Change suggestion on Brave Stride

Lan Deathrider.5910

This trait is bad. It has a niche use in Power Berserker FotM/Raid builds for an initial stability to fuel Headbutt, but other than that it is lackluster and pales in comparison to Peak Performance.

I suggest 2 changes.

First change: Have Brave Stride grant 2 stacks of stability for 1s when using a movement skill. No ICD.

This change would not affect the above build since Headbutt is itself a movement skill.

Reasoning: There is lots of CCs these days, and the Warrior needs to be able to stay on target, but also to get to the target. The duration is short, long enough to get to the target and get a hit in without being CC'd.

This by itself is a strong change as it would give certain weapon sets a few sources of very short duration stability stacks that would help in landing key follow up skills. I suggest no ICD since the duration is so short. It would be possible to use several movement skills in succession to maintain stability in the short term, however you would not be able to perma maintain it, and would have to blow your utility slots to do that.

Second Change: Have Brave Stride increase the distance traveled by each movement skill by 300 units.

Reasoning: I think this should only be put in IF Anet keeps CC's from doing damage. IF their damage is returned even if in part then this should not be added. However, baring that Warrior is typically pigeon holed into double melee, and while we have a decent selection of movement skills, they are not instant. This change would help get to the target and stay on target.

I am aware that this would create a few 1500 range and 1300 range movement skills. I'm fine with that. This would make Warrior the only core profession with a 1500 movement skill, which balances out the fact that there is a core profession with 1500 base range on a weapon set.

Again I only think the distance increase should be added in if CCs are kept at noodle damage levels since half of the Warrior's movement skills are CCs.

@"Lan Deathrider.5910"

The first change is more plausible if beeing added, altough the 2 changes combined would make great competitor against Restorative Might and Peak Performance.

Unless our range's options are beeing improved, I don't see why we can't be a little more dangerous in melee. The added distance isn't op and seems really well balanced.

2 stacks of stability for 1 seconds promotes more reactive gameplay decisions with a small, but helpfull reward if timed right.

> @"Edge.8724" said:

> @"Lan Deathrider.5910"

>

> The first change is more plausible if beeing added, altough the 2 changes combined would make great competitor against Restorative Might and Peak Performance.

I think either is plausible, both maybe not so much. One of them could be thrown into Warrior's Sprint or Last Stand whenever they update it. But Brave Stride is currently a stability trait, so at least the stability change should go there. It would be a strong competitor to PP, but RM itself is still /meh unless you are running Phalanx Strength.

> Unless our range's options are beeing improved, I don't see why we can't be a little more dangerous in melee. The added distance isn't op and seems really well balanced.

They missed the boat on the rifle rework by reducing the damage as much as they did. Thanks for the feedback.

> 2 stacks of stability for 1 seconds promotes more reactive gameplay decisions with a small, but helpfull reward if timed right.

I thought so as well. I was going to put 2s instead of 1s, but boon duration is a thing and in WvW that 2s easily becomes 4s and then you'd have perma stability on Warriors which would be OP. A 1s duration is fine and gets the job done, and is enough to keep things like Earthshaker, Eviscerate, and Rush from being interrupted at the expense of less damage overall.

To be honest I’m happy with just the stability on movement skills. I would actually say 2 stab stacks for 2 seconds and not one. A 100% boon duration warrior is gimped anyway. The movement extensions is probably just too far though and would likely cause some buggy animation problems like savage leap (even though I think it sounds super fun and would selfishly enjoy it).

> @"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:

> This trait is bad. It has a niche use in Power Berserker FotM/Raid builds for an initial stability to fuel Headbutt, but other than that it is lackluster and pales in comparison to Peak Performance.

>

> I suggest 2 changes.

>

> First change: Have Brave Stride grant 2 stacks of stability for 1s when using a movement skill. No ICD.

> This change would not affect the above build since Headbutt is itself a movement skill.

>

> Reasoning: There is lots of CCs these days, and the Warrior needs to be able to stay on target, but also to get to the target. The duration is short, long enough to get to the target and get a hit in without being CC'd.

>

> This by itself is a strong change as it would give certain weapon sets a few sources of very short duration stability stacks that would help in landing key follow up skills. I suggest no ICD since the duration is so short. It would be possible to use several movement skills in succession to maintain stability in the short term, however you would not be able to perma maintain it, and would have to blow your utility slots to do that.

>

> Second Change: Have Brave Stride increase the distance traveled by each movement skill by 300 units.

