Sometimes I feel LW chapter bosses aren't designed for solo play

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Linthenius.3704" said:

> Not trying to complain about difficulty. But the bosses typically end up being more of a bullet hell simulator then actual boss fights at times. Also damage sponges when solo. Is that just how they are designed to encourage bringing groups?

A lot of the bosses in living world have unique mechanics to them. Sometimes you need to weaken/damage them with special action skills or other non traditional combat mechanics. If you ignore these mechanics and only use regular combat skills, the fights will take forever and bosses might not progress to different phases. Additionally, if you arent using dps gear the fights will go pretty slowly.

> @"Paradoxoglanis.1904" said:

> > @"Linthenius.3704" said:

> > Not trying to complain about difficulty. But the bosses typically end up being more of a bullet hell simulator then actual boss fights at times. Also damage sponges when solo. Is that just how they are designed to encourage bringing groups?

>

> A lot of the bosses in living world have unique mechanics to them. Sometimes you need to weaken/damage them with special action skills or other non traditional combat mechanics. If you ignore these mechanics and only use regular combat skills, the fights will take forever and bosses might not progress to different phases. Additionally, if you arent using dps gear the fights will go pretty slowly.

Its not that i'm having trouble with the mechanics. Its mostly that the bosses tend to just have to much health for one person at times. Just finished season 4 chapter 2, and the one end boss I understood what must be done perfectly fine. Break the fire rocks and take those drops and blast the glowing marks when they pop up. But combined with the boss being a big damage sponge and there being a million other things to avoid it just got a bit annoying.

You're not alone in thinking this. On the flip side, there are other bosses that are insanely simple in single-player, even when they're supposed to be big baddies in the story.

Striking the balance is tough to do, but when they miss, the forums are usually quick to say so.

Do them alone when you can, recruit buddies when you can't. It all comes out in the wash.

> But the bosses typically end up being more of a bullet hell simulator then actual boss fights at times. Also damage sponges when solo.

I've always felt the bosses to be the least worth-the-effort parts of the game. The ones where you *MUST* throw some landscape trash at them for your five second window of damage? Why did I master all of these skills for 80 levels just to wind up throwing rocks? Then the big insult of the insta-rez when you get downed because they designed the attacks to negate the all important dodges that are the hallmark of the game. And don't even get me started with the CC on the adds! Imagine the screaming if the competitive players had knockdowns or immobs that lasted that long.

And then they bug and you have to leave the instance and do it all over again.

> @"thepenmonster.3621" said:

> And then they bug and you have to leave the instance and do it all over again.

I know the feeling... Internet died out for 10 seconds during the final encounter for one of these chapters a few days ago. Just long enough to disconnect me from the game. I was absolutely pissed.

> Not trying to complain about difficulty. But the bosses typically end up being more of a bullet hell simulator then actual boss fights at times. Also damage sponges when solo. Is that just how they are designed to encourage bringing groups?

Well it depends. What kind of builds are you running ? Does it have some synergy that makes sense? Are you at least in exotics ? Personally I have never had any problem with the health of enemies in living chapter.

> > But the bosses typically end up being more of a bullet hell simulator then actual boss fights at times. Also damage sponges when solo.

>

> I've always felt the bosses to be the least worth-the-effort parts of the game. The ones where you *MUST* throw some landscape trash at them for your five second window of damage? Why did I master all of these skills for 80 levels just to wind up throwing rocks? Then the big insult of the insta-rez when you get downed because they designed the attacks to negate the all important dodges that are the hallmark of the game. And don't even get me started with the CC on the adds! Imagine the screaming if the competitive players had knockdowns or immobs that lasted that long.

>

> And then they bug and you have to leave the instance and do it all over again.

What kind of “attacks that negates dodges” are you talking about ?. Never encountered that personally. Are you sure you are not timing it wrong ?

Edit: other than that I don’t really understand the complaint about environmental objects. They have been in the game since the beginning (yes even in core) and they also more freedom of what build to use.

> > @"thepenmonster.3621" said:

>

> > And then they bug and you have to leave the instance and do it all over again.

>

> I know the feeling... Internet died out for 10 seconds during the final encounter for one of these chapters a few days ago. Just long enough to disconnect me from the game. I was absolutely pissed.

>

>

Yep. Tedious AND buggy. That's the worst duo since Dennis Rodman and Jean-Claude van Damme. They're not worth doing more than once IMO and even once is too much for some of them. * AHEM*mordremoth*HEM*

Which boss are you having issues with? ive done them all solo on both an ele(zerker) and a ranger, and they both had different bosses they struggled with.

