It's 7+ years and still no name reset. Why?

Xar.6279

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> How do you know that the names you want are from people who stopped playing in 2012? Unless you’ve been checking since that time they could have stopped recently.

There's actually no nicknames I want. But anyway IMO they should reset it regularly.

> @"Xar.6279" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > How do you know that the names you want are from people who stopped playing in 2012? Unless you’ve been checking since that time they could have stopped recently.

>

> There's actually no nicknames I want. But meantime IMO they should reset it regularly.

Disagree with you. i had to stop playing for three years because of multiple deployments, i would have been pissed off if they reset my names when i came back.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> > @"Xar.6279" said:

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > How do you know that the names you want are from people who stopped playing in 2012? Unless you’ve been checking since that time they could have stopped recently.

> >

> > There's actually no nicknames I want. But meantime IMO they should reset it regularly.

>

> Disagree with you. i had to stop playing for three years because of multiple deployments, i would have been pissed off if they reset my names when i came back.

Why? Just rename it. It's just character name.

ID is more important in GW2.

Hard no, buddy. Imagine paying for a game where it's understood that your characters are yours until you delete them, losing access to the internet for any number of reasons, and coming back to find your account stripped of characters because you didn't log in soon enough?

A more reasonable request would be to allow multiple accounts to use the same character name, as there are currently games which do this. Still, this request assumes it wouldn't break ArenaNet's core game code, which has been described as a saucy heap of spaghetti and existential terror.

> @"Xar.6279" said:

> > How do you know that the names you want are from people who stopped playing in 2012? Unless you’ve been checking since that time they could have stopped recently.

>

> There's actually no nicknames I want. But meantime IMO they should reset it regularly.

So you don’t actually want any character names. You’re just speaking on behalf of hypothetical players who may or may not want character names abandoned by players who may or may not have stopped playing in 2012?

It’s actually not that hard to get a unique char name. Adding a last name or changing the spelling a bit will do it.

> @"Xar.6279" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > @"Xar.6279" said:

> > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > How do you know that the names you want are from people who stopped playing in 2012? Unless you’ve been checking since that time they could have stopped recently.

> > >

> > > There's actually no nicknames I want. But meantime IMO they should reset it regularly.

> >

> > Disagree with you. i had to stop playing for three years because of multiple deployments, i would have been pissed off if they reset my names when i came back.

>

> Why? Just rename it. It's just character name.

> ID is more important in GW2.

No, its more than a character name. All my characters have stories and backgrounds that i wrote for them. Lets rename Frodo and Harry Potter while we are at, afterall its just names, right?

> @"AgentMoore.9453" said:

> Hard no, buddy. Imagine paying for a game where it's understood that your characters are yours until you delete them, losing access to the internet for any number of reasons, and coming back to find your account stripped of characters because you didn't log in soon enough?

It actually happened to me. Other (successful) mmorpg's reset character names and it works fine.

They should never reset names. Plenty of players return back and forth all the time. Resetting names should not be a thing in any mmo imo

You also answered your own thread with this

> @"Xar.6279" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > @"Xar.6279" said:

> > > > How do you know that the names you want are from people who stopped playing in 2012? Unless you’ve been checking since that time they could have stopped recently.

> > >

> > > There's actually no nicknames I want. But meantime IMO they should reset it regularly.

> >

> > Disagree with you. i had to stop playing for three years because of multiple deployments, i would have been pissed off if they reset my names when i came back.

>

> @"Xar.6279" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > @"Xar.6279" said:

> > >

> >

>

Wait wait wait. So people who have a name they picked freed up based on your idea should just come up with a new one but those who want a used name can't?

> @"Xar.6279" said:

Wait, what? If character names are not really important to you, then what is this thread about again? ^^ Just look for names that are not taken.

I know I know, you don't really have an issue with names being taken, despite starting this thread. But maybe you could be a bit consistent in your argumentation.

Btw, I also had a 3 years break and was pretty happy to find my characters still as I left them, names and equipment intact. My names are not that special, but they are still part of the character.

> @"Xar.6279" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > @"Xar.6279" said:

> > >

> >

>

If it’s just a char name then instead of asking for someone else’s character name just pick a different name.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"Xar.6279" said:

> > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > @"Xar.6279" said:

> > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > How do you know that the names you want are from people who stopped playing in 2012? Unless you’ve been checking since that time they could have stopped recently.

> > > >

> > > > There's actually no nicknames I want. But meantime IMO they should reset it regularly.

