Thief is totally broken now.

jgeezz.7832

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Klypto.1703" said:

> Reminds me the fun in wvw of seal area and choking gas its my latest amusement just make sure your shortbow has draining and absorption sigils on it. A little ball of death for deadeye that doesn't require any rifle or stealth to it. I think I shall name this setup Choking the Choke!

I used to do the same sort of thing on daredevil with trapper runes and needle trap. Have fun ^^

> @"jgeezz.7832" said:

> With all the changes to Thief's it is officially broken. I have more HP on my Necro than i have on my thief

> Stealth is totally broken even through the DEVs and GW2 community says its not.

Hey let's do a deal: Remove all stealth from the game, give thief a lot more health.

Where do i sign?

My problem with Thief is that it *needs* stealth to survive. Mesmer doesn't, and other classes that can stealth like Engi and Ranger certainly don't need it, it just makes it easier to play them in a tactical role. But remove all stealth from a Thief build, and see how far you get.

The only build I've found that can run without stealth is Daredevil Poison Master, due to the crazy evades while doing passive damage from condi. But otherwise, the entire class being balanced around stealth means that if you can't fit it into your build, (and build options are the biggest bottleneck on Thief due to their low health, etc.) then you just get squished like a bug.

I've always disliked how "Stealth" skills are implemented in this game for that reason. It makes you weaker, not stronger. Why play my Thief and hope to get lucky when I can just charge straight into battle on my Warrior and win even 1vs2?

On that class I don't have to struggle to fit a hundred things into a single build just to not get instagibbed.

And the existence of mechanics like Deadeye removing Revealed has cranked the nerfs up to 11. The irony here is that Deadeye should've been the single class in the game capable of playing without stealth at all due to being an archetypal sniper. But they depend on stealth more than even Core Thief or Daredevil, which is a bad design on top of existing bad designs.

"Just because we exist in the shadows does not mean we are afraid to stand in the light" - Dark Templar

• 2 months later...

Sure sure, target for anyone. When thief literally has unlimited invincibility. Low health you say? Easy. You got 3 Dashes, cloak and dagger to stealth you for 4 Sec, blinding powder for another 4 seconds stealth, and a stability "Immune to all takedowns". And last but not least, shadow step that would break stun, as well as shadowsteps you to an area that's 1200 radius away where your heal would already be ready by then. And you call that broken? Nah my friend. I think thief should literally be nerfed. And it literally has no counter. Mesmer's now nothing when it comes to thief. Should we call thief "The strongest class" perhaps?

> @"Protrickshotz.3420" said:

> Sure sure, target for anyone. When thief literally has unlimited invincibility. Low health you say? Easy. You got 3 Dashes, cloak and dagger to stealth you for 4 Sec, blinding powder for another 4 seconds stealth, and a stability "Immune to all takedowns". And last but not least, shadow step that would break stun, as well as shadowsteps you to an area that's 1200 radius away where your heal would already be ready by then. And you call that broken? Nah my friend. I think thief should literally be nerfed. And it literally has no counter. Mesmer's now nothing when it comes to thief. Should we call thief "The strongest class" perhaps?

If thief had no counter then they would be wanted everywhere instead no no where. Unlimited invincibility against you specifically doesn't mean they have unlimited invincibility. If that build you described is actually hurting you then it's likely as glass as you are and so you have build choices to make, it's not anyone else's choice.

> @"Protrickshotz.3420" said:

> Sure sure, target for anyone. When thief literally has unlimited invincibility. Low health you say? Easy. You got 3 Dashes, cloak and dagger to stealth you for 4 Sec, blinding powder for another 4 seconds stealth, and a stability "Immune to all takedowns". And last but not least, shadow step that would break stun, as well as shadowsteps you to an area that's 1200 radius away where your heal would already be ready by then. And you call that broken? Nah my friend. I think thief should literally be nerfed. And it literally has no counter. Mesmer's now nothing when it comes to thief. Should we call thief "The strongest class" perhaps?

Thief does not have access to stability boon anymore via daggerstorm, it's just classified as an evade. You may need to increase your skill cap when dealing with thieves, and possibly create a better build to match. It's not the Thief, its you.

> @"aspirine.6852" said:

> Strongest defense in the game.. I agree it is totally broken..

Blowing all of your utility to maybe avoid being one shot only to hope you can reset because you actually have no defense isn't the strongest defense. Also before you mention it stealth isn't a defense.

> @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> My problem with Thief is that it *needs* stealth to survive. Mesmer doesn't, and other classes that can stealth like Engi and Ranger certainly don't need it, it just makes it easier to play them in a tactical role. But remove all stealth from a Thief build, and see how far you get.

