[Suggestion] Spirit Shards vs. Laurels

> @"Jarl Grey.8135" said:

> "Spirit shards will now be earned when experience cannot go to other forms of progress, such as Masteries or gaining levels."

>

> Please give Laurels instead of Spirit Shards. Spirit Shards are kitten useless.

Unlikely to happen as that would severely devalue laurels.

Spirit shards are very useful! You can make gold with spirit shards by doing things like upgrading crafting materials. Also you can buy spirit banners now with spirit shards. Not to mention all the other things like needing them to craft legendary gear. I would love laurels but it would just crash the economy if they did that.

Perhaps take a look at gw2efficiency.com and see all the things both laurels and spirit shards can be used for.

> @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> Unlikely to happen as that would severely devalue laurels.

Laurels have no value as you get them for free for just loggin' in. And you cannot buy anything from Laurels you can sell. To earn XP you have to play the game. To farm XP, you have to play a lot. Win - Win.

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > Unlikely to happen as that would severely devalue laurels.

>

> Laurels have no value as you get them for free for just loggin' in. And you cannot buy anything from Laurels you can sell. To earn XP you have to play the game. To farm XP, you have to play a lot. Win - Win.

Um... you’re completely wrong. Players have been converting laurels to gold since they were added to the game. I’ve probably made tens of thousands from laurels across many accounts.

> > @"Ayrilana.1396" said:

> > Unlikely to happen as that would severely devalue laurels.

>

> Laurels have no value as you get them for free for just loggin' in. And you cannot buy anything from Laurels you can sell. To earn XP you have to play the game. To farm XP, you have to play a lot. Win - Win.

You are mistaken my friend. Laurels are easily converted to T3, T4, T6 trophies (crafting materials) for a significant profit. Each laurel is worth about 60-70s last I checked. I posted the url of a site you can use to know what to buy with your shards and laurels to make gold my friend. BTW you are not alone, I run into people daily who dont know about converting these seemingly useless currency into gold.

> Ok, I missed that you can buy mats from Laurels. But you can buy mats from Magic as well (easy to farm), did that crash the economy? If the exchange ratio is the problem, it can be adapted. And to make gold with Spirit Shards you have to invest heavily into other materials (and time).

It caused the value of T6 mats to drop 50% but getting enough to convert took longer than it takes to gain a level. It’s so easy to gain enough XP and farms, like the lab during Halloween, would cause the prices of the mats to drop so much more than VM ever caused.

> @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> Wrong approach. What we need is more things to do with spirit shards.

> Spirit banners are a good example. Reasonable sink for those who have many, benefits the community when used.

Yes, you are right, concerning Spirit Shards this is a different approach. But this does't change anything to the fact that there are only two sources for Laurels. One is daily login (time gated & you don't even have to play for that), the other is Achievement Chests (considering you need ~ a month to get 500 AP for one or two Laurels this is no real source).

If you give Spirit Shards, then give sth useful to do with them (and I explicitly do not mean gold conversion), AND give another source of getting Laurels (without having to create multiple accounts as I do not consider this reasonable). And just raise the price for Laurel to mats conversion to protect the economy.

Edited discussion title to represent both points.

> > @"Rauderi.8706" said:

> > Wrong approach. What we need is more things to do with spirit shards.

> > Spirit banners are a good example. Reasonable sink for those who have many, benefits the community when used.

>

> Yes, you are right, concerning Spirit Shards this is a different approach. But this does't change anything to the fact that there are only two sources for Laurels. One is daily login (time gated & you don't even have to play for that), the other is Achievement Chests (considering you need ~ a month to get 500 AP for one or two Laurels this is no real source).

>

> If you give Spirit Shards, then give sth useful to do with them (and I explicitly do not mean gold conversion), AND give another source of getting Laurels (without having to create multiple accounts as I do not consider this reasonable). And just raise the price for Laurel to mats conversion to protect the economy.

>

> Edited discussion title to represent both points.

Laurels are log in and achievement rewards. Spirit shards are level up rewards. It’s highly unlikely that Anet will change this.

We’re more likely to see them releasing fractals and raid wings multiple times per year than this change happening.

Why exactly do you want laurels to be level up rewards? Is there something specific you’re trying to obtain?

There is very little that is uniquely available for laurels. Several of the LS1 rewards *used* to be that, but have since been made available via returned festivals. I really don't see the point in increasing their availability.

Spirit Shards are also useful level up rewards as they are one of the absolutely smallest rewards they can give that isn't liquid currency such as copper.

Spirit Shards are no level up reward. You get them on Level 80 characters when there is no mastery to fill up (and from ~200 loot chests). They introduced it some time ago because we were recommending XP not getting wasted on Level 80 chars.

Laurels would fit into context because you can earn achievements and experience and then "rest on your laurels". ;-)

> Spirit Shards are no level up reward. You get them on Level 80 characters when there is no mastery to fill up (and from ~200 loot chests). They introduced it some time ago because we were recommending XP not getting wasted on Level 80 chars.

>

> Laurels would fit into context because you can earn achievements and experience and then "rest on your laurels". ;-)

Spirit shards were given for leveling up at 80 prior to masteries and were originally called skill points. When they changed to specializations, they had to get rid of the excessive amount of points, so they split them into hero points and spirit shards. That's why people complained when masteries broke them.

Laurels were originally added as a time gated currency.

