Honest Question: What Motivates You to Play WvW This Year?

Whiteout.1975

I am asking because I have lost all my motivation for a few years now, honestly. I am just trying to understand what you get out of WvW as a player. Like does winning the match matter to you? Are you just in it for what rewards do exist? Is it some made-up reason for which the game mode does not recognize? Or . . . ?

Perhaps I have an oversight, have forgotten, or just outright cannot relate. Either way, I am curious.

Anyways, thanks for any legit replies ahead of time.

**P.S.** You are welcome to state things that hurt your motivation as well, just to keep things fair here.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying different builds against others.

Coming up with weird ways to win in fights.

Learning the game more.

It's still fun To play with friends. Getting updated with our guys like how are they etc.

It's like mirc or chat. Hang out together.

If you are drained and tired and find no reason to play, take a break. :)

I also hate the game sometimes but after a break, I come back and continue to feed the game

I only just recently started playing it. It's fun but leveling up can be a pain, especially since I don't get many pips at my low level. One thing I do like about it is the siege warfare, its more unique than what you get in pvp or pve. Its pretty fun to test out new weapons and different abilities that aren't often used in the other game modes.

I do have a couple complaints:

I wish the mist map was used more often. It looks really nice but as it is it feels like an afterthought. Anet should try and make it more relevant to the game.

The pip reward chest compared to the pvp ones feel very lacking.

I wish there was actually four unique maps instead of 3 maps one of which is just mirrored.

Fixing this would go a long way to improve the game.

> @"NovaSpiral.7186" said:

> I only just recently started playing it. It's fun but leveling up can be a pain, especially since I don't get many pips at my low level. One thing I do like about it is the siege warfare, its more unique than what you get in pvp or pve. Its pretty fun to test out new weapons and different abilities that aren't often used in the other game modes.

>

> I do have a couple complaints:

> I wish the mist map was used more often. It looks really nice but as it is it feels like an afterthought. Anet should try and make it more relevant to the game.

> The pip reward chest compared to the pvp ones feel very lacking.

> I wish there was actually four unique maps instead of 3 maps one of which is just mirrored.

>

> Fixing this would go a long way to improve the game.

Eotm used to be more popular than the borderlands because it was intetworlds. It was like the casual hub. But anet nerfed it. :/

Made wvw maps more profitable which was great. But eotm was beautifully designed . It needs more love

People whining about roaming being dead when you can barely step out of spawn before you encounter random enemies will keep me entertained for a while yet.

And also people whining about downstate and how they can only kill 2 out of 4 enemies in a 1v4 fight.

I'm pretty easily entertained.

> @"Sovereign.1093" said:

> > @"NovaSpiral.7186" said:

> > I only just recently started playing it. It's fun but leveling up can be a pain, especially since I don't get many pips at my low level. One thing I do like about it is the siege warfare, its more unique than what you get in pvp or pve. Its pretty fun to test out new weapons and different abilities that aren't often used in the other game modes.

> >

> > I do have a couple complaints:

> > I wish the mist map was used more often. It looks really nice but as it is it feels like an afterthought. Anet should try and make it more relevant to the game.

> > The pip reward chest compared to the pvp ones feel very lacking.

> > I wish there was actually four unique maps instead of 3 maps one of which is just mirrored.

> >

> > Fixing this would go a long way to improve the game.

>

> Eotm used to be more popular than the borderlands because it was intetworlds. It was like the casual hub. But anet nerfed it. :/

>

> Made wvw maps more profitable which was great. But eotm was beautifully designed . It needs more love

Wow that's really depressing to hear. Sucks that I missed out on that. Seriously, you'd think they try and improve both edge of the mist and the wvw maps to try and retain as many players as possible. I just wish you could get pips from eotm. Its such a waste to have such a great looking map left wasting for no reason whatsoever.

> @"NovaSpiral.7186" said:

> > @"Sovereign.1093" said:

> > > @"NovaSpiral.7186" said:

> > > I only just recently started playing it. It's fun but leveling up can be a pain, especially since I don't get many pips at my low level. One thing I do like about it is the siege warfare, its more unique than what you get in pvp or pve. Its pretty fun to test out new weapons and different abilities that aren't often used in the other game modes.

> > >

> > > I do have a couple complaints:

> > > I wish the mist map was used more often. It looks really nice but as it is it feels like an afterthought. Anet should try and make it more relevant to the game.

> > > The pip reward chest compared to the pvp ones feel very lacking.

> > > I wish there was actually four unique maps instead of 3 maps one of which is just mirrored.

> > >

> > > Fixing this would go a long way to improve the game.

> >

> > Eotm used to be more popular than the borderlands because it was intetworlds. It was like the casual hub. But anet nerfed it. :/

> >

> > Made wvw maps more profitable which was great. But eotm was beautifully designed . It needs more love

>

> Wow that's really depressing to hear. Sucks that I missed out on that. Seriously, you'd think they try and improve both edge of the mist and the wvw maps to try and retain as many players as possible. I just wish you could get pips from eotm. Its such a waste to have such a great looking map left wasting for no reason whatsoever.

Yes. Indeed. Because eotm was intetworlds. As long as you are red blue or green in the official match, all tiers red blue green are allies fighting against each other and matches only were 4 hours. So it would be super many vs super many. Of course ppl played it like so where they captured x y z in sequence. It became an organized farm.

Of course there would be fights too. Fun way to level up then.