>

> Reasoning: I think this should only be put in IF Anet keeps CC's from doing damage. IF their damage is returned even if in part then this should not be added. However, baring that Warrior is typically pigeon holed into double melee, and while we have a decent selection of movement skills, they are not instant. This change would help get to the target and stay on target.

>

> I am aware that this would create a few 1500 range and 1300 range movement skills. I'm fine with that. This would make Warrior the only core profession with a 1500 movement skill, which balances out the fact that there is a core profession with 1500 base range on a weapon set.

>

> Again I only think the distance increase should be added in if CCs are kept at noodle damage levels since half of the Warrior's movement skills are CCs.

Although I don't play the game anymore just wanted to say that u and a few others are good for this class, keep it up.

> @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> To be honest I’m happy with just the stability on movement skills. I would actually say 2 stab stacks for 2 seconds and not one. A 100% boon duration warrior is kitten anyway. The movement extensions is probably just too far though and would likely cause some buggy animation problems like savage leap (even though I think it sounds super fun and would selfishly enjoy it).

As far as damage goes you are right that a 100% boon duration build doesn't go far, but it would still create a Warrior that would then be almost impossible to CC outside of boon corrupts and that has to be taken into account.

Yeah, the movement skills can be buggy, but that is something that Anet needs to fix. I too would selfishly enjoy it lol. Buggy animations aside it helps with their goal, get to and stay on target.

> @"Psycoprophet.8107" said:

>

> Although I don't play the game anymore just wanted to say that u and a few others are good for this class, keep it up.

Thanks! I try. I don't want to propose something beyond OP, but something that is both in the spirit of the original trait, and to make it better/usable.

> @"Blocki.4931" said:

> It will probably just get reapplied while in combat instead of only at the start if they ever change it.

>

> I hope they consider some of the ideas people have, yours are pretty good.

Thanks! You are right in that reapplication would also be a solution, but the single stack isn't really worth taking the trait for. I'd take reapplication and a movement skill distance increase though.

second change is almost impossible because anet will never buff warrior mobility, if they do they should start by making berserk a teleport. anyway

as of first change, i'd like changes that's less related to Greatsword, but more general application, greatsword is not warrior's only weapon after all

as of stab 1 stack for 2 second would be way more realistic and fair

> @"Lighter.5631" said:

> second change is almost impossible because anet will never buff warrior mobility, if they do they should start by making berserk a teleport. anyway

That will never happen. Not that I wouldn't abuse the fck out of if it did though.

> as of first change, i'd like changes that's less related to Greatsword, but more general application, greatsword is not warrior's only weapon after all

So these changes. Cool.

> as of stab 1 stack for 2 second would be way more realistic and fair

I'm looking ahead to 1vX fights where there is more CC to deal with. Both stacks are corruptible though so its not like it doesn't have a direct counter.

I like the first suggestion. Head Butt should be reworked to not provide bonus damage anymore (for obvious reasons) so self-stun with stability is no longer possible.

The 2nd suggestion would be too much work as my guess is they would have to adjust animations on all warrior mobility skills, their cast times, speed, etc.

Brave Stride should be focused more around stability, that is good imo. What about a new grandmaster trait in Defense traitline that would synergize with this somehow (for example recharge stance cooldowns by 3 seconds for each boon stack stripped/removed/corrupted) for some nice synergy? Imagine that big brain gameplay with Natrual Healing.

> > @"Sobx.1758" said:

> > > @"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:

> > >No ICD.

> >

> > /doubt :p

>

> Let me have hopes and dreams! :tongue:

>

> But seriously, you are a general source of good reason, so what are your thoughts?

Not really much to say about it -considering warrior can easly spam multiple gapclosers one after another, including the ones 'ending' with hard cc, I doubt no icd on your proposed trait is that reasonable.

And I'm just not a fan of the second idea in general :p

Both of these are interesting suggestions, however they seem too strong for the current meta.

The first one would allow warriors to bypass long cooldown ward skills such as line of warding, seal area, or unsteady ground with minimal investment. That's already bad, but it would also become almost mandatory in duels for one of the reasons that bull's charge is mandatory. You'd be able to cast any movement skill to negate incoming cc, so competent warriors could reactively cast eviscerate, shield bash, breaching strike, etc in response to incoming stuns and land a guaranteed hit during the enemy's aftercast. While I agree that good timing should be rewarded, this concept seems overtuned due to the large number of affected skills and would prevent certain plays like interrupting the start of gs 3.

