatl seems to have that thrill, someone links an ascended chest, and we congratulate them. That is missing from the avalanche of crafting materials. What am i missing?

>

> Check out the treasure hunter collection most bosses have a rare item that drops for that one.

> Have you for example got the jormag claw fragment item to open that collection yet?

> https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Jormag%27s_Claw_Fragment

Having looked at the link it seems to require completion of a quest chain for an exotic weapon. I have ascended so it would either be sold or salvaged and sold. But i appreciate the thought. :)

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > I got an infusion on the first day; first time ever in the game. Thus, there's always a chance for something a little special.

>

> There is a growing thought the drop rates are the best early on and worsen as time goes by.

There's absolutely no evidence that this is true.

> Draw the interest then dangle the carrot, lengthing the stick each day. It is common practice in games like this.

It's not at all common in "games like this." It is used in some games, but even video poker doesn't need to resort to such tactics because our brains already draw incorrect conclusions about RNG without any help from software.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > > I got an infusion on the first day; first time ever in the game. Thus, there's always a chance for something a little special.

> >

> > There is a growing thought the drop rates are the best early on and worsen as time goes by.

> There's absolutely no evidence that this is true.

>

> > Draw the interest then dangle the carrot, lengthing the stick each day. It is common practice in games like this.

> It's not at all common in "games like this." It is used in some games, but even video poker doesn't need to resort to such tactics because our brains already draw incorrect conclusions about RNG without any help from software.

New to gaming are ya, well you'll learn as time goes by. That aside, rng is often referred to as carrot chasing. Psuedo Random code emulating a random event.

I read i do not just speculate. https://engineering.mit.edu/engage/ask-an-engineer/can-a-computer-generate-a-truly-random-number/

That said if you have some word from Anet to the contrary i'd be happy to read it. Always willing to learn. And no where did i complain about this system, i merely stated what i know, after 40+ years in the feild. Oh god i feel old now lol

> New to gaming are ya, well you'll learn as time goes by.

As I said, some games do it; games "like this" don't have to.

> That aside, rng is often referred to as carrot chasing. Psuedo Random code emulating a random event.

Yes, "carrot chasing" happens because our brains are wired in a way that allows it to; it doesn't require software to manipulate RNG. We do just fine misunderstanding odds on our own.

> I read i do not just speculate. https://engineering.mit.edu/engage/ask-an-engineer/can-a-computer-generate-a-truly-random-number/

You've misunderstood. For _practical_ purposes, the numbers generated by a computer are random to any level of measurement we could make.

> That said if you have some word from Anet to the contrary i'd be happy to read it.

You've made the extraordinary claim. I've stated that there is no evidence for it, which is all that someone interested in learning needs to see.

> And no where did i complain about this system,

I'm not sure why you mention this, since I didn't say you complained. You presented a claim without backing it up.

> i merely stated what i know, after 40+ years in the feild.

Then you'd know that (a) RNG in computing is as real as it needs to be for gaming or investment companies, (b) that RNG doesn't have to be manipulated, and © that there's no data in this game showing that the odds of any RNG boxes change over time (except of course when they are overhauled or updated).

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> If the odds were so much better in the beginning, why didn't I get anything from the first 100+ boxes?

> Why aren't there a plethora of posts about great drops when the boxes were first introduced?

> If it isn't regular, what difference would it make?

Keep in mind those posting represent a very small sample of players, most play the game and go about their life never even visiting here. Same holds with in game conversations, many do not join map chat as they just aren't interested. If you read what I wrote here i said a growing thought. I reported what i have heard many times in game. Make of it what you will. Now, I have been around message boards since the 90's. And before the internet, fido net etc. I will not be drawn into meaningless arguements, I have had my say, Posted why i think as I do, and offered a link to a very reputable source. Unless you have more compelling info to support your assertions, we're better served leaving this end. I'm sure Anet is extremely capable of defending themselves should the need arise. That said, no harm no foul, enjoy your time in game.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > New to gaming are ya, well you'll learn as time goes by.

> As I said, some games do it; games "like this" don't have to.

>

> > That aside, rng is often referred to as carrot chasing. Psuedo Random code emulating a random event.

> Yes, "carrot chasing" happens because our brains are wired in a way that allows it to; it doesn't require software to manipulate RNG. We do just fine misunderstanding odds on our own.

>

> > I read i do not just speculate. https://engineering.mit.edu/engage/ask-an-engineer/can-a-computer-generate-a-truly-random-number/

> You've misunderstood. For _practical_ purposes, the numbers generated by a computer are random to any level of measurement we could make.

>

> > That said if you have some word from Anet to the contrary i'd be happy to read it.

> You've made the extraordinary claim. I've stated that there is no evidence for it, which is all that someone interested in learning needs to see.

>

> > And no where did i complain about this system,

> I'm not sure why you mention this, since I didn't say you complained. You presented a claim without backing it up.

>

> > i merely stated what i know, after 40+ years in the feild.

> Then you'd know that (a) RNG in computing is as real as it needs to be for gaming or investment companies, (b) that RNG doesn't have to be manipulated, and © that there's no data in this game showing that the odds of any RNG boxes change over time (except of course when they are overhauled or updated).

>

>

>

>

Random is a concept, when code is written to emulate a random event it is no longer random. QED :) ya'll have fun, I'm out.