>

> The only build I've found that can run without stealth is Daredevil Poison Master, due to the crazy evades while doing passive damage from condi. But otherwise, the entire class being balanced around stealth means that if you can't fit it into your build, (and build options are the biggest bottleneck on Thief due to their low health, etc.) then you just get squished like a bug.

>

> I've always disliked how "Stealth" skills are implemented in this game for that reason. It makes you weaker, not stronger. Why play my Thief and hope to get lucky when I can just charge straight into battle on my Warrior and win even 1vs2?

>

> On that class I don't have to struggle to fit a hundred things into a single build just to not get instagibbed.

>

> And the existence of mechanics like Deadeye removing Revealed has cranked the nerfs up to 11. The irony here is that Deadeye should've been the single class in the game capable of playing without stealth at all due to being an archetypal sniper. But they depend on stealth more than even Core Thief or Daredevil, which is a bad design on top of existing bad designs.

>

> "Just because we exist in the shadows does not mean we are afraid to stand in the light" - Dark Templar

Well, thematically it makes sense that deadeye uses stealth. Sniper's usually try to stay hidden while sniping their targets, don't they?

I think it makes more sense the way it is, at least thematically. Daredevil should be the elite spec you go for if you want to play without stealth, since daredevil's focus is on the acrobatic theme of the thief instead. And they achieve that, since your survivability on daredevil comes from evading instead, as you mentioned.

If all you ever do is stick with the tried and true tradition of being +1 one trick pony bot, yes. Thief has plenty of potential, but nobody wants to explore. Everyone scoffed at Ebola until d/p got nerfed to the point they had to explore. Nobody believed the amount of survivability it had or the unholy stacks of damaging conditions it could pump out in the right hands until they had to. But once it gained notoriety, and it gained it fast, it immediately got pummeled with the nerf bat.

It's pretty simple, the rogue class in this game is no longer the high mobility bursty glass spec that it was obviously designed as just as they are in every mmo. The sustain is to high, thief burst to low. Whiny players that got killed by a burst thief whined enough to get them nerfed instead of learning to fight them and 2 shot them and the devs are ....... enough to listen to them. Also over time classes with more sustain and sustain damage got their bursts buffed in relation to thiefs and now do more than thief. Now thief can't even +1 very effectively and is just best as a cap runner. Also over time mobility and burst like condi aoe's are being handed to sustain classes like candy and oh sh.. buttons like shrouds and barriers are getting stronger in relation to over all damage being done. Balance in this game is trash, balance team is trash= pvp modes are trash= filled with a player base that loves this spammy carrywars2 game that gw2 has turned into where if u bandwagon to the right class u can get great success with zero work or learning curve. Honestly it amazes me u guys are still wasting ur time on this trash.

Oh oh I feel another forum ban comming oh my lol.

> @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> It's pretty simple, the rogue class in this game is no longer the high mobility bursty glass spec that it was obviously designed as just as they are in every mmo. The sustain is to high, thief burst to low. Whiny players that got killed by a burst thief whined enough to get them nerfed instead of learning to fight them and 2 shot them and the devs are ....... enough to listen to them. Also over time classes with more sustain and sustain damage got their bursts buffed in relation to thiefs and now do more than thief. Now thief can't even +1 very effectively and is just best as a cap runner. Also over time mobility and burst like condi aoe's are being handed to sustain classes like candy and oh sh.. buttons like shrouds and barriers are getting stronger in relation to over all damage being done. Balance in this game is trash, balance team is trash= pvp modes are trash= filled with a player base that loves this spammy carrywars2 game that gw2 has turned into where if u bandwagon to the right class u can get great success with zero work or learning curve. Honestly it amazes me u guys are still wasting ur time on this trash.

> Oh oh I feel another forum ban comming oh my lol.

It amazes me some people don't enjoy the game and yet they stick around just to convience (I guess?) other people on the forum that they shouldn't like the game either. If playing the game someone enjoys is "wasting their time", then you should really take a good look at what you're doing here instead.

> @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > It's pretty simple, the rogue class in this game is no longer the high mobility bursty glass spec that it was obviously designed as just as they are in every mmo. The sustain is to high, thief burst to low. Whiny players that got killed by a burst thief whined enough to get them nerfed instead of learning to fight them and 2 shot them and the devs are ....... enough to listen to them. Also over time classes with more sustain and sustain damage got their bursts buffed in relation to thiefs and now do more than thief. Now thief can't even +1 very effectively and is just best as a cap runner. Also over time mobility and burst like condi aoe's are being handed to sustain classes like candy and oh sh.. buttons like shrouds and barriers are getting stronger in relation to over all damage being done. Balance in this game is trash, balance team is trash= pvp modes are trash= filled with a player base that loves this spammy carrywars2 game that gw2 has turned into where if u bandwagon to the right class u can get great success with zero work or learning curve. Honestly it amazes me u guys are still wasting ur time on this trash.

