Guild Wars 2 forums - what's the deal with "kitten"?

Hello:)!

I was wondering, why is it that the word "kitten" (as a swear word?) gets used so much on these forums? It's the only community I can think of that always mentions kittens for some reason haha. My only guess is that the Guild Wars 2 forums change real swear words to the word "kitten" in forum posts but I'm not sure if this true xD.

Anyways, can someone explain to me why everybody appears to love cats so much in Guild Wars 2:)?

It's originally, and mainly, because of the filter but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has occasionally written kitten, or a variant. Either because I know what I want to say will be turned into kitten anyway, or because (if the reader knows about the filter) it could be funny.

(Although, I'm not sure how this fits within the forum rules so use at your own risk. I'm fairly certain calling another player "an absolute kitten" would still result in a warning but I'm not sure about saying things like "this boss is kitten impossible" or "I kitten loved that film!".)

If you read the word kitten in a post and seem to not get the true meaning of the sentence/post, there is an option to reveal the truth. Just click on the small Report link below the post. Don't worry, a popup will open with a copy of the post and all filters disabled. If you do not like what you see, you can pick a category, add a note and send the report. Clicking on the link and viewing the post does not lead to any actions.

> @"Taril.8619" said:

> The forum has a chat filter that replaces curses and inappropriate words with "kitten" automatically.

curses, inapropriate words, words that could be curses or inapropriate words, words that slightly resemmble words that could be curses or inapropriate words and sometimes just random stuf that someone somewhere maybe could eventually find offensive in some way, shape or form.

> @"Jayden Reese.9542" said:

> The main problem is even if I actually type out the word kitten I will still get warned like "You are a kitten" now you replaced that with a bad word not my fault but I'll get warned

Context is important that's why.

I use kitten all the time to replace swear words and never been warned, however in the context of "you're a kitten" it's obviously intended as an insult or personal attack so regardless of what the "kitten" is supposed to represent it doesn't actually matter since the context is already obvious.

A while back I posted in a discussion about the voice actors and how they sounded. I mentioned that the award for the worst 'English' accent ever should go to Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins when he attempted a Cockney accent.

Oddly it replaces words in his name but not in the London accent :)

> @"Andy.5981" said:

> A while back I posted in a discussion about the voice actors and how they sounded. I mentioned that the award for the worst 'English' accent ever should go to kitten van kitten in Mary Poppins when he attempted a Cockney accent.

>

> Oddly it replaces words in his name but not in the London accent :)

Hehe Kitten van kitten XD