braham's voice actor overused

DarkRam.1572

anyone else think brahams voice actor is being used for too many characters?

hes a good voice actor for braham but cant really change his voice,tones or accents very well .

hearing braham all over the place is immersion breaking for me. if their going to reuse the same actor ateast try and make the different npc's sound unique

its not just brahams VA either,their making their other VAs do too many characters too.

again i dont mind if they reuse VA's but atleast put some effort into sounding different or editing the voice after.

I bet it is scheduling thing, it is made somewhere around summer months so Sam was one of the VAs that had some time to spare. Maybe next time the devs will play more with voice modulation to get more variety of NPC chatter.

Even though it somewhat sounded that Braham was everywhere the chatter adds great atmosphere like a moving world. Also grats on Sam Riegel voicing most of it and still nailing Braham.

I don't usually mind reusing VA's but there was a noticable amount of Braham voice not coming from Braham in this patch lol

I don't know how much work goes into recording voiceovers for the game nor the kind of tech and editing needed for it but i've always wondered why Anet hasn't asked some of the more known community members.. Youtubers/streamers etc if they're interested in doing some VA work for random background characters.

I'm sure a good number of them would jump at the chance to voice some NPC's.

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> I don't usually mind reusing VA's but there was a noticable amount of Braham voice not coming from Braham in this patch lol

>

> I don't know how much work goes into recording voiceovers for the game nor the kind of tech and editing needed for it but i've always wondered why Anet hasn't asked some of the more known community members.. Youtubers/streamers etc if they're interested in doing some VA work for random background characters.

> I'm sure a good number of them would jump at the chance to voice some NPC's.

Many legal problems involved in that including contracts and upsetting paid voice actors by giving away their work

Braham's actor was used quite a bit, and it was a bit surprising to continually hear his voice from numerous different characters.

As I understand it, the Dead By Daylight devs exclusively use their own staff members to voice characters. Granted, it a different circumstance, but doing something similar would probably cut down a bit on hiring actors.

Beyond that, I don't think it's entirely necessary to have quite so many in-game characters given voiced dialogue. I know I'm in the minority on that, but I don't mind doing some actual reading. Classic RPGs such as Baldur's Gate have some partially-voiced lines, followed by non-voiced dialogue. There are options.

> @"DarkRam.1572" said:

> anyone else think brahams voice actor is being used for too many characters?

> hes a good voice actor for braham but cant really change his voice,tones or accents very well .

> hearing braham all over the place is immersion breaking for me. if their going to reuse the same actor ateast try and make the different npc's sound unique

> its not just brahams VA either,their making their other VAs do too many characters too.

> again i dont mind if they reuse VA's but atleast put some effort into sounding different or editing the voice after.

Felt so as well, especially since it's not just ambient NPC's on the map, but almost every other Charr in the main story seemed to be Braham as well.

Especially with the Illusion disguise thing going on at some point, I at points genuinely thought I was just drunk Braham messing about being in Charr disguise as well, before realising no, it's just supposed to be another NPC with obviously the same voice actor, again.

> @"Randulf.7614" said:

> > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > I don't usually mind reusing VA's but there was a noticable amount of Braham voice not coming from Braham in this patch lol

> >

> > I don't know how much work goes into recording voiceovers for the game nor the kind of tech and editing needed for it but i've always wondered why Anet hasn't asked some of the more known community members.. Youtubers/streamers etc if they're interested in doing some VA work for random background characters.

> > I'm sure a good number of them would jump at the chance to voice some NPC's.

>

> Many legal problems involved in that including contracts and upsetting paid voice actors by giving away their work

Yeah you're probably right.

Although I dunno if paid actors would be that mad about some cameo NPC voice roles from community figures.

It's not like they would be main characters or anything, just background NPC's.. and they'd only be brought in if the paid guys were too busy or something.

Actually, I always wished they'd ban Braham, Would be hilarious for a company to ban an NPC, and remove him from cut scenes while leaving the space in time where he talked leaving plot holes, either leave his name in the dialogue, or replace it with [Redacted].

I'd play through it all for the hilarity, I never liked GW2 stories, but that would make them fun.

What gaming really needs is natural voice synthesis.

Then we'd have the actors record inflection dictionaries as numerical data that takes way less space that audio, texts tagged for voices that will be used and settings to adjust for specific changes in voices, and some changes in pitch here and there, and we'd be able to even customize character voices.