Final Fantasy has a Blue Mage class, can we use their tactics to introduce other races in the game?

Rico.6873

![](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/c/cc/Kodan_03_concept_art_%28Kodan_Attack%29.jpg "")

[https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kodan](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kodan "https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kodan")

Being able to play other classes, without them interacting and changing the past this game has established?

_(Translation new races wont have to redo level 1 to 80 story mode they would get their own story mode)_

_(Talking about FFXIV btw)_

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> I've never played FF14, but isn't this effectively what they did with the Revenant class?

No. A revenant starts the game like any other character, at the very beginning of the storyline.

If ArenaNet were to introduce a new race like that, they would have to adapt the story and the voice acting through years of content (core plus all the living world seasons so far).

The equivalent to Blue Mages would be a new race that begins the game in the present, and that has no access to the previous parts of the storyline. Whether that's a good or a bad idea, I'll leave for others to judge.

I'd say this would be a necessity if new races were being developed and introduced.

The problem comes with new voice acting requirements, new wardrobe adjustments (likely remaking whole sets), new animations, etc.

But people are willing to defend the devs from ever requiring from doing any actual work and put resources into [insert personal desire]. It's kind of like the reverse of the whole Pokemon Sword and Shield situation where the devs are removing a subset of pokemon so there is less animation work required and people whining about how the game's taking shortcuts instead of having all the bells and whistles. In GW2, everyone wants as few bells and whistles as possible to implement their goals first...until people start dropping the game for lack of bells and whistles lol

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> I'd say this would be a necessity if new races were being developed and introduced.

>

> The problem comes with new voice acting requirements, new wardrobe adjustments (likely remaking whole sets), new animations, etc.

>

> But people are willing to defend the devs from ever requiring from doing any actual work and put resources into [insert personal desire]. It's kind of like the reverse of the whole Pokemon Sword and Shield situation where the devs are removing a subset of pokemon so there is less animation work required and people whining about how the game's taking shortcuts instead of having all the bells and whistles. In GW2, everyone wants as few bells and whistles as possible to implement their goals first...until people start dropping the game for lack of bells and whistles lol

I agreed with your first two statements. I would absolutely like to see new content, and new races. Totally okay with the ideas of it... but understand that it would be, especially for all the beast races suggested, an enormous undertaking to adapt the literal thousands of armor skins that currently exist across all weights and genders to fit a new character model. Then yes, voice acting and animations as well. A single new race would definitely be an enormous undertaking, and most of all exceptionally expensive. It all comes down to would we rather they sink tons of man hours and money in to adding a single race, or would we rather that be spent elsewhere like living story or raids or fractals etc. etc. etc. With all the other things those devs could be working on instead, a new race becomes a pretty low priority in the grand scheme of things... cause they aren't going to ever be able to do it without taking time away from something else... a lot of time.

> @"Sojourner.4621" said:

> but understand that it would be, especially for all the beast races suggested, an enormous undertaking to adapt the literal thousands of armor skins that currently exist across all weights and genders to fit a new character model.

How abot NOT making those previous skins wearable by Koda and Tengu (wouldn't make sense anyway, it would look ridiculous), but instead giving them 6-10 exclusive cultural armor sets? Would be less of a hassle than squeezing and stretching existent sets.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Sojourner.4621" said:

> > but understand that it would be, especially for all the beast races suggested, an enormous undertaking to adapt the literal thousands of armor skins that currently exist across all weights and genders to fit a new character model.

>

> How abot NOT making those previous skins wearable by Koda and Tengu (wouldn't make sense anyway, it would look ridiculous), but instead giving them 6-10 exclusive cultural armor sets? Would be less of a hassle than squeezing and stretching existent sets.

Quite of lot of players would then fume about the race they so eagerly wanted not having nearly as many options in term of wardrobe. For many, a new race includes new aesthetic, therefore, reducing the aesthetic from another side is likely to cause issue

> @"Naxos.2503" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > @"Sojourner.4621" said:

> > > but understand that it would be, especially for all the beast races suggested, an enormous undertaking to adapt the literal thousands of armor skins that currently exist across all weights and genders to fit a new character model.

