What stats do you use exept Berserker's and Viper's for Open World?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Obviously this is for power, plus I mix it with Assassins to get 80% crit chance before fury. I dont even feel Berserker is "meta" in OW where you cant rely on others to get you to 100% crit chance.

For condi, I usually go Rabid as often there is an on crit trait somewhere, but ultimately condi just kinda bugs me on OW; too many "objects" not affected by conditions.

For open world I usually just use my raid gear/build. I do throw on marauder's for some if I'm doing story missions, but that's about it. Oh, and the random ascended accessories from fractals since I'm too cheap to spend upwards of 10g on berserker accessories every time I roll a new alt. Not for open world, anyway. The only exception is if something has toughness because I'd rather not draw aggro in group situations.

Scrapper - Commander: back when it still has a trait that convert 10% of toughness into power, it's now taking up space in my char inventory :/

Weaver - Grieving: ho boy was i having difficult in getting critical hit and staying alive but thanks to traits changes, it's much easier now

Tempest, Berserker, Deadeye - Assassin: whenever i see a trait that convert precision into ferocity, i gotta build for critical hit, will never forget that moment when i downed a warrior at 75% as a Deadeye

Reaper - Soldier: like Scrapper but very low critical hit chance, i deleted this build after few testing, and with the new Death magic update? Don't need toughness anymore

Also Reaper - Valkyrie: increased criticsl hit chance while in shroud? Gotta try that out, same fate as Soldier

Daredevil/Thief - Valkyrie: stealth backstab stealth backstab stealth backstab or white number

Ive found that, while not optimal... Certain classes that meet specific prerequisites can make use of Grieving in open world, and it changes the play style.

To make use of grieving you must meet the following criteria.

- have good power damage coefficient weapons

- have a single condition you can dedicate to, that has both a class duration trait, *and* a corresponding rune and or sigil set. (so that you don't have to spend gear slots on expertise.)

- you have to be able to get to 100% crit chance. (grieving has lowish crit. So you need some class crit traits to pull it off.)

Which means only a couple classes can do the thing well. I've personally used the following for open world, and found them every bit as *effective* as the meta builds.

- Reaper-- bleeding (currently playing this. Very fun)

- Holosmith-- burning, or bleeding (burning works better, bleeds are more fun to play IMO.)

- Deadeye-- poison, (cool with daggers, absolutely a blast with a rifle.)

- Firebrand-- burning. It's meta even.

- Weaver-- bleeding, or burning. (I found either pure power or pure condi to be more effective, but fire/air/weaver hybrid with sword dagger is amazingly fun.)

There may be other classes capable of a functioning (and by that I mean, roughly 7/8ish the dps of a pure build, that feels different from playing a pure build) hybrind build. And if there are I'd love to play them.

They all have low ramp up times on damage, and fun numbers from condis. Good times XD

When running a condition-based Weaver, I like to run Trailblazer's for the extra survivability that it offers through the Toughness and Vitality. Plus access to Expertise is always lovely. I come it with Undead runes. 'Tis quite fun. Not the best for damage but I like the mixture it offers, particularly for a low vitality class.

I think Toughness/Vitality are probably a bit underrated in open world. Everybody loves to say "get gud dodge moar", but this is sort of a meme - no matter how good you are at the game you'll still eat plenty of hits, especially while playing solo and fighting multiple enemies. Mixing in a modest amount of toughness/vitality (though not too much), especially for some builds, is a good way of gaining a bit more battlefield control and sustainability.

It's never worth giving up Power for toughness/vitality, because Power is the king stat for open world (this is why Celestial kind of sucks), but it is sometimes worth giving up a bit of Precision/Ferocity for toughness/vitality.

For this reason, I like to mix in a few soldier pieces with berserker/assassin. There are several builds where I prefer doing this over using Marauder's. A lot of builds also benefit from running stats like concentration for boon sharing. In a small group of 2 or 3, having a boon-share/heal build can be really beneficial as long as it doesn't give up too much damage (power) to do it.