> > Oh oh I feel another forum ban comming oh my lol.

>

> It amazes me some people don't enjoy the game and yet they stick around just to convience (I guess?) other people on the forum that they shouldn't like the game either. If playing the game someone enjoys is "wasting their time", then you should really take a good look at what you're doing here instead.

I enjoy the the forums more than the game :)

> @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

> > > It's pretty simple, the rogue class in this game is no longer the high mobility bursty glass spec that it was obviously designed as just as they are in every mmo. The sustain is to high, thief burst to low. Whiny players that got killed by a burst thief whined enough to get them nerfed instead of learning to fight them and 2 shot them and the devs are ....... enough to listen to them. Also over time classes with more sustain and sustain damage got their bursts buffed in relation to thiefs and now do more than thief. Now thief can't even +1 very effectively and is just best as a cap runner. Also over time mobility and burst like condi aoe's are being handed to sustain classes like candy and oh sh.. buttons like shrouds and barriers are getting stronger in relation to over all damage being done. Balance in this game is trash, balance team is trash= pvp modes are trash= filled with a player base that loves this spammy carrywars2 game that gw2 has turned into where if u bandwagon to the right class u can get great success with zero work or learning curve. Honestly it amazes me u guys are still wasting ur time on this trash.

> > > Oh oh I feel another forum ban comming oh my lol.

> >

> > It amazes me some people don't enjoy the game and yet they stick around just to convience (I guess?) other people on the forum that they shouldn't like the game either. If playing the game someone enjoys is "wasting their time", then you should really take a good look at what you're doing here instead.

>

> I enjoy the the forums more than the game :)

Which changes nothing about my previous post ;)

> @"kash.9213" said:

> > @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > Strongest defense in the game.. I agree it is totally broken..

>

> Blowing all of your utility to maybe avoid being one shot only to hope you can reset because you actually have no defense isn't the strongest defense. Also before you mention it stealth isn't a defense.

Stealth is really invisibility in this game. And yes this is without a doubt the best defense in this game..

> @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > @"kash.9213" said:

> > > @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > > Strongest defense in the game.. I agree it is totally broken..

> >

> > Blowing all of your utility to maybe avoid being one shot only to hope you can reset because you actually have no defense isn't the strongest defense. Also before you mention it stealth isn't a defense.

>

> Stealth is really invisibility in this game. And yes this is without a doubt the best defense in this game..

Only for players who know nothing of thief gameplay. ;^)

> @"Zacchary.6183" said:

> > @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > > @"kash.9213" said:

> > > > @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > > > Strongest defense in the game.. I agree it is totally broken..

> > >

> > > Blowing all of your utility to maybe avoid being one shot only to hope you can reset because you actually have no defense isn't the strongest defense. Also before you mention it stealth isn't a defense.

> >

> > Stealth is really invisibility in this game. And yes this is without a doubt the best defense in this game..

>

> Only for players who know nothing of thief gameplay. ;^)

No I think it is invisibility for everyone..

> @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > @"Zacchary.6183" said:

> > > > @"kash.9213" said:

> > > > > @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > > > > Strongest defense in the game.. I agree it is totally broken..

> > > >

> > > > Blowing all of your utility to maybe avoid being one shot only to hope you can reset because you actually have no defense isn't the strongest defense. Also before you mention it stealth isn't a defense.

> > >

> > > Stealth is really invisibility in this game. And yes this is without a doubt the best defense in this game..

> >

> > Only for players who know nothing of thief gameplay. ;^)

>

> No I think it is invisibility for everyone..

I was referring to the "best defense in this game" part.

> @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > @"kash.9213" said:

> >

> > Blowing all of your utility to maybe avoid being one shot only to hope you can reset because you actually have no defense isn't the strongest defense. Also before you mention it stealth isn't a defense.

>

> Stealth is really invisibility in this game. And yes this is without a doubt the best defense in this game..

Stealth by itself is by far not even a good defense, let alone "the best" one.

> @"aspirine.6852" said:

> > @"kash.9213" said:

> >

>

Have you tried playing a class with access to actual Invulnerability?

> @"Laila Lightness.8742" said:

> Thief got highest burst dmg , stealth , alot of evades and dodges

Funny considering I see power mirages, reapers axe, necros elites auto's ffs lol, ele burst, power rev bursts, dh burst and holo bursts far more and more consistently than my dp teefs 4-6k back stabs and 4k HS's. And a lot of those classes have in fight sustain out the a$$ on top. Thief pd burst can be devastating if opponent has no clears but that cuz poison and burn can be stacked to easily these days and not a isolated problem of thief but of condis as a whole.