GW2 is becoming more like GW1?

I really wish they added some kind of dragon age companions. Where they can help out in some group content, and also you can romance and have a relationship or friendship with them. I think many mmos would benefit from this. I know it would make much sense if you have 53i3i84828384 people supposedly romancing the same npc, but again we're all supposed to be the pact commander so I don't know how different this would be. I think it adds up a lot of depth to the companion system in general.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Evon Skyfyre.9673" said:

> Okay lets try it this way, apples and oranges...

>

> GW1 Instanced Co-op

> GW2 Open world MMORPG

>

> GW1 Secondary profession ability unlocked after ascension

> GW2 Mastery Skills unlock after obtaining enough HP's

>

> GW 1 Capes (Guild)

> Gw2 Capes (Guild/Normal)

>

> GW1 Templates

> Gw2 Templates

>

> Gw1 Outfits? (long time since I played it)

> GW2 Outfits

>

> GW1 - No Housing

> GW2 - Housing of a sort

>

> Gw1 Guild hall (not able to decorate)

> GW2 Guild Hall (Decorating available)

>

> GW1 No Player Crafting

> GW2 Crafting

>

> GW1 No mounts

> Gw2 Mounts

>

>

GW1: 8v8 GvG Guildhall battle

GW2: -crickets-

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > Why would Anet add any of that? Heros? if you need a hero to play this game, you are pretty hopeless.

>

> It meant you didn't need to interact if you chose not to. If you were not in my party when I left a camp you didn't exist. The good old days. Lol

Depending on the content, that's already true though ... and has been for a long time. I've been 'leaving camp' in GW2 since the beginning without having to interact with people almost all the time.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > @"Evon Skyfyre.9673" said:

> > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > Why would Anet add any of that? Heros? if you need a hero to play this game, you are pretty hopeless.

> >

> > It meant you didn't need to interact if you chose not to. If you were not in my party when I left a camp you didn't exist. The good old days. Lol

>

> Depending on the content, that's already true though ... and has been for a long time. I've been 'leaving camp' in GW2 since the beginning without having to interact with people almost all the time.

I do this as well, which begs the question, "Why play an mmo?". I think lately it's not an mmorpg, the game has become an MMOFPS. Many people playing alone. Metas are so rinse and repeat, the others might as well be npcs. I almost enjoy wipes etc, at least others complain. How sad is that lol

> I do this as well, which begs the question, "Why play an mmo?". I think lately it's not an mmorpg, the game has become an MMOFPS.

How did it become an **FPS**?

Unless you play Deadeye and zoom to **first person** camera view, it's not even remotely close to all those mass produced **first person shooters**.

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > @"Evon Skyfyre.9673" said:

> > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > Why would Anet add any of that? Heros? if you need a hero to play this game, you are pretty hopeless.

> > >

> > > It meant you didn't need to interact if you chose not to. If you were not in my party when I left a camp you didn't exist. The good old days. Lol

> >

> > Depending on the content, that's already true though ... and has been for a long time. I've been 'leaving camp' in GW2 since the beginning without having to interact with people almost all the time.

>

> I do this as well, which begs the question, "Why play an mmo?".

Because you like playing it. I mean ... if you don't like it, don't play it. It really doesn't matter what it's called. You can't play a game because the label you apply to it doesn't seem accurate? That's your hang up.

> Many people playing alone.

In instanced content you play -with- other people just fine. Imagine if you had to make pre-made groups to go fight in the open world, that would be total mess for everyone involved.

> Metas are so rinse and repeat, the others might as well be npcs. I almost enjoy wipes etc, at least others complain.

Reminds me of GW1 dungeons and elite areas. They were all "rinse and repeat" and even when you played with other humans it was as if they were npcs.

> @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> Understandable... game would become to hard for most.

You mean really easy for most. There is a reason many want to bring Heroes/Henchmen into GW2 and that's not because they find the game too easy. Rather, it's because they find it too hard to play and want to fill the gaps with npcs to make it easy mode, like they did in GW1

It has been stated that Guild Wars runs on the same server clusters as Guild Wars 2 and takes minimal resources to do so. I heavily doubt that the original game will ever be closed down and I do not believe ArenaNet would want to. They are well aware that there are passionate Guild Wars players out there, myself included (though I'm rarely active nowadays), and I think they would prefer to keep them happy than risk a bad PR incident by closing it.