There's a couple that I use aside from berserker and viper.

(1): Diviner. I have this on my mesmer and revenant... sometimes. Tactics aside, Diviner does 78% of the damage of Berserker, so it is a pretty hefty nerf overall in DPS output. BUT, the ability to cap the boons of nearby players can really make up for it. Full boons for an entire team is a massive force multiplier. Whenever I bring my chrono to any big event, I always hear exclamations about how they're suddenly killing everything so fast.

(2): Grievers. I have this on my guardian, and I've liked the set so much I rarely take it off. Unless things have changed recently, in overall damage it is about equal to what vipers does. But, the main advantage is how the damage gets split. There is still a lot of places where enemies are immune to conditions, but Grievers muscles past those obstacles without breaking a sweat.

(3): Harriers. This is a specialty set. I have one on my Elementalist and Guardian, but my rev and guard swap armor sometimes. I only wear this set if I'm commanding in a very dangerous area. In that case, nothing carries as hard as a healer.

(4): Marauder*. This one gets an asterisk, though, because it is my WvW set. I just can't be bothered to swap out to berserker sometimes. Overall there's not much difference, since Marauder does about 90% of the damage of Berserkers.

> @"Einlanzer.1627" said:

> I think Toughness/Vitality are probably a bit underrated in open world. Everybody loves to say "get gud dodge moar", but this is sort of a meme - no matter how good you are at the game you'll still eat plenty of hits, especially while playing solo and fighting multiple enemies. Mixing in a modest amount of toughness/vitality (though not too much), especially for some builds, is a good way of gaining a bit more battlefield control and sustainability.

>

> It's never worth giving up Power for toughness/vitality, because Power is the king stat for open world (this is why Celestial kind of sucks), but it is sometimes worth giving up a bit of Precision/Ferocity for toughness/vitality.

>

> For this reason, I like to mix in a few soldier pieces with berserker/assassin. There are several builds where I prefer doing this over using Marauder's. A lot of builds also benefit from running stats like concentration for boon sharing. In a small group of 2 or 3, having a boon-share/heal build can be really beneficial as long as it doesn't give up too much damage (power) to do it.

Tanky stats are mostly condi, because you don't need power/prec for condi damage on some classes, e.g. scourge. Power build need 3 stats (power, precision, ferocity), and condi only 2 (condition damage, expertise — or only condition damage, e.g. necro's condis have very long base duration). Also: some condi specs can fill their expertise only with runes/sigils and build (fire weaver rely only on burning, and 50% burning duration comes from runes — rune of balthazar).

> @"Einlanzer.1627" said:

> I think Toughness/Vitality are probably a bit underrated in open world. Everybody loves to say "get gud dodge moar", but this is sort of a meme - no matter how good you are at the game you'll still eat plenty of hits, especially while playing solo and fighting multiple enemies. Mixing in a modest amount of toughness/vitality (though not too much), especially for some builds, is a good way of gaining a bit more battlefield control and sustainability.

>

> It's never worth giving up Power for toughness/vitality, because Power is the king stat for open world (this is why Celestial kind of sucks), but it is sometimes worth giving up a bit of Precision/Ferocity for toughness/vitality.

>

> For this reason, I like to mix in a few soldier pieces with berserker/assassin. There are several builds where I prefer doing this over using Marauder's. A lot of builds also benefit from running stats like concentration for boon sharing. In a small group of 2 or 3, having a boon-share/heal build can be really beneficial as long as it doesn't give up too much damage (power) to do it.

There's also some situations in the open world where dodging won't help you and other forms of active defense aren't practical. Random example, because it just happened to me: my warrior is currently at the elder wood farm in Malchor's Leap and still wearing the level 80 boost equipment (soldier's stats - power, toughness, vitality). The statue was active and pulsing damage on everyone near it. Players who were paying attention were having to run in, harvest one tree, run out, heal, run in etc. It worked, but it took a lot longer. Those who weren't paying attention were constantly getting downed or even killed by the damage. Meanwhile I was able to stand in it the entire time, not only harvesting all the trees but also reviving downed players and only needed to use my healing skill once.