The second idea basically powercreeps existing builds which already run greatsword and bull's charge, it also seems technically challenging to implement with movement skills that have unusual animations such as kick, stomp, head butt, etc. Unless there was some change to make these skills require a target (which would be a massive nerf), the trait would likely promote kiting more than it would help stay on target.

In general it seems like ANet is moving away from low cd stability procs with reworks to existing traits such as crystal configuration: eclipse and unwavering avoidance. If brave stride ever gets updated I doubt that they'll keep the original theme of granting stability.

Helpful criticisms @"Sobx.1758" and @"Torqiseknite.1380".

@"cryorion.9532" Last Stand is wierd. The vigor is misplaced since most stances already mitigate damage alleviating the need to dodge and the passive Balance Stance is apparently OP. Move the vigor to restorative might. Make stances last one extra second. Make stances proc either regeneration or pulse a small heal. If you need more then add alacrity.

That is my 2c on Last Stand.

Defy Pain should proc protection on hit, 4s duration 15s CD, make it also affect Condi damage.

> @"Lighter.5631" said:

> second change is almost impossible because anet will never buff warrior mobility, if they do they should start by **MAKING BERSERK A TELEPORT**. anyway

> as of first change, i'd like changes that's less related to Greatsword, but more general application, greatsword is not warrior's only weapon after all

> as of stab 1 stack for 2 second would be way more realistic and fair

My eyes lit up when you said that ! YESSSSS

Both suggestions are too strong. Not that i dont like them. 750 range dagger f1s seem a little ridiculous but consider all the movement skills the average build has and it would be nearly unCCable.

Make Brave Stride activate on the first CC you receive instead of your first hit on an enemy. You get to shrug off the first CC to hit you per combat.

> @"Tycura.1982" said:

> Both suggestions are too strong. Not that i dont like them. 750 range dagger f1s seem a little ridiculous but consider all the movement skills the average build has and it would be nearly unCCable.

Fair. I felt 300 might be too much but I threw it out there first to gauge opinion. An increase of 150 units might be better. Again for the purpose of getting to and staying on target. The duration of the stability is low enough though that you would not be virtually immune to CC, and again boon corruption is a thing that would hard counter it.

> Make Brave Stride activate on the first CC you receive instead of your first hit on an enemy. You get to shrug off the first CC to hit you per combat.

Except that was pretty much Last Stand and you see what happened with that trait.

> > @"Tycura.1982" said:

> > Both suggestions are too strong. Not that i dont like them. 750 range dagger f1s seem a little ridiculous but consider all the movement skills the average build has and it would be nearly unCCable.

> Fair. I felt 300 might be too much but I threw it out there first to gauge opinion. An increase of 150 units might be better. Again for the purpose of getting to and staying on target. The duration of the stability is low enough though that you would not be virtually immune to CC, and again boon corruption is a thing that would hard counter it.

> > Make Brave Stride activate on the first CC you receive instead of your first hit on an enemy. You get to shrug off the first CC to hit you per combat.

>

> Except that was pretty much Last Stand and you see what happened with that trait.

Yeah it got dumpstered but balanced stance had both vigor and pulsing stab. This is only one stab per combat. Besides outside of warrior's lack of useful stability who says Brave Stride has to be stab? A trait that could give vigor or swiftness would be nice.

@"cryorion.9532"

I was thinking more on Last Stand and Defy Pain on the way into work and honestly I think Anet is going to have to give Defense the Tactics treatment and just rework the traitline. Most of the traitline is passive in nature and I'd like to see it more active.

Here is what I would change:

Minor Adept: Rename to Disciplined Stance. While in combat to give you 5s of Retaliation on a CD of 20s. Retaliation gives you 10% damage reduction and 10% condition damage reduction.

Minor Master: Make Adrenal Health activate based on the amount of adrenaline spent rather than on hitting the target.

Minor Grandmaster: Disciplined Stance also grants Regeneration for 5s. (rename it to something else, no clue though).

Defy Pain: Disciplined Stance grants Protection for 5s. Protection also reduces condition damage (-20%).

Last Stand: Reduces the CD of stances by 20% (this includes Disciplined Stance). Activating a stance grants vigor for 5s.

This gives you better control over your source of Retaliation, Regeneration, and if you trait for it a source of protection and vigor. It also gives better control of Adrenal Health and adds in some condi mitigation.