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> You are in luck. At about Episode 5 of Season 4 Arenanet decided to make story instances a real joke, a trend that continues to this day.

Yes, how dare they. /s

Story bosses should be easy for an average player, which would make them cake walks for above average or good players and due to that i havent fought a boss that was fun in a long time. They all die far to fast if you are specced for damage, and most of them can one or two shot you if they hit because thats what anet understands challange to be.

They have all these mechanics set up out in the open world and in raids, strikes etc that they could bring to story bosses, but they dont. The few they have done that with are probably the better bosses they can offer, and even then due being made for the average player they cant be to hard. Thats not a problem, its a good thing by design, but itd be nice to have challenge motes for each boss.

> You are in luck. At about Episode 5 of Season 4 Arenanet decided to make story instances a real joke, a trend that continues to this day.

You may be playing different living story than me, because for me some of those cases you mentioned as being a joke are still way too annoying.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > You are in luck. At about Episode 5 of Season 4 Arenanet decided to make story instances a real joke, a trend that continues to this day.

> You may be playing different living story than me, because for me some of those cases you mentioned as being a joke are still way too annoying.

Well annoying for you maybe, different players, different skill levels, different patience levels. Ever since Joko died the story took a nose dive and has been a walk in the park for me. Outside some achievements that is, some of them provide enough of a challenge. But there is some hope, judging by the fight with Almorra, that this downward trend will finally stop, we'll see.

> > But the bosses typically end up being more of a bullet hell simulator then actual boss fights at times. Also damage sponges when solo.

>

> I've always felt the bosses to be the least worth-the-effort parts of the game. The ones where you *MUST* throw some landscape trash at them for your five second window of damage? Why did I master all of these skills for 80 levels just to wind up throwing rocks? Then the big insult of the insta-rez when you get downed because they designed the attacks to negate the all important dodges that are the hallmark of the game. And don't even get me started with the CC on the adds! Imagine the screaming if the competitive players had knockdowns or immobs that lasted that long.

>

Lol so true for landscape trash. I was doing LWS4 yesterday, at Episode 2. Need to fight this big ass inquest robot that attacked this Village of Charr. Fight was so freaking tough and u literally have to keep throwing the stupid landscape trash at it lol. God also knows how many times I got downed and get insta rezed.

I'm fairly new to the game but just wanted to share my 2 cents. I've been playing MMORPGs since 2003. Most of them (not all) are very generic with a similar trend. I made an account for GW2 about three years ago. Played for a week then left not because I didn't enjoy it but because I had real life priorities. Two months ago I decided to give a shot again. Playing about 3-4 hours a day since most of us are in quarantine.

One of the most draws I find in this game is they don't spoon feed you. There is a lot of information available but yet a lot of missing information as well. Sounds confusing but it's true. I would rather get downed in game 99 times to learn how the boss, monster, enemy (whatever you want to call it) operates than go in to an encounter guns ablaze and kill a boss in less than 20 seconds. This for me is something that separates GW2's concept of playing from other games out there. The most important thing here is to enjoy. You might get irritated from getting downed numerous times but you can also learn from that so it can be avoided in the future.

For the record, I died 27 times total during the Balthazar fight and yes I keep tabs/notes.

But there is some hope, judging by the fight with Almorra, that this downward trend will finally stop, we'll see.

If they do another fight like that, i hope they make it so your stats change too, so that are set up like the person you would be playing as. Playing that fight through on my ele wasnt fun at all, i lost access to all the skills i use to survive and gained nothing. Much like the Caithe mission, which was just as awful.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> But there is some hope, judging by the fight with Almorra, that this downward trend will finally stop, we'll see.

>

> If they do another fight like that, i hope they make it so your stats change too, so that are set up like the person you would be playing as. Playing that fight through on my ele wasnt fun at all, i lost access to all the skills i use to survive and gained nothing. Much like the Caithe mission, which was just as awful.

True. I was more talking about the fight being exciting for once and not sleep inducing like the rest of the Icebrood Saga (Icesnooze as I like to call it). Not being able to use your own character's abilities isn't something I like either.

> True. I was more talking about the fight being exciting for once and not sleep inducing like the rest of the Icebrood Saga (Icesnooze as I like to call it). Not being able to use your own character's abilities isn't something I like either.

I actually prefer the pacing and build up in Season 4 better than hopping all over the place in the seasons 1-4.

But the bosses are never really exciting.

Most bosses are either AoE spam or punching bags with inflated HP pools.