Lessons I see here is empathy. Got to figure out what makes us players tick and capitalize.

Eotm is fun. Just empty now because of that.

Sample

> @"Whiteout.1975" said:

> I am asking because I have lost all my motivation for a few years now, honestly. I am just trying to understand what you get out of WvW as a player. Like does winning the match matter to you? Are you just in it for what rewards do exist? Is it some made-up reason for which the game mode does not recognize? Or . . . ?

>

> Perhaps I have an oversight, have forgotten, or just outright cannot relate. Either way, I am curious.

>

> Anyways, thanks for any legit replies ahead of time.

>

> **P.S.** You are welcome to state things that hurt your motivation as well, just to keep things fair here.

Admittedly, I have only been participating in WvW for about a year, so maybe I haven't had time to full on burn out yet? But for me it was never about winning the match. The only reason I play WvW is for the smallscale, solo roaming type stuff. And while there are quiet times where fights are scarce, since the 2/25 patch at least things seem pretty active most of the time.

The rewards are pretty nice, too. I don't make a lot of gold, but I have a lifetime supply of transmute charges, a bank tab full of ascended chests, and I've unlocked all of the dungeon skins and more from PvE without having to do stupid dungeons! I am okay with this.

Still working on all the mist weapons. I should really do them in PvP...

It's more enjoyable to play staff daredevil in WvW than PvP (not so much power herald with loss of stunbreak) so that's what I'm doing when not in squad.

Also I'm not about to pay the exorbitant gouging for the over 3000 memories of battle for two legendary rings. If it takes longer then it takes longer.

> @"Infusion.7149" said:

> Still working on all the mist weapons. I should really do them in PvP...

>

> It's more enjoyable to play staff daredevil in WvW than PvP (not so much power herald with loss of stunbreak) so that's what I'm doing when not in squad.

>

> Also I'm not about to pay the exorbitant gouging for the over 3000 memories of battle for two legendary rings. If it takes longer then it takes longer.

I really should start working on my second ring. But, I want to save for a legendary gs

> @"EremiteAngel.9765" said:

> I was actually spending more time in PvE than WvW this year.

> But the legendary rings brought me back into WvW again.

> And the huge Armageddon patch made Necros stupidly strong in 1 vs 1.

> I'm just waiting for them to nerf Necros now.

Got to say I do fear minion mancers

> > @"EremiteAngel.9765" said:

> > I was actually spending more time in PvE than WvW this year.

> > But the legendary rings brought me back into WvW again.

> > And the huge Armageddon patch made Necros stupidly strong in 1 vs 1.

> > I'm just waiting for them to nerf Necros now.

>

> Got to say I do fear minion mancers

They are like their own little zerg!

I haven't played in a while either. its steadily digressed over the years and lost its focus. if I did come back it would be for the one vs many game play that drew me there in the first place, as well as coming up with off meta builds that work. actually what initially made me quit is all the damn lag. I dunno how it can be unplayable for some but fine for others, but there it is.

Making new builds and inappropriately testing them on anyone stupid enough to chase me, usually. I still miss playing a stealthless trapper thief like a meditrapper guard, that was a fun build and got me a lot of reports from people who didn't know what I just did. Messing about with friends is the core of the game mode though. If anything, I'm burning out at the moment because I've been playing long enough that the majority of the friends I've made along the way no longer play. I miss the duels and random silliness.

Stuff like bad balance, warclaw giving everyone the speed of a daredevil, getting marked from sentries, towers, keeps, random players (seriously, what doesn't mark you these days?) all make things more difficult than it was to accomplish anything solo, but it's usually fun all the same. That said, some of the new mechanics do degrade the gameplay in my opinion, stuff like auto upgrading objectives. Used to be that upgrading and holding an objective could be a guild's main task for days, with players from the guild scouting the tower and defending it's camps, and the prolonged fights and tactics you got from it is something you just don't see as much now.

I remember green holding eotm hostage for a long time where they would run blue and red off the map within the first hour. It was a massive ktrain on a map that was only meant to be a temporary holding place while in queue for the real wvw maps, where you could earn wxp like 5x faster than the actual wvw maps for years. That map showed how much rewards drives people.

As for my reason to play wvw in 2020... to slap as much burn as I can to anyone that crosses my path for all the mesmer nerfs. Winning matches and rewards stop mattering to me long ago.

> > @"NovaSpiral.7186" said:

> > I only just recently started playing it. It's fun but leveling up can be a pain, especially since I don't get many pips at my low level. One thing I do like about it is the siege warfare, its more unique than what you get in pvp or pve. Its pretty fun to test out new weapons and different abilities that aren't often used in the other game modes.

> >

> > I do have a couple complaints:

> > I wish the mist map was used more often. It looks really nice but as it is it feels like an afterthought. Anet should try and make it more relevant to the game.

> > The pip reward chest compared to the pvp ones feel very lacking.

> > I wish there was actually four unique maps instead of 3 maps one of which is just mirrored.

> >

> > Fixing this would go a long way to improve the game.

>

> Eotm used to be more popular than the borderlands because it was intetworlds. It was like the casual hub. But anet nerfed it. :/

>

> Made wvw maps more profitable which was great. But eotm was beautifully designed . It needs more love

EotM should've never existed, while the map design is cool, it promoted toxic behavior and unhealthy Ktraining. It was intended as the kids playground, however it failed in that, it never provided a motivation for the kids to grow out of it.