> >

> > How abot NOT making those previous skins wearable by Koda and Tengu (wouldn't make sense anyway, it would look ridiculous), but instead giving them 6-10 exclusive cultural armor sets? Would be less of a hassle than squeezing and stretching existent sets.

>

> Quite of lot of players would then fume about the race they so eagerly wanted not having nearly as many options in term of wardrobe.

They would fume more about clipping errors. Also, they would have to ask themselves, "What's more important to me? A new race with limited, yet beautiful armor options, or no new race at all?" - I, for once, would go with option no. 1.

> > @"Naxos.2503" said:

> > > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > > @"Sojourner.4621" said:

> > > > but understand that it would be, especially for all the beast races suggested, an enormous undertaking to adapt the literal thousands of armor skins that currently exist across all weights and genders to fit a new character model.

> > >

> > > How abot NOT making those previous skins wearable by Koda and Tengu (wouldn't make sense anyway, it would look ridiculous), but instead giving them 6-10 exclusive cultural armor sets? Would be less of a hassle than squeezing and stretching existent sets.

> >

> > Quite of lot of players would then fume about the race they so eagerly wanted not having nearly as many options in term of wardrobe.

>

> They would fume more about clipping errors. Also, they would have to ask themselves, "What's more important to me? A new race with limited, yet beautiful armor options, or no new race at all?" - I, for once, would go with option no. 1.

I wouldn't mind either personally, as for clipping, unfortunate to say, but 5 years of playing charrs predominantly got me sadly used to it.

I dont think the armors are That big of an issue, considering most of the races that players want to see already have a playable race's skeleton (Kodan use Norn, Tengu use charr) The clipping would most likely be, Tengus who have feathered wings and Kodan head shape.

I'm personally happy enough with more combat tonics

> @"Rico.6873" said:

> ![](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/c/cc/Kodan_03_concept_art_%28Kodan_Attack%29.jpg "")

>

> [https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kodan](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kodan "https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kodan")

>

> Being able to play other classes, without them interacting and changing the past this game has established?

> _(Translation new races wont have to redo level 1 to 80 story mode they would get their own story mode)_

>

> _(Talking about FFXIV btw)_

>

>

-Your intentions are good-

As I am also a FFXIV player, Please! keep FFXIV elements away from Guild Wars 2

Thank You!!

Blue mage is a complete disaster in FFXIV as a class.

No one is playing it anymore, it is limited, you cant queue up to pvp/dungeons/raids as blue mage, you cant do a ton of things as a blue mage, you are completely locked away from newest content.

If you want ANet to intruduce races on this basis, then you have my big NO.

If they introduced a new race (Kodan) and it couldn't play any of the old story content or even the new story content... But it had a separate story path that by the end converges with the main story, I feel that would be the best option.

It's foolish to assume it be locked out of pvp or wvw or fractals, tho.

Regarding wardrobe, I feel It'd be practical to start them out with outfits and racial armor while over time, introducing retrofitted armor from the past.

People get caught up in whining about what ifs that the actively sabotage those that try to do passionate work. In such cases, you just have to ignore the naysayers or nothing ever gets done. Many criticize the devs for trying to stealth a mobile game project under our nose, but to get ahead, you have to be willing to take risks.

There's a significant difference between Final Fantasy 14's Jobs and Guild Wars 2's Professions. The Professions were designed to be meaningful, but not character-defining choices, with the story focus directly on you, the player, at all times. Jobs were designed to be fluid and malleable, to be changed frequently at the cost of drawing story focus *away* from the specific character, toward their own little story modules. Both have their strengths, but Jobs, with their insular storytelling, are far easier to drop in ad-hoc than Professions.

Fear not, for all is not lost! Professions now have their own form of malleability too! the Elite Specs. Though Specializations could stand a bit more story presence than they currently have (which is basically none), that is how GW2 grows and expands players' style options, very much like Final Fantasy introducing new Jobs.