Man, the spirit shard homers are the weirdest. They're somehow unable to comprehend that every single use for shards is absolutely impractical to use at scale. They are a tiny part of some recipes for valuable things that can't be created quickly in large quantities, giving an artificially inflated "value" per shard on those sites. You need to sink large amounts of other mats, gold, and time into crafting those items. So it's utterly misleading to say that if I have 14,000 shards and they're "worth" 50s each that I have a realizable asset of 7000g. The fact is that you'll always gain shards faster than you can use them.

More on topic - do I think there should be more uses for ss? Selfishly, yes, because I have truckloads of them. But practically I see why they don't. They definitely shouldn't change them to laurels, though. That's too far in the other direction.

Maybe just create some sinks, like a mini zommoros and miyani for 10,000 shards each.

> @"kratan.4619" said:

> Have about 1300 laurels now, no more use for them than the 8500 spirit shards I have.

1,300 Laurels are approximately 700 gold. The fact that you chose not to convert some of them is a personal choice.

> @"Kunzaito.8169" said:

> Man, the spirit shard homers are the weirdest. They're somehow unable to comprehend that every single use for shards is absolutely impractical to use at scale. They are a tiny part of some recipes for valuable things that can't be created quickly in large quantities, giving an artificially inflated "value" per shard on those sites. You need to sink large amounts of other mats, gold, and time into crafting those items. So it's utterly misleading to say that if I have 14,000 shards and they're "worth" 50s each that I have a realizable asset of 7000g. The fact is that you'll always gain shards faster than you can use them.

>

> More on topic - do I think there should be more uses for ss? Selfishly, yes, because I have truckloads of them. But practically I see why they don't. They definitely shouldn't change them to laurels, though. That's too far in the other direction.

>

> Maybe just create some sinks, like a mini zommoros and miyani for 10,000 shards each.

You have that backwards. The reason spirit shards retain such a high value is exactly BECAUSE it is so tedious to convert them. If it was as simple as 1 mouse click, everyone would do it. That does not change the fact though that spirit shards can be converted into a certain value. Lazyness or unwillingness to make use of a resource does not reduce that resources value (similar with gifts of exploration or obsidian shards), it merely devalues the resource to you personally.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > @"kratan.4619" said:

> > Have about 1300 laurels now, no more use for them than the 8500 spirit shards I have.

>

> 1,300 Laurels are approximately 700 gold. The fact that you chose not to convert some of them is a personal choice.

>

> > @"Kunzaito.8169" said:

> > Man, the spirit shard homers are the weirdest. They're somehow unable to comprehend that every single use for shards is absolutely impractical to use at scale. They are a tiny part of some recipes for valuable things that can't be created quickly in large quantities, giving an artificially inflated "value" per shard on those sites. You need to sink large amounts of other mats, gold, and time into crafting those items. So it's utterly misleading to say that if I have 14,000 shards and they're "worth" 50s each that I have a realizable asset of 7000g. The fact is that you'll always gain shards faster than you can use them.

> >

> > More on topic - do I think there should be more uses for ss? Selfishly, yes, because I have truckloads of them. But practically I see why they don't. They definitely shouldn't change them to laurels, though. That's too far in the other direction.

> >

> > Maybe just create some sinks, like a mini zommoros and miyani for 10,000 shards each.

>

> You have that backwards. The reason spirit shards retain such a high value is exactly BECAUSE it is so tedious to convert them. If it was as simple as 1 mouse click, everyone would do it. That does not change the fact though that spirit shards can be converted into a certain value. Lazyness or unwillingness to make use of a resource does not reduce that resources value (similar with gifts of exploration or obsidian shards), it merely devalues the resource to you personally.

For me, I am always wanting more shards as I build gen 1 legendaries in order to have the gold to build legendary armor or weapons that I want to use.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) they are ‘time gated’ (yes that’s the wrong term technically lol) behind Gift of Exploration which I loath doing....

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> You have that backwards. The reason spirit shards retain such a high value is exactly BECAUSE it is so tedious to convert them. If it was as simple as 1 mouse click, everyone would do it. That does not change the fact though that spirit shards can be converted into a certain value. Lazyness or unwillingness to make use of a resource does not reduce that resources value (similar with gifts of exploration or obsidian shards), it merely devalues the resource to you personally.

It's not backwards at all. That value is illusory - you have no practical way of realizing it. It's not possible. The value you see on GW2E is an inaccurate calculation not related at all to the spirit shard component of those items, but only to the fact that it is the "bucket" available for placing the premium in those items that require huge amounts of time (in the form of account-bound non-currency components that don't get assigned value in such calculations).

Example: I want to make the legendary MacGuffin. It requires the following four components:

250 Widgets - tradeable on the TP for 10 gold each

250 Dohickeys - tradeable on the TP for 5 gold each

1 Gift of Whatzit - account bound, requires grinding 250 of an untradeable new drop that can be accumulated at the rate of 1 per day by doing a very tedious meta that most people don't run

1 Spirit Shard

Let's say you can sell the final product on the TP for 5000 gold. After TP fees, that's 4250, a premium of 1000 gold over the calculated component costs. A site that is trying to calculate the gold value of an alternative currency doesn't have a way to quantify the Gift of Whatzit. It's not even trying to make that calculation. It assumes that ALL the profit of such an item is due to the component it is trying to analyze - the currency Spirit Shard. When in fact almost NONE of the true value is derived from the shard. So it will state that Spirit Shards have a value of 1000g when they really, really don't.

It has NOTHING to do with "laziness or unwillingness" to do anything. It isn't possible to realize those high valuations because THEY AREN'T REAL.