Admittedly that character is excessively tanky, even for me. I don't think I needed all that defese (especially since I think it was condition damage, so the toughness won't have helped) but some passive defense definititely helps for times like that when damage isn't coming from a few specific attacks or enemies.

(And in case anyone is wondering there was already a squad re-taking the temple.)

Pahua (trailblazer) for my pure Condi Ranger..... people will probably call me crazy for this choice but everytime I try something that has no Toughness I start to die in PvE which makes me sad(talking large groups solo in HoT, not Core Tyria, nobody dies there). I am still contemplating ditching Toughness because I often do get a lot of aggro (I am always in melee distance with Dagger/Soulbeast/Traps trying to stack those Bleeds as high as possible) but since I barely die I am sticking with it. Besides, would not really know with what to replace it. Power would be a waste since I am concentrating all my skills and weapons on condi's and prefer to melee with dagger (not liking Bow). Maybe Healing Power? My heal is kinda sucky. Not even sure there is a stat combo like that.

Besides, the investment in Pahua was pretty big so... :)

Also, I wish Power was not so linked with Precision and Ferocity, I always feel that if you go for a Power build, you have to take Precision and Ferocity too to make it really shine. This probably differs per Class/skillchoice somewhat but still.

How cool would it be if Condi damage could Crit too. :D I know, overpowered, balance etcetera but it sure was fun in Everquest!

Open world doesn't really warrant any special treatment, and i have no fully devoted WvW builds so it's mostly raid meta builds for me. Only real exception is use carrion in place of vipers if i don't got the gold for full vipers.

Not that i'd ever suggest this to my non raider friends..... carrion, marauder, soldier, trailblazer gear for them.

> @"ScyeRynn.4218" said:

> All zerk, all the time. Max power.

lel ur 1 of those ppl i have to keep rezzin all the time :) i say it and i'll say it again dead dps is no dps.

yes i play zerk on some toons sb ranger has a lot of sustain but i could really say i use all depending wat it's for, my necro reaper is full vipers, my mirage mes is full trailblazers, engie marauders zerk trinkets weapons etc.

My builds have to solo large mobs including hot maps easy mode.

> @"BrokenGlass.9356" said:

> Ive found that, while not optimal... Certain classes that meet specific prerequisites can make use of Grieving in open world, and it changes the play style.

>

> To make use of grieving you must meet the following criteria.

>

> - have good power damage coefficient weapons

> - have a single condition you can dedicate to, that has both a class duration trait, *and* a corresponding rune and or sigil set. (so that you don't have to spend gear slots on expertise.)

> - you have to be able to get to 100% crit chance. (grieving has lowish crit. So you need some class crit traits to pull it off.)

>

> Which means only a couple classes can do the thing well. I've personally used the following for open world, and found them every bit as *effective* as the meta builds.

> - Reaper-- bleeding (currently playing this. Very fun)

> - Holosmith-- burning, or bleeding (burning works better, bleeds are more fun to play IMO.)

> - Deadeye-- poison, (cool with daggers, absolutely a blast with a rifle.)

> - Firebrand-- burning. It's meta even.

> - Weaver-- bleeding, or burning. (I found either pure power or pure condi to be more effective, but fire/air/weaver hybrid with sword dagger is amazingly fun.)

>

> There may be other classes capable of a functioning (and by that I mean, roughly 7/8ish the dps of a pure build, that feels different from playing a pure build) hybrid build. And if there are I'd love to play them.

>

> They all have low ramp up times on damage, and fun numbers from condis. Good times XD

Grieving on firebrand works because of axe power coefficients and availability of burning runes. Grieving is also preferred in WvW due to condi clears.

On classes such as scourge necromancer the power coefficient on scepter/staff weapons is so low that viper's is the default choice due to condition duration. Grieving is typically used in WvW along with celestial pieces due to condi clears and the shorter duration of corrupted boons.