> @"KelyNeli.4516" said:

> Blue mage is a complete disaster in FFXIV as a class.

> No one is playing it anymore, it is limited, you cant queue up to pvp/dungeons/raids as blue mage, you cant do a ton of things as a blue mage, you are completely locked away from newest content.

> If you want ANet to intruduce races on this basis, then you have my big NO.

While I know little to nothing about FF XIV, it is clear that that's not what the OP meant. A race won't bar you from group activities. ;) What they meant was the _way_ in which that class was introduced, I believe.

> > @"Sojourner.4621" said:

> > but understand that it would be, especially for all the beast races suggested, an enormous undertaking to adapt the literal thousands of armor skins that currently exist across all weights and genders to fit a new character model.

>

> How abot NOT making those previous skins wearable by Koda and Tengu (wouldn't make sense anyway, it would look ridiculous), but instead giving them 6-10 exclusive cultural armor sets? Would be less of a hassle than squeezing and stretching existent sets.

Most of those skins are automatically attached to the armor sets that are a part of the base game. So what do you do, make it so they can't equip any armor that has a pre-existing skin on it? The ascended skins? The crafted exotics? Koda can't equip any of the exalted/emblazoned/draconic armors or the temple armors from karma vendors? That would cause an equal riot.

> @"Sojourner.4621" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > @"Sojourner.4621" said:

> > > but understand that it would be, especially for all the beast races suggested, an enormous undertaking to adapt the literal thousands of armor skins that currently exist across all weights and genders to fit a new character model.

> >

> > How abot NOT making those previous skins wearable by Koda and Tengu (wouldn't make sense anyway, it would look ridiculous), but instead giving them 6-10 exclusive cultural armor sets? Would be less of a hassle than squeezing and stretching existent sets.

>

> Most of those skins are automatically attached to the armor sets that are a part of the base game. So what do you do, make it so they can't equip any armor that has a pre-existing skin on it? The ascended skins? The crafted exotics? Koda can't equip any of the exalted/emblazoned/draconic armors or the temple armors from karma vendors? That would cause an equal riot.

Until they are modeled, any skins that can't be set would just be barred. You'd have to reskin them as one of the available skins. You can equip the gear but not the skin.

If people riot while also having full knowledge it is a work-in-progress, then ignore them. Just because people throw tantrums don't mean they are justified attention.

I'm honestly tired of whiny people that throw hissy fits holding the world hostage as if we should all fear their rueful rage and crybaby antics.

> @"Erasculio.2914" said:

> > @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > I've never played FF14, but isn't this effectively what they did with the Revenant class?

>

> No. A revenant starts the game like any other character, at the very beginning of the storyline.

>

> If ArenaNet were to introduce a new race like that, they would have to adapt the story and the voice acting through years of content (core plus all the living world seasons so far).

>

> The equivalent to Blue Mages would be a new race that begins the game in the present, and that has no access to the previous parts of the storyline. Whether that's a good or a bad idea, I'll leave for others to judge.

They could add a Kodan specified class with kodan elite would not be needed to make other classes to work on kodan, same could happen to the avicaras.

> @"Rico.6873" said:

> ![](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/c/cc/Kodan_03_concept_art_%28Kodan_Attack%29.jpg "")

>

> [https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kodan](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kodan "https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Kodan")

>

> Being able to play other classes, without them interacting and changing the past this game has established?

> _(Translation new races wont have to redo level 1 to 80 story mode they would get their own story mode)_

>

> _(Talking about FFXIV btw)_

Correct me if I am wrong but isn't blue mage so intentionally broken right out of the box that it is 100% not eligible to participate in certain content?

Didn't FF14 gender lock their two new races because (even as the second most profitable MMORPG going today) they didn't have the resources?

I'm not saying Arenanet is a perfect. I'm not a fan of all the gaps that were left in Rev when it was released, but really I would rather not see this game emulate these kind of design choices.

If a stripped down experience is good enough for you, then there's a Kodan combat tonic with your name on it.