And the Fraenir even has another layer of cheap and fake difficulty with that screen border effect, which causes the fight to negatively affect my eyes more than my characters' health.

I genuinely don't know what bosses aren't designed for solo play because none of them ever gave me any issues. Some of them have annoying things like multiple phases where you have to do a mechanic, 25% damage, mechanic, 25% damage etc. that is kind of annoying, but none of them are too tanky or hard to deal with.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

> But there is some hope, judging by the fight with Almorra, that this downward trend will finally stop, we'll see.

>

> If they do another fight like that, i hope they make it so your stats change too, so that are set up like the person you would be playing as. Playing that fight through on my ele wasnt fun at all, i lost access to all the skills i use to survive and gained nothing. Much like the Caithe mission, which was just as awful.

Wait, what? You know you don't lose access to any of your skills, traits or stats in that fight, right?

Ryland's flame chainsword is an _optional_ bundle that you can toggle on and off with the special action key. That gives you 5 extra weapon skills that you can use in addition to your normal profession skills if you want but otherwise you can just keep on using your profession skills. Either way you keep your heal, utility and elite skills.

> @"Pifil.5193" said:

> > @"Dante.1763" said:

> > > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > But there is some hope, judging by the fight with Almorra, that this downward trend will finally stop, we'll see.

> >

> > If they do another fight like that, i hope they make it so your stats change too, so that are set up like the person you would be playing as. Playing that fight through on my ele wasnt fun at all, i lost access to all the skills i use to survive and gained nothing. Much like the Caithe mission, which was just as awful.

>

> Wait, what? You know you don't lose access to any of your skills, traits or stats in that fight, right?

>

> Ryland's flame chainsword is an _optional_ bundle that you can toggle on and off with the special action key. That gives you 5 extra weapon skills that you can use in addition to your normal profession skills if you want but otherwise you can just keep on using your profession skills. Either way you keep your heal, utility and elite skills.

Plus his skills are literally the most overpowered in the entire game, minus Caithe's insanely op stuff and Sohothin^^

> > @"Paradoxoglanis.1904" said:

> > > @"Linthenius.3704" said:

> > > Not trying to complain about difficulty. But the bosses typically end up being more of a bullet hell simulator then actual boss fights at times. Also damage sponges when solo. Is that just how they are designed to encourage bringing groups?

> >

> > A lot of the bosses in living world have unique mechanics to them. Sometimes you need to weaken/damage them with special action skills or other non traditional combat mechanics. If you ignore these mechanics and only use regular combat skills, the fights will take forever and bosses might not progress to different phases. Additionally, if you arent using dps gear the fights will go pretty slowly.

>

> Its not that i'm having trouble with the mechanics. Its mostly that the bosses tend to just have to much health for one person at times. Just finished season 4 chapter 2, and the one end boss I understood what must be done perfectly fine. Break the fire rocks and take those drops and blast the glowing marks when they pop up. But combined with the boss being a big damage sponge and there being a million other things to avoid it just got a bit annoying.

In that case consider getting full dps gear, and practice some dps rotations and burst combos. It can take some time to get used to doing dps rotations in addition to dodging and avoiding attacks.

> @"Dante.1763" said:

>

You can use your own skills in that fight by switching out Rylands sword.

> @"flog.3485" said:

> > @"thepenmonster.3621" said:

> > > @"Linthenius.3704" said:

> > > But the bosses typically end up being more of a bullet hell simulator then actual boss fights at times. Also damage sponges when solo.

> >

> > I've always felt the bosses to be the least worth-the-effort parts of the game. The ones where you *MUST* throw some landscape trash at them for your five second window of damage? Why did I master all of these skills for 80 levels just to wind up throwing rocks? Then the big insult of the insta-rez when you get downed because they designed the attacks to negate the all important dodges that are the hallmark of the game. And don't even get me started with the CC on the adds! Imagine the screaming if the competitive players had knockdowns or immobs that lasted that long.

> >

> > And then they bug and you have to leave the instance and do it all over again.

>

> What kind of “attacks that negates dodges” are you talking about ?. Never encountered that personally. Are you sure you are not timing it wrong ?

>

> Edit: other than that I don’t really understand the complaint about environmental objects. They have been in the game since the beginning (yes even in core) and they also more freedom of what build to use.

There are a handful of things that ignores evade but as far as I am aware none are in Living World stuff. One is from the Keep Construct which is a raid boss, another is Potoni which is in Tangle Depths, the rest are from players abilities.

There is also shocking aura but that is only relevant if you are using an attack that also evades.