GW1 isn't anywhere nearing EOL because cost to operate is practically nothing, unless it was migrated from the NCSoft servers(which it could have been if they no longer exist), cost is still practically nothing, and what ever money people do spend is just money in the bank...besides the good will it brings to those that still log in occasionally. As for GW2 getting closer to being like GW1, not even, they're miles apart and will remain that way.

> @"coso.9173" said:

> I really wish they added some kind of dragon age companions. Where they can help out in some group content, and also you can romance and have a relationship or friendship with them. I think many mmos would benefit from this. I know it would make much sense if you have 53i3i84828384 people supposedly romancing the same npc, but again we're all supposed to be the pact commander so I don't know how different this would be. I think it adds up a lot of depth to the companion system in general.

You just described SWTOR.

> @"coso.9173" said:

> I really wish they added some kind of dragon age companions. Where they can help out in some group content, and also you can romance and have a relationship or friendship with them. I think many mmos would benefit from this. I know it would make much sense if you have 53i3i84828384 people supposedly romancing the same npc, but again we're all supposed to be the pact commander so I don't know how different this would be. I think it adds up a lot of depth to the companion system in general.

Dragon Age Origins was hands down my favorite game of all time.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> >

> > @"Aeolus.3615" said:

> > Understandable... game would become to hard for most.

>

> You mean really easy for most. There is a reason many want to bring Heroes/Henchmen into GW2 and that's not because they find the game too easy. Rather, it's because they find it too hard to play and want to fill the gaps with npcs to make it easy mode, like they did in GW1

I was talking towards game balance and skill design in mind, if Anet added heroes i supposed content would be harder, cause atm on solo is piece of cake to a to boring yawn time.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > Lots of interesting responses, lots to think about....

>

> Honestly, you're probably thinking way too much. If you like the game, play it. If you don't ... move on. Forget about labels or what it's called.

You're advice is interesting, would you accept it if given? Advice is easy to give, hard to follow. The same could be said for your presence here. You do not agree with the premise, or any opinions contrary to your own. If I were to ask why are you here, would you know, or simply get upset and attack me?

> Okay lets try it this way, apples and oranges...

>

> GW1 Instanced Co-op

> GW2 Open world MMORPG

>

> GW1 Secondary profession ability unlocked after ascension

> GW2 Mastery Skills unlock after obtaining enough HP's

>

> GW 1 Capes (Guild)

> Gw2 Capes (Guild/Normal)

>

> GW1 Templates

> Gw2 Templates

>

> Gw1 Outfits? (long time since I played it)

> GW2 Outfits

>

> GW1 - No Housing

> GW2 - Housing of a sort

>

> Gw1 Guild hall (not able to decorate)

> GW2 Guild Hall (Decorating available)

>

> GW1 No Player Crafting

> GW2 Crafting

>

> GW1 No mounts

> Gw2 Mounts

>

>

I can do that with any two MMOs and they will be similar, lol

> @"otto.5684" said:

> > Okay lets try it this way, apples and oranges...

> >

> > GW1 Instanced Co-op

> > GW2 Open world MMORPG

> >

> > GW1 Secondary profession ability unlocked after ascension

> > GW2 Mastery Skills unlock after obtaining enough HP's

> >

> > GW 1 Capes (Guild)

> > Gw2 Capes (Guild/Normal)

> >

> > GW1 Templates

> > Gw2 Templates

> >

> > Gw1 Outfits? (long time since I played it)

> > GW2 Outfits

> >

> > GW1 - No Housing

> > GW2 - Housing of a sort

> >

> > Gw1 Guild hall (not able to decorate)

> > GW2 Guild Hall (Decorating available)

> >

> > GW1 No Player Crafting

> > GW2 Crafting

> >

> > GW1 No mounts

> > Gw2 Mounts

> >

> >

>

> I can do that with any two MMOs and they will be similar, lol

Dear Dwayna you're bored..

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > Lots of interesting responses, lots to think about....

> >

> > Honestly, you're probably thinking way too much. If you like the game, play it. If you don't ... move on. Forget about labels or what it's called.

>

> You're advice is interesting, would you accept it if given?