> > >

> > > Disagree with you. i had to stop playing for three years because of multiple deployments, i would have been pissed off if they reset my names when i came back.

> >

> > Why? Just rename it. It's just character name.

> > ID is more important in GW2.

>

> If it’s just a char name then instead of asking for someone else’s character name just pick a different name.

I was creating alt character few days ago and it's really hard to find free name these days. I like to have up to 5 letters in the nickname. I spent around 1-2 hours to find something what's not already used.

> @"Xar.6279" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > @"Xar.6279" said:

> > >

> >

>

If it's not important, why does it matter if character names are released or not?

> @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> > @"Xar.6279" said:

> > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > How do you know that the names you want are from people who stopped playing in 2012? Unless you’ve been checking since that time they could have stopped recently.

> > > >

> > > > There's actually no nicknames I want. But meantime IMO they should reset it regularly.

> > >

> > > Disagree with you. i had to stop playing for three years because of multiple deployments, i would have been pissed off if they reset my names when i came back.

> >

> > Why? Just rename it. It's just character name.

> > ID is more important in GW2.

>

> If it's not important, why does it matter if character names are released or not?

Reason is very simple. With regular name resets (once per 2 years for example) it would be MUCH easier to find some cool names for your new characters.

> @"Xar.6279" said:

> > @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> > > @"Xar.6279" said:

> > > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > > @"Xar.6279" said:

> > > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > How do you know that the names you want are from people who stopped playing in 2012? Unless you’ve been checking since that time they could have stopped recently.

> > > > >

> > > > > There's actually no nicknames I want. But meantime IMO they should reset it regularly.

> > > >

> > > > Disagree with you. i had to stop playing for three years because of multiple deployments, i would have been pissed off if they reset my names when i came back.

> > >

> > > Why? Just rename it. It's just character name.

> > > ID is more important in GW2.

> >

> > If it's not important, why does it matter if character names are released or not?

>

> Reason is very simple. With regular name resets (once per 2 years for example) it would be MUCH easier to find some cool names for your new characters.

But according to you, character names are not important. So by that logic, ANet has no reason to reset character names.

> @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> > @"Xar.6279" said:

> > > @"Diak Atoli.2085" said:

> > > > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > > > @"Xar.6279" said:

> > > > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > > How do you know that the names you want are from people who stopped playing in 2012? Unless you’ve been checking since that time they could have stopped recently.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > There's actually no nicknames I want. But meantime IMO they should reset it regularly.

> > > > >

> > > > > Disagree with you. i had to stop playing for three years because of multiple deployments, i would have been pissed off if they reset my names when i came back.

> > > >

> > > > Why? Just rename it. It's just character name.

> > > > ID is more important in GW2.

> > >

> > > If it's not important, why does it matter if character names are released or not?

> >

> > Reason is very simple. With regular name resets (once per 2 years for example) it would be MUCH easier to find some cool names for your new characters.

>

> But according to you, character names are not important. So by that logic, ANet has no reason to reset character names.

They may do it for new players for example. To make them start easier.

> @"Xar.6279" said:

> > > @"Xar.6279" said:

> > > > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > > > @"Xar.6279" said:

> > > > > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > > > > How do you know that the names you want are from people who stopped playing in 2012? Unless you’ve been checking since that time they could have stopped recently.

> > > > >

> > > > > There's actually no nicknames I want. But meantime IMO they should reset it regularly.

> > > >

> > > > Disagree with you. i had to stop playing for three years because of multiple deployments, i would have been pissed off if they reset my names when i came back.

> > >

> > > Why? Just rename it. It's just character name.

> > > ID is more important in GW2.

> >

> > If it’s just a char name then instead of asking for someone else’s character name just pick a different name.

>

> I was creating alt character few days ago and it's really hard to find free name these days. I like to have up to 5 letters in the nickname. I spent around 1-2 hours to find something what's not already used.

Wanting an ultra short name like that is a personal preference that the game doesn’t need to cater to. Again, use a last name. For example, recently I wanted a charr named Tiraz. Tiraz was taken. I added a last name and it went through.

In addition, just because names are reset doesn’t mean you’ll get the name you want. It likely won’t be available at the time you want it because it wasn’t one of the ones reset or you weren’t making a new char when it opened up.

Anet have categorically said no anyway to this. They want players to feel they can return at any time and not lose their names.

The pool of possible names is endless so there will never be the issue of finding a cool name for a character.

Any restrictions are related to a players imagination and in no way an issue caused by the game