Yeah of course I do EVERY DAY ... because I don't have a hangup on what label applied to a game or make weird comparisons to other games or baseless assumptions about what might happen to it to assess if it's worth playing. I assess it's play-worthiness it based on the enjoyment I get from actually playing it. Any other assessment of playability is just contrived.

So when I tell you are thinking too much about it, it's basically a recommendation you assess the game based on it's play, not some other irrelevant factors.

I mean, if you think there is ANY reason to play a game OTHER than the fact you like playing it, I can't imagine what it is so it's not unreasonable to just conclude this is just a complaint about how you think there isn't enough "MM" in the MMO part of this game. Sure .. that's a pretty academic discussion right there, but if you want to push that into "I dunno if that's a problem for me playing this game" ... it honestly should NOT be. If you feel you don't like playing the game it's not enjoyable to you, the answer is simple; don't play it. If you are finding some reasons outside of how it plays to assess it as a game, then you are just going fishing.

> @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > @"Evon Skyfyre.9673" said:

> > > > Lots of interesting responses, lots to think about....

> > >

> > > Honestly, you're probably thinking way too much. If you like the game, play it. If you don't ... move on. Forget about labels or what it's called.

> >

> > You're advice is interesting, would you accept it if given?

>

> Yeah of course I do EVERY DAY ... because I don't have a hangup on what label applied to a game or make weird comparisons to other games or baseless assumptions about what might happen to it to assess if it's worth playing. I assess it's play-worthiness it based on the enjoyment I get from actually playing it. Any other assessment of playability is just contrived.

>

> So when I tell you are thinking too much about it, it's basically a recommendation you assess the game based on it's play, not some other irrelevant factors.

>

> I mean, if you think there is ANY reason to play a game OTHER than the fact you like playing it, I can't imagine what it is so it's not unreasonable to just conclude this is just a complaint about how you think there isn't enough "MM" in the MMO part of this game. Sure .. that's a pretty academic discussion right there, but if you want to push that into "I dunno if that's a problem for me playing this game" ... it honestly should NOT be. If you feel you don't like playing the game it's not enjoyable to you, the answer is simple; don't play it. If you are finding some reasons outside of how it plays to assess it as a game, then you are just going fishing.

>

>

So attack was your choice.

> > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > @"Obtena.7952" said:

> > > > > @"Evon Skyfyre.9673" said:

> > > > > Lots of interesting responses, lots to think about....

> > > >

> > > > Honestly, you're probably thinking way too much. If you like the game, play it. If you don't ... move on. Forget about labels or what it's called.

> > >

> > > You're advice is interesting, would you accept it if given?

> >

> > Yeah of course I do EVERY DAY ... because I don't have a hangup on what label applied to a game or make weird comparisons to other games or baseless assumptions about what might happen to it to assess if it's worth playing. I assess it's play-worthiness it based on the enjoyment I get from actually playing it. Any other assessment of playability is just contrived.

> >

> > So when I tell you are thinking too much about it, it's basically a recommendation you assess the game based on it's play, not some other irrelevant factors.

> >

> > I mean, if you think there is ANY reason to play a game OTHER than the fact you like playing it, I can't imagine what it is so it's not unreasonable to just conclude this is just a complaint about how you think there isn't enough "MM" in the MMO part of this game. Sure .. that's a pretty academic discussion right there, but if you want to push that into "I dunno if that's a problem for me playing this game" ... it honestly should NOT be. If you feel you don't like playing the game it's not enjoyable to you, the answer is simple; don't play it. If you are finding some reasons outside of how it plays to assess it as a game, then you are just going fishing.

> >

> >

>

> So attack was your choice.

There isn't any attack here. If you 've been around as long as you say, then you should be more tolerant and open minded in these kinds of forums. You want to discuss how you think GW2 is becoming GW1 and it's impact ... that's what we are doing. If anyone is turning this into an attack ... it's you by how you are labeling the discussion. GW2 is **nothing** like GW1 ... so the hypothesis is becoming more similar to it can only be thought to be due to some underlying agenda you have.

Notice ... you didn't DISAGREE with the idea that your discussion isn't just a complaint about the direction of GW2 ... So much for you wanting to discuss. IF we have companions we would be 90% there? OK ... but there is ZERO incentive to do that because as I said ... if you need a companion to get through this game ... you are hopeless as